ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (So, that was some weekend, huh?)

Is it it all his fault or does any of it fall on the quarter whisperer?
It‘s a great question. If I’m Card, I’m hoping for the Matt Cassell at USC treatment where I’m still being groomed to start. i have to believe that Sark is thinking the same. But he’s also got waaaay more on his plate. So it would actually fall to Milwee. Who is probably focused on the mandate: get QE ready.

but that said, I take your point, you coach the room regardless. They don’t seem to be having any sort of golden touch with Card.

but considering he got passed up on them field, it would be more 80/20 to me Card/coaching. i do agree that he’s probably not getting Sark’s personal touch. So maybe that pushes it 70/30.

But having seen the offense prior to Casey‘s hand injury, they do a good job.

I’ve heard this said: Success has many fathers. Failure is an orphan. Gilbert clearly blamed UT. I imagine Card might wind up with some hard feelings, maybe not as dramatic, and blame UT. Sark + Co will point to a long track record of dev.

we’ve had some really amazing local talent at QB. For whatever reason it never takes root for Texas. High star swings And misses. overlooking Brees, etc etc.

@Ketchum if Casey Thompson was still here, he'd be starting day one all the way to the Baylor game?

It‘s a great question. If I’m Card, I’m hoping for the Matt Cassell at USC treatment where I’m still being groomed to start. i have to believe that Sark is thinking the same. But he’s also got waaaay more on his plate. So it would actually fall to Milwee. Who is probably focused on the mandate: get QE ready.

but that said, I take your point, you coach the room regardless. They don’t seem to be having any sort of golden touch with Card.

but considering he got passed up on them field, it would be more 80/20 to me Card/coaching. i do agree that he’s probably not getting Sark’s personal touch. So maybe that pushes it 70/30.

I’ve heard this said: Success has many fathers. Failure is an orphan. Gilbert clearly blamed UT. I imagine Card might wind up with some hard feelings, maybe not as dramatic, and blame UT. Sark + Co will point to a long track record of dev.

we’ve had some really amazing local talent at QB. For whatever reason it never takes root for Texas. High star swings And misses. overlooking Brees, etc etc.

In 2022 Matt Cassel doesn’t stick with SC. Barring him winning and securing the job this season, I think think ‘22 is Card’s last with Texas as he grad transfers with what should be 3 more seasons of eligibility

Reactions: Hookem AML
If there was ever a season we needed a 5 star TE to breakout and be a mismatch nightmare, this was it. Sanders needs to be that dude with Neyor out.

@Ketchum - is the basic problem that neither one of these guys had to operate under much pressure when playing with their respective elite HS OLs/teams, and now it’s an entirely different ballgame that’s hard to adjust to?
That's a hard thing to put a finger on.

The issue with Ewers appears to be want to. He's just not instinctively in the playbook at all times.

The bottom line for me is the coach was hired to produce great quarterbacks. Don't tell me about the labor, just show me the baby.

In 2022 Matt Cassel doesn’t stick with SC. Barring him winning and securing the job this season, I think think ‘22 is Card’s last with Texas as he grad transfers with what should be 3 more seasons of eligibility
agreed

If there was ever a season we needed a 5 star TE to breakout and be a mismatch nightmare, this was it. Sanders needs to be that dude with Neyor out.
It's a great fall back option to have. Now they have to make sure and use it.

Cool. I did it mom.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: McGuapo and Ketchum
This article makes me want a drink. Koolaid hangover is setting in and we are over a month from first game. But I do appreciate the honest assessment over false sunshine.

Woof. Was this also an issue at Ohio State? If so this is not a positive trend. Perhaps he's read too many of his own press clippings.
I didn't really hear that about him at Ohio State. I think he's just learning there's an extra layer of study dedication needed at this level. Not too uncommon.

Reactions: Fatty Goodlander
You are spot on.

Other elite coaches didn't want the job.

The social justice issues at the time were very concerning for any coach coming to Texas. Band not wanting to play the Eyes of Texas? Sam getting left on the field during the song at the end of the game??? The rumors floating around about the Eyes of Texas were ugly.

They were also replacing a coach who had 4 straight bowl wins including beating Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. The Texas expectations are here are high and might not offer any job stability.

So getting an elite coach at Texas is tough.
Very fair points

That's a hard thing to put a finger on.

The issue with Ewers appears to be want to. He's just not instinctively in the playbook at all times.

Awesome. Allergic to the playbook

No one thought he would be eligible, which is why he wasn't a five-star. Hell, Texas and A&M barely even recruited him because his grade situation was so bad.
You're talking about Oklahoma State. Dexter Manley earned a degree from there not being able to read, for Christ's sake.

Sorry- missed that. Follow you pretty closely on here but may have missed it if it was on your YouTube stuff.
Kind of started on Tuesday with practice report. People rioted. It was a thing. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT