ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Stop being Fredo, start being Michael)

what was your record a month ago?

i actually mapped the same thing out after the TCU game. 7-3 at best, 5-5 at worst. My prediction is 6-4... I didn’t come up with at the beginning though. Kind of cheating after seeing 1/3 of the season.

Meyer argues that UT has a problem with player development development. I think it is more targeted than that. I would call it a problem with focus. Sure, Sterns will make it to the NFL because he has range and is a ballhawk, but Sterns, Foster, Green and Overshown are all poor to average tacklers. Likewise, Eagles has all the measurable, but both Eagles and Smith suffer from dropped balls. These problems have carried over despite new position coaches. What is thecproblem?

First time I think in my life that I’m just going to play golf on Saturday and not watch Texas OU. Texas football just isn’t enjoyable anymore

i actually mapped the same thing out after the TCU game. 7-3 at best, 5-5 at worst. My prediction is 6-4... I didn’t come up with at the beginning though. Kind of cheating after seeing 1/3 of the season.
fair enough.

Meyer argues that UT has a problem with player development development. I think it is more targeted than that. I would call it a problem with focus. Sure, Sterns will make it to the NFL because he has range and is a ballhawk, but Sterns, Foster, Green and Overshown are all poor to average tacklers. Likewise, Eagles has all the measurable, but both Eagles and Smith suffer from dropped balls. These problems have carried over despite new position coaches. What is thecproblem?
I think it's about 50 thinks and Herman has addressed about 4 of them.

As a real old timer I go back to 64 Arkansas...UT undefeated ,defending national champs and lost to the Hogs 14-13 when two point conversion failed at the end of the game..worse because the second hog td came on Ken Hatfield's punt return ..made possible when the Horns had to repunt because a player did not get off the field...crushing because 64 was gonna win another National Championship...proved it when they beat Namath and Alabama in the Orange bowl..remember we were all so sick no one could bear to read about the game the next morning..still haven't to this day

Last edited:
Reactions: Longhorn-3
Might start it tonight. I thought the early promos looked terrible and never gave it a shot.
You and me both. Played soccer all my life and didn’t want to watch a terrible sitcom dogging on it or getting details wrong and in reality they have celebrated the game by making such a positive show. Still cheesy and bad football, but have not met one person that doesn’t love it after watching, and their spouses have been hooked as well....soccer fans or not.

It’s awesome

As a real old timer I go back to 64 Arkansas...UT undefeated ,defending national champs and lost to the Hogs 14-13 when two point conversion failed at the end of the game..worse because the second hog td came on Ken Hatfield's punt return ..made possible when the Horns had to repunt when because a player did not get off the field...crushing because 64 was gonna win another National Championship...proved it when they beat Namath and Alabama in the Orange bowl..remember we were all so sick no one could bear to read about the game the next morning..still haven't to this day
You just made ME sad reading that.

Reactions: wilemon2000
You and me both. Played soccer all my life and didn’t want to watch a terrible sitcom dogging on it or getting details wrong and in reality they have celebrated the game by making such a positive show. Still cheesy and bad football, but have not met one person that doesn’t love it after watching, and their spouses have been hooked as well....soccer fans or not.

It’s awesome
It's really good. I'm five episodes in. It has ****ing heart, man.

Reactions: Horn2000
People still talk about the Gideon drop and the Crabtree loss like a family member died that day.

It was December 1st, 1979 and I was 19 years old standing on the Longhorn sideline in College Station as number 6 ranked Texas played unranked 6-5 A&M. Texas was up 7-3 as time was winding down in the second quarter, when the Aggies kicked a field goal and then kicked off to Hercules Walls.
We were headed to New Orleans to play in the Sugar Bowl on New Years Day.
The explosion of noise when Walls dropped that kick-off was A sound that will haunt me the rest of my days.

Last edited:
It was December 1st, 1979 and I was 19 years old standing on the Longhorn sideline in College Station as number 6 ranked Texas played unranked 6-5 A&M. Texas was up 7-3 as time was winding down in the second quarter, when the Aggies kicked a field goal and then kicked off to Hercules Walls.
The explosion of noise when Walls dropped that kick-off was A sound that will haunt me the rest of my days.
I was there that day, and I really agree. We had already made hotel reservations for New Orleans. After the game the Aggies were ridiculously insufferable on the long walk across campus from Kyle Field to where we were parked. Actually felt threatened and went as fast as we could

It's really good. I'm five episodes in. It has ****ing heart, man.
In one season it’s in my Top 5 already.

to take it up a further notch, decided if Sudekis would have been cast on the Office instead of Ed Helms, that show would have had another 6-8 seasons easy. That guy is nails on delivery. And Coach Beard? Come on, beautiful job.

Keeley, Nathan, Rebecca, Higgins, all nail it.

Football is Life!!!

Reactions: Ketchum
this turning very cathartic.

Reactions: borna'horn
Ketchum...Your writing in No. 2 - A loud declaration ... that explains how a Top 10 Class is more like a Top 25 than a Top 5 Class was excellent. I had read your prior articles about your recruiting research and while I had a hazy feel regarding your conclusions, I had not sufficiently understood to be able clearly to articulate them....I can now...at least as an Executive Overview.

It make up from your wording that you believe you previously quite frequently had driven home the point; my only explanation for my lack of understanding is that there often was so much material to digest, I overlooked the basic conclusion (or you might simply have needed to hit this mule a few more times with that 2X4 for it to sink in). Certainly the reaction of the UT fanbase in general, and even many of those on OrangeBloods, given their comments, have not fully understood this concept.

I find this type of analysis extremely informative and hope you continue (for not only my own education, but so I can better tune out the 'sky is falling' comments after losses like Saturday).

I know you have broken this down by position, but again I feel I do not fully appreciate the information you were delivering on a position-by-position basis. For example (and I do not know if what I am saying is correct) there might be certain keys to recruiting...let's call them Ketchum's Keys to Recruiting Classes...(that repetition of the Hard-K is quite...catching...lol) such as:
  • Take all the 5-Stars you can gather, buy or steal
  • Take all the High 4-Stars you can (and tell us...again...what is and is not a High 4-Star, which you did in No. 2, above.)
  • And when you cannot take a 5-Star or High 4-Star at a position, it is more important to take WR's who are Low 4-Stars instead of 3-Stars, but it is not as important to take a Low 4-Star over a 3-Star OG (or whatever). And do this by each position.
I make up that you feel you have given us these position conclusions before. But if for no other reason, by telling us again, we might get it...AND...you get to create the Keys to Recruiting that is branded by your name (have I sucked up enough?)

All this opens many avenues of discussion on Recruiting Strategy for UT. But before I list those topics that I would like to explore, I would like to digest Ketchum's Keys.

Gotta make the Top 10, maybe Top 5
1984 Georgia (Cotton Bowl)
Georgia 10 (9-1-1)
Texas 9 (11-0)

I was 10, I cried.

I was two months short of 10 and also cried.

I remember tearfully asking my dad, “Do you think Texas will still be #1?”

Apparently I was ahead of my time anticipating the BCS computer rankings.

Top 10 gut punch Texas losses:

1. 1961 TCU - We were cruising to our first MNC under DKR

2. 1984 Cotton Bowl - minutes away from a perfect season

3. 2008 Tech - Lost our #1 ranking in cruel fashion. The BCS computers then colluded to rub it in our face.

4. 2010 NCG - Marcel Darius and Michael Crabtree walk into a bar...

5. 1950 OU - This one is forgotten now, but we had OU beat until fumbling a punt snap late in the game. Instead of Texas winning its first MNC, OU won their first. Our coach Blair Cherry decided to resign at season’s end.

6. 1964 Arkansas - Failed 2PT conversion from repeating as national champions

7. 1970 Cotton Bowl - ND ends the 30 game win streak as we fumble a gazillion times. Texas football has never rode higher since.

8. 1978 Cotton Bowl - Would be higher if the game actually had any drama. A great season got crushed by ND.

9. 2001 Big 12 CCG - Phillip Geiggar and Craig Curry walk into a bar...

10. 1941 Baylor - This one was a tie actually. But very similar to 20 years later we were #1 and cake walking to our first MNC. Then came this inexplicable tie and the hangover loss the next week.

Last edited:
Ketchum...Your writing in No. 2 - A loud declaration ... that explains how a Top 10 Class is more like a Top 25 than a Top 5 Class was excellent. I had read your prior articles about your recruiting research and while I had a hazy feel regarding your conclusions, I had not sufficiently understood to be able clearly to articulate them....I can now...at least as an Executive Overview.

It make up from your wording that you believe you previously quite frequently had driven home the point; my only explanation for my lack of understanding is that there often was so much material to digest, I overlooked the basic conclusion (or you might simply have needed to hit this mule a few more times with that 2X4 for it to sink in). Certainly the reaction of the UT fanbase in general, and even many of those on OrangeBloods, given their comments, have not fully understood this concept.

I find this type of analysis extremely informative and hope you continue (for not only my own education, but so I can better tune out the 'sky is falling' comments after losses like Saturday).

I know you have broken this down by position, but again I feel I do not fully appreciate the information you were delivering on a position-by-position basis. For example (and I do not know if what I am saying is correct) there might be certain keys to recruiting...let's call them Ketchum's Keys to Recruiting Classes...(that repetition of the Hard-K is quite...catching...lol) such as:
  • Take all the 5-Stars you can gather, buy or steal
  • Take all the High 4-Stars you can (and tell us...again...what is and is not a High 4-Star, which you did in No. 2, above.)
  • And when you cannot take a 5-Star or High 4-Star at a position, it is more important to take WR's who are Low 4-Stars instead of 3-Stars, but it is not as important to take a Low 4-Star over a 3-Star OG (or whatever). And do this by each position.
I make up that you feel you have given us these position conclusions before. But if for no other reason, by telling us again, we might get it...AND...you get to create the Keys to Recruiting that is branded by your name (have I sucked up enough?)

All this opens many avenues of discussion on Recruiting Strategy for UT. But before I list those topics that I would like to explore, I would like to digest Ketchum's Keys.
Good stuff. I think I'm heading towards the place you want me to. When this is all done, I'll organize al;l of the info together and you guys have a handy recruiting bible to lean on for all of the various lessons.

Top 10 gut punch Texas losses:

1. 1961 TCU - We were cruising to our first MNC under DKR

2. 1984 Cotton Bowl - minutes away from a perfect season

3. 2008 Tech - Lost our #1 ranking in cruel fashion. The BCS computers then colluded to rub it in our face.

4. 2010 NCG - Marcel Darius and Michael Crabtree walk into a bar...

5. 1950 OU - This one is forgotten now, but we had OU beat until fumbling a punt snap late in the game. Instead of Texas winning its first MNC, OU won their first. Our coach Blair Cherry decided to resign at season’s end.

6. 1964 Arkansas - Failed 2PT conversion from repeating as national champions

7. 1970 Cotton Bowl - ND ends the 30 game win streak as we fumble a gazillion times. Texas football has never rode higher since.

8. 1978 Cotton Bowl - Would be higher if the game actually had any drama. A great season got crushed by ND.

9. 2001 Big 12 CCG - Phillip Geiggar and Craig Curry walk into a bar...

10. 1941 Baylor - This one was a tie actually. But very similar to 20 years later we were #1 and cake walking to our first MNC. Then came this inexplicable tie and the hangover loss the next week.
1941!!!!!!

Good stuff. I think I'm heading towards the place you want me to. When this is all done, I'll organize al;l of the info together and you guys have a handy recruiting bible to lean on for all of the various lessons.
Cannot wait for the Ketchum Keys to Successful Recruiting Classes. Also once I have that bible I can drop my subscription...lol.

Will the Minister of Culture play you when they make the College Football version of Moneyball?

Yeah, but one was actually the national title game.
No doubt! What I was also thinking was that Mack had Texas competing for a NC in 3 years! Same as if we win in Lubbock. People tend to say it took Mack 7 years. Yes, it was 7 years to win one but he was competing in 3 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT