ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Talking Buechele, Carrington, Shaka and more...)

I wasn’t trying to be ugly. I probably should have been less flippant. I don’t condone anything Nasser or Harding did. Although they are completely different cases and levels, a reasonable discussion can be had (apparently not here) about the effects of an abusive (mental and physical) childhood and/or mental disorders on our society. Have no idea what Nasser’s childhood was like and don’t know what to believe on Harding’s. But our society should want to dig deep into these effects on people and how it may manifest into horrible adult behavior. Everyone is quick to slam Nassr’s nuts in a vice or worse (and is my initial reaction, especially as a dad of two girls). But after we punish these folks we need to address why they did what they did and try to change and avoid it in other people with same circumstances/influences. We can’t just judge and punish people and not try to avoid addressing any underlying influences.

P.S. not sure any of this belongs on a Sports website anyway.

You're right that this is an odd topic for sports website. But Ketch has the SJW moniker for a reason. He consistently injects these discussions into the board. Most of the time, I don't mind it. But I'm not a fan of this one. As my wife (from nam) often tells me, I should have just kept my mouth shut.

image.jpg
I hate that it's true, but what have you seen from the last 20+ years that would lead you to believe otherwise?

You're right that this is an odd topic for sports website. But Ketch has the SJW moniker for a reason. He consistently injects these discussions into the board. Most of the time, I don't mind it. But I'm not a fan of this one. As my wife (from nam) often tells me, I should have just kept my mouth shut.
You really should listen to your wife more.

We all could probably do so.

You really should listen to your wife more.

We all could probably do so.

Agree I should listen to my wife more. I'm not scared to admit that I out-kicked my coverage.

I don't think you fully understand my position. You couldn't be making that any clearer. When J Tull is liking your point, you're making a shitty point.

I don't know J Tull, so I'm not going to respond to that kind of an attack. Obviously, I'm not making my point well. So I'll try to clarify it: if you want to start a social justice discussion about the cause of Tanya Harding's behavior being her upbringing and prior abuse, that's fine. It's an important topic and worthy of discussion in our society. We can agree on that.

My problem is with your couching it in the tone of feeling sorry for Harding. It starts the discussion off by marginalizing or reducing the importance of individual responsibility. That's just my opinion. I'm okay if you disagree.

Reactions: DanielSucks
Agree I should listen to my wife more. I'm not scared to admit that I out-kicked my coverage.

I don't know J Tull, so I'm not going to respond to that kind of an attack. Obviously, I'm not making my point well. So I'll try to clarify it: if you want to start a social justice discussion about the cause of Tanya Harding's behavior being her upbringing and prior abuse, that's fine. It's an important topic and worthy of discussion in our society. We can agree on that.

My problem is with your couching it in the tone of feeling sorry for Harding. It starts the discussion off by marginalizing or reducing the importance of individual responsibility. That's just my opinion. I'm okay if you disagree.
I merely said that I found Harding to be a sympathetic figure because of the long history of mental abuse and physical abuse that she endured.

I don't excuse her behavior and I don't know that I believe she was treated unfairly with regards to the punishment she received in her role in the events of 1994.

Some would make feeling compassion some sort of political statement. It's shameful that someone would filter the idea of compassion for our fellow humans as a "social Justice warrior" moment.

None of which makes it acceptable to condone or participate in, tacitly or otherwise, the infliction of injury to another person
who is not physically threatening you.
Aren't we veering off course here? Who has found her past actions "acceptable" or is "condoning" it? To say you understand how someone came to be as they are is not the same as saying it is fine. One who has broken the law must pay the penalty, even if they came from terrible adverse circumstances that most of us, thank Heaven, didn't. That does not foreclose understanding their path or having some sympathy for it. That is not the same thing as rationalizing it; no-one here has passed off her actions as perfectly fine.

I merely said that I found Harding to be a sympathetic figure because of the long history of mental abuse and physical abuse that she endured.

I don't excuse her behavior and I don't know that I believe she was treated unfairly with regards to the punishment she received in her role in the events of 1994.

Some would make feeling compassion some sort of political statement. It's shameful that someone would filter the idea of compassion for our fellow humans as a "social Justice warrior" moment.

Shameful? That’s totally unfair. You didn’t just “feel compassion” for Harding. You wrote about it in an opinion column. Let’s not ignore the vehicle you used here. And let’s not ignore how it has been used in the past.

Very good positioning on Shaka.

With the guys we'll be losing this year and the ongoing strength of the Big 12 programs around us, it is getting progressively more difficult to envision us moving very far up the "food chain" in the conference next year. I know there is a chance we can move up, it just doesn't feel like something a logically person would think will happen.

Aren't we veering off course here? Who has found her past actions "acceptable" or is "condoning" it? To say you understand how someone came to be as they are is not the same as saying it is fine. One who has broken the law must pay the penalty, even if they came from terrible adverse circumstances that most of us, thank Heaven, didn't. That does not foreclose understanding their path or having some sympathy for it. That is not the same thing as rationalizing it; no-one here has passed off her actions as perfectly fine.
correct.

Very good positioning on Shaka.

With the guys we'll be losing this year and the ongoing strength of the Big 12 programs around us, it is getting progressively more difficult to envision us moving very far up the "food chain" in the conference next year. I know there is a chance we can move up, it just doesn't feel like something a logically person would think will happen.
completely fair. He has to prove that he's the guy everyone thought he was when he was hired.

Shameful? That’s totally unfair. You didn’t just “feel compassion” for Harding. You wrote about it in an opinion column. Let’s not ignore the vehicle you used here. And let’s not ignore how it has been used in the past.
Yes, i did just feel compassion, even if writing about it in a column.

Maybe you should give it a shot some time, without feeling the need to feed politics into it. That's a you issue, not a me issue.

I grew up surrounded by Tonya Hardings. Maybe all of DC will watch it, and the light bulb will go off, and they'll realize the issues related to poverty & dysfunction are far more a result of a lack of quality parents than a lack of money. If you have loving, nurturing parents that push education & encourage you..........the sky is the limit. If you don't, it's a really low ceiling, and few will be lucky to break through it.
That is a great post, Iceman! It is not just now, it has been forever true. Thanks!

I grew up surrounded by Tonya Hardings. Maybe all of DC will watch it, and the light bulb will go off, and they'll realize the issues related to poverty & dysfunction are far more a result of a lack of quality parents than a lack of money. If you have loving, nurturing parents that push education & encourage you..........the sky is the limit. If you don't, it's a really low ceiling, and few will be lucky to break through it.
Hard Truth with compassion. This is a pretty fundamental concept that few seem to get because it doesn’t fit their narrative for a different agenda. (Sorry for the term “narrative”.)

Hard Truth with compassion. This is a pretty fundamental concept that few seem to get because it doesn’t fit their narrative for a different agenda. (Sorry for the term “narrative”.)
It's naive to believe economics don't play a role. Or something worse than naive.

Yes, i did just feel compassion, even if writing about it in a column.

Maybe you should give it a shot some time, without feeling the need to feed politics into it. That's a you issue, not a me issue.

Actually, as your customer, it is a you issue. You pound this board with OT thoughts on the world all the time. If those posts color how your customers view your other posts, that's just as much on you, whether you admit it or not.

I'm not going to defend whether I'm compassionate or not to you. You don't know me or what I do outside of a few posts on this board.

Reactions: DanielSucks
You don't know me or what I do outside of a few posts on this board.
I'm only left to draw conclusions based on your comments from this thread. I hope there's more to you than this.

Just be clear, I expressed some compassion for a woman that has been subjected to years of mental and physical abuse. Your response to that was to push those comments through some sort of political prism. I would hope that caring for people transcended politics. For some, it seems impossible.

How does one live on 38,805 a year? Pay the man some damn money Texas..
Are you serious? The average salary in the United States for last year was 44k. There are tens of millions of people who get by on less than 38.8k. While Orangebloods is, in general, a much higher economic stratum that the general public, the ignorance seen here is very often appalling. Having said that, Carrington is certainly due for a significant raise. Wouldn't be surprised to see his salary doubled in the next year.

Reactions: EG-man
I'm only left to draw conclusions based on your comments from this thread. I hope there's more to you than this.

Just be clear, I expressed some compassion for a woman that has been subjected to years of mental and physical abuse. Your response to that was to push those comments through some sort of political prism. I would hope that caring for people transcended politics. For some, it seems impossible.
holier than thou. You're starting to remind me of Jimmy Swaggart.

It's naive to believe economics don't play a role. Or something worse than naive.
Why the fark do you ALWAYS have to infer some nafarious reason for someone to have an opinion contrary to yours? Economics may have an influence on this issue as well as family stability and love. No one was excluding economics...at least I wasn’t. If you read my post I suggested we all need to look at whatever the root causes are for this dysfunctional behavior in our society. Perhaps some introspection may help you avoid personalizing these non-sports discussions and subtly demonizing anyone who disagrees with you even if you don’t know them. I wasn’t even disagreeing with you. Jeesh!

Last edited:
Reactions: misterpink

Caring for people does transcend politics. Your post felt to me like it was political. Perhaps that was colored by my view of the world. Perhaps it was also colored by some of your historical posts. More likely a little of both. In any event, I apologize if I misunderstood the point of your comments. And I'm now going to heed the advice of my Vietnamese wife and keep my mouth shut.

Are you serious? The average salary in the United States for last year was 44k. There are tens of millions of people who get by on less than 38.8k. While Orangebloods is, in general, a much higher economic stratum that the general public, the ignorance seen here is very often appalling. Having said that, Carrington is certainly due for a significant raise. Wouldn't be surprised to see his salary doubled in the next year.
Given that he makes 10X less money than some that he is outperforming, it's fascinating to seethe wage scale.

Caring for people does transcend politics. Your post felt to me like it was political. Perhaps that was colored by my view of the world. Perhaps it was also colored by some of your historical posts. More likely a little of both. In any event, I apologize if I misunderstood the point of your comments. And I'm now going to heed the advice of my Vietnamese wife and keep my mouth shut.
Have a good rest of the day.

If Texas loses tonight to Iowa State, I'm prepared for the usual suspects to ignore the substance of what has been written about the basketball team.:D

100% on board with Shaka comments.

I was never that confident about Charlie, but, damn...I thought Shaka was the real deal.
Me too. But, the proof has to be in the pudding, not the pudding box.

Pot meet kettle
Oh, I have jerky moments for sure, but my reading comprehension skills are strong.

There's a better person inside of me that wants to not be snarky when confronted with rudeness from the residents of Silly-Town.;)

Ketch - I don't know you and only venture out to OB a few times a week to get my horn fix. I listened to a few of your radio shows last year and typically find you (and your staff) entertaining and engaging enough to pay you whatever the monthly fee is around here. I guess it's because I'm older and have a couple of fairly young kids (and it's not cliche - they do change your perspective)... and, perhaps I'm getting soft in my ripe old age of 52, but you are a strong individual to put up with some of the dick-holes that frequent your site. It's not surprising that these guys come here to lash out - I see that on the internet all the time, but it is sad that we can't all accept that each and every one of us is going to have a slightly different belief system and when you show that you're not capable of dealing with that, you only show your inner weaknesses and lack of mental capacity. I'm pretty sure you know this and that's why you're a good sport with some of the assholes that don't. I don't always agree with your takes, but that's okay... it doesn't make you a target... it just makes you you. Keep being you, sir... and know that the folks who spew hate are likely living very unfulfilling lives. It's karma.

Reactions: Gw layton
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT