ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Talking Malik, Herman calling plays, bad QB numbers and more)

Huge decision for Herman weighing the relative pros/cons of replacing Beck vs. establishing some continuity on the offensive side of the ball for these kids.

A new O coordinator and new QB every year equals mediocre results on the field.

Yes, playing mediocre QBs with mediocre coaches also equals mediocre results.

Rock and a hard place IMO.

Pretty scary if Herman was involved in the play-calling/offense for the bowl. Bury the "lede?"
Pretty clear with Herman even involved just how horrible the capabilities and execution of the offense was still. Really, really need better OL and improved QB play.

Reactions: RLong68
You have been nothing but rude and disrespectful in this thread and one of my New Year's resolution is not to suffer from rude and disrespectful people.

You're complained about me being vague when I was the opposite of vague in answering a question about the use of the word "lede" and when that ran out of steam, you started in with negatives about movies and Hollywood elite. Just go if that's what you're going to offer. I'm not going to beg rude people to stick around.

Ketch, what the hell does this response even mean? So many of your answers are vague as hell. Others, you do not directly answer the question. Why? Why do you do this. We are paying customers and we deserve better than this vague shit.
He was responding to a question asking what “lede” meant. He posted the definition. Did you misread something?

Good takes here. I haven't read all the responses so apologies if this has already been said. While Sam appears to have more upside as a leader and player, his decision-making on the field has been terrible. One or two bonehead mistakes is excusable, not 6 or 8. On the flip side, I am surprised Buchelle still gets so much cred. We hear he has leadership skills but he has yet to show them to us on the field or even the sidelines. I also do not think his body can hold up. I honestly cannot remember one game where he didn't miss a play or after the game hearing about an injury. He is NOT durable enough to play college football, regardless of the crappy OL. Ketch is spot-on. Don't bother talking about championships until the decade-long absence of at least an average qb is addressed.

You have been nothing but rude and disrespectful in this thread and one of my New Year's resolution is not to suffer from rude and disrespectful people.

You're complained about me being vague when I was the opposite of vague in answering a question about the use of the word "lede" and when that ran out of steam, you started in with negatives about movies and Hollywood elite. Just go if that's what you're going to offer. I'm not going to beg rude people to stick around.
Did you clear your resolution by @jshorn first?

I'm going to miss Malik Jefferson.

As the Texas all-American announced his departure from college football on Sunday, I couldn't help but think about how much admiration I have for the former Mesquite Poteet five-star.

While he was thrown under more than enough buses by fans and his own coaches (including Charlie Strong) to make a guy like Tim Beck blush, the irony of it all is that Jefferson is one of the guys who represents what all of you covet in your college football players - he deeply cared about the romanticism of it all.

It matters to Jefferson that he leaves with a legacy. It matters that he finished, which is why he was with his team on Wednesday night instead of watching it on TV. It greatly mattered that he act like a captain of this team, even if he was never credited as such. It's why it wasn't surprising to see him fetch water for the players in the Texas Bowl like he was a team manager.

Jefferson is a millennial, but he has an old soul that allows for him to buy into the romantic notions of playing each weekend for someone other than himself. He cares about all of this stuff, which is why he's so willing to give back, whether we're talking about signing autographs for young kids or giving his time to kids with real-life problems.

No, he wasn't the captain of this team this year in an official capacity, but let's keep this real ... he was the damn captain of this team.

Every guy in that locker room watched him take sharp knives for the last three years. Every guy in that locker room has seen his heart questioned. Hell, every guy in that locker room has seen much more than that questioned.

And you know what else all those players watched?

Jefferson never taking the low road. Jefferson never taking the easy road. Jefferson never breaking. Jefferson always leading. Jefferson always caring.

As far as I'm concerned, Jefferson is the best example this decade of the principles that Darrell Royal and Mack Brown created within this program so many years ago.

I'm reminded of the time I eavesdropped in on Cory Redding explaining to his mom why he had chosen Texas over joining his brother at Arizona on the day of his announcement 19 years ago this month.

"I'm a Texas boy and I want to live in Texas and meet a Texas girl and have Texas babies," he told her while she cried.

It's exactly the kind of thing that I feel like Jefferson might say, even if the last three years weren't always joyful.

Folks say you never know what you're missing until you don't have it and I certainly believe that to be the case with Jefferson for those who love this program, coaches and fans alike.

No. 2 - I hate to bury the lede ...

Something better than a little birdie told Orangebloods over the weekend that Tom Herman was much more active in calling plays in the bowl game than at any point this season. Much more active.

In fact, one source (not a parent for those that suddenly believe all sources are disgruntled moms and dads) told us Herman prepared for an increased role in the play-calling from the sidelines by practicing during bowl preparations for the added responsibilities, which are outside the norm of what his normal game-day protocol as head coach has been.

What all of this means remains to be seen, but it seems clear that Herman understands that the same ol', same ol' isn't going to cut it, so much so that it didn't cut it in the bowl game.

No. 3 – The elephant in the room ...
talk-about-the-white-elephant-in-the-room.png

That's the yards per attempt that Shane Buechele posted on 14 attempts in the final game of his sophomore season, some 24 games after his remarkable debut against Notre Dame in 2016. It's a number that was nearly 1/2 that of Sam Ehlinger, who was playing with the same players and the same offensive line, while playing against the same defense.

As someone who has always believed that Buechele owns an all-America level upside, it's time to admit that I have serious doubts built around three separate thoughts.

a. I think we all have confirmation bias because of the Notre Dame game. Take that game out of our minds and we've never seen anything from Buechele that truly suggests he's going to turn into a program-changing player.

b. I don't think he made improvements in his second season from his first. Not tangible ones.

c. His ability to stay on the field and well enough to perform at near-healthy levels has turned into a two-season talking point.

As I said on the TicketCity Podcast this week, I hope I'm wrong about possibly being wrong. I would love to see this kid emerge into the best quarterback in the Big 12 next season, force-feeding a barrage of crap-sandwiches to all of us along the way. However, I think there's probably a better chance that one of the two freshmen challenge him for a spot on the two-deep by the time September rolls around.

No. 4 – The other elephant in the room with the quarterbacks ...

2017 Team Quarterback rating: 123.86

If Buechele and Sam Ehlinger combined to make a single player, they would have ranked 82nd in the nation.

It's hard to believe, but the quarterback play actually went backwards in 2017 from what it was in 2016, and what it was in 2016 was pretty uninspiring.

Dear Tom Herman, your Jedi teaching skills at quarterback development are sorely needed.

No. 5 – Speaking of quarterback ratings ...

This one is bananas.

2017 Team Passing Efficiency Defense: 125.04

In terms of passer efficiency rating, Todd Orlando's defense played the No. 1 (Baker Mayfield), No. 3 (Mason Rudolph), No. 5 (Drew Lock), No. 6 (Will Grier), No. 19 (Nic Shimonek)and No. 25 (Kenny Hill) quarterbacks in the country this season and yet when the dust cleared, it turned opposing quarterbacks this season as a whole into the same type of player that the Texas offense produced each week.

That's why Texas played in so many close games this season. That unit evened the playing field, even when the pre-game scouting report swore there wasn't a same playing field.

No. 6 – Another moral victory for Shaka's Longhorns ...

Sometimes in basketball, your opponent just won't stop making shots, no matter what you do.

That's what happened on Friday night.

Texas played its guts out, received an all-American performance from Mo Bamba and played pretty well on the offensive end of the court ...

And it didn't matter because Kansas just wouldn't stop making three-point shots. Seventeen of them, in fact. In a game that was decided by six points, those bombs from distance were the difference.

What it left for Texas was yet another moral victory against a top-10ish-type team and some hope that this team still has an upside that it hasn't hit. If anything, its performance against the Kansas defense inspired more hope than the day began with.

This isn't the time to hit the panic button.

No. 7 – Buy or Sell …
buy_sell.jpg

BUY or SELL: With hopefully no major injuries in the offensive line next year our O line will be greatly improved and Texas will produce a 1,000 yard running back?

(Sell) I hate to start this section off negatively, but ... yeah, no.

BUY or SELL: The bowl game win swings momentum back to where it was before the Tech Loss? Less transfers, better locker room etc ...?

(BUY) Winning is the greatest drug of them all.

BUY or SELL: I should buy tickets for the Maryland game next year and make the trip from Florida?

(Buy) That's going to be a hell of a fun road trip.

BUY or SELL: If Texas could pick one player to keep from the 2017 team it’s Poona Ford, hands down?

(Sell) Did you watch the bowl game?

BUY or SELL: Gary Johnson will have a better 2018 than Malik’s 2017?

(Sell) Let me help you appreciate Malik a little better. The Butkus winner this year was Georgia's Roquan Smith, who finished with 113 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks in 13 games. Jefferson, who played in only 12 games, finished with 110 tackles, 10.0 tackles for loss and 4.0 sacks. Basically, Malik was as good as anyone in the country at his position this year. I think Johnson is going to be an all-Big 12 player, but I'm not ready to say he's going to top Jefferson's season, which was as good as any linebacker's on the 40 Acres in 13 years.

BUY or SELL: Texas is two years away from competing for a Big 12 title and playoff berth?

(Sell) I refuse to talk about this team as a playoff team until the quarterback issue is fully solved.

BUY or SELL: With the exception of OL, Texas 2019 recruiting is way behind 2018, but it is early and will rebound to levels comparable to 2018?

(Buy) That's fair.

BUY or SELL: The late start to summer player-led practices contributed to the poor passing game execution?

(Buy) It sure as hell didn't help and it completely undermines the idea that Herman wants this team to be champions every single day.

BUY or SELL: Texas will not be in a New Year’s Weekend bowl game next year, so should I plan on a week in London for an EPL extravaganza?

(Buy) Go ahead and order your plane tickets.

BUY or SELL: Sam Ehlinger reminds me a little bit of Tim Tebow. He seems to be an inspirational leader in the mold of Tebow, minus the virginity thing. He also seems to be a tough runner like Tebow was. He also seems to be an average to below average passer like Tebow was. The B/S is does Sam truly have that kind of upside?

(Sell) Tebow was a special college player, regarded as one of the best of all-time by quite a few people. Ehlinger had a quarterback rating below 130 this season and isn't nearly the athlete that Tebow was. I have to see a lot more before I sign off on suggesting he has Tebow upside.

No. 8 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... I want the not-quite-three-hours of time I spent watching the Dallas/Philadelphia game back. What an abomination.

... Gary Patterson has 11 10-win seasons. I'm in awe of what he's accomplished and still accomplishing at little ol' TCU. From 1960-1999, the school finished the season ranked zero times. Since Patterson took over, it has finished the season ranked (including this season) 12 times.

... The perfect Dave South finale as the play-by-play voice of Texas A&M football was Wake Forest beating A&M in a nothing bowl game. Basically, he called 32 years of meaningless football, well, unless the years created by wide-spread cheating count.

... The Pac-12 had a bad week.

... Prediction: Georgia 37 Oklahoma 34 and Alabama 24 Clemson 14

... Welcome back, Steph Curry.

... I didn't have much interest in UFC219, but if Dana White can find a way to get Khabib Nurmagomedov in the octagon with Conor McGregor, I'm in for almost any price.

... Crystal Palace sucks at taking penalties.

... Man United is in trouble. You can just see that thing opening up at the seams.

No. 9 – Five-star endorsement …

I feel like I've seen two special movies in 2017.

One is Lady Bird, which I absolutely adore. The other I watched on Friday afternoon ... The Shape of Water.

It might not quite be my favorite movie of the year, but I've not yet seen a better directed or acted (brilliant performances up and down the screen) all year.

Sally Hawkins is a star in this film. So is Michael Shannon. So is Richard Hawkins. So is Octavia Spencer. So is Michael Stuhlbarg.

The movie has heart, it's visually terrific and never drags for a second. It's just a super piece of film-making.

My updated Oscars rankings.

(Still need to see: All the Money in the World, Call Me By Your Name, Darkest Hour, Detroit, The Florida Project, I, Tonya, Mudbound, Phantom Thread, The Post and Roman J. Israel, Esq)

Up this Week: The Post

Best Picture

1. Lady Bird
2. The Shape of Water
3. Dunkirk
4. The Big Sick
5. Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri
6. Wind River
7. The Disaster Artist
8. Blake Runner 2049
9. Get Out
10. Battle of the Sexes

Best Actor

1. James Franco (The Disaster Artist)
2. Adam Driver (The Last Jedi)
3. Daniel Kaluuya (Get Out)
4. Jeremy Renner (Wind River)
5. Kumail Nanjiani (The Big Sick)

Best Actress

1. Sally Hawkins (The Shape of Water)
2. Saoirse Ronan (Lady Bird)
3. Frances McDormand (Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri)
4. Emma Stone (Battle of the Sexes)
5. Elizabeth Olson (Wind River)

Best Supporting Actor

1. Michael Shannon (The Shape of Water)
2. Sam Rockwell (Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri)
3. Richard Jenkins (The Shape of Water)
4. Woody Harrelson (Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri)
5. Steve Carell (Battle of the Sexes)

Best Supporting Actress

1. Laurie Metcalf (Lady Bird)
2. Holly Hunter (The Big Sick)
3. Octavia Spencer (The Shape of Water)
4. Dafne Keen (Logan)

Best Director

1. The Shape of Water (Guillermo del Toro)
2. Greta Gerwig (Lady Bird)
3. Jordan Peele (Get Out)
4. Christopher Nolan (Dunkirk)
5. Denis Villeneuve (Blade Runner 2049)

No. 10 – And Finally …

I wanted to end this week's column with two thoughts.

1. Happy New Year's, Orangebloods family. We're sometimes a dysfunctional family, but goodness gracious, what a dysfunctional family we are. I'm always so proud of how we can be at each other's neck in one moment and then coming together in a flash when another moment calls for it.

Guys, I love ya.

2. My heart aches for the family of Darryl Hatch - brother in law to @OBRob, husband to Karen and father to four children, who died in a car accident on Sunday morning. You never know when life is going to change in sudden fashion and I cried today thinking of the magnitude of such a loss. Please, continue to keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

Rest in peace, Darryl.

I find it hard to believe that Ketch is one person...this is just to much good stuff and to much activity coming from one person???

Nope . . . Malik's legacy was going to be his senior year. He walked away from that legacy.

He was going to be the best player in the NCAA.

yeah! you are probably right...but "legacy" does not pay much!....

No. 9 – Five-star endorsement …

I feel like I've seen two special movies in 2017.

One is Lady Bird, which I absolutely adore. The other I watched on Friday afternoon ... The Shape of Water.

It might not quite be my favorite movie of the year, but I've not yet seen a better directed or acted (brilliant performances up and down the screen) all year.

Sally Hawkins is a star in this film. So is Michael Shannon. So is Richard Hawkins. So is Octavia Spencer. So is Michael Stuhlbarg.

The movie has heart, it's visually terrific and never drags for a second. It's just a super piece of film-making.

My updated Oscars rankings.

(Still need to see: All the Money in the World, Call Me By Your Name, Darkest Hour, Detroit, The Florida Project, I, Tonya, Mudbound, Phantom Thread, The Post and Roman J. Israel, Esq)

Up this Week: The Post

Best Picture

1. Lady Bird
2. The Shape of Water
3. Dunkirk
4. The Big Sick
5. Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri
6. Wind River
7. The Disaster Artist
8. Blake Runner 2049
9. Get Out
10. Battle of the Sexes

Best Actor

1. James Franco (The Disaster Artist)
2. Adam Driver (The Last Jedi)
3. Daniel Kaluuya (Get Out)
4. Jeremy Renner (Wind River)
5. Kumail Nanjiani (The Big Sick)

Best Actress

1. Sally Hawkins (The Shape of Water)
2. Saoirse Ronan (Lady Bird)
3. Frances McDormand (Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri)
4. Emma Stone (Battle of the Sexes)
5. Elizabeth Olson (Wind River)

Best Supporting Actor

1. Michael Shannon (The Shape of Water)
2. Sam Rockwell (Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri)
3. Richard Jenkins (The Shape of Water)
4. Woody Harrelson (Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri)
5. Steve Carell (Battle of the Sexes)

Best Supporting Actress

1. Laurie Metcalf (Lady Bird)
2. Holly Hunter (The Big Sick)
3. Octavia Spencer (The Shape of Water)
4. Dafne Keen (Logan)

Best Director

1. The Shape of Water (Guillermo del Toro)
2. Greta Gerwig (Lady Bird)
3. Jordan Peele (Get Out)
4. Christopher Nolan (Dunkirk)
5. Denis Villeneuve (Blade Runner 2049)

I will be surprised if the Florida Project doesn't shake your rankings up, considering your love for Lady Bird. 2017 was an odd year for movies overall.

I will be surprised if the Florida Project doesn't shake your rankings up, considering your love for Lady Bird. 2017 was an odd year for movies overall.
I don't know a lot about Florida Project, but I know it's quite heralded.

Good luck to Malik ... I hope we remember him fondly when we see him making plays on Sundays in the future.

I find myself not being particularly "fair" when I see Longhorns in the NFL from 2009 and back vs. 2010 and forward. I tend to think fondly of the old guys and the new guys I tend to remember unfulfilled potential more than anything.

Even my casual UT fan Wife notices the difference in my anecdotal comments during NFL games.

I have not been rude to you. Are you a child? Grow some thicker skin and life might treat you better. You are always vague in your responses so it upsets you that I point that out. My God, man grow up. You were not the opposite of vague. That simply is not true. I am not talking about this instance. You are most always vague as hell with your answers. I am entitled to my opinion of the liberals in Hollywood but that offends your thin skin, too. I am sorry you have such thin skin. Try getting in a better mood? Nothing ran out of steam with regard to the use of the word "Lede" as you stated. In an effort to avoid responding to my question as to why you are always so vague you just start making up stuff. You are obviously beyond repair.
You are some kind of stupid and dumba**

Reactions: MATF
Huge decision for Herman weighing the relative pros/cons of replacing Beck vs. establishing some continuity on the offensive side of the ball for these kids.

A new O coordinator and new QB every year equals mediocre results on the field.

Yes, playing mediocre QBs with mediocre coaches also equals mediocre results.

Rock and a hard place IMO.
The right new coordinator can do wonders. Todd Orlando took the exact same personnel (less Gary Johnson) and turned one of the worst D’s In the country in 2016 to one of the very best in 2017.

Continuity with a bad scheme and an ineffective OC (and nonsensical, bad play-caller) is called insanity (doing the same thing yet expecting a different result).

After apparently calling the plays in the Texas Bowl, Herman knows he needs a major tweak to his Ohio State Power Spread O (which is a terrible fit with his OL) and a new OC to implement same.

some real jags in that group

I'm interested to see Cosmi next year. There have been good reviews on him. Can he be Kerstetter 2.0?
I think Grandy takes that RG spot and has an average to above average season. He plays mean with good feet. Hudson has bad feet and an injury history.
Can Rodriguez improve over the offseason and take over the RT position? I think he's an upgrade over Nickelson and Okafor.

Starting 5 next year.
Kerstetter Vahe Shackelford Grandy Rodriguez
That's an improvement from last year. I think our line will be fine.

I'm interested to see Cosmi next year. There have been good reviews on him. Can he be Kerstetter 2.0?
I think Grandy takes that RG spot and has an average to above average season. He plays mean with good feet. Hudson has bad feet and an injury history.
Can Rodriguez improve over the offseason and take over the RT position? I think he's an upgrade over Nickelson and Okafor.

Starting 5 next year.
Kerstetter Vahe Shackelford Grandy Rodriguez
That's an improvement from last year. I think our line will be fine.
That line scares the hell out of me.

Who is the plus-player?

ADVERTISEMENT