ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Texas needs more Tom Herman...)

Maybe I’m over thinking it. But is it possible the offensive staff is still holding back the playbook until the OU Sux game?
I think that's called denial.;)

Seriously, I'm sure there is more to the offense that improved personnel would show us, but the limitations that exist create added limitations. I don't think anything is being saved on purpose.

It's okay for you to tell the tribe here that you prefer Sam because of his strengths against this offensive deficiencies, but that the kid is super green and he's not ready either. You said this, but a 50/50 word split probably would've resonated with the readers:)
It pretty much goes without saying that the true freshman is green. Folks needed to be reminded with Buechele.

Gurss you don't remember the VY sophmore season when he set up 'Horns national title shot buy winning the Rose Bowl. Keith Jackson ask Dan Fouts who he'd compare Vince to and the former Charger QB said "Compare him to what...I've never seen anything like him...Compare him to what ? " He was more than a one season wonder.
I guess you don't remember that VY wasn't a true sophomore and needed more than halfof his third season before things started to click...

Remembering can be a tricky thing.

Lincoln Riley calls OU plays. Think this could put the necessary pressure on Herman to ‘go to work’ and do what he was hired to do? Or do you think Herman might be too stubborn/or loyal take your pick that he’d let Beck screw up his big chance at Texas and shortchange Texas on his/Herman hiring?
He's not driving the bus over Beck.

1) Buy your points on the status of our QBs.
2) Sell on your point that Johnson Must be thrown the ball. I do buy that Johnson, Humphreys, Mapps, etc., are the strength of the O and should be the focal point going forward. They have enough talent at WR that they don’t have to force the ball to one guy. In fact, I would argue that Humphrey’s is under utilized.
This team has one offensive difference-maker. He touched the ball twice on Thursday.

Mapps and Humphrey are good players, but not on his level.

Never underestimate Kstate when they play Texas. They ALWAYS bring their A game. I'm a ways away from saying we should 100% beat them. I've gotten burned that way before.
What should happen vs. what does happen aren't always the same.

Are they overanalyzing? @Ketchum - Why do we serious but casual fans who don't do this for a living always seem to see the obvious the paid coaching staff is missing? Do they lose the forest for the trees?
WE go back and forth on who should QB, on whether Chris Warren III is a warhorse who needs 20 carries per game or a slow-starting JAG, on whether we have the best wide receivers in the conference or non-blockers who don’t understand space and don’t help their QB while under duress. Not sure our clarity is greater than the coaches.

This team has one offensive difference-maker. He touched the ball twice on Thursday.

Mapps and Humphrey are good players, but not on his level.

As the offense currently sits it would be interesting to see what the 247 composite avg would be for the 11 starters. I bet it's close to 90... If that is the case how can the recruiting services continually get it wrong? Especially with Texas recruits.

As the offense currently sits it would be interesting to see what the 247 composite avg would be for the 11 starters. I bet it's close to 90... If that is the case how can the recruiting services continually get it wrong? Especially with Texas recruits.
Texas has entered a fog that it hasn't been able to escape, it's a place where great recruits go to disappear for the last 7 years.

Reactions: MB-HORNS
This team needs more Tom Herman and it needs it right now. I don't believe it's hyperbole to say that the balance of the season rests on it.

No. 2 – The elephant in the room going into this week ...

Neither quarterback that Texas currently has at its disposal is ready to quarterback a program like Texas to the type of season it strongly covets.

That's not me having an agenda, that's me being fair to both players.

Yep

c. Texas gets off to a slow start against Oklahoma and Buechele gets replaced by Sam Ehlinger in the second quarter.

In a way, it kind of reminds me of the situation in 2003 when Texas went into the Oklahoma game without a full identity with Chance Mock holding the job over Vince Young. The pressure that comes in a game like Texas-Oklahoma is such that if and when the offense gets stagnant against the Sooners, the sense of urgency of the moment will lead to a switch at the position.

d. Ehlinger makes the start against Oklahoma State.

65-13

Just a reminder of the final score when Vince took over for Chance.

And agree on Collin Johnson, but you don't get him the ball throwing into soft zone double coverage. This staff simply is not being creative in getting the ball in playmakers hands.

So back to your 1st point.

tom-herman-texas-iowa-state.png

As the calendar turns the page to October and the Texas football team walks into the teeth of the 2017 schedule, one theme stood out in my mind over the course of the last few days.

I need more Tom Herman.

Bitch all you want about the slow development of the offense on offensive coordinator Tim Beck, but Tom Herman largely landed the Texas gig because he's supposed to be the elite-level offensive guru/quarterback developer.

Not Beck.

When everyone was aiming high with nine- or 10-win season predictions just a month ago, it was because the perception was that the players on offense would thrive under the guidance of the man who helped lead Ohio State to a national title and Houston to a national resurgence.

Not Beck.

Tim Beck was hired to recruit his rear end off and (in theory) execute the Tom Herman vision. While Todd Orlando does his thing on the defensive side of the ball with full control, the anticipation was that Herman is fully involved with the offense.

So, save me the Tim Beck grief.

With the offensive personnel in a state of crisis in certain areas, it's tough to say that talent alone can save the Longhorns on the offensive side of the ball. They need the help of an offensive creator that is regarded as one of the best in the business. With all the respect in the world for any desire to protect and provide a boost to all of his assistants, the buck stops at the feet of the head coach.

This team needs more Tom Herman and it needs it right now. I don't believe it's hyperbole to say that the balance of the season rests on it.

No. 2 – The elephant in the room going into this week ...
talk-about-the-white-elephant-in-the-room.png

Neither quarterback that Texas currently has at its disposal is ready to quarterback a program like Texas to the type of season it strongly covets.

James Brown was a third-year player when the light switch came on in 1995. Vince Young was a third-year player when the light switch came on in 2004. Colt McCoy was a fourth-year player when the light switch came on in 2008.

Shane Buechele is 17 games deep into his second season. Sam Ehlinger is five games into his first season.

When I screamed caution to the masses with regards to the quarterback position all off-season, it had nothing to do with being a hater or having a favorite, it had everything to do with establishing realistic expectations at a position that has only seen Major Applewhite in 1998 and Colt McCoy's Cinderella season in 2006 achieve what is being demanded out of necessity from both players this season.

And this has nothing to do with having a poor offensive line, a lackluster running game with very little explosiveness, tight end play that is such that it's hard to warrant having any on the field and a first-year coaching staff that is still trying to learn the strengths of its team.

It's possible that what we're watching right now from Buechele is the best that Texas will ever get from him, but it's also possible that the grading of his abilities probably should not be taking place until his third year when he's had a fair opportunity to develop. It goes without saying that Ehlinger is still in need of development.

That's not me having an agenda, that's me being fair to both players.

No. 3 – Semi-Bold Prediction ...

I mentioned this in the Facebook Iowa State Post-Game Show on Thursday night, but here's how I see the next two weeks unfolding ...

a. I fully expect Tom Herman to give Shane Buechele a big endorsement on Monday when he meets with the media. It might be the biggest endorsement we've seen from Herman for Buechele yet.

b. Buechele gets the start against Kansas State and I'm expecting a tight slug-fest, one that won't see the Texas offense solve most of its issues. It's a 65%-35% contest coming in my mind, so let's call it Texas 20 Kansas State 13.

c. Texas gets off to a slow start against Oklahoma and Buechele gets replaced by Sam Ehlinger in the second quarter.

In a way, it kind of reminds me of the situation in 2003 when Texas went into the Oklahoma game without a full identity with Chance Mock holding the job over Vince Young. The pressure that comes in a game like Texas-Oklahoma is such that if and when the offense gets stagnant against the Sooners, the sense of urgency of the moment will lead to a switch at the position.

d. Ehlinger makes the start against Oklahoma State.

No. 4 - One excuse on offense that I refuse to buy ...

Collin Johnson needed more touches on Thursday night. In college football, you do whatever you have to do to get your best player involved in a game.

Period.

I don't want to hear that Iowa State dropped eight at times. I don't want to hear about bracket coverage or triple coverage or quintuple coverage.

Get him the damn ball. That it didn't happen is on the coaches, which means it's on Tim Beck, which also means it's on Tom Herman.

Defenses all over America sell out to stop great opposing receivers and somehow all over America, teams find a way to get their great players the ball so their great players can make great plays.

Texas didn't do that on Thursday. The Texas coaches are very well compensated to be smarter than their counterparts on the other sidelines, but they didn't do enough in that facet of the chess match that took place.

Save me the excuse-making. Just make sure it never happens again. Texas can't beat good teams when Johnson has less than 30 yards receiving in a game.

No. 5 – Buy or Sell …
buy_sell.jpg

BUY or SELL: Herman is calling plays by the end of the year?

(Sell) Tom Herman seems like a ride or die guy with his boys. I think he's going to spend the rest of the season strongly defending Beck.

BUY or SELL: With the UT defensive improvement, Todd Orlando takes a head coaching job for the 2018 season?

(Sell) I think he's still a year away from getting a job worth taking.

BUY or SELL: Texas can somehow manage 2-2 over the next 4 games?

(Buy) Can? Sure thing. Will? That's a million dollar question, no?

BUY or SELL: UTwiz will handle the transition to Sam Ehlinger (and the success that follows) in a quiet and humble fashion?

HTTP2luc2lkZWphbWFyaWZveC5jb20vd3AtY29udGVudC91cGxvYWRzLzIwMTQvMDEvYmxhbmtzdGFyZS5naWYlog.gif

BUY or SELL: Texas ends up as a top-three team in the big 12?

(Sell) Hard for me to say at this point that Texas finishes in the top three.

BUY or SELL: We would be 3-1 with Zaire at QB and Sam would have redshirted?

(Sell) There's no evidence that he would have flipped one of the two losses.

BUY or SELL: With the attention he receives, the fame of his name, coupled with the difficult task of recruiting to Lubbock ... Tech would likely be better off just keeping Kingsbury and hoping he matures into a great coach then moving on from him?

(Buy) What else are they going to do?

BUY or SELL: The offensive line starts maturing and solidifies by the OU game?

(Sell) You realize that the OU game will be either 12 or 13 days away, depending on when you read this, right? What you're asking is going to take more than 13 days.

No. 6 – About Kansas State ...

This is a perfectly average football team.

In watching a perfectly average performance against Baylor on Saturday, there's nothing about this team that is especially scary.

Its passing game is meh. It runs the ball pretty well and uses its quarterback's legs considerably. The defense is pretty good.

This is a team that Texas should 100-percent beat.

No. 7 – If I had a vote that counts ...

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Oklahoma
4. TCU
5. Washington
6. Penn State
7. Michigan
8. Georgia
9. Wisconsin
10. Washington State

No. 8 – Hot damn, Houston (again) ...
920x920.jpg

Geez, that was an absolute bloodbath.

For the second straight week, it's impossible to begin any NFL thoughts without mentioning DeShaun Watson's performance, first and foremost.

My goodness, how good was he on Sunday? I think I'm more excited for Houston Texans fans today than I have been for them at any point in their history.

No. 9 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... You could see that USC loss to Washington State coming from a mile away. The Trojans just ain't right.

... The SEC is just terrible enough that Kevin Sumlin might keep his job.

... Very quietly, Washington is steamrolling through the season and looking like one of a handful of teams capable of possibly slowing a third Alabama/Clemson championship game down.

... Let's have a moment of silence for the Butch Jones truthers.

... Penny for Charlie Strong's non-filtered thoughts at the moment.

... I still can't believe LSU hired Ed Orgeron. What a wildly ridiculous decision.

... Sign of the Apocalypse: All it took to get Cam Newton going was the New England defense at Foxborough.

... There's not yet a Super Bowl-worthy team in the entire NFL. Everyone is pretty meh.

... Brutal honesty: I'm more excited about the start of the NBA season than the end of the MLB season.

... Man City is really good. Really good.

... It's a taken a few years to totally understand it, but being a Liverpool soccer fan is a little like being a Dallas Cowboys fan. Therefore, I'm well-prepared for my lot in soccer fan life.

No. 10 – And finally …

Speaking of being a Cowboys fan, my cousin John and his son Kevin Emmitt Smith flew to from Philadelphia to Dallas this weekend to catch the Cowboys/Rams game at Jerry World.

I purchased tickets for them through TicketCity because I wanted to be a good cousin.

So, what happens?

Rams 35 Cowboys 30.

Not one damn thing about what happened in that game was surprising. This is what regressing to the mean looks like.
Good one Ketch, but even though you don't want to hear it, you can't force feed the ball to CJ in an 8 man coverage where he is being spied by multiple defenders and still run the same man2man routes you ran against USC's exclusive man2man coverage. You would have 5 picks instead of 1. This is not about Beck and his play calling (or lack of targeting CJ), this is about a total lack of scheme (game plan) to attack this kind of defense, which Beck and Herman have now seen in 2 games: MD and ISU. That's why I agree with your initial argument that Herman needs to be involved in finding the solution, not Beck. Since neither of these QB' are going to scare anyone with their rushing ability, and our OL is less than mediocre, along with our run game, some creative thinking and tweaks need to go into the passing game in order to open up the run game. In other words, we need to become a little more like The Pirate's teams and less like Urban's. That goes against Herman's recent offensive MO, but that is where the creativity will have to come into play.

Prayers for all those involved in, and affected by, the event in Vegas last night!

Hook'em

They are still trying to figure out what they have in terms of game day talent. A few spring practices disclosed concerns but also talent. No one has the ability to discern game day talent from spring practices. We are 4 games into a season with 7.5 as the Vegas upside. Setting the Everclear-laced kool aid aside, this is what we should expect.

He didn't run "through" anyone. Not saying he shouldn't run. Saying he should dive to one side of the defender or the other because he has no power, at all. If you can't see the futility in Shane attempting to run through defenders, let's agree to disagree.
You sure?
How about this one?
And on this one he takes on two defenders, although he does end up just short, he makes positive yards after contact.

If he doesn't take on the defender on each of those, we have to punt twice, and on the third time we have a longer fourth down at best. Diving to one side of the defender or the other would not have gotten the first downs on those plays. Look, he isn't going to juke anyone out there, so he either takes them on or he has to slide. Personally I would rather not have these designed qb runs so much of the time, but clearly that's a large part of this offense. If he's going to have to run, at least he is giving every effort to get to the marker. I would hate to see a drive end because the runner gave up short of the line to gain, no matter what position he plays.

My theory on the ISU game is this:

Herman knew it was a must win game, in a tough environment on a Thursday night. So when we took the lead, and the defense was playing the way it was, he went a little bit into safety mode. When we fumbled on the reverse, he went FULL THROTTLE protect the lead mode.

I think we maybe took 1 shot downfield, on a 3rd and 30, and other than that, every play was overly safe and play not to lose. Rely on Dickson and the defense and escape Ames with a win.

So yeah, it was a super-fugly win, but a W that Herman and this team had to have and he wasn't going to give any cheap turnovers or easy scores away to an explosive home team.

Yep

65-13

Just a reminder of the final score when Vince took over for Chance.

And agree on Collin Johnson, but you don't get him the ball throwing into soft zone double coverage. This staff simply is not being creative in getting the ball in playmakers hands.

So back to your 1st point.
Yup, but it wasn't 65-13 when he took over.

Good one Ketch, but even though you don't want to hear it, you can't force feed the ball to CJ in an 8 man coverage where he is being spied by multiple defenders and still run the same man2man routes you ran against USC's exclusive man2man coverage. You would have 5 picks instead of 1. This is not about Beck and his play calling (or lack of targeting CJ), this is about a total lack of scheme (game plan) to attack this kind of defense, which Beck and Herman have now seen in 2 games: MD and ISU. That's why I agree with your initial argument that Herman needs to be involved in finding the solution, not Beck. Since neither of these QB' are going to scare anyone with their rushing ability, and our OL is less than mediocre, along with our run game, some creative thinking and tweaks need to go into the passing game in order to open up the run game. In other words, we need to become a little more like The Pirate's teams and less like Urban's. That goes against Herman's recent offensive MO, but that is where the creativity will have to come into play.

Prayers for all those involved in, and affected by, the event in Vegas last night!

Hook'em
Creativity. Coaches find ways to not let their best players get taken out of games.

So, Colt McCoy's second season was better than his first?
His first season was a redshirt. His second season was a unicorn fairy tale for the most part. His third season was a more accurate reflection of where his development stood. His light switch was turned on in the fourth season.

You mean like Malik Zaire? :p
No, I mean like a multi=pronged recruiting approach. Do you give up on recruiting a QB for the year because the top choice on your board decides to go somewhere else? Mind you this is the 8th straight year we've gone without a proven, healthy winner at QB.

Yup, but it wasn't 65-13 when he took over.

I can’t remember who started that 2003 OU game. I do remember that VY played very little if at all in the Arkansas debacle, but then was instrumental in the victory over KSU the week before OU. I also remember VY’s long run against OU was early in the game before things had gotten out of hand. Did VY start against OU?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT