ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The case against making the playoff ...)

I told him I'd pick option B if you could tell me that Texas might have a 5-percent chance of winning the game and only a 95-percent chance of a 30+ point loss.

I'm not sure you were terribly bright in this conversation either.

It's funny how every single HC in D1 will proclaim loudly to his team that what happened the previous season has zero to do with what will happen in their current season. Yet, somehow fans want to believe this notion of a "lit fire" from the previous season.

* Alabama is on its way to being discussed as one of the greatest teams in college football history. There's not enough hyperbole in the world for that team at the moment.

I've been saying it for a few weeks. Frankly, I'm a little surprised we're this deep into the season and the talk hasn't begun. Or perhaps it's because I don't watch Sportscenter. But anyway, hard to remember a more powerful looking this far in October that has flown more under the radar than this Bama team. Perhaps it's out of sheer boredom for many CFB fans. Personally, I find them quite interesting. They simply are annihilating them. Rest assured, there is ZERO chance of a Boston College type game (for those that remember the '01 'Canes) for Bama. Not saying a very good UGA team can't beat them (albeit small to zero chance) but NOBODY else is going to sniff them.

West Virginia would destroy aggy and it wouldn't be close. aggy barely beat arkansas.
Aggy has one of the best defenses in the country. If West Virginia couldn't protect Grier against Iowa State, A&M might eat him alive.

BUY or SELL: Texas Dodged a bullet With Urban Meyer?

(Buy) I suppose it depends on what you want to dodge. I wonder how many Texas fans would sell their souls for a national title, like he's won for Ohio State, because I think he'd absolutely have won a title as the head coach at Texas. Fans can convince themselves of a lot of things because of the euphoria that winning provides.

What bullet was there to dodge? In other words, exactly when was Urban going to coach us?

The "hangover" OU suffered in '09 was called Sam Bradford's season-ending injury.
BTW, what sort of "fire" did we have in the '10 season after losing to 'bama the previous January?
It was a little more than that injury (see BYU physically destroying them).

BUY or SELL: Devin Duvernay could be as successful as Rondale Moore if he had better QBing (better deep throws) and he was used more effectively (getting him the ball in space)?

(Sell) Nope. Moore is special.

Yep. I've NEVER seen any sort of wiggle from Duvernay, much less one that could compare to Moore.

It's funny how every single HC in D1 will proclaim loudly to his team that what happened the previous season has zero to do with what will happen in their current season.
Those coaches are wrong.

Aggy has one of the best defenses in the country. If West Virginia couldn't protect Grier against Iowa State, A&M might eat him alive.

They are 42nd in defensive efficiency. While that is 2 spots higher than us (ours is also overrated by our fanbase) it doesn't make it "one of the best" in the country.

Reactions: jjm7878
which part was plagiarism?
It was clearly his question to you before you wrote the piece.
: to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own : use (another's production) without crediting the source.

Thank God I have Rondale Moore on my college fantasy. Having said that, I doubt he would've had this success at Texas this early on. I get what you are saying @Ketchum but you know he wouldn't have the same impact &/or playing time as he is at Purdue. Facts.

Bama could have dropped 70 on them if they didn't shut it down. Aggy beat Arkansas, Kentucky, and South Carolina all by 1 score or less. All three would be bottom dwellers in the Big XII. Kentucky may be the most overrated team in the country. They are bad.

2010?

Those were the whispers, but nothing tangible exists.

Exactly. FWIW, Meyer resigned for "health reasons" in December 2010. Exactly when would the opportunity have presented itself? Mack clearly was not stepping down after the 2010 debacle. And Meyer was hired less than a year later at tOSU.

Some of the best shows I saw in Austin:

Bow Wow Wow at Club Foot (1982)

The Clash with Stevie Ray Vaughn as opening at Austin Coliseum (1982)

Reactions: pasotex
They are 42nd in defensive efficiency. While that is 2 spots higher than us (ours is also overrated by our fanbase) it doesn't make it "one of the best" in the country.
entering last week

Texas A&M Defense National Rankings

Total Defense: #23
Overall Run Defense: #3
Overall 3rd Down Defense: #2
Overall Red Zone Defense: #10

It was clearly his question to you before you wrote the piece.
: to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own : use (another's production) without crediting the source.
a. I never saw his post.
b. No one owns a topic of discussion.

It's like someone claiming dibbs on writing about VY after the 2005 Rose Bowl. Someone having the idea for a discussion first doesn't preclude anyone from doing it.

There were literally no words to the discussion. It was just a poll.

It's a stupid thought to have.

Thank God I have Rondale Moore on my college fantasy. Having said that, I doubt he would've had this success at Texas this early on. I get what you are saying @Ketchum but you know he wouldn't have the same impact &/or playing time as he is at Purdue. Facts.
Yeah, because Herman won't play his freshmen...

They are. Members of the 2009 team will tell you that there was a different level of focus all off-season and during the 2009 season because of what happened in 2008.

Coaches say dumb, wrong shit all the time.

They are. Members of the 2009 team will tell you that there was a different level of focus all off-season and during the 2009 season because of what happened in 2008.

Coaches say dumb, wrong shit all the time.

Different from what? I mean, how would they know the focus that offseason was different? Did I somehow imagine a real-life offseason after the '08 season that was based on us losing to Florida and thus the players were actually able to compare? What would be interesting is what was the ACTUAL focus after the '09 season? I mean, they actually went through THAT offseason and given your theory they would have been laser-focused to rectify the tough ending against Bama. Ooops. Guess not.

I've been on this board too long @Ketchum Once I saw your list was all-time concerts you attended, I immediately knew your #1 was 2 Live Crew.

Herman has played freshmen in some of the roles Moore would play and played two DBs who will likely only be here only three years. If he thought Moore was a three and out, he would play him. I think this season is the reestablishment of heavy redshirting and an attempt to create depth and maybe in a year or so a two deep.

Reactions: pasotex

Easy lol. Don't go full Ketch on me. hahahah. I didn't mean "Frosh" in general. He has a special relationship with Brohm and you are right, staying close to home kept him from Texas. 100%. But he also wanted to showcase his talents from year 1. That just wasn't a given at Texas with the athletes we have IMO. It may have taken him till game 7 to get on the field here at Texas; or even next year. That is all I am saying. He had a better opportunity to play as a True Frosh at Purdue IMHO.

Anyways, squatting 600 lbs & his ability to cut on a dime is impressive. Kid is a stud! He has gotten me 40+ points 3 times and 20+ the rest of the games (minus 1 game).

While I somewhat understand the snarkiness of your remarks, there is some validity to the question of whether Moore would be used as extensively. It certainly is valid to question how often we would force the ball to him given our top 2 guys are CJ and LJH.

entering last week

Texas A&M Defense National Rankings

Total Defense: #23
Overall Run Defense: #3
Overall 3rd Down Defense: #2
Overall Red Zone Defense: #10
Using overall yardage rankings in college football can be misleading. If you mostly play teams that have offenses designed to milk the clock, your defense has to defend fewer possessions, fewer plays and should give up fewer yards than teams playing mainly uptempo opponents. Of course it doesn't hurt to schedule 3 or 4 high school level opponents every year.

Reactions: teflojr
This.

It’s simply stunning more than a few on
This site would prefer Texas misses out. Disgusting
Y'all are missing the point of what the question actually stated. It's not just make playoffs/miss playoffs, pick one. Obviously everyone chooses to make the playoff, duh. But the was question framed with having concrete foreknowledge of the actual result, e.g. Texas finishes the season with a big win and a top 5 ranking OR Texas finishes with a big loss and outside the top 5. Now it's a no-brainer the other way. In the real life, of course, there'd by no way of knowing what would happen beforehand; the poll is merely on a hypothetical.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT