ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The case against making the playoff ...)

I’m sorry. You take the CFP berth and take your chances that you catch Bama on an off night or, they suffer their own Colt McCoy moment and aria goes down
That's not how the question was framed. There IS no chance you catch Bama on an off night, because that's not one of the options listed in the poll. It's a 30+ point loss to Bama, period in this hypothetical. Here is verbatim what Ketch wrote:

"if he could choose one of the two following outcomes, which would he take?

a. Winning the Big 12 title, but finishing No. 5 in the playoff rankings, thus missing the playoffs. However, the Longhorns would go on to win a major bowl game, finish in the top 5 of the final rankings and have the fuel needed to push them for a big 2019 run.

b. Winning the Big 12 title and making the playoffs as the No. 4 seed, but losing to Alabama by 30+ and finishing outside of the top five in the final rankings."

a. is clearly the correct answer here.

Different from what? I mean, how would they know the focus that offseason was different? Did I somehow imagine a real-life offseason after the '08 season that was based on us losing to Florida and thus the players were actually able to compare? What would be interesting is what was the ACTUAL focus after the '09 season? I mean, they actually went through THAT offseason and given your theory they would have been laser-focused to rectify the tough ending against Bama. Ooops. Guess not.
Ever hear of the Super Bowl hangover?

Not dismissing your comments entirely, but you're discussing what might have happened and I'm speaking specifically about what did happen, both with Texas the next season and Oklahoma.

You're remembering the OU 2009 season for Bradford's injury alone, but there was a lot more to it. I can provide some fun quotes if you want me to.

Herman has played freshmen in some of the roles Moore would play and played two DBs who will likely only be here only three years. If he thought Moore was a three and out, he would play him. I think this season is the reestablishment of heavy redshirting and an attempt to create depth and maybe in a year or so a two deep.
Moore would have shown up and immediately been the best/ player on the offense. Perhaps his volume would be down, but he'd absolutely be a playmaker right now if he was at Texas.

Using overall yardage rankings in college football can be misleading. If you mostly play teams that have offenses designed to milk the clock, your defense has to defend fewer possessions, fewer plays and should give up fewer yards than teams playing mainly uptempo opponents. Of course it doesn't hurt to schedule 3 or 4 high school level opponents every year.
A&M is very good defensively. Period.

Easy lol. Don't go full Ketch on me. hahahah. I didn't mean "Frosh" in general. He has a special relationship with Brohm and you are right, staying close to home kept him from Texas. 100%. But he also wanted to showcase his talents from year 1. That just wasn't a given at Texas with the athletes we have IMO. It may have taken him till game 7 to get on the field here at Texas; or even next year. That is all I am saying. He had a better opportunity to play as a True Frosh at Purdue IMHO.

Anyways, squatting 600 lbs & his ability to cut on a dime is impressive. Kid is a stud! He has gotten me 40+ points 3 times and 20+ the rest of the games (minus 1 game).
Moore is special. He'd be the best player on the Texas offense right now and the coaches would see it every day.

Reactions: HookEmTM
Ever hear of the Super Bowl hangover?

Not dismissing your comments entirely, but you're discussing what might have happened and I'm speaking specifically about what did happen, both with Texas the next season and Oklahoma.

You're remembering the OU 2009 season for Bradford's injury alone, but there was a lot more to it. I can provide some fun quotes if you want me to.

And yet you are talking about a strictly hypothetical that the players' focus was sharp after the '08 season more than it would have been if we had played UF for the national title. You also conveniently ignore what happened to us in the the '10 season.

good talk.

You were using Total D as the metric to prove that aggy was better. Turns out West Virginia has a better total D.

It seems year in, year out, you get fooled by the aggroids early success when they've played mostly cream puffs.

And yet you are talking about a strictly hypothetical that the players' focus was sharp after the '08 season more than it would have been if we had played UF for the national title. You also conveniently ignore what happened to us in the the '10 season.
Well, the 2010 season was a completely different set of circumstances. Of course, it was ignored. I didn't discuss 2007 wither. or 1997.

You were using Total D as the metric to prove that aggy was better. Turns out West Virginia has a better total D.

It seems year in, year out, you get fooled by the aggroids early success when they've played mostly cream puffs.
Was total defense the only metric I showed? If not, why did you not list the other metrics?

Moore is special. He'd be the best player on the Texas offense right now and the coaches would see it every day.

100%. Purude knows how to use him. They get him in space or 5 and out's. The way he cuts is amazing.

Like I said, I use him as a WR in college fantasy. Lately, I have been putting LJH and Collin in as well (1 in flex). It was worked so far.

Not sure about a good bowl win vs a 30 point playoff loss, I'll have to ask some aggies how the routine 30 point losses to Bama leave them feeling.

Am I the only one who thought the 2005 Trojans were almost unbeatable, just like the Bama teams of today? How many other teams have had 2 Heisman winners in the same backfield?

The point being, you ALWAYS line up to play the game, even if there's a 95% chance you get whipped. USC seeming so dominant made that Rose Bowl/National Championship 1000 times more special. I usually try to see both sides but the 48% that would rather win the consolation prize than go for the brass ring are straight up p#ssies.

100%. Purude knows how to use him. They get him in space or 5 and out's. The way he cuts is amazing.

Like I said, I use him as a WR in college fantasy. Lately, I have been putting LJH and Collin in as well (1 in flex). It was worked so far.
Through the new Yahoo game?

Am I the only one who thought the 2005 Trojans were almost unbeatable, just like the Bama teams of today? How many other teams have had 2 Heisman winners in the same backfield?

The point being, you ALWAYS line up to play the game, even if there's a 95% chance you get whipped. USC seeming so dominant made that Rose Bowl/National Championship 1000 times more special. I usually try to see both sides but the 48% that would rather win the consolation prize than go for the brass ring are straight up p#ssies.
I didn't think USC 2005 was unbeatable, even if ESPN hyped them up to be.

I want the Playoff every time. Who's to say Nelson doesn't put the crown of his helmet right on Tuo's shoulder. All of a sudden Bama becomes beatable. It seems like that happened to some other team in a national championship game.

I want the Playoff every time. Who's to say Nelson doesn't put the crown of his helmet right on Tuo's shoulder. All of a sudden Bama becomes beatable. It seems like that happened to some other team in a national championship game.
What Nelson does or doesn't do is irrelevant, because according to the parameters of the poll, option B is a guaranteed 30+ loss to Alabama, not the opportunity to play Alabama! So if Tua got knocked out in this scenario, that just means they destroyed us with their backup QB, which makes it even worse.

What Nelson does or doesn't do is irrelevant, because according to the parameters of the poll, option B is a guaranteed 30+ loss to Alabama, not the opportunity to play Alabama! So if Tua got knocked out in this scenario, that just means they destroyed us with their backup QB, which makes it even worse.
bingo.

Take your licks and see what it’s gonna take to build a championship level program up close and personal. Anyone who is scared of that is a cuck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT