ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The Kyler Murray/Sam Ehlinger QB battle looms large...)

I think if we aggressively blitz Murray, we are going to be in big trouble. I expect us to play a lot of coverage and try and keep everything in front of us and hope to clamp down in the red zone. They are going to desperately try and expose us deep with Brown and Lamb, and I think Orlando is smart enough to realize our corners can’t cover them 1 on 1.

Our ability to make them plod along and settle for field goals instead of scoring on big plays will determine the ballgame imo.

I also agree that a heavy dose of Ingram to help control the ball along with an efficient Ehlinger are very key.
Murray has thrown a lot of good throws in coverage but he had all day to do it. OU’s OL is good but we’re goikg to have to disrupt him and limit the big plays. Hello Boyd are you listening? I think you’re going to see cloud coverage for that reason. They like to attack the middle of the field and their WR are good down field blockers. If we can disrupt that we’ll have a chance. With Anderson being out that helps us a lot. On offense we need them to come up and play the run and let Sam torch them when a lot of LJH and CJ.

Reactions: hornballer822
Too easy and simplistic to say this game comes down to Kyler vs Sam.

To me, this game is all about Hollywood Brown vs Kris Boyd, and to a greater extent, the OU WRs against the Texas DBs. Last years game was decided by one misplayed ball in the air by Kris Boyd and one badly blown coverage to Mark Andrews. As good as Mayfield was overall at OU, he never really did anything special as a QB in his 3 years against Texas.

OU has had 8! pass plays of over 40 yards the last two years, but pretty much every single one of those huge pass plays were a combination of the OU WRs making great plays after the catch and the Texas secondary getting badly beaten.

Murray isnt the key, its our DBs against OUs WRs.

we've seen fans be ahead of the coaching curve before...

And we've seen them be clueless as well (far more often than being ahead). I'm trusting the coaching staff, particularly in the case of bringing along a first-year running back.

I fear that Murray kills us and our O does not perform. I hope I am wrong, but I could see a 42-16 type lopsided game. I think the coaches start Watson because they fear the "freshman starting his first game at TX-ou" thing, but bring in Ingram on 2nd or 3rd series and he is the primary RB thereafter. IF we can keep Murray somewhat constrained and Ehlinger plays well, UT can win 30-27.

It will be Texas vs the winner of WVU & Okie Lite in the B12 Championship Game.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Number-5
I think we have a good shot at the W, but our lack of a consistent pass rush and our secondary’s tendency to bite on double moves and pump fakes makes me worried about too many big plays against OU’s receivers. If our boys come to play for 4 quarters we can beat those f*ckers though.

Where were you when you saw the Sturridge goal? Listened to the TAW post-game show and they talked about how you should see that type of goal with a friend. Saw it with my kid on my phone catching a bite between his games. Think we’ll remember that moment forever. Very cool.

I think 400 is a little bit of an exaggeration though. :)

So you are confirming that you think you know more about football than Tom Herman...

I confirmed that both your reading comprehension and your ability to understand metaphors is as bad as your shtick. Thank you for the ignore feature Ketch.

I sorta agree, but I’m concerned that giving Ingram 20 carries a game might wear him out by season’s end.

I’d kill to have JK Dobbins and Ingram as your two main feature backs.

you don't think 20 carries with a WIN would excite this young man and have our team focus on staying healthy??? at season' end ? (reminder: Kansas is our last opponent)

we've seen fans be ahead of the coaching curve before...
Wait a minute, you’re actually promoting this notion that a bunch of brokedicks on a football website (you included) are on the same level as the coaching staff when it comes to evaluating the guys on this team? How many practices have you even gotten to watch in their entirety?

hile Ingram is coming off an injury from a few weeks ago, I'm not buying it as the reason Ingram had only six carries through the first 45 minutes of a close game. Instead, I'm just not sure that Tom Herman and Stan Drayton have been as quick to understand and process his importance to this offense being good.

That's quite a leap of faith. The young man suffered two injuries in the span on two weeks, and you're positive of his body conditions enough to make this type of claim? People before the game said we needed to rest him and get him ready for OU. Instead we give him 10 carries, Watson, 7, and Young 2. Does that sound like not understanding his importance?

I guess I'm just astounded sometimes at certain critiques of things we don't even know(like how healthy Ingram is or assume a proven staff member is too stupid to know his best players) but hey let's just assume the worst. Clearly Drayton has no clue what a good RB looks like or how to figure out the best back *shrugs*

Reactions: cooleyo
Do you believe that Kyler Murray is better than Baker Mayfield? Do you think that Texas is not improved from last year? Take away a late game defensive lapse and Texas would have beaten OU last year, despite falling behind early. They have played nobody good this year, and I see no reason why we can't win this game.

Don’t think I said that. Murray is faster and a better runner than Mayfield.

I’d agree OU can be beat. Play zone all night, stop the run and put pressure on Murray.

It’s time to relegate Watson to mop-up duty. He’s just a guy at running back, and this offense can’t afford to keep its few true play-makers on the sidelines.
Disagree. He's not as good as Ingram, but he's a pretty good back.

Reactions: trophies2
Murray's numbers are ludicrous and would be so even if they'd come against FCS teams.

I hate that I was right about that offense not falling apart without Mayfield.

ADVERTISEMENT