ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The QB decisions Herman has to make... )

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
san-jose-st-texas-football-54694-jpg.

Over the course of the first few weeks of training camp in August, Tom Herman tried to give every impression that he had a legit quarterback competition, as he waited until camp ended before naming Shane Buechele as his starter.

Over the course of the last week or so since Buechele injured his throwing shoulder, Herman has seemed to give every impression that he doesn't really have an active quarterback competition.

Well, I have a message for Herman ...

Ready or not, he absolutely has an active quarterback competition on his hands.

Personally, I don't know what the right answer is because it's complicated.

If healthy, I think ... I think ... Shane Buchele is his best option heading into game three of the season. He's the more experienced player, the game is probably is a little slower for him and he's currently a more accurate passer. So, if he's healthy, I totally understand Herman feeling like Buechele is the right call.

Yet, there are a few things about Sam Ehlinger that make me wonder if he will be the answer to this question by the time week 10 rolls around.

1. Ehlinger gives the offense more of a rushing component that is more natural to Tom Herman's offense than Buechele does, partly out of willingness and partly out of the constant fear that Buechele's body has shown a tendency to wear down. Having a runner at the quarterback position that knows exactly when to tuck the ball and get up-field is a critical piece of any college offense in 2017 because those are often the plays for which opposing defenses can't account.

2. Ehlinger will push the ball down the field in the passing game more than Buechele, who is much more comfortable working the underneath areas of the field. In his very first start, Ehlinger attacked areas of the field that Buechele typically does not with the same level of confidence. Ehlinger's ability to stretch the field, especially down the seams, opens up windows and doors for the entire offense in a way that is also critically needed.

3. Ehlinger is the more natural alpha. That's not really my opinion. That's based on everything that Herman has ever said about the two players, as one he is constantly asking for more of in that department, while the other seemingly has exactly what he wants.

In a perfect world, Ehlinger would have redshirted this season, but the genie is out of the bottle and isn't going back in.

The staff will have to weigh all season long the value of playing the guy who is the best option for today versus the value of playing the guy that is potentially the best player in two months.

What's the right call? Again, I'm not sure.

The hope would be that the guy being paid millions to make the right call knows exactly when to pull the strings, IF the strings need be pulled.

No. 2 – The elephant in the room going into this week ...

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAl3AAAAJDY0YjQxYzZjLThjYmUtNGU2NS1iYzVkLTg4NGY1ZTUwZTAzYg.jpg

It remains to be seen whether Buechele will be able to play this week. As of Saturday, he hasn't been throwing the football for a week because of an injury to his throwing shoulder.

While Herman seemed optimistic about Buechele's return, he seemed to choose his words carefully on Saturday in the post-game when painting a picture of the situation.

If Ehlinger starts at USC and plays well ...

No. 3 - The thing that stands out in a good way 24 hours later ...

Anwar mentioned it on the Facebook Live post-game show and Dustin mentioned it on the message board on Sunday, but Tom Herman, his coaches and (most importantly) his team deserve credit for playing a full 60-minute game on Saturday.

It would have been easy for the team to let its guard down or for the back-ups to finish the game in sloppy fashion. We're certainly seen enough of that over the years, even with the best Texas teams, to know that it is a real possibility, especially with the crowd thinking about post-game beers at that point.

Yet, you can make a case that the Longhorns played a better fourth quarter than first quarter, which indicates that Texas imposed its will in the game and never let up.

It's not the kind of thing to throw a parade over, but 24 hours later it's still a standout moment from Saturday.

No. 4 – One thing that absolutely must improve ...

The Texas wide receivers have to play better.

In addition to too many balls hitting the ground that hit the hands of receivers, there were times when I didn't think they fought for the ball hard enough when it was in the air.

This Texas offense can get away with leaving big plays out on the field at home against San Jose State, but it will prove to be incredibly costly should Saturday repeat itself in Los Angeles.

Specifically, I think Collin Johnson needs to flip his switch into "grown-man" mode if possible because I thought he was missing some "junkyard dog" attitude against the Spartans. Texas needs him to be one of the best players on the field in its big games this season.

No. 5 – Buy or Sell …
buy_sell.jpg

BUY or SELL: Texas can lose to USC, but still win a "moral victory?"

(Buy) Texas got drilled by UCLA in Mack Brown's third game as head coach in Austin back in 1998, but the team played its guts out and at the end of the day, 20,000+ Texas fans gave the team a standing ovation in the Rose Bowl. A moral victory isn't a check you want to have to cash often, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

BUY or SELL: Kyle Porter is still top two on the RB depth chart by November?

(Sell) Toneil Carter just needs more touches and he's going to climb the depth chart.

BUY or SELL: Shane Buechele starts vs USC?

(Sell) It's possible, but until I see him practicing, I will err on the side of caution.

BUY or SELL: Both USC and Texas score over 35?

(Sell) That's a level of benefit of the doubt I am not willing to give this Texas offense.

BUY or SELL: In your opinion, Chris Warren should receive at least 40 percent of the total offensive touches moving forward?

(Sell) I think he probably needs 25+ touches this week for Texas to have a chance, but over the course of the season, I'd like to see your number spread out to some of the younger backs on the roster.

BUY or SELL: Those young Texas running backs should get on the field against USC based on what we saw in the game against San Jose State.

(Buy) You can't show fear. You have to play to win, not to lose.

BUY or SELL: CTH will have a better five-year overall record than Lincoln Riley ... assuming they are both around for five years?

(Sell) The way this season could go, it's possible Riley will have twice or nearly twice as many wins in year one, which means Herman would need to outperform him to the tune of close to two wins per season over the following four years and I haven't seen enough from this Texas to assume that will take place.

No. 6 – Giving props where props are do ...

Damn, Oklahoma, that was seriously impressive.

After a pretty uninspiring first half, Lincoln Riley's boys took that game in Columbus by the throat in emphatic fashion.

THAT IS HOW YOU SEND A FREAKING STATEMENT!

You want to know how you change someone's mind about a team with a new coach? Just do that.

Also, did anyone else find it amusing to watch Bob Stoops go YOLO as a fan at the game? I don't know that he ever allowed himself to feel that good about any win he ever had.

No. 7 – How Bout Them Cowboys?

Either the New York Giants are awful or I've underestimated this Dallas Cowboys team.

Regardless, any time the Cowboys beat the Giants, it's a good day, especially when it occurs in dominating fashion.

Dak Prescott was being nitpicked by some during the game, but I thought he was excellent in what will be remembered as just a pretty good game.

He's a better football player and that is reason for real optimism.

No. 8 – You know what Sheriff Buford T. Justice would say about the Texans ...

Woof.

You can't make too much out of any first game, and I would stress that in this situation, but that opener looked a lot like the Longhorns opener. Pretty much everything was bad, except Texas had much better quarterback play than the Texans.

I guess the bottom line for me on a Hot Take Sunday Night is that I don't believe in Bill O'Brien as a head coach.

He's not the guy.

No. 9 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... There's going to be a lot on the line in Bedlam this year, possibly the pole position for a spot in the college playoff and the Heisman Trophy race.

... Baker Mayfield planting the OU flag in Columbus will live on in Oklahoma folklore for the next 100 years.

... Sam Darnald was 21 of 26 for 316 yards and four touchdowns against Stanford. Todd Orlando is going to have his hands full this week.

... Damn, James!

... Lamar Jackson is currently a 9/5 favorite to repeat for the Heisman.

.... DeAndre McNeil caught three passes for 103 yards and a touchdown for Florida Atlantic at Wisconsin.

... There's a very good chance that Kansas State will be a top-15 team when it comes to Austin a few weeks.

... I am so glad I'm not a Bengals fan because I'd claw my eyes out over Andy Dalton.

... If I'm a Jordan Howard fantasy owner, I'd be a tad nervous right about now.

... The Lions looked like hot garbage for a quarter and then looked like a playoff team for the final three quarters. The reverse was true of Arizona.

... Malcolm Brown scored his first touchdown of his career for the Rams on Sunday. Attaboy, Malcolm.

... Rafa. Freaking. Nadal. He's still coming for you, Rog.

... What happened with Sloane Stephens the last two weeks of the US Open was nothing short of being a future Disney movie. Six weeks ago she was barely a top 1,000 player in the rankings. Wow.

... I paid absolutely zero attention to UFC 215 on Saturday night.

No. 10 – And finally …

I''ll leave you with the most Kasey Studdard thing Kasey Studdard could possibly do this weekend.

Last edited:
This is going to be a patch work offense all year no matter who is at QB. For what feels like the 50th straight year we have a TF QB the mods continue to pimp over a TS QB.
I guess we just won't ever learn our lesson.

Reactions: reddoor
I will be shocked if TH doesn't go SB, assuming he is available. Its just coaching 101. But, man, I got a great vibe from SE. He is bigger and stronger, better body language, gives the O a run escape, has a bigger arm, and I felt emitted a confidence that could be felt by his teammates.

2. Ehlinger will push the ball down the field in the passing game more than Buechele, who is much more comfortable working the underneath areas of the field.
I guess we just pretend last year didn't happen? Buechele was incredible throwing the ball down the field, easily his biggest strength. After one game, that's out the window? What plays down the field did Ehlinger complete this week? Weird reasoning IMO.

Damn good column. Not a Texans fan, but with all that has gone on in Houston over the last few weeks, I give them a 1 game pass. However, I think you are spot on regarding their HC.

Reactions: Mfelt and cnapp
nice read Ketch.
This will be an interesting game for us - how will we respond now that we took an IV of confidence from SJS? This will be a big-time game, will our coaches produce like we saw when they were at UH (see OU game), keeping us in the game?
To me it's fun from the standpoint that we really don't know what we will have, and it could be a mixed bag, versus previous years where it was "bad or worse" so to speak.
Anyway, football is back, so we are now like the served junkies on " the Wire" LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: HookemHood86
This quarterback situation has become too politicized and is becoming increasingly divisive.

Herman gets paid to make these decisions. He'll make it and that's it.

As far as I'm concerned, since they already burned Ehlinger's redshirt, by necessity, they should just use all three quarterbacks.

If managed correctly and smartly, that can be very effective.

Last edited:
@Ketchum ..... I certainly believe Herman is enjoying the quarterback "discussion " but he firmly knows who he will go with against USC

Reactions: utguz
This quarterback situation has become too politicized and is becoming increasingly divisive.

Herman gets paid to make these decisions. He'll make it and that's it.

As far as I'm concerned, since they already burned Ehlinger's redshirt, by necessity, they should just use all three quarterbacks. If managed correctly and smartly, then that can very effective.
- never thought of that, but it is interesting - maybe a platoon type thing like we have seen in past - with JH as a wild card. Hmmm

Reactions: trophies2
I guess we just pretend last year didn't happen? Buechele was incredible throwing the ball down the field, easily his biggest strength. After one game, that's out the window? What plays down the field did Ehlinger complete this week? Weird reasoning IMO.

Guess we'll also pretend Sam didn't push the ball downfield MANY times into crowded spots.

i see the Shane/Sam decision as a pretty easy one. Yes Shane is the more experienced and polished passer at this time but it's all about moving the chains. Our offense is not good enough for Shane to stand back there, even when healthy, too many 3 n outs.

With Sam in there you give up some of the passing accuracy at this point, but gain more 1st downs as when our plan breaks down, he is much better at scrambling and making something out of nothing.

We will find out way before game 10 if Buechele is the answer this season. I hope so because of he's not this season will really get crazy and unpredictable.

I know a lot of people want Warren to get all the carries but I also think they need to spread the touches when they can so they don't run Warren to the ground especially with his injury history. I don't think he's ready yet to be a D Foreman type of back.

Reactions: bozans
Guess we'll also pretend Sam didn't push the ball downfield MANY times into crowded spots.
Both guys had four completions of 20+ yards. Sam attempted more down the field, just didn't complete many.

Reactions: bozans
That looked like a 16 ounce beer that Studdard chugged. Impressive.

He throws a great deep ball, but he doesn't work the intermediate areas a lot,the deep intermediate areas or the seams as well as Sam. There's more to working the entire field than just throwing a great timing ball on go routes.

ADVERTISEMENT