ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The reality of the moment for Herman's Longhorns...)

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

I suppose I've got a bit of good and bad news for the 2019 Texas Longhorns.

In a message that Tom Herman will surely support, the Texas Longhorns still have a season with their biggest goal in front of them and obtainable. The most important task that needed to be executed this season was winning the Big 12 Championship. With one conference loss, a win over Oklahoma State and the Oklahoma game out of the way, a rematch with the Sooners would open the door for this season to still represent a very successful season.

In a message that Herman will almost certainly not support, this year's Longhorns have potentially used all of their "get out of jail" cards for the rest of the season if they want to call this season a success at the turn of the year.

Save me all the "1-0" remarks because when you're 4-2 at the midway point of the season and have lost the two most important games on the entire schedule, a little big picture reality is almost certainly needed. After winning the Sugar Bowl and appearing in the Big 12 title game last season, ready or not, the expectations have increased and the demands for more are higher.

That's the job. When you get into year three as the head coach at a school like Texas, excuses or reasons (whichever way you want to label it) for not achieving the outlined definition of the words "successful season" don't really fly.

It was that way for John Mackovic. It was that way for Mack Brown. It was that way for Charlie Strong.

Hell, it might just be the most consistent thing about the Texas football program, unless you want to suggest that allowing Oklahoma to consistently dominate the Big 12 is even more consistent, at which point I'd probably allow it.

Anyways, the Longhorns now have two steps that must be taken to save this season.

a. Do what it takes to get to Dallas in December for a rematch for the Big 12 Championship Game.
b. Beat Oklahoma for the Big 12 Championship.

Anything less than both represents a disappointing season. Anything less than making it back to Dallas would represent regression. Period.

As it relates to making it back to the Big 12 Championship Game, the Longhorns are in pretty good shape, but it's going to need the kind of consistent quality that existed in September and not the below-standards production of the last two games in all three phases of the game to get it done. More than anything, beating Baylor in Waco on November 23 probably becomes the most important game remaining on the schedule because a loss would mean Texas would need at least three Baylor losses in its other final five games because of the head-to-head tie-breaker the Bears would have over the Longhorns in the event of a tie.

Given the shape of the current standings and the fact that the Longhorns are the only Big 12 "contender" that has faced Oklahoma so far this season, that game in Waco is paramount. The game in Ames is right behind it in terms of importance.

For the sake of continuing to outline what needs to happen to save this season, let's assume the Longhorns navigate the final six games successfully and make it back to Dallas for the Oklahoma rematch.

They have to win that game. For countless reasons.

It was would give Oklahoma its 147th Big 12 title, at least I think that's the number (it certainly feels that way) and it would leave Herman with a 1-4 record against the Sooners, which would include an 0-2 mark in Big 12 Championship games.

What would the stakes be should the Longhorns come up short?

That's a great question. Outside of losing the sky high spirits that have existed around the program for the last nine months and wasting one of the upper-class years of arguably the third-best quarterback in school history in the making, Herman would likely enter the most important season of his career. A high-level Texas official told me when Herman was hired that if he hadn't win a Big 12 title by year four, it would mean they hired the wrong coach.

While that might sound harsh, we're talking about a school that fired Mackovic one year after he won a Big 12 title and Strong three years into a deal. This place doesn't really do the whole failing to meet expectations thing very well. It would make the 2020 season, which would be Ehlinger's senior season, extremely critical.

We're not at any sort of a crisis moment, but we are at a reality check moment.

It's year three. The time to become the program that you project the program to be is now. Not being able to do will lead to some unrest because that's the reality of the world we live in.

No. 2 - Let's talk about Sam ...

It was three weeks ago on Monday that Orangebloods first reported the rib injury that Texas starting quarterback Sam Ehlinger has been dealing with since the early part of the season.

It's not something Ehlinger or Tom Herman has made any kind of public issue with, likely because a rib injury isn't exactly the kind of thing you want to make a public announcement on when you take the shots to the body that Ehlinger already takes.

My own sources indicated that the injury occurred during the LSU game and remained an issue over the course of the next couple of weeks going into the bye week in September, even though he played very well, which is one of the reasons why there wasn't much of a fuss about the whole situation.

Yet, going into the bye week the injury remained enough of a problem that Ehlinger was given some rest during the off-week, which is when we first reported the ongoing issue. On Thursday, I reported in the TicketCity Podcast and and in a discussion on the Orangebloods message boards that Ehlinger reportedly had been bothered by the injury in the second half of the West Virginia game. Meanwhile, Anwar Richardson reported in Thursday's War Room that Ehlinger was also dealing with some sort of shoulder injury.

Again, Ehlinger hasn't complained about any of this, but it's important to note because his numbers from the last two weeks have declined considerably from the first four games of the season.

A week after posting a season-worst 122.2 efficiency number against West Virginia (by 43.5 points), Ehlinger's posted a new season-worst efficiency number (114.8) against the Sooners.

Of course, drops had a lot to do with that number, but the naked eye could see that Ehlinger wasn't 100-percent right in that game. So much of Ehlinger's success as a player is the escapability in the pocket that makes him sometimes impossible to corral for opposing defenses. Against the Sooners, Ehlinger looked a little stiff and seemed to lack some of his natural mobility, which absolutely contributed to the nine sacks that the Longhorns gave up against the Sooners.

What's the point of all of this?

I suppose it's to point out an elephant in the room. In order to be great, Texas needs Ehlinger to be great and in the last two weeks he hasn't been great while dealing with multiple physical ailments. It's not the biggest thing in the world, but is a thing and a thing we're all going to need to keep an eye on in the coming weeks.

No. 3 - Call me crazy ...

The next time the Longhorns play the Sooners, it might be a good eye to do as well of a self-scouting job as it will be to re-scout the Sooners, as least as it relates to the Texas offense.

I'm not automatically saying that the Sooners knew what the Longhorns were doing pre-snap, but it sure seemed that way, especially when the Longhorns tried to create anything with the east-west passing game. Every time the Longhorns threw the ball into the flat, Oklahoma linebacker Kenneth Murray seemed to have a head start on the play.

As someone that has watched the Texas back alignment on almost every play for the last two years to get an idea of whether Texas is going to run or pass on each play (if the running back is lined up within a yard of Ehlinger in the backfield, it's almost always a pass play), I'd suggest the Longhorn coaching staff make every effort to make it harder for opposing defenses to know with certainty what's coming at them.

No. 4 - All Big-12 Longhorns ...

If we were to do an all-Big 12 team at the midway point in the season, these are the Longhorns that would earn first-team all-Big 12 mention:

Devin Duvernay and Sam Cosmi.

I'd ask if I'm missing anyone else, but I already know the answer to that question ... no. The fact that the Longhorns have only two true first-team all-Big 12 players at this point in the season in all three phases of the game is one of the reasons why the Longhorns haven't quite hit an elite stride this season.

No. 5 - Five Players I'm Still Thinking About 24 Hours Later ...

Anthony Cook - The only player on the Texas defense that I absolutely want to give an "attaboy" to on the defensive side of the ball is the sophomore from Houston Lamar. Playing in what would normally be Jalen Green's spot on the field, Cook not only made the biggest defensive play of the game with his forced fumble in the first quarter, but he played a winning brand of football throughout the game when he was on the field.

B.J. Foster - I thought he looked like a shell of the player I know exists inside that No. 25 jersey. Just how banged up is he right now?

Roschon Johnson - The true freshman has 216 yards rushing on 29 carries in the last two weeks, while sophomore Keaontay Ingram has rushed for 27 yards on 13 carries over the same timeframe. The Longhorn coaching staff can't wait until the third quarter this week to get him involved in the offense.

Derek Kerstetter - This makes two weeks in a row that Kerstetter has struggled in handling the players and tactics that opposing teams are throwing his way. Considering teams aren't even really bothering to attack the left side of the Texas line, Kerstetter is simply going to need to improve because the blue-print for going after this line is well-known at this point.

Zach Shackelford - For a senior captain that came into the season as a first-team all-Big 12 player, I just didn't think Shackelford played well enough on Saturday. Whether it was being unable to handle Neville Gallimore in one-on-one situations or recognizing the stunts that Oklahoma was running directly at him, Shackelford's fingerprints were all over the things that went down in the Texas backfield.

No. 6 - If I had a vote that mattered ...

1. LSU
2. Ohio State
3. Alabama
4. Oklahoma
5. Clemson
6. Wisconsin
7. Florida
8. Penn State
9. Georgia
10. Notre Dame

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …
BUY-SELL.gif

Herman is too arrogant to make the meaningful changes that would address what we saw on Saturday
(Sell) Coming into this season, one of the things I've liked about Herman as a CEO is his ability to make changes quickly in areas that he needed to make changes. If this season goes sideways, he won't stand pat.

B/S: The most underappreciated fact about the new OU defensive coordinator is that coming from Ohio State he knows our offense almost as well as our coach.
(Buy) You read my mind.

B/S: Do the special teams blunders get fixed by November?
(Buy) I have no evidence to give you to support this belief, but surely the insanity will end.

We make it to the Big XII championship game but lose to OU worse than we did yesterday.
(Buy) I know a lot of Texas fans believe that Texas can play much better in a rematch, but I kind of feel like Oklahoma played a C+ game on offense yesterday, especially with the mistakes it made in the red zone. I was confident of a Texas win in a rematch before yesterday, but now my belief has been shaken.

Recruiting took a setback yesterday.
(Sell) Nah ... Typically, recruitments don't change on a dime because of the outcome of a single game. What happens the rest of the season greatly matters though ...

The crap talking and "confidence" was orchestrated by the staff. Because they knew they were outmatched and hoped to evoke emotion as an equalizer?
(Sell) Nah ...

Is the lack of a pass rush attributed to the defensive scheme that places priority on the number of defensive backs with only three downed linemen?
(Sell) It's more than merely scheme. It's talented-related as well.

The offensive line struggles yesterday can be more attributed to scheme than to overall poor play up front
(Sell) I don't believe that at all.

We beat OU with a healthy defense
(Sell) The guys that are missing haven't exactly been tearing it up when healthy.

B/S: Todd Orlando adjusts and begins using a four-man front this year.
(Sell) No, I don't see him doing that.

The notion that UT is DBU needs to be put on the shelf for several years.
(Buy) Only DeShon Elliott has been a consensus all-American since 2009, so ... yeah ...

B/S: Tom Herman will win a national championship as a head coach.
(Sell) That's always been my mindset, though, so nothing has changed.

B/S - If Texas isn't in the College Football Playoff by year five, then Tom Herman wasn't the right guy.
(Buy) Half a decade is enough time to draw some conclusions, but we're still two seasons away from that particular standard.

No. 8 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... Texas Tech was absolutely robbed in Waco. The Big 12 confirmed this on Sunday.

... I really thought that Ed Orgeron was going to fall on his face as the head coach for LSU and I have been 100-percent wrong in not giving him enough respect.

... Will Muschamp picked up the biggest win of his career on Saturday and it changes nothing about where that program is going as far as I can see. Consider that a one-off.

... I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say about the Dallas Cowboys other than I feel slightly stupid for drinking just a bit of the Kool-aid. I was never thinking Super Bowl, but my goodness, I thought the team was better than what we watched on Sunday.

... DeShaun Watson didn't even have his A-game on Sunday and the Texans beat the Chiefs at Arrowhead. I don't know what it means, but the Texans have regained my attention, even though I know BOB will mess it all up at some point.

... The 49ers dominated the Rams. Dominated them.

... The Browns are 2-4 and that makes me smile.

... The Eagles still haven't covered Stefan Diggs.

... What must Bryce Harper be thinking right now with the Nationals on a potential World Series run? I'm sure he's happy for his former teammates, but man ...

... When I grow up, I want to be Sadio Mane.
EGs07LJXYAEgE69

... Gini with the Goal of the Weekend!

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 Willie Joints ...

Taking into account all of the work over the span of decades and decades, here's a look at look at my Top 10 Willie songs, as performed by Willie.

Note: Before anyone asks, Crazy is one of my all-time favorite songs, but his version of the song isn't my favorite. Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly fine, but it doesn't make my PERSONAL top 10 list.

The key word is PERSONAL.

10. Hello Walls
9. Night Life
8. Always on my Mind
7. Whiskey River
6. Goodhearted Woman
5. Pancho and Lefty
4. Angel Flying Too Close to The Ground
3. A Song For You
2. Blue Eyes Crying in the rain
1. Seven Spanish Angels

No. 10 – And Finally ...

My favorite Texas/OU photo from this weekend came via a friend's Facebook photo. Part of me sees the world's biggest Longhorns fan and the other part of me can't stop thinking about the dog from Little Nicky.

EGsG4eVXkAATDav

In a message that Tom Herman will surely support, the Texas Longhorns still have a season with their biggest goal in front of them and obtainable. The most important task that needed to be executed this season was winning the Big 12 Championship. With one conference loss, a win over Oklahoma State and the Oklahoma game out of the way, a rematch with the Sooners would open the door for this season to still represent a very successful season.

In a message that Herman will almost certainly not support, this year's Longhorns have potentially used all of their "get out of jail" cards for the rest of the season if they want to call this season a success at the turn of the year.

Save me all the "1-0" remarks because when you're 4-2 at the midway point of the season and have lost the two most important games on the entire schedule, a little big picture reality is almost certainly needed. After winning the Sugar Bowl and appearing in the Big 12 title game last season, ready or not, the expectations have increased and the demands for more are higher.

That's the job. When you get into year three as the head coach at a school like Texas, excuses or reasons (whichever way you want to label it) for not achieving the outlined definition of the words "successful season" don't really fly.

It was that way for John Mackovic. It was that way for Mack Brown. It was that way for Charlie Strong.

Hell, it might just be the most consistent thing about the Texas football program, unless you want to suggest that allowing Oklahoma to consistently dominate the Big 12 is even more consistent, at which point I'd probably allow it.

Anyways, the Longhorns now have two steps that must be taken to save this season.

a. Do what it takes to get to Dallas in December for a rematch for the Big 12 Championship Game.

Anything less than both represents a disappointing season. Anything less than making it back to Dallas would represent regression. Period.

As it relates to making it back to the Big 12 Championship Game, the Longhorns are in pretty good shape, but it's going to need the kind of consistent quality that existed in September and not the below-standards production of the last two games in all three phases of the game to get it done. More than anything, beating Baylor in Waco on November 23 probably becomes the most important game remaining on the schedule because a loss would mean Texas would need at least three Baylor losses in its other final five games because of the head-to-head tie-breaker the Bears would have over the Longhorns in the event of a tie.

Given the shape of the current standings and the fact that the Longhorns are the only Big 12 "contender" that has faced Oklahoma so far this season, that game in Waco is paramount. The game in Ames is right behind it in terms of importance.

For the sake of continuing to outline what needs to happen to save this season, let's assume the Longhorns navigate the final six games successfully and make it back to Dallas for the Oklahoma rematch.

It was would give Oklahoma its 147th Big 12 title, at least I think that's the number (it certainly feels that way) and it would leave Herman with a 1-4 record against the Sooners, which would include an 0-2 mark in Big 12 Championship games.

That's a great question. Outside of losing the sky high spirits that have existed around the program for the last nine months and wasting one of the upper-class years of arguably the third-best quarterback in school history in the making, Herman would likely enter the most important season of his career. A high-level Texas official told me when Herman was hired that if he hadn't win a Big 12 title by year four, it would mean they hired the wrong coach.

While that might sound harsh, we're talking about a school that fired Mackovic one year after he won a Big 12 title and Strong three years into a deal. This place doesn't really do the whole failing to meet expectations thing very well. It would make the 2020 season, which would be Ehlinger's senior season, extremely critical.

It's year three. The time to become the program that you project the program to be is now. Not being able to do will lead to some unrest because that's the reality of the world we live in.

It was three weeks ago on Monday that Orangebloods first reported the rib injury that Texas starting quarterback Sam Ehlinger has been dealing with since the early part of the season.

It's not something Ehlinger or Tom Herman has made any kind of public issue with, likely because a rib injury isn't exactly the kind of thing you want to make a public announcement on when you take the shots to the body that Ehlinger already takes.

My own sources indicated that the injury occurred during the LSU game and remained an issue over the course of the next couple of weeks going into the bye week in September, even though he played very well, which is one of the reasons why there wasn't much of a fuss about the whole situation.

Yet, going into the bye week the injury remained enough of a problem that Ehlinger was given some rest during the off-week, which is when we first reported the ongoing issue. On Thursday, I reported in the TicketCity Podcast and and in a discussion on the Orangebloods message boards that Ehlinger reportedly had been bothered by the injury in the second half of the West Virginia game. Meanwhile, Anwar Richardson reported in Thursday's War Room that Ehlinger was also dealing with some sort of shoulder injury.

Again, Ehlinger hasn't complained about any of this, but it's important to note because his numbers from the last two weeks have declined considerably from the first four games of the season.

A week after posting a season-worst 122.2 efficiency number against West Virginia (by 43.5 points), Ehlinger's posted a new season-worst efficiency number (114.8) against the Sooners.

Of course, drops had a lot to do with that number, but the naked eye could see that Ehlinger wasn't 100-percent right in that game. So much of Ehlinger's success as a player is the escapability in the pocket that makes him sometimes impossible to corral for opposing defenses. Against the Sooners, Ehlinger looked a little stiff and seemed to lack some of his natural mobility, which absolutely contributed to the nine sacks that the Longhorns gave up against the Sooners.

I suppose it's to point out an elephant in the room. In order to be great, Texas needs Ehlinger to be great and in the last two weeks he hasn't been great while dealing with multiple physical ailments. It's not the biggest thing in the world, but is a thing and a thing we're all going to need to keep an eye on in the coming weeks.

The next time the Longhorns play the Sooners, it might be a good eye to do as well of a self-scouting job as it will be to re-scout the Sooners, as least as it relates to the Texas offense.

I'm not automatically saying that the Sooners knew what the Longhorns were doing pre-snap, but it sure seemed that way, especially when the Longhorns tried to create anything with the east-west passing game. Every time the Longhorns threw the ball into the flat, Oklahoma linebacker Kenneth Murray seemed to have a head start on the play.

As someone that has watched the Texas back alignment on almost every play for the last two years to get an idea of whether Texas is going to run or pass on each play (if the running back is lined up within a yard of Ehlinger in the backfield, it's almost always a pass play), I'd suggest the Longhorn coaching staff make every effort to make it harder for opposing defenses to know with certainty what's coming at them.

If we were to do an all-Big 12 team at the midway point in the season, these are the Longhorns that would earn first-team all-Big 12 mention:

I'd ask if I'm missing anyone else, but I already know the answer to that question ... no. The fact that the Longhorns have only two true first-team all-Big 12 players at this point in the season in all three phases of the game is one of the reasons why the Longhorns haven't quite hit an elite stride this season.

Anthony Cook - The only player on the Texas defense that I absolutely want to give an "attaboy" to on the defensive side of the ball is the sophomore from Houston Lamar. Playing in what would normally be Jalen Green's spot on the field, Cook not only made the biggest defensive play of the game with his forced fumble in the first quarter, but he played a winning brand of football throughout the game when he was on the field.

... DeShaun Watson didn't even have his A-game on Sunday and the Texans beat the Chiefs at Arrowhead. I don't know what it means, but the Texans have regained my attention, even though I know BOB will mess it all up at some point.

... What must Bryce Harper be thinking right now with the Nationals on a potential World Series run? I'm sure he's happy for his former teammates, but man ...

EGs07LJXYAEgE69

Taking into account all of the work over the span of decades and decades, here's a look at look at my Top 10 Willie songs, as performed by Willie.

Note: Before anyone asks, Crazy is one of my all-time favorite songs, but his version of the song isn't my favorite. Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly fine, but it doesn't make my PERSONAL top 10 list.

10. Hello Walls
9. Night Life
8. Always on my Mind
7. Whiskey River
6. Goodhearted Woman
5. Pancho and Lefty
3. A Song For You
1. Seven Spanish Angels

No. 10 – And Finally ...

My favorite Texas/OU photo from this weekend came via a friend's Facebook photo. Part of me sees the world's biggest Longhorns fan and the other part of me can't stop thinking about the dog from Little Nicky.

EGsG4eVXkAATDav

imagine Deshauns numbers if Will Fuller didn’t have such butter fingers.

Since the LSU game, Texas appears flat emotionally and physically. Of course there are those moments when they get worked up, but from Sam to Foster, they all look flat like the bravado and swagger they normally come with is gone. It was obvious against OU. Its almost like they are waiting for the other shoe to drop or some thing...

Wow the same 5-6 obvious points brought up for 4 weeks by Mods and every other jackleg like myself. Better Win Out !! Hook ‘em !!

Reactions: edmondhorn2
I would put Shotgun Willie on my list because that was the first song of his that I have ever heard at Jeppesen Stadium in 1973, at a rock concert of all things. I was in high school and didn’t appreciate much country music. He made me a fan.

Reactions: dirtlawyer
O-line will be fine. Sam will heal up and be fine.

The two things that concern me are tackling and CTH’s seemingly lack of ability to entertain the fact that maybe he doesn’t hang the fvcking moon and that the arrogant Mensa schtick gets really old when you get out coached.

But I think if we can learn to tackle in the next two weeks, we should be ok.

Can someone explain what happened on that bad snap in the Baylor/Tech game? I didn’t see it. Did they rule it an illegal snap, penalize Baylor but let them still keep possession?

(Buy) I know a lot of Texas fans believe that Texas can play much better in a rematch, but I kind of feel like Oklahoma played a C+ game on offense yesterday, especially with the mistakes it made in the red zone. I was confident of a Texas win in a rematch before yesterday, but now my belief has been shaken.

I think OU played a great defensive game and I believe that defense can be had with a proper game plan, but we saw what to expect from Hurts on Offense. I don't think we can make that assumption from a team that will be trying to be a team twice.

So you DON'T see Herman winning a national championship?

... I really thought that Ed Orgeron was going to fall on his face as the head coach for LSU and I have been 100-percent wrong in not giving him enough respect.

I think Coach Ed has learned from his Ol' Miss days and being at USC. He's become a better evaluator of coaching talent, and hires that said talent. I for one didn't see it coming.

Reactions: 94Sip and NativeTex
CS said:
B/S: Tom Herman will win a national championship as a head coach.

Wait- WHAT?

It's probably a simple answer. Very few head coaches win national championships, and @Ketchum must not think Herman has that kind of ceiling. After two and half years, I agree.

imagine Deshauns numbers if Will Fuller didn’t have such butter fingers.

B/S: Todd Orlando adjusts and begins using a four-man front this year.

That's huge mistake that will get you sent packing. No pressure from the D Line as it sets, huge running lanes for the qb and rb's to rumble over and over isnt the recipe for sucess. Make the damn adjustment or he's gotta go.

A high-level Texas official told me when Herman was hired that if he hadn't win a Big 12 title by year four, it would mean they hired the wrong coach.

Tend to agree

Herman and Sam going 1-4 against ou is bad.......

Reactions: PappaJoel
Enjoyed this Ketch. I do think Herman will make necessary changes that he can in season, and bigger ones if it goes sideways. Interested in seeing what he does change and the results.

Reactions: boernefan
Most of us(including myself) set our expectations for this team based on the highs of last season while ignoring the lows(Maryland, WVU and OSU). The running game is much improved, but the defense is worse overall. I do believe this team can be more consistent this season and win the games they should win, but that’s just hopeful speculatio at this point. We’ll know a little more after we play Baylor and Iowa State.

B.J. Foster - I thought he looked like a shell of the player I know exists inside that No. 25 jersey. Just how banged up is he right now?

Roschon Johnson - The true freshman has 216 yards rushing on 29 carries in the last two weeks, while sophomore Keaontay Ingram has rushed for 27 yards on 13 carries over the same timeframe. The Longhorn coaching staff can't wait until the third quarter this week to get him involved in the offense.

Derek Kerstetter - This makes two weeks in a row that Kerstetter has struggled in handling the players and tactics that opposing teams are throwing his way. Considering teams aren't even really bothering to attack the left side of the Texas line, Kerstetter is simply going to need to improve because the blue-print for going after this line is well-known at this point.

Zach Shackelford - For a senior captain that came into the season as a first-team all-Big 12 player, I just didn't think Shackelford played well enough on Saturday. Whether it was being unable to handle Neville Gallimore in one-on-one situations or recognizing the stunts that Oklahoma was running directly at him, Shackelford's fingerprints were all over the things that went down in the Texas backfield.

No. 6 - If I had a vote that mattered ...

1. LSU
2. Ohio State
3. Alabama
4. Oklahoma
5. Clemson
6. Wisconsin
7. Florida
8. Penn State
9. Georgia
10. Notre Dame

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …
BUY-SELL.gif

(Sell) Coming into this season, one of the things I've liked about Herman as a CEO is his ability to make changes quickly in areas that he needed to make changes. If this season goes sideways, he won't stand pat.

(Buy) You read my mind.

(Buy) I have no evidence to give you to support this belief, but surely the insanity will end.

(Sell) Nah ... Typically, recruitments don't change on a dime because of the outcome of a single game. What happens the rest of the season greatly matters though ...

(Sell) Nah ...

(Sell) It's more than merely scheme. It's talented-related as well.

(Sell) I don't believe that at all.

(Sell) The guys that are missing haven't exactly been tearing it up when healthy.

(Buy) Only DeShon Elliott has been a consensus all-American since 2009, so ... yeah ...

(Buy) Half a decade is enough time to draw some conclusions, but we're still two seasons away from that particular standard.

No. 8 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... Texas Tech was absolutely robbed in Waco. The Big 12 confirmed this on Sunday.

... Will Muschamp picked up the biggest win of his career on Saturday and it changes nothing about where that program is going as far as I can see. Consider that a one-off.

... I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say about the Dallas Cowboys other than I feel slightly stupid for drinking just a bit of the Kool-aid. I was never thinking Super Bowl, but my goodness, I thought the team was better than what we watched on Sunday.

EGs07LJXYAEgE69

10. Hello Walls
9. Night Life
8. Always on my Mind
7. Whiskey River
6. Goodhearted Woman
5. Pancho and Lefty
3. A Song For You
1. Seven Spanish Angels

No. 10 – And Finally ...

EGsG4eVXkAATDav

Would you consider us running the table the rest of the season (10-2) but losing the rematch a failure?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT