ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The SEC move was born from the ashes of TEOT saga)

Looking forward to the content with all the athletes and excited to hear their stories. What a great opportunity NIL has offered us to be better to acquainted with the young men and women who represent our university. Glad y’all are pioneering the way!
re certainly going to try!

@Ketchum where do you think the problem is with recruiting in terms of staff? Is this too big of a job for Brandon Harris? Are coaches like Flood and Banks not living up to expectations? I don't want to lay blame on anyone, but faults in recruiting that go across multiple position groups may point to Harris bring the problem. Was Carrington just much better at communicating and reading the recruits?
I think everyone can do a better job. I have a hard time putting much blame on the support staff beyond the coaching staff.

Ok fair enough. I stand corrected.

but let me ask you this:

1. do you think that because we were in the Big 12 - even though we were going toe-to-toe with the SEC for recruits- that we neither cheated nor needed to cheat?

2. In the 2 weeks that our ascension into the SEC has been news, the bar has suddenly been raised due to this new reality that now we have to cheat?

1. I think everyone lives in the grey area at the very least. That being said, Texas doesn't go the distance.

2. I don't think much has changed in the last two weeks.

Chris Wall was a friend, and a poet. Many great songs including Guns to Shoot, which he never really enjoyed playing (he hated Trashy women). I will miss him.
It paid the bills, though!

No. 6 - If you find yourself bored on Monday ...

Check out this 14-year old recruiting update on Andrew Luck.

Undoubtedly the worst recruiting misstep of Mack's career. So mind-blowingly stupid.

Good article and definitely agree TEOT and Brockermeyer whiffs were the ultimate (non monetary) catalysts for change.

I’ve been extremely impressed with our three key leaders but put me in the camp that CDC is the real genius of the crew…no disrespect intended to others, just more of a statement of what I know about CDC.
CDC will go down as the greatest hire in UT history. His resume is already beginning to demonstrate it.

:oops:

Stated more clearly, you expect me to accept that we have more money than anyone else at the table yet we lose the hand. Bs.

I don't expect you to accept shit. I'm pausing at you pointing the finger at me over areas I don't have control over.

Reactions: JoeUT
@Ketchum
This was mentioned by another poster late last night but too late for you to reply......... IMHO the loss of Carrington
(or someone similar) is part of our recruiting woes. I just don't know how much of the problem. Am I wrong?
I don't think it's a primary reason for the failures.

I'll say this again, The University of Texas is better served by regents that work for The University and are not beholden to the governor that appointed them. (Rick Perry)
They certainly have that now.

Chris Wall was a friend, and a poet. Many great songs including Guns to Shoot, which he never really enjoyed playing (he hated Trashy women). I will miss him.

I've never understood singers that have #1 hits making them tons of money that hate playing the #1 after the fact. Loved Chris' music. He will be missed.

Jay Hartzell was President for less than a month when he started talking about Texas joining the SEC. He has been the driving force in this deal. The EoT incident had zero impact on any of this. Pure fantasy.
Hartzell takes the lead from his boss. He was out in place for a reason. Pure fantasy to believe otherwise.

@Ketchum I believe you have something with your theory that TEOT controversy is a point on the line leading to the SEC. I don’t believe it is the sole cause, but it definitely deserves a spot on the timeline. I hadn’t considered that previously.

So there’s no way a journalist who is paying a player for access to promote his site would slant coverage and opinion in that player’s favor?
It's definitely possible, just like people in this market bend over backwards to protect their admin sources at all costs.

It's our responsibility to navigate tricky waters safely.

Undoubtedly the worst recruiting misstep of Mack's career. So mind-blowingly stupid.

It embarrassing that Luck came to Austin in an effort to get Mack to notice him and Mack waved hello and then ignored him.

Reactions: SVR45
@Ketchum I believe you have something with your theory that TEOT controversy is a point on the line leading to the SEC. I don’t believe it is the sole cause, but it definitely deserves a spot on the timeline. I hadn’t considered that previously.
It's certainly not the sole cause, but there's no ignoring the timing of how things have unfolded.

Reactions: ball911
Well, let's see...

Kevin Eltife became Chairman of the Board of Regents in January 2017. He tells me at the Tyler event we should have moved to the SEC in 2017. Greg Fenves was UT President from 2015 until he unexpectedly announces in April 2020 that he is leaving for Emory University. He is replaced by Jay Hartzell, Dean of the business school.

If you connect the dots, just more evidence of Kevin Eltife's incredible leadership.

Are you under the impression that Emory's search for a new president was like a 1 or 2 week process? And "unexpected" by whom? I mean, I'm fairly certain a university president can't really go through a hiring process at another university w/o his current employer somehow not finding out about it.

It embarrassing that Luck came to Austin in an effort to get Mack to notice him and Mack waved hello and then ignored him.

Just waiting for "he was never coming to Texas" Guy to show.

he told Luck hello and then never bothered to do anything else. Come on, it's funny 14 years later.
@Ketchum, Garrett Gilbert was in the following year’s class, and Coach Brown was all-in on Gilbert. So much so that he did not even try to recruit Andrew Luck. Several years Coach Brown would only take one QB.

Reactions: pringlelake
Are you under the impression that Emory's search for a new president was like a 1 or 2 week process? And "unexpected" by whom? I mean, I'm fairly certain a university president can't really go through a hiring process at another university w/o his current employer somehow not finding out about it.
Fair enough, but when he finds out, your boss can take also say "sounds like a good idea," or "we will do anything to keep you."

I don't think there is any indication that the latter happened.

Reactions: DrHorn98
@Ketchum, Garrett Gilbert was in the following year’s class, and Coach Brown was all-in on Gilbert. So much so that he did not even try to recruit Andrew Luck. Several years Coach Brown would only take one QB.
I know. I was there.

Awesome reference to The Usual Suspects, a great movie.
Question. At one point you say Fenves resigned, and another you say he was bumped out. What is the backstory here?

Awesome reference to The Usual Suspects, a great movie.
Question. At one point you say Fenves resigned, and another you say he was bumped out. What is the backstory here?
I believe in the end it was mutual that a move would be good for everyone.

The university really didn't drag its feet with having Hartzell in place in an interim basis and then he was officially hired very quickly afterwards.

I know. I was there.
I really like Coach Brown and appreciate what he did for the football program. But his approach to recruiting quarterbacks was a head scratcher especially considering we were getting first looks at that time.

Fair enough, but when he finds out, your boss can take also say "sounds like a good idea," or "we will do anything to keep you."

I don't think there is any indication that the latter happened.

The reality is school presidents aren't usually lifers at a school. I also don't think Fenves was looking at Emory to NOT take the job.

I get my info first hand. You don’t. Then when you try to insert the EoT into the formula, you’re just making stuff up, Ketch. There’s fantasy in this thread, but not from my keyboard.

Last edited:
I believe in the end it was mutual that a move would be good for everyone.

The university really didn't drag its feet with having Hartzell in place in an interim basis and then he was officially hired very quickly afterwards.
Thanks. Much appreciated.

ADVERTISEMENT