ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The SEC move was born from the ashes of TEOT saga)

Yeah, Fenves feels like a hidden/missing scapegoat here for a lot of things. Worse hire than Strong or Herman?

The dead guy always gets blamed. Many times it's not terribly accurate. But in revisionist history it's quite convenient.

Yeah, Fenves feels like a hidden/missing scapegoat here for a lot of things. Worse hire than Strong or Herman?
I don't think that's fair.

He wasn't even around for the moment in time that I wrote about.

I am happy for your gut. For the record, I was attempting to provide a little background on what I remember was happening at that time of Andrew’s recruitment.

I understand. I just found it a bit humorous in that @Ketchum literally has at the forefront of Texas recruiting insight for like 20+ years. And the Andrew Luck recruitment f-up has been rehashed about a million times on this board. That's it. Just a little Monday humor.

Geoff, can you make a podcast over all of the mack brown recruiting disasters?

That sounds depressing, ;)

When TX hired Mack, who was their other candidates?

Gary Barnett

I'd say it's Barnett was probably more than just the "other candidate." Dodds wanted him and Barnett came REAL close to being hired. Then DKR pushed for Mack. Of course, he did that after he told Stoops, "thanks but no thanks Junior."

The Andrew Luck f-up literally was so bad that I'm not sure "#2" is even in the same area code.

I don't think that's fair.

He wasn't even around for the moment in time that I wrote about.

But you did say:

For the first time since I began covering the school professionally in 1994, the chairman, the BOR as a whole, the president and athletic director were fully aligned

Eltife and Del Conte have both been around for several years now. Seems like the one “missing piece” to the “full alignment” you describe was the president’s position.

But you did say:

Eltife and Del Conte have both been around for several years now. Seems like the one “missing piece” to the “full alignment” you describe was the president’s position.
It was.

I just don't think I'm scapegoating him on these issues. His view of what was a priority for the university as president was just different than the new crew.

Your knowledge and position must mean your assessment of the impact of NIL on recruiting is right. From afar it is hard to read that recruits at Oregon and Ohio State have signed six figure deals and not conclude we are behind and losing recruits due to NIL.

Your knowledge and position must mean your assessment of the impact of NIL on recruiting is right. From afar it is hard to read that recruits at Oregon and Ohio State have signed six figure deals and not conclude we are behind and losing recruits due to NIL.
I'm talking to lawyers, agents, athletes and compliance officials all day for the last few weeks.

One rep for one of the athletes I spoke with last week told me it was the other schools and not Texas, that were absolute shit shows behind the scenes.

This was someone that has been involved in dozens of NIL deals across the country.

Reactions: dhowerton9939
I don't expect you to accept shit. I'm pausing at you pointing the finger at me over areas I don't have control over.
reread what I wrote and tell me I’m still out of line in calling bs -on the programs lack of being aggressive on implementing NIL. By the way, Saban said his ability which has never started a game is now making 7 figures in NIL. And stop cursing.

Exactly What I was trying to say.

I had not heard of Chris’ passing. You’re right, Chris Wall at The Spoke in the ‘90’s made for some terrific memories.

it was a much later release of his, but I would add So Long I Love You from The El Western Motel Album.
God’s Speed Chris. You’ll be missed.

reread what I wrote and tell me I’m still out of line in calling bs -on the programs lack of being aggressive on implementing NIL. By the way, Saban said his ability which has never started a game is now making 7 figures in NIL. And stop cursing.
I don't believe Saban.

You are out of line.

Exactly What I was trying to say.
Recruits at other schools are not earning six-figure deals yet.

Recruits from the state of Texas can't do NIL deals at this point, unless they give up their eligibility.

ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

Enter Kevin Eltife.

For those keeping score, Eltife was named the new chairman of the Board of Regents on December 20, 2018, but I'm going to argue that it was 22 months later... six months after former Texas president Greg Fenves resigned to take a job at Emory and two months after Texas favorite son Jay Hartzell was selected as the lone finalist to replace him... that the former mayor of Tyler truly emerged as this century's version of legendary UT shot-caller Frank Erwin.
What I was wondering is what role Mr. Eltife will still have when his term on the Regents ends? Obviously he won't have the authority then that he has now in University matters, but I would hope he would still be a big voice in what our policy becomes on into the future.

Recruits at other schools are not earning six-figure deals yet.

Recruits from the state of Texas can't do NIL deals at this point, unless they give up their eligibility.
I don’t understand “recruits from the state of Texas can’t do NIL deals at this point”. I thought you guys just signed several dudes to NIL deals and didn’t Bijan just sign one or two?

A specific example with Banks is that Texas had no idea it was getting the cold shoulder at the end , while the other two were getting zoom calls.

Just because I'm very curious about recruiting in general, I'm guessing the first problem is they didn't have a pulse on the situation in general.

Do you think that is because the coaches recruiting him didn't have experience or got lazy? How would they not recognize that they were getting the cold shoulder? And what would you have done if you did know a recruit was giving you the cold shoulder while he was doing zooms with other programs?

I don't think this was well put together on my part as it is a tricky situation but any insight would be greatly appreciated.

@Ketchum Good stuff this week. Will you have your new baseball reporter by the time fall ball kicks off? That is the official start of the 2021-2022 baseball season after all. :p

Just because I'm very curious about recruiting in general, I'm guessing the first problem is they didn't have a pulse on the situation in general.

Do you think that is because the coaches recruiting him didn't have experience or got lazy? How would they not recognize that they were getting the cold shoulder? And what would you have done if you did know a recruit was giving you the cold shoulder while he was doing zooms with other programs?

I don't think this was well put together on my part as it is a tricky situation but any insight would be greatly appreciated.
I think they just misread the situation. It can happen. In this instance, they were not alone. So were we.

Reactions: LnghrnObsrvtry
@Ketchum Good stuff this week. Will you have your new baseball reporter by the time fall ball kicks off? That is the official start of the 2021-2022 baseball season after all. :p

I'm not sure. When Fall ball starts, we'd have multiple reporters in place if we needed to.

I'm still in the process of a lot of other projects at the same time. I'd be lying if I said it was my No.1 priority at this exact moment.

1. I think it would just be a wild regular thing.

b. Check back in with me tomorrow and tell me how close you were. Keep in mind more are on the way.
Disu was one of my thoughts on the transfer.

you had me stumped with the other two. I thought Worthy was one for sure.

Regarding NIL stuff, I get the feeling that Texas has (most) of their shit together behind the scenes…what I also think his happening is that we don’t have our shit together in terms of how to sell it to recruits to make it happen.

Nobody cares about how the sausage is made, just give them the sausage

Regarding NIL stuff, I get the feeling that Texas has (most) of their shit together behind the scenes…what I also think his happening is that we don’t have our shit together in terms of how to sell it to recruits to make it happen.

Nobody cares about how the sausage is made, just give them the sausage
I don't know if anyone has it completely together. I think Oregon was just saying whatever sounded good because some of the comments from Banks/Williams didn't make sense to me.

Reactions: ModelTFord14
ADVERTISEMENT