ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The stakes for Wednesday night...)

I'd say winning a group with Real Madrid in the Champions League is starting to act like a big boy. They're in a fine position to go add someone like Ross Barkley and Zaha. No one is catching Man City this year anyway.
Paying your players like Sunderland is not acting like a big boy. This isn't about the quality on the pitch. It's about the ambition off of it.

At the start of the year, we all talked about how fired up our team would be for the bowl game this year because most of them hadn't been to a bowl game and the ones that had got boat raced by Arkansas.

Now the bowl game is here and we're not so motivated. OK, maybe it isn't the bowl game we envisioned, but I'm guessing Mizzou probably wishes they were in a more important bowl game too. But somehow it means more to them to win it than it does us.

That my friends, if that is indeed what it looks like on the field tonight, will leave me in my most disappointed state as a Longhorn in my life.

Apathy is worse than losing.

At the start of the year, we all talked about how fired up our team would be for the bowl game this year because most of them hadn't been to a bowl game and the ones that had got boat raced by Arkansas.

Now the bowl game is here and we're not so motivated. OK, maybe it isn't the bowl game we envisioned, but I'm guessing Mizzou probably wishes they were in a more important bowl game too. But somehow it means more to them to win it than it does us.

That my friends, if that is indeed what it looks like on the field tonight, will leave me in my most disappointed state as a Longhorn in my life.

Apathy is worse than losing.
I think the team is motivated. I don't think it has the horses.

Either Texas scrapes out an ugly win or they get blown out. Missouri isn't a great team, but their "want to" is at an all time high. I fear them coming out, popping Texas in the jaw, and Texas wilting without Jefferson, Williams, Hill, and Elliot their to lead the charge. I hope I'm wrong. But, nobody is writing articles about discontent at Mizzou.
I'm rowing in this boat. Missouri is highly motivated. Their DE was quoted as saying they're treating the bowl as a national championship game.

And if we do get rolled, not a good look for our coaching staff. Missouri's coaching staff is in flux (losing their OC & OL to UCF and firing DC earlier this season). You can't tell me their talent is superior to our guys, so coaching would be the primary difference.

The present matters. Not what happened when Kawhi was sitting shotgun on Timmy's team.
And KD didn’t choose to elevate himself by joining a 73-9 team - a team with 3 All-Stars already?

Whatever.

I’m not knocking KD, but you’re comment is completely ridiculous. The Spurs don’t win that 2014 championship without Kawhi - the Finals MVP. They wouldn’t they have won 61 games and advanced to the Western Conference Finals last season without Leonard - who by the way accomplished that without Duncan and a down season from Aldridge.

You’re shortchanging of Leonard is conduct unbecoming as it relates to NBA basketball knowledge.

It’s not a referendum on KD, nor am I saying KL is better necessarily than Durant, but you completely ignoring and not acknowledging KL, who has proven time and again to play LeBron tough and has gotten the better of him multiple times in the regular and postseason is a serious lack of respect and knowledge.

C’mon, man!

Last edited:
BUY or SELL: The quarterback who leads the Longhorns to their next national championship is currently not on campus nor has he signed a national letter of intent.

(Buy) Texas fans really need to stop talking about national titles and focus on getting to 8 or 9 wins first.

Got it. Thx for clarification. I felt that was your intent.

And KD didn’t choose to elevate himself by joining a 73-9 team - a team with 3 All-Stars already?

Whatever.

I’m not knocking KD, but you’re comment is completely ridiculous. The Spurs don’t win that 2014 championship without Kawhi - the Finals MVP. They wouldn’t they have won 61 games and advanced to the Western Conference Finals last season without Leonard - who by the way accomplished that without Duncan and a down season from Aldridge.

You’re shortchanging of Leonard is conduct unbecoming as it relates to NBA basketball knowledge.

It’s not a referendum on KD, nor am I saying KL is better necessarily than Durant, but you completely ignoring and not acknowledging KL, who has proven time and again to play LeBron tough and has gotten the better of him multiple times in the regular and postseason is a serious lack of respect and knowledge.

C’mon, man!
I'm not short-changing Kawhi. The last Kawhi played in a game that matters against LeBron was when? 2014?

I'm not short-changing Kawhi. The last Kawhi played in a game that matters against LeBron was when? 2014?
3-4 years ago is ancient history?

Furthermore,

Should we give KD demerits for getting soundly outplayed by LeBron in the 2012 NBA Finals?

Kawhi has played 2 Finals vs LeBron and so has KD.

Both are 1-1 vs LeBron and both were Finals MVP in their respective wins.

In today's NBA... yes.

The Spurs weren't even his team then, at least not in an official capacity.

I see what you're saying, but that's a weak argument to hold your original point of view. Just because it wasn't his team in the lockeroom doesn't change the point being made. he made it his team and dominated that finals against LeBron.

ask anyone that follows the warriors, its not KD's team. At least not in an official capacity. It's Steph's team and will always be Steph's team as long as he's there.

Reactions: trophies2
In today's NBA... yes.

The Spurs weren't even his team then, at least not in an official capacity.
Are the Warriors KD’s team?

They won a championship without him in 2015.

It’s arguably more Step’s and Draymond’s team.

Draymond is the unquestioned leader of that team.

Sorry, Ketch you can’t outflank me on this argument.

I don't know that I even know what comment you are referencing. When did I make that comment?
Found it in the Dec 15th War Room.
"Also, it's not in the War Room because it's 100-percent speculation, but I am starting to believe that Herman could very well make the change that many of you want him to make on offense. There's just increasing buzz about that prospect behind the scenes."

Last edited:
3-4 years ago is ancient history?

Furthermore,

Should we give KD demerits for getting soundly outplayed by LeBron in the 2012 NBA Finals?

Kawhi has played 2 Finals vs LeBron and so has KD.

Both are 1-1 vs LeBron and both were Finals MVP in their respective wins.

2012 NBA Finals Stats:
Kevin Durant: 30.6 ppg (.548 fg%), 6 trb, 2.2 ast, 1.4 stl, 1 block
Lebron James: 28.6 ppg (.472 fg%, .188 3p%), 10.2 trb 7.4 ast, 1.6 stl 0.4 blocks

2014 NBA Finals Stats:
Kawhi Leonard: 17.8 ppg (.612 fg%), 6.4 trb, 2 ast, 1.6 stl, 1.2 blocks
Lebron James: 28.2 ppg (.571 fg%, .519 3p%) 7.8 trb, 4 ast, 2 stl, 0.4 blocks

Reactions: eyes_of_texasb21
2012 NBA Finals Stats:
Kevin Durant: 30.6 ppg (.548 fg%), 6 trb, 2.2 ast, 1.4 stl, 1 block
Lebron James: 28.6 ppg (.472 fg%, .188 3p%), 10.2 trb 7.4 ast, 1.6 stl 0.4 blocks

2014 NBA Finals Stats:
Kawhi Leonard: 17.8 ppg (.612 fg%), 6.4 trb, 2 ast, 1.6 stl, 1.2 blocks
Lebron James: 28.2 ppg (.571 fg%, .519 3p%) 7.8 trb, 4 ast, 2 stl, 0.4 blocks

you should compare stats when guarded by Kawhi and Durant only. those cumulative stats aren't relevant to supporting either side in this particular debate. especially the individual stats of KD and Kawhi. KD undeniably had the better offensive performance. that's not what's at debate here

you should compare stats when guarded by Kawhi and Durant only. those cumulative stats aren't relevant to supporting either side in this particular debate. especially the individual stats of KD and Kawhi. KD undeniably had the better offensive performance. that's not what's at debate here
I think that Lebron's shooting percentages in each series is interesting, given the credit that Kawhi is given for guarding Lebron.

I see what you're saying, but that's a weak argument to hold your original point of view. Just because it wasn't his team in the lockeroom doesn't change the point being made. he made it his team and dominated that finals against LeBron.

ask anyone that follows the warriors, its not KD's team. At least not in an official capacity. It's Steph's team and will always be Steph's team as long as he's there.
That last point is not really true. KD is the best player on the team, the best scorer, the second best defender and the Finals MVP.

It's his team, he's just respectful about it.

Found it in the Dec 15th War Room.
"Also, it's not in the War Room because it's 100-percent speculation, but I am starting to believe that Herman could very well make the change that many of you want him to make on offense. There's just increasing buzz about that prospect behind the scenes."
I think it has died down some, but the commentary from a high admin source, made it sound possible, enough so that I noted.

I think it would probably need to go bad tonight to make that happen.

I think that Lebron's shooting percentages in each series is interesting, given the credit that Kawhi is given for guarding Lebron.
Durant might be an even better defender than Kawhi, especially when Kawhi has to carry a larger offensive role.

Reactions: NorthDallas-40
That last point is not really true. KD is the best player on the team, the best scorer, the second best defender and the Finals MVP.

It's his team, he's just respectful about it.

Those things are true but that doesn't make it his team. Curry still leads that team. He's the guy in the locker room and on the court. you take KD off that team and they can still win a title. you take curry off of that team and they wouldn't make it out of the west.

Kd takes that team to extreme heights, but Curry is what makes them go. The best player isn't always the teams best leader. It was Curry's team KD joined and even KD said after the finals that he's their leader.

KD winning finals MVP doesn't change that.

ask the warriors fanatic @houstonhorn87

Durant is the better all around player every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I agree with this. I still think Kawhi is the better defender but KD is still so good on that end that when you stack that with his insane offensive prowess that I still think he's the 2nd best player in the game and better than Kawhi. we can revisit in 4 years when Kawhi is his age though.

Those things are true but that doesn't make it his team. Curry still leads that team. He's the guy in the locker room and on the court. you take KD off that team and they can still win a title. you take curry off of that team and they wouldn't make it out of the west.

Kd takes that team to extreme heights, but Curry is what makes them go. The best player isn't always the teams best leader. It was Curry's team KD joined and even KD said after the finals that he's their leader.

KD winning finals MVP doesn't change that.

ask the warriors fanatic @houstonhorn87
I don't have to ask anyone. It's KD's team, it just not something that anyone makes a big deal about.

I agree with this. I still think Kawhi is the better defender but KD is still so good on that end that when you stack that with his insane offensive prowess that I still think he's the 2nd best player in the game and better than Kawhi. we can revisit in 4 years when Kawhi is his age though.
Durant has been a better defender in each of the last two seasons.

I don't have to ask anyone. It's KD's team, it just not something that anyone makes a big deal about.

I guess I'll agree to disagree, my man. it seems obvious that Curry is the leader of that team. Durant may be the best player but it's clear Curry leads them.

Similar to Kawhi. He was the best player and finals MVP but it was still Timmy's team.

Best player does not equal leader. It can't be Durant's team after 1.3 seasons no matter how well he played last summer. The notion that because he got finals MVP and plays like their best player makes it his team is silly.

Durant has been a better defender in each of the last two seasons.

How so? KD defends the rim better and has superior length but Kawhi is the clear superior on ball defender. Dude has almost as many steals as KD has for their careers and he's played 4 fewer years. He also leads them in career playoff steals and steals per game the last 2 years.

You skipped my B/S question on the Horns going 11-7 in conference play. Gun shy on predictions huh?
I'd take 9-9 right now and not think twice.

Texas will be an underdog on the road in every game except Ole miss and maybe isu.

I think it has died down some, but the commentary from a high admin source, made it sound possible, enough so that I noted.

I think it would probably need to go bad tonight to make that happen.
Damn if Herman hasn't seen enough bad play calling and personnel decisions to pull the trigger then Mensa's not all it's cracked up to be. And it's not like he has forever to get this fixed.

You should lead by example - move to a cave and send us pics from time to time - we'll admire your dedication from our climate controlled, well lit homes.
Your daughter keeps begging for me to take her away...maybe I'll take her spelunking.

She loves cave diving and mining for coal...if you know what I mean.

ADVERTISEMENT