ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The three things that won't go away)

... Speaking of Hudson Card, I'm not sure he plays at all this week against the Red Raiders.

Agree. Will be interesting when Sark gets the question today. But honestly, unless it's some huge blowout, the time, at least for now, to tinker at the QB spot is done.

3 songs missing from your list -

Billy Joel - Piano Man
Bob Seger - Turn the Page
Don McLean - American Pie

Reactions: Boxley
I'm less concerned about his experience at this point than I am with the Texas passing game in general, which ranks 91st nationally in passing offense, 66th in the nation in passing yards per completion and 100th in the nation in sacks allowed.
Crystal ball--what do you think our numbers will be at the end of the season? I agree the numbers are bad right now but our horrible outing at Arkansas is really dragging those numbers down since we've only had 3 games. I expect us to get much better as the season goes on.

so nothing that Texas does in September matters in October? Or does the colors Crimson and Cream have magical properties and this logic is a one way street?

I was just talking about OU. They have proven year after year to be different, no?

Reactions: DKinnamon
Not really pretending there aren't issues. The OL is very problematic in pass protection, but Casey Thompson still has a higher passer rating and higher yards per completion this season than preseason Heisman favorite, Spencer Rattler. I know we tend to try to extrapolate current issues with Texas into how it will look against OU or TCU, but with these guys learning and growing in a new offense, we just don't know at this point.
I'm concerned about Texas having issues with the OL, WR and being forced to play against good defenses in a phone booth.

Per your Cowboys evaluation...yes, they got a lot of good breaks. Terrible officiating in that game, especially toward the end when it mattered most. Poor clock management by the Boys too. Lucky to win that one.
better to be lucky sometimes than good.

The passing game appears to be what Sark wants. The running was going ok, so the play calling gave Casey limited passing attempts, but he completed most of what was ask of him. Casey has been rock solid so far. Tech will be a good progression. Should be a step up in defense and offense from Rice. Should be interesting. I think Casey does fine with Tech.
You think Sark has the passing game he wants?

may be more fair to beak stats on passing with just Thompson in at qb vs Card?

As much confidence as Thompson is playing with since replacing Hudson Card, he's still directing a passing offense that is among the worst in the nation in completing passes down the field and struggles to consistently get the ball to its best receivers.
It hasn't really mattered. The passing offense as a whole has the same issues, regardless of who plays quarterback.

Rice was exactly what we needed to test out new schemes and plays and get an extensive look at our depth in a live bullet situation.

I think Sark & PK now know what this team is good at (and not good at) and which players he can count on for conference play.

Glad we get Tech at home instead of a night game in Lubbock which we all know weird crap happens out there. This team needs to build more confidence and reps before the TCU game.
tech feels like a perfect opponent for this weekend.

That's pretty egregious. I could make a case for a couple dozen Beatles songs over Strawberry Fields and that was probably my first favorite Beatles song. A Day in the Life would certainly be atop that list. But I could go with probably 2/3 of Revolver (particularly Tomorrow Never Knows & Eleanor Rigby) without even a fleeting doubt in my mind.

RS has been trending this way for probably 20 years but that list is maybe 20% legit editorial thoughts 30% catering to youth and 50% clickbait.
which selections were clickbait?

10) I love rock n roll- Joan Jett
9) Panama-Van Halen
8) I’m a Believer- Monkees
7) In-a-Gadda-da-vida - Iron Butterfly
6) My Sharona - The Knack
5) Long way home- Boston
4) Smells like Teen Spirit- Nirvana
3) Hell’s Bells - AC/DC
2) Stairway to Heaven- Led Zeppelin
1) Tom Sawyer- Rush
well, THAT is an interesting top 10.

Thanks for answering, Ketch.

Regarding Ja’Tavion possibly being a transfer portal casualty following this season, is it way early for this type of speculation though?

For an elite 5 star athlete to not even make a meaningful appearance nearly a month into the season at a position group that we’re (at the very best) average in both regards (i.e. TE and Dline) suggests one of three things to me: 1) he was overrated as a prospect, 2) there’s a communication breakdown between player and coaching staff, and/or 3) he’s injured.

Strange to write at this point, but I hope it’s #3. Hook’em
I think it's just way too early to think that's definitely on the horizon.

“Meanwhile, while it's true that new starter Casey Thompson won't make his first career road start until the Longhorns head to Fort Worth, I'm less concerned about his experience at this point than I am with the Texas passing game in general, which ranks 91st nationally in passing offense, 66th in the nation in passing yards per completion and 100th in the nation in sacks allowed.”
How was it overdone?

Ketch - Thank you for such great work you do. I generally agree with you 99% of the time. But, criticizing the passing game after Rice is off the mark. We took what the defense gave us - rushing yards. We got Xavier involved; we had a TD to a tight end. Now teams have to really worry about our passing to Bijan, JWitt, Xavier, TE’s. Plus, Casey had an excellent QBR. In this case, I think you need to get out of the “fog” of your national statistical analysis. Step back, look at the game. Of course - time will tell. I think Sark is showing just enough passing to G. Patterson and L. Riley - enough to challenge their defenses Given Sark’s track record, my hunch is that he has more passing game which he is not showing. I know - we cannot overlook TTech, got it. But, this is about Oct 2 and Oct 9. On Sunday October 10th, I will be checking the W-L record, not so much the National passing stats.

Texas' passing game lacks consistent playmakers, quality depth at receiver and can't get the ball downfield through three games.

Reactions: SR60 and DKinnamon
As someone who was there, “A Change Is Gonna Come” was a minor hit and wasn’t even considered a top 10 song of the ‘60s. If you want to talk about immediate social impact at the time, the Fifth Dimension’s cover of Laura Nyro’s “Save The Country” blows that away. Labeling any list of songs as the “ten greatest songs of all time” is a fool’s errand because it’s really just a list of the author’s “ten favorite songs of the moment” and often for unstated reasons that may have nothing to do with their musical merit.
k.

I've been a bit surprised from the jump that Karic wasn't in the starting line-up. He looked pretty salty late last season at LT. I don't get Kerstetter at tackle. He's not terribly good at any of the 3 positions "he can play" but tackle is certainly his worst.
agreed

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT