ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The three things that won't go away)

It's not. It has to do with so much of the offense in the passing game occurring within about a 5-10 yard box of the line of scrimmage,
And you don’t think that is because a 5 yard pass play can be executed quicker than a 50 yard strike downfield? I’m confused. I’m thinking that Sark knows the OL simply cant hold up long enough to support anything but the quick stuff in your 5-10 yard box.

And you don’t think that is because a 5 yard pass play can be executed quicker than a 50 yard strike downfield? I’m confused. I’m thinking that Sark knows the OL simply cant hold up long enough to support anything but the quick stuff in your 5-10 yard box.
It's about making the field big for defenses to defend. When you play in a phone booth, good coaches and defenses can and will use that against you.

Reactions: DKinnamon
who is No.3 that he would have to topple in your mind?
Geoff, excellent thought provoking question. While Roy and Shipley are clearly the guys who have done the most, had many seasons of excellence, there are a bunch in the next group who had outstanding seasons (1 or 2) in the next tier.

I don't think he'll have the impact of many of them. Hope I'm wrong, but right now I'd buy the careers of Quan Cosby or Mike Adams over Worthy. Duvernay and Humphrey were outstanding. I can't quite understand why it took so long for Texas to figure out what they had in Duvernay, but he was outstanding.

Geoff, excellent thought provoking question. While Roy and Shipley are clearly the guys who have done the most, had many seasons of excellence, there are a bunch in the next group who had outstanding seasons (1 or 2) in the next tier.

I don't think he'll have the impact of many of them. Hope I'm wrong, but right now I'd buy the careers of Quan Cosby or Mike Adams over Worthy. Duvernay and Humphrey were outstanding. I can't quite understand why it took so long for Texas to figure out what they had in Duvernay, but he was outstanding.
I agree! I'm sop glad this discussion broke out. I think he can have a.better career than Adams and Cosby. Only Adams among this group was doing what Worthy is doing as a freshman. It will come down to what his ceiling ends up being. He'll have Adams like numbers as a floor IMO.

I agree! I'm sop glad this discussion broke out. I think he can have a.better career than Adams and Cosby. Only Adams among this group was doing what Worthy is doing as a freshman. It will come down to what his ceiling ends up being. He'll have Adams like numbers as a floor IMO.
And I'll never forget many on this board used to argue that Sweed had a better career than Roy. I think time has taken care of that nonsense, but he was really good as well.

And I'll never forget many on this board used to argue that Sweed had a better career than Roy. I think time has taken care of that nonsense, but he was really good as well.
no doubt. I couldn't look someone in the eye that thought Sweed was better than Roy. His trophy collection is better, though.

It's about making the field big for defenses to defend. When you play in a phone booth, good coaches and defenses can and will use that against you.
Is it a Catch 22 when you have to have 2 RBs or 2 TE on a pass play for protection because you've pulled two more defenders into the box. Side note how did the Air Raid teams at Okie St, Texas Tech, and Baylor work when their lines weren't that great also with the spacing?

Is it a Catch 22 when you have to have 2 RBs or 2 TE on a pass play for protection because you've pulled two more defenders into the box. Side note how did the Air Raid teams at Okie St, Texas Tech, and Baylor work when their lines weren't that great also with the spacing?

Which teams are you specifically thinking of?>

too early to say

very much too early. a lot can happen .. Card should wait and see. first, Thompson could struggle and Card gets another chance. also, while i hope not, Thompson could get hurt and Card then gets another chance. then Sark might face another tough call .. if Card plays well does he go back to Thompson when he's healthy or stay with his guy Card? as long as Thompson was playing solid ball i say you give it back to Thompson.

if Thompson does not struggle or get hurt this season, then Card has a hard call to make, at the end of the season. does he go? maybe .. maybe not. where he goes matters. also, if Sark does get off to a good start, let's say 9-3 then a bowl win to go 10-3 is he better off waiting .. like Thompson did .. to get one strong year as the starter at a program on the rise?

It's not. It has to do with so much of the offense in the passing game occurring within about a 5-10 yard box of the line of scrimmage,

exactly. the offensive line is limiting the vertical passing game, they can't yet give the time required blocking to allow the receivers to get deep.

Quan Cosby was a great slot receiver. he made a great break out route to catch the winning TD pass from Colt in the Ohio State Bowl game. this was also a coming of age game for Colt, the rematch with Ohio State at Austin his first year as a starter. that was really too much at that time for him to win that game. we all know if should have been Vince in that game and we probably win it with Vince but as the second game of Colt's first year to start it was too much to ask for him to take that game on his shoulders to win.

it wasn't two years later in the Ohio State Bowl game.

let's watch that again shall we?

That would be great. How do you get out of the phone booth if your QB has three DLs in his face 1.5 seconds after the snap?

Is the problem Offensive play scheme, or poor OL play?
I think it's a lot of things wrapped into one,

I think it's a lot of things wrapped into one,
Yeah. I’m happy about Rice, but, it was Rice. We’re gonna learn a lot this weekend, and more the next. One thing that is bothering me, is my 8-4 prediction for the season assumed wins over WV and K St. With the way they are playing, we could easily lose one of those. I’m starting to think 8-4 is more of a top end than an over and under. We REALLY need to see OL improvement this weekend.

Agreed on WR3 being pretty wide open…meaning it’s not nearly as big of a reach to say Worthy could be wind up there.
As I go through past receivers, these come to mind for me (without looking at stats):
- Mike Adams
-Kwame Cavil
- Quan Cosby
- Limas Sweed

Mike and Kwame had more playmaking ability after the catch. Quan was consistent and a go to…more of a mini Shipley if you will.
Limas could make some acrobatic catches (perhaps a mini Roy but with far less speed and playmaking abilities as Roy)…his catch at Ohio State is top 5 catch of all time.

Sadly I think Duvernay was completely under-utilized most of his career here. He had the Quan go to consistency/reliability aspect (and then some…not sure he dropped more than one ball here) and his speed was freakishly fast…he was wasted talent while here and likely someone who should have finished his UT career as “the #3.”

All this WR thought leads me to conclude that this position is likely our least attractive position from an “all-time greatest” position breakdown.

I really like Whittington a lot. Worthy too.
If our OL can protect with more consistency (for 3-4 more seconds at least) both of those guys could be some difference makers for us.

He has to trust that Casey can do things in games that don't appear in practices.
After reading about Thompson’s study habits, I believe he uses practice time as another preparation tool not to ball out in practice but when the lights come on…to add, do we know Card’s time spent away from games such as developing into a leader and study routine of his own?

ADVERTISEMENT