ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The time Eric Bieniemy almost kicked my ass ...)

Ain't that the truth. One name that immediately jumps into my head is Rae Carruth.

I always find it interesting when considering the bunch of thugs those teams had, McCartney hangs with Promise Keepers like he's some kinda prophet.
McCartney is a nut.

Reactions: AEB1989
Do yourself a favor and watch Heat when you're on vacation. DeNiro in peak DeNiro mode.

Solid list. For your consideration....

Kevin Kline as Otto in A Fish Called Wanda

Brad Pit as Mickey in Snatch
Mickey-ONeil-Snatch-Brad-Pitt-e.jpg
Pitt killed me in that movie!

I think Affleck was better on The Town.
Jeremy Renner was flat out scary in the scene where he tells Affleck chaaracter he can't leave or get out. Reminded me of a couple of guys in high school that are still incarcerated. Still make my skin crawl.

Reactions: PaulieD

No. 9 - The List: Best Movie Heist Characters ...

Went to the movies this weekend to see Ocean's Eight with my wife (solid 3 out of 5 stars) and thought this might make for an interesting discussion.

Below is my own personal list of the best Movie Heist Characters of all-time, based only on movies that I have actually seen. My only rule is that the character involved has to be the criminal and not a law enforcement character (Bruce Willis in Die Hard), although law enforcement characters who help commit crimes are eligible (Keanu Reeves in Point Break).

Let's not waste any more time.

10. Dalton (Clive Owen) in Inside Man

I don't know how many lists other than my own this character would make, but I have a secret crush on this movie and stop to watch it whenever it's on. Special points for calling his shot on walking out of the bank like a baller and then slipping Denzel Washington's character one of the Nazi diamonds.

9. Fred Fenster (Benicio Del Toro) in The Usual Suspects
benicio_del_toro.0.gif

I can't understand what the hell he's saying most of the time, but that's part of the charm. Del Toro's breakout role.

8. Willie (Billy Bob Thornton) in Bad Santa

Super guilty pleasure. I laugh at all of his terrible moments.

7. Bodhi (Patrick Swayze) in Point Break

I wouldn't put Point Break in a top 10 Heist Movies list, but Bodhi makes the cut as one of the best characters of the genre.

6. Mr. Blonde (Michael Madson) in Reservoir Dogs

"Stuck in the Middle With You" has never been the same song.

4T Henry Gondorff (Paul Newman) and Johnny Hooker (Robert Redford) in The Sting

I probably spent an hour on Sunday trying to decide between the two performances and I just couldn't make a determination.

3. Sonny (Al Pacino) in Dog Day Afternoon
giphy.gif

In a career of producing emphatic characters performance, this might actually be the most underrated performance of his career.

2. Keyser Söze (Kevin Spacey) in The Usual Suspects

Initially, I thought he would finish in the top spot, but then I got to thinking...

1. Hans Gruber (Alan Rickman) in Die Hard

And it's not even close.
I love Inside Man. Great movie featuring an acting battle between an All-Timer and Clive Owen in his prime.

Have you seen "The Sting" with Robert Redford and Paul Newman? I think either of those two would make your top 5 with ease.

Stop with the Tim Beck crap! If Tom Herman is as good of a coach as most of us believe, then if he felt it was needed, Tim would have been gone. Sit back, relax, and leave the driving to the best coach in college football!. Hook em!

Jeremy Renner was flat out scary in the scene where he tells Affleck chaaracter he can't leave or get out. Reminded me of a couple of guys in high school that are still incarcerated. Still make my skin crawl.
Renner had that tough guy with nothing to lose look - very disturbing.

Reactions: EG-man
I love Inside Man. Great movie featuring an acting battle between an All-Timer and Clive Owen in his prime.

Have you seen "The Sting" with Robert Redford and Paul Newman? I think either of those two would make your top 5 with ease.
Agreed. Well make Spike movie.

Re: Bienemy: That is one reason I like college football better than the NFL. The NFL is perfectly willing to allow the worst sort of thugs participate (Ray Lewis, Bienemy, Winston) so long as allowing them to play doesn't embarrass the NFL (see Ray Rice story - Ray's action were overlooked until the video came out, at which point the NFL ended his career). In college football, most teams not named FSU, BU or OSU) will kick the dangerous thugs off the team.

Reactions: PaulieD
Re: Bienemy: That is one reason I like college football better than the NFL. The NFL is perfectly willing to allow the worst sort of thugs participate (Ray Lewis, Bienemy, Winston) so long as allowing them to play doesn't embarrass the NFL (see Ray Rice story - Ray's action were overlooked until the video came out, at which point the NFL ended his career). In college football, most teams not named FSU, BU or OSU) will kick the dangerous thugs off the team.
You think college football is much different?

Did you see what happened in Waco?

Reactions: Never Nuff Horns
Ain't that the truth. One name that immediately jumps into my head is Rae Carruth.

I always find it interesting when considering the bunch of thugs those teams had, McCartney hangs with Promise Keepers like he's some kinda prophet.
Here's a Sports Illustrated article from 1989 on Colorado when Bieniemy was there. Les Miles was the recruiting coordinator for McCartney for some of these guys
https://www.si.com/vault/1989/02/27...y-criminal-behavior-among-the-buffalo-players

1. Assuming you are coming in from I-37, I would strongly suggest you stop in at the Chicken Shack on the way in. If not, find a way to drive back out there (less than 20 minutes from where you will b).
2. Vernon's is a dive bar literally just 3 blocks straight up Buford St. from your hotel. Buford is the road that intersects Ocean Dr. at the hotel. Great place to drink.
3. Not sure what kind of dinner eats you want, but if you want something a bit high end and real damn good, then Vietnam Restaurant on Water St. Water St. Oyster Bar is solid but it ain't Vietnam Restaurant. Water St. Oyster Bar does has a solid sushi bar.
4. If you want the best breakfast tacos you've ever had, I suggest going Taqueria Acapulco at Airline/McArdle. About 10 minutes from the hotel. Head south on Ocean Drive, right on Airline.

thanks

Reactions: RLong68
You think college football is much different?

Did you see what happened in Waco?
I did see what happened in Waco which is why I listed BU in there with FSU and OSU. Overall, I think the NFL is more accepting of thugs that most universities. There are a few universities that are willing to sell their souls for success (and I hope A&M isn't joining that list), but I think most of the major programs are worried about their reputations and are more willing to self police than NFL teams. The NFL has a long history of looking the other way as an institution (unless they are caught with their pants down as they were with Ray Rice). The thing that gets me the most is the way many NFL coaches and teams (and ESPN) will ignore a particular player's past as if it never existed if that player can play ball. Ray Lewis got Superbowl MVP the very year he was at least tangentially involved in a murder. He should not have been playing.

You don't really believe this.
Yeah your right got carried away with the sugar rush. I do believe he is in the top ten maybe top 5 and has a plan to win championships. Are you saying you don’t believe?

Third best.

Blasphemy...let me count the ways:

1. Surfer....cool
2. College football fan (knows Johnny Utah played for Ohio St.)....cool
3. Robs banks with President masks....cool
4. Bags hot chicks....cool
5. Skydives....cool
6. Awesome philosophical quotes....cool
7. Lights gas station up with flaming gas nozzle....cool
8. Beats the shit out of Red Hot Chili Pepper....cool
9. Part of top notch chase scene with Keanu....cool
10. Part of awesome skydive chase scene with Keanu....cool
11. Rides biggest wave in history to his death....cool

Nothing tops Bohdi as arguably the coolest character of all time and Swayze’s best.

Reactions: PabloDeTejas
I did see what happened in Waco which is why I listed BU in there with FSU and OSU. Overall, I think the NFL is more accepting of thugs that most universities. There are a few universities that are willing to sell their souls for success (and I hope A&M isn't joining that list), but I think most of the major programs are worried about their reputations and are more willing to self police than NFL teams. The NFL has a long history of looking the other way as an institution (unless they are caught with their pants down as they were with Ray Rice). The thing that gets me the most is the way many NFL coaches and teams (and ESPN) will ignore a particular player's past as if it never existed if that player can play ball. Ray Lewis got Superbowl MVP the very year he was at least tangentially involved in a murder. He should not have been playing.
I think it's slightly naive to think that college football is on a safer plane.

Blasphemy...let me count the ways:

1. Surfer....cool
2. College football fan (knows Johnny Utah played for Ohio St.)....cool
3. Robs banks with President masks....cool
4. Bags hot chicks....cool
5. Skydives....cool
6. Awesome philosophical quotes....cool
7. Lights gas station up with flaming gas nozzle....cool
8. Beats the shit out of Red Hot Chili Pepper....cool
9. Part of top notch chase scene with Keanu....cool
10. Part of awesome skydive chase scene with Keanu....cool
11. Rides biggest wave in history to his death....cool

Nothing tops Bohdi as arguably the coolest character of all time and Swayze’s best.

Johnny Castle in Dirty Dancing is his most iconic character. Ask any woman and they are not bringing up Point Break.

As a big Swayze fan, I would contend that Dalton in Road House is his second-most iconic role.

Johnny Castle in Dirty Dancing is his most iconic character. Ask any woman and they are not bringing up Point Break.

As a big Swayze fan, I would contend that Dalton in Road House is his second-most iconic role.

I didn’t say iconic...that’s defintely Ghost and Dirty Dancing, but his characters in those movies don’t hold a candle to Bohdi in the coolness factor...those are female fantasy characters. I’m a guy. Road House is a terrible movie but classic for its terribleness. Swayze’s character was a badass like Bohdi but wasn’t a bank robbing adrenaline junkie...edge Bohdi in my book. We’ll have to agree to disagree about the definition of best.

BUY or SELL: Kawhi becomes a Sixer?

(Buy) The decisions the Sixers made on draft night told me they are about to come strong with a package. Moving him out East and to someone with a Spurs pedigree makes a lot of sense. I think we're going to see a trade that looks something like this:

Sixers receive Kawhi Leonard

Spurs receiver: Robert Covington, Markelle Fultz, Zhaire Smith, the 2021 Miami first round pick and maybe another first round pick.

That gives them a very good wing starter on a great contract, last year's overall No. 1, a poor man's Leonard starter-kit and a potential mega-watt non-protected pick in a draft that might include high school kids.

I didn’t say iconic...that’s defintely Ghost and Dirty Dancing, but his characters in those movies don’t hold a candle to Bohdi in the coolness factor...those are female fantasy characters. I’m a guy. Road House is a terrible movie but classic for its terribleness. Swayze’s character was a badass like Bohdi but wasn’t a bank robbing adrenaline junkie...edge Bohdi in my book. We’ll have to agree to disagree about the definition of best.
Isn't Point Break a terrible movie known for its terribleness?

They are great bad movies.

ADVERTISEMENT