ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The truth may hurt, but it's the truth)

Oregon came in to Texas and took our LT of the future (Banks) and our RT of the future (Williams) .
I can see OU or the ags doing this but Oregon ?
Getting 1 of the 2 for Oregon would not raise an eyebrow but both ?
Anyone else find this a little mind boggling ?
Is the answer great facilities and an OL Guru as a head coach ?
Is the Oregon NIL in play here ?
I don't believe both will stick with Oregon , however, they are both committed.
Is the Oregon NIL in play here ? Bingo !!! Can you spell Nike ?

What a freaking downer. Have to ask myself why I pay to be continuously bombarded with this level of negativity.
You should try paying $3,500 per seat donation for the crap sandwich Mack, CFS and Turtle Tom have been serving up for the last ten years. We’re NOT back. Only Urban Meyer could have turned this thing on a dime. Didn’t happen. Not back. It’s that simple. Unless we’re willing to play to win (ala SEC, Oregon), we’ll never be great again.

Never seen it, even though I own it.

5fiqqk.jpg

Reactions: cammac88
You read Texas would set a standard with NIL.

Not once (that I can remember) have I speculated on how that would impact recruiting because it's a total unknown. It's always been an open-ended scenario,.

That stick wasn’t pointed at the mods

Reactions: stevenspaul1357
The actual facts (message) are that a couple of O-line recruits that you believed were going to choose Texas, chose to "commit" to Oregon and Ohio State reached in and took another highly ranked player from the state (what else is new).

Your speculations are that Sark is not getting the benefit of a doubt from recruits that Strong and Herman got; Sark is going to have to win big and beat OU this year to turn this around; Sark has to win 10+ games this year to get the attention of elite recruits; Texas is not likely to end up with a top 5 recruiting class (even though it was pure speculation to begin with that they were on the path to getting such a class).

Keep in mind that all of these speculations could be as wrong as your initial belief that Texas had a lock on these players. What if issues like the TEOT fiasco or the 6th street shooting are playing a bigger role in these decisions than we've allowed ourselves to believe. As the parent of a young Black man who is just a few years older than most of these guys being recruited, those incidents/issues certainly would have not have been ignored in our decision about where my son would attend college.

Also, a quick check of the actual Rivals history reveals that Strong didn't even have a single class finish in the Rivals Top 10 in his entire short lived tenure as head coach at Texas and had only one player ranked as the elite of the elite (Malik Jefferson) in his first full class. So it's not exactly clear that he got "the benefit of a doubt" at that time.

Thanks for the post. All me to respond in full.

a. Your first paragraph is pretty spot on.

b. Your second paragraph is not. I'm not speculating about benefit of the doubt. I'm reporting on what is happening in front of our eyes. Texas currently has one kid in the Rivals Top 25 for the Lone Star State. OOS elite guys aren't jumping on board. That's not speculation. That's acknowledging what is happening.

c. I never said Texas had a lock on any of these guys. That simply is not true. We were the only ones in the market that didn't use that language with Banks.

d. Those issues you mentioned could be issues, but they aren't really being mentioned much behind the scenes.

e. Charlie went 6-7 and went on a closing flurry after his first year. Believe me, he got benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: DKinnamon
The Patriot didn’t make the list of Top Ten Patriotic movies??? My wife just said it would be number one and I agreed. Not even on the list??

It was close. Is it really remembered in this kind of way? I've never heard anyone talk about it in this breath.

It was close. Is it really remembered in this kind of way? I've never heard anyone talk about it in this breath.

Yeah, I'm not understanding all this love for "The Patriot". It was a movie I had high anticipation for, but was thoroughly disappointed in. Just standard Hollywood fare, couple of nonsensical plot points, nothing special about it. This column is the first time I've heard anyone mention it in the last 20 years (it is the Mel Gibson movie everybody is referring to, right? Maybe it's another "The Patriot" that I'm not aware of).

Reactions: stevenspaul1357
what movies are you bumping out?

For me, bumping Independece Day is an easy call. It's a good flick but I'm not sure I'd put it in my top ten all time patriotic movies. The second is more difficult to move but I'd bump Casablanca.

Yeah, I'm not understanding all this love for "The Patriot". It was a movie I had high anticipation for, but was thoroughly disappointed in. Just standard Hollywood fare, couple of nonsensical plot points, nothing special about it. This column is the first time I've heard anyone mention it in the last 20 years (it is the Mel Gibson movie everybody is referring to, right? Maybe it's another "The Patriot" that I'm not aware of).
I always think of it as a low-key good Heath Ledger movie. I've watched it a bunch because of its cable run, but it never really gets me in the feelings.

For me, bumping Independece Day is an easy call. It's a good flick but I'm not sure I'd put it in my top ten all time patriotic movies. The second is more difficult to move but I'd bump Casablanca.
CASABLANCA!!!!!!!!

It's only the best movie of all-time and the entire theme of the movie is a guy with no real moral code giving up his dreams with the love of his life for the greater good of the world.

Rick was an American that didn't give a ****... until he had to because of something that required a moral code meant for the times it was needed in.

It was a metaphor for the entire country in World War II.

I'll fight you on this hot take!

The thing is... every new Texas and Texas A&M has received a benefit of the doubt with top recruits for the most part in year one of recruiting,... except Sark.
Is that cause of Sark? Or 10 years of a sh*t product?

At this point it is not hard to imagine that these young men, wanting the best for their future, don't just make decisions without some proof. Who makes a career decision based on their favorite brand compared to the company most likely to support and grow their career. In the end, Sark and the other coaches can deliver wins and NFL players or they can't.

The Hell for UT fans is we are tired of waiting for results. Yet, we will have to wait. College football is going to be pre-pro ball. Unless the playoffs expand and the NCAA can adjust to the current reality, there will continue to be 4-6 elite teams that will get most of the talent.

CASABLANCA!!!!!!!!

It's only the best movie of all-time and the entire theme of the movie is a guy with no real moral code giving up his dreams with the love of his life for the greater good of the world.

Rick was an American that didn't give a ****... until he had to because of something that required a moral code meant for the times it was needed in.

It was a metaphor for the entire country in World War II.

I'll fight you on this hot take!

Maybe I need to watch it again. Truth be told I've only seen it once and it was when I was in Junior High which was back in the 80's.

At this point it is not hard to imagine that these young men, wanting the best for their future, don't just make decisions without some proof. Who makes a career decision based on their favorite brand compared to the company most likely to support and grow their career. In the end, Sark and the other coaches can deliver wins and NFL players or they can't.

The Hell for UT fans is we are tired of waiting for results. Yet, we will have to wait. College football is going to be pre-pro ball. Unless the playoffs expand and the NCAA can adjust to the current reality, there will continue to be 4-6 elite teams that will get most of the talent.
I'd give you two likes if I could.

I don’t get the Hudson Card hype considering he might not be on the team in September. I’m assuming Sark is going to announce Thompson as the starter a week or two before the first game.
Where have you been?

@Ketchum since you don’t believe that Banks is going to sign with Oregon, would we have a legit shot at changing his mind before NSD?

Hope not - I just rented it on Prime and am about to watch it. Will report back in a few hours. Time to see if Uncle Ketch knows what the hell he is talking about.
I have zero concerns. Bogart will deliver.

ADVERTISEMENT