ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The truth may hurt, but it's the truth)

Losing players to Bama or even OU, I would then agree; it is about Texas proven to that type of player. But losing someone to Oregon I'm not sure about Texas on the field performance. IOWs, its not like Oregon has been crushing it on the field lately. I don't know Oregon's results in terms of putting players in the NFL but I'd be a little surprised also if Oregon is putting a materially larger share of players than us in the league.

Reactions: DKinnamon
If he’s a 5 star talent why would he wait year(s) behind Thompson? I get that you are predicting he eventually takes over, but I see him thinking he can start for a different team and heads to the portal.
Thompson is draft eligible. If Sark and him catch lightning in a bottle could be one and done. No way I see Thompson spending the 3 years he has remaining on campus.

Oregon is a national program that has played in the national title game twice since Texas was last in it, It has won 5 conference titles since Texas last won one.
Ok, but they have had 1 ten win season in the last 6, same as Texas, and have been the definition of average for those last 6 years, with a coach who has nothing to do with the majority of the credentials you mentioned. It’s just not appreciably better that Texas in the same stretch, which is arguably the college football consciousness of these recruits. It still doesn’t make sense to me, at least in the context of us getting beat for a recruit by a national power that has proven it on the field.

Ok, but they have had 1 ten win season in the last 6, same as Texas, and have been the definition of average for those last 6 years, with a coach who has nothing to do with the majority of the credentials you mentioned. It’s just not appreciably better that Texas in the same stretch, which is arguably the college football consciousness of these recruits. It still doesn’t make sense to me, at least in the context of us getting beat for a recruit by a national power that has proven it on the field.
There’s always the possibility that Banks is just a different dude. He was committed to okie state extremely early because he just like the coaches.

I don't know what you want me to tell you. You're asking me to explain a very unique situation.

Bad-ass quarterback play is the great equalizer.
True, the bad thing about that is though is bad-ass quarterback play usually goes pro after 10+ win seasons, then there's usually a regression to mean. Sark is really going to have to have back to back, maybe even back to back to back bad-ass quarterback play to right the ship. On the bright side, there's one guy to do that, Sark seems to be one of two coaches that can really get that done.

True, the bad thing about that is though is bad-ass quarterback play usually goes pro after 10+ win seasons, then there's usually a regression to mean. Sark is really going to have to have back to back, maybe even back to back to back bad-ass quarterback play to right the ship. On the bright side, there's one guy to do that, Sark seems to be one of two coaches that can really get that done.
Thompson, Card, & Maalik

The thing is... every new Texas and Texas A&M has received a benefit of the doubt with top recruits for the most part in year one of recruiting,... except Sark.
That's a fair point, though Herman also struggled from the start on the lines.

At this point, though, we've been such a disappointment in such a struggling conference for so long that only an elite hire had a strong chance of turning that around from the start. We got a good hire instead, which means we have to prove it in the AD and on the field before most top-tier recruits will truly commit to us. And with this brutal schedule, that'll be tough.

Whereas A&M is in the SEC, and they hired a national-title-winning coach.

At this point it is not hard to imagine that these young men, wanting the best for their future, don't just make decisions without some proof. Who makes a career decision based on their favorite brand compared to the company most likely to support and grow their career. In the end, Sark and the other coaches can deliver wins and NFL players or they can't.

The Hell for UT fans is we are tired of waiting for results. Yet, we will have to wait. College football is going to be pre-pro ball. Unless the playoffs expand and the NCAA can adjust to the current reality, there will continue to be 4-6 elite teams that will get most of the talent.
Who does? The most successful people, you'll never be ahead of the curve if you wait for proof. Fortunately for recruits, this doesn't apply as much for them.

Yup,.

I think either of the two guys ion campus is good for at least 2 seasons.

Long, long time Texas fan here. Can’t blame top players for going elsewhere. Why aren’t we talking more about the good players already in the program instead of shiny new recruits saving the world? Texas has a track record of promising recruits the world, then they don't see a lot of playing time here or they are not developed to their potential. As soon as they are in the fold the talk begins about someone better replacing them. Why the hell would a great player come here? Those are the cold facts. Texas first needs to keep, develop and win with what they have now. No more excuses.

I was thinking Jalen Green. Did not realize he transferred. Watched the 2020 game against OSU recently and noted he was not great except for an interception on a poorly thrown ball. Had him on my mind.

Reactions: Buddah318
Texas isn’t winning 10 games this year. Are you crazy? Sounds like we will need another coach soon.

Long, long time Texas fan here. Can’t blame top players for going elsewhere. Why aren’t we talking more about the good players already in the program instead of shiny new recruits saving the world? Texas has a track record of promising recruits the world, then they don't see a lot of playing time here or they are not developed to their potential. As soon as they are in the fold the talk begins about someone better replacing them. Why the hell would a great player come here? Those are the cold facts. Texas first needs to keep, develop and win with what they have now. No more excuses.

Because we are all obsessed. ;)

That's a fair point, though Herman also struggled from the start on the lines.

At this point, though, we've been such a disappointment in such a struggling conference for so long that only an elite hire had a strong chance of turning that around from the start. We got a good hire instead, which means we have to prove it in the AD and on the field before most top-tier recruits will truly commit to us. And with this brutal schedule, that'll be tough.

Whereas A&M is in the SEC, and they hired a national-title-winning coach.

I will give this to aggy. They will make big hires in football. If we’re being honest, going back 50 years, their hires of Sherrill and Fisher were FAR bigger than either hire we made in football. And yes, that includes Mack. And frankly, one can make a decent argument Fran’s hiring was on the same level of Mack.

I will give this to aggy. They will make big hires in football. If we’re being honest, going back 50 years, their hires of Sherrill and Fisher were FAR bigger than either hire we made in football. And yes, that includes Mack. And frankly, one can make a decent argument Fran’s hiring was on the same level of Mack.
Yup.

The o/u for wins IMO is 8.5.
If they win the first two in September I like our chances at 9 with a slim chance at the Big 12 title game. Winning atleast one of OU/Iowa st would be huge for Sark.

Ironically one can argue Chris Beard was our biggest AD hire over the same period over the big 3 sports. At best Mack is only 3rd behind Beard/Augie
I'd rank Augie No.1, but if we drop baseball out because it's not really a revenue sport... it's Beard.

Reactions: SVR45 and RLong68
I'd rank Augie No.1, but if we drop baseball out because it's not really a revenue sport... it's Beard.

I give the nod for Beard appreciably for that reason. I also think hiring Beard away from Tech was such a monumental task on many levels. The amount of money it took no to mention he was an intra-conference hire which is simply just rare. No disrespect to Augie but he was paid relative peanuts at Fullerton. Heck, I didn't even known this before until just now, but Augie leaving for Texas was the SECOND time he left Fullerton. The first being for Illinois. So hiring him from Fullerton was certainly not a difficult one.

Has to be OU IMO. I'm not sure anyone really gives a damn about Iowa State... shiny ranking or not.

Agreed. He has to beat OU. Even if it's like Mensa's second year where we beat them in the regular season then lose in the Big 12 title game. Sark needs a one in year 1 over OU. Quite frankly, this season has little room for error. Getting 10 wins is huge. Might not seem much more than say, getting 9, but getting double digit wins is tremendous for purposes of MAYBE flipping some '22 guys but certainly for purposes of being in the thick of it for '23 guys.

Maybe I need to watch it again. Truth be told I've only seen it once and it was when I was in Junior High which was back in the 80's.
Casablanca for decades was the only movie with A+++ dialogue.

Reactions: txfight
ADVERTISEMENT