ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (There's no reason to fear OU in 2020...)

Rattler was a 5-star, which means there's a 50-50 chance he ends up in the NFL? We think highly of Riley as a coach. On paper, you're correct. However, I'm not willing to say Texas has a serious edge at QB until Riley actually endures a rebuilding year at the position.
I think Rattler will eventually be a Heisman finalist.

However, in a year where he's just a redshirt freshman and Texas has a borderline top 5 quarterback in its history going into his senior year... I'll give the edge to Ehlinger.

If we're going Rattler's freshman season vs. Ehlinger's freshman season, and then on down the line, Rattler has the edge in each year.

But, this isn't apples to apples.

It's senior Ehlinger vs. freshman Rattler.

If it can't be done in that kind of circumstance, I suppose it just c an't get done... cause Rattler is going to beast out in 2021 and 2022.

Barring a bite from the injury bug, Texas should win the Big 12 this year if this coaching staff is what we think they are.

Reactions: boernefan
Similarly, if it's senior Sam Bradford vs freshman Vince Young, I would have taken Bradford all day.

Speaking of Shannen Doherty, anyone watching Fox Business may recognize Melissa Francis from Little House on the Prairie. Or maybe not.

tumblr_inline_nw93lh3Gt61tbsl8q_500.jpg

Reactions: DrothmanII
Oh, I feel you. There was a crowd of people that thought Hurts would suck last year.

With a better DC, we could have beat OU last season. They were more beatable with Hurts than with Kyler and Baker.

I have been thinking we are equal to OU in talent this year. McCoy had a great freshman red shirt season but usually that is hard to do. Rattler will have some mistakes.
If Herman is going to get us to the next level this is a must game. A loss to LSU will not kill our chances to get in the playoffs but that is all we can lose and still be in the discussion.
Absolutely positively MUST beat OU season. Must.

Reactions: NawlinsHorn
The lack of draft buzz for Duvernay is so confusing. He isn't tall but he is a burner with flypaper hands. Just put on the tape of him vs. LSU. He eviscerated the eventual national champions with maybe 3 first rounders in their secondary. No matter where he goes in the draft, I bet he goes on to have a long and productive NFL career.

Oh, I am. I want to lose another 20 at least. That would put me down more than 60+ for the year in about six months.
Good good. I've got a hunch that this event will have lasting benefit. Stay the course. The rewards will be great.

The lack of draft buzz for Duvernay is so confusing. He isn't tall but he is a burner with flypaper hands. Just put on the tape of him vs. LSU. He eviscerated the eventual national champions with maybe 3 first rounders in their secondary. No matter where he goes in the draft, I bet he goes on to have a long and productive NFL career.
There are apparently concerns about his technical ability as a receiver.

If not in 2020, you have to wonder when to a certain degree, especially with Texas having the turnover at quarterback in 2021.

Let's be frank. If we don't win the Big 12 this season and there was no relative cataclysmic type injury, then you can pretty much close the book on Herman being the long-term answer.

Let's be frank. If we don't win the Big 12 this season and there was no relative cataclysmic type injury, then you can pretty much close the book on Herman being the long-term answer.
I think it's one of the reasons he seems so urgent behind the scenes to squeeze every last possible drop out of preparation.

We all love the kid and I think he'll have a very good pro career. I think one of the knocks on him is his lack of wiggle.

Anybody raise an eyebrow at Rattler being no. 84 on the list of top 100 college football players basically without ever playing? That sure is giving Riley a lot of credit on multiple fronts ... maybe deserved to some extent, but still seems kind of ridiculous until he actually performs in games.

Reactions: horns--21
Anybody raise an eyebrow at Rattler being no. 84 on the list of top 100 college football players basically without ever playing? That sure is giving Riley a lot of credit on multiple fronts ... maybe deserved to some extent, but still seems kind of ridiculous until he actually performs in games.
You could make the case it's a conservative projection, no? I mean... I'm hear from people right now in this thread that they'll take whatever is behind curtain No.3 with Rattler over Sam, as long as he has Riley leading the way.

I'm pretty excited about the draft. It's basically the only sports thing that's been on tv for quite awhile. Hell I may watch all the rounds for once.

I think Rattler will eventually be a Heisman finalist.

However, in a year where he's just a redshirt freshman and Texas has a borderline top 5 quarterback in its history going into his senior year... I'll give the edge to Ehlinger.

If we're going Rattler's freshman season vs. Ehlinger's freshman season, and then on down the line, Rattler has the edge in each year.

But, this isn't apples to apples.

It's senior Ehlinger vs. freshman Rattler.

If it can't be done in that kind of circumstance, I suppose it just c an't get done... cause Rattler is going to beast out in 2021 and 2022.

Rattler redshirted last year so it's really senior Ehlinger vs. redshirt freshman (sophmore) Rattler.
And to make matters worse he redshirted behind Hurts which was probably a great thing for a young quarterback.
Just kind of think this thing is more in favor of the sooners.

There are apparently concerns about his technical ability as a receiver.

We all love the kid and I think he'll have a very good pro career. I think one of the knocks on him is his lack of wiggle.

Yeah, I've seen those critiques. Maybe/probably he won't ever be a WR1, but as a Saints fan, I've seen Ted Ginn last as long as he has in the League basically just being speed guy (with very questionable hands), so I can't imagine that Duve couldn't do the same, at the very least.

Reactions: Big Bertha
I don't see Texas a favorite in any way, shape, or form. We had all of those players listed in key roles last year, and lost to TCU, Baylor, ISU, and OU.

Coaching matters, and OU has a younger, smarter, looser, more talented coach and its not close.
Disagree! We will see over the next two years when the talent is more equal.

ADVERTISEMENT