ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Tom Herman is all-in on the 2018 Longhorns ...)

Do you honestly think we have close to the worst QBs, OLmen, and RBs in all college football? Because that's how bad our offense was last season.

Beck runs a PA nearly every play, but only runs the ball maybe 15% of the time. The PA only works if you're running the ball. Otherwise it's just wasted motion and time behind an already crappy offensive line, right? He doesn't run plays based on down or distance... he seems to run them based on whatever he points to on his playbook, regardless of if it is the correct type of play call. For example, go to the first drive of the game and watch him call a little TE slip play, where they purposely let a defender through so that the TE will get the ball. The problem is that it was 3rd and 9, and we threw the ball to a slow TE just one yard down the field. It wasn't a broken play, it was meant to be like that. I can't understand crap like that.
We had pretty close to the worst OL in power 5 conferences last year. Worst in 20+ years at Texas.

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
a. which part did I take too seriously? Specifically?
b. Hudson will not likely start. Likely isn't a word that makes a lot of sense to me. He's a major question mark.

You took the performance of the offense - or lack thereof - too seriously.

How can Herman's job be on the line when he is still playing games with the other coach's players? Unfortunately in today's game it takes a couple of years to rebuild a program to the status that Texas had at one time. The problem is that the former person in charge of hiring an AD put Texas in a position of having to wait longer. It seems we are on the right track now but people are going to have to be patient and understand the process, which is another problem in its self.
In 2018 in major college football, you better win in year two if you went 7-6 in year one.

How so?

By commenting on it?

I watched the Facebook live, read your 25 thoughts and read this thread. You’re pretty much my dude, Ketch, so don’t take this the wrong way, but if you can’t see how you have drawn predictive conclusions about the offense and, thus, the season based on the Spring game and, specifically, the offensive performance, you aren’t seeing your own reaction/analysis clearly.

I watched the Facebook live, read your 25 thoughts and read this thread. You’re pretty much my dude, Ketch, so don’t take this the wrong way, but if you can’t see how you have drawn predictive conclusions about the offense and, thus, the season based on the Spring game and, specifically, the offensive performance, you aren’t seeing your own reaction/analysis clearly.
You do realize that my sample size includes all of last season, all of this spring and the spring game itself, right?

Which position do you think I'm being slightly unfair to? Quarterbacks? Running backs? Offensive line? The unit as a whole?

Reactions: drunk randoke
Everyone sees this. Our head football coach doesn’t see this. That’s scary.

This.

Great summary of the "game." I think it was a clever move by Herman to give an excuse for O-line play, and I agree we may need a sorcerer next year. Color me questionable about an honorable mention transfer from an inferior league. I am hopeful, but even one serviceable player providing an upgrade to one side of the line does little to excite me. Glad he's coming, and I hope he does well and stays healthy.

All that said, the happy face side of me will buy the 2k for Johnson and LJH, even if the split is 1500 for LJH and 500 for CJ. Ummm, wait a sec, as you noted, the sub patterns that occur with our current WR coach may not even have them on the field for 1/3 of the plays; so never mind. BUT if they get a chance to play? Buy. This may be the oddest discussion known to man -- how can there be any doubt about who should play... OFTEN??? Funny how this discussion never comes up on the D side of the ball. Roach + Hager = fun to watch.

Glad the baseball team had a good week, but I'm not sure what to expect for the remainder of the season. UNO is not a bad team at all, but they showed the weakness we have in our starting pitching, which is our achilles heal this year. That said, it has been a surprisingly good year so far, so maybe Pierce can continue to pull rabbits out of his hat. We'll see.

Thanks, as always, for a good Monday morning read.

Hook 'em!!!

That's not the point, though. You make it into as much of a positive as possible in as many ways as you can. It should be a Death Star weapon.

But, wouldn't that require and investment by the University? Not sure investments will happen, unless you are talking facilities and people. Those in power aren't capable of thinking past that.

But, wouldn't that require and investment by the University? Not sure investments will happen, unless you are talking facilities and people. Those in power aren't capable of thinking past that.
You nailed it. Reinvestment is probably key because ESPN doesn't give a shit.

I think no way Herman lets his boys lose to Tech two years in a row. I would swap KSU and Tech. FIFY. If Texas is good enough to beat USC at home then I think they are good enough to beat TCU at home. 9-3 would be an excellent season IMO.

at Maryland (win)
vs. Tulsa (win)
vs. USC (win)
vs. TCU (loss)
at Kansas State (loss)
vs. Oklahoma (loss)
vs. Baylor (win)
at Oklahoma State (loss)
vs. West Virginia (win)
at Texas Tech (win)
vs. Iowa State (win)
at Kansas (win)

I think no way Herman lets his boys lose to Tech two years in a row. I would swap KSU and Tech. FIFY. If Texas is good enough to beat USC at home then I think they are good enough to beat TCU at home. 9-3 would be an excellent season IMO.

at Maryland (win)
vs. Tulsa (win)
vs. USC (win)
vs. TCU (loss)
at Kansas State (loss)
vs. Oklahoma (loss)
vs. Baylor (win)
at Oklahoma State (loss)
vs. West Virginia (win)
at Texas Tech (win)
vs. Iowa State (win)
at Kansas (win)
They deserve zero benefit of the doubt against TCU. Zero.

Reactions: HorntoWin
You do realize that my sample size includes all of last season, all of this spring and the spring game itself, right?

Which position do you think I'm being slightly unfair to? Quarterbacks? Running backs? Offensive line? The unit as a whole?

There’s an undercurrent of mailaise and here we go again to your reaction to the SG. It’s understandable and consistent with the general reaction of the board and other media, so maybe I’m the one who is off base, but I think way too much is being read into a game where they didn’t even attempt to run the ball, the offensive line was playing on both teams and the game plan was beyond vanilla. There is very little to be drawn from it, which is what TH was strongly implying in his presser. Unless the coaches were lying when they reported multiple times that the offense won prior scrimmages (with none of the aforementioned SG limitations imposed), then the gnashing off teeth over how the offense looked in the SG is misplaced. I would have emphasized restraint on drawing anything from the SG were I in your shoes.
You mouthed that sentiment from time to time, but the thrust has been malaise and here we go again.

There’s an undercurrent of mailaise and here we go again to your reaction to the SG. It’s understandable and consistent with the general reaction of the board and other media, so maybe I’m the one who is off base, but I think way too much is being read into a game where they didn’t even attempt to run the ball, the offensive line was playing on both teams and the game plan was beyond vanilla. There is very little to be drawn from it, which is what TH was strongly implying in his presser. Unless the coaches were lying when they reported multiple times that the offense won prior scrimmages (with none of the aforementioned SG limitations imposed), then the gnashing off teeth over how the offense looked in the SG is misplaced. I would have emphasized restraint on drawing anything from the SG were I in your shoes.
You mouthed that sentiment from time to time, but the thrust has been malaise and here we go again.
My comments about the offense are inside the context of everything we know about this team. The spring game was just a small spotlight on a lot of issues.

Can you specifically pinpoint one thing I said (please quote it) that was unfair, so I can see what you object to?

@Ketchum f'n crushed the B/S section.

@Ketchum please contact RLong68's family. I believe he is tied up in a basement somewhere and someone is posting positive, once in a lifetime comments with his laptop. Note that he even praised you to the sky. It will take him literally minutes to undo all this harm once he is freed from his captors.=)roll

Reactions: matamoroshorn
@Ketchum please contact RLong68's family. I believe he is tied up in a basement somewhere and someone is posting positive, once in a lifetime comments with his laptop. Note that he even praised you to the sky. It will take him literally minutes to undo all this harm once he is freed from his captors.=)roll
911 has been called.

Reactions: I Hear Voices
FIFY:

No. 10 – And Finally …

If the season started today ...

at Maryland (TOSS UP)
vs. Tulsa (win)
vs. USC (TOSS UP)
vs. TCU (TOSS UP)
at Kansas State (TOSS UP)
vs. Oklahoma (WIN OU SUX)
vs. Baylor (win)
at Oklahoma State (TOSS UP)
vs. West Virginia (TOSS UP)
at Texas Tech (TOSS UP)
vs. Iowa State (TOSS UP)
at Kansas (win)

Reactions: PabloDeTejas
I see this.

You see this.

Everyone sees this.

Our head football coach doesn’t see this. That’s scary.
I believe there is more to this than Beck simply calling the plays. Herman.is trying to create continuity, as well as get Roschon signed. Tim Beck is a big part of Roschon and other recruits coming to campus(as surprising as that may sound). Beck has strong relationships with many recruits, and until we are a 10 win team, conference champions and vying for a playoff birth, these relationships are important to maintain. Just my opinion.

I believe there is more to this than Beck simply calling the plays. Herman.is trying to create continuity, as well as get Roschon signed. Tim Beck is a big part of Roschon and other recruits coming to campus(as surprising as that may sound). Beck has strong relationships with many recruits, and until we are a 10 win team, conference champions and vying for a playoff birth, these relationships are important to maintain. Just my opinion.
That's all fair.

Reactions: I Hear Voices
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT