ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Tom Herman is all-in on the 2018 Longhorns ...)

BUY or SELL: LJH, CJ and DD combine for 2,000 yards receiving and 20 touchdowns this year?

(Sell) After projecting Collin Johnson for more than 10 touchdowns a season ago and coming up way short, forgive me for showing some restraint with the prediction game. I do think that group has that kind of upside, if not the supporting cast around it to get there.

Given Ehlinger is likely to be the starter combined with his rather below average ability to push the ball downfield accurately, Duvernay and to some extent, Johnson, will struggle to put up better than pedestrian numbers.

I am all in with you on Hurts but wouldn’t he have to redshirt in ‘18?
Then we would have six QB’s in the room in ‘19?
Hurts was an early enrollee and there's thought that he could be a grad transfer and able to play immediately.

Reactions: TrailsPoppy
Trout is better than Mays at this point in his career. He just needs the longevity now. He will end up being the best player to ever play when it's over.

BUY or SELL: Texas is actively searching for a grad transfer QB and/or O lineman.

(Buy) Tom Herman is looking under every rock for anyone that can help this team NOW. If I was Tom Herman, I would be sending signals to the state of Alabama to a certain quarterback, letting him know that the job can be his if he's not happy with the Crimson Tide. I’d give Jalen Hurts the job tomorrow if he wanted and not look back. Texas can win nine games with that kid at quarterback, there's no doubt in my mind.

Don't you OB bro'? Hurts would not start at Texas other than maybe RB. His combined 7K yds and 60 TDs in his first 2 seasons were a simple fluke.

Reactions: tsumatt06
BUY or SELL: Sam Ehlinger is more Tyrone Swoopes than he is Colt McCoy?

(Buy) At this point, he's much close to being a mini-me version of the 2016 version of Swoopes than any version of McCoy from 2006-09.

giphy.gif

Reactions: tsumatt06
BUY or SELL: Patrick Hudson comes in, locks up a starting spot and performs at an average B12 level or above?

(Sell) Hudson is a young player that was still in the infancy stage of his development last season and now he's coming off a major knee injury, which has slowed his development. I think he's going to be a serious option for the 2019 team, but I'm not sure a big impact for 2018 is going to exist. It's a rewrite of history to suggest that he was a plus-player in limited playing time a year ago, even if he started to show some flashes.

Agree, but right now, much like you only have to outswim your buddy if a shark is coming at both of you in the water, Hudson only has to be better than Rodriguez, which quite frankly is not a terribly high level.

BUY or SELL: The Circle Drill with two often-injured QBs (one with concussion issues) is a dumb stunt that should not be repeated by Coach Herman.

(Buy) I don't know if I would call it a dumb stunt, but it was kind of a dumb stunt. I know why it was done, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to expose those players to this type of drill when you otherwise have them protected at all times because the dangers of losing one are too significant. You read my mind.

Not to mention that it can create some misguided emotions amongst the rest of the team. THe bottom line is that the winner of some stupid f'n QB Circle Drill doesn't mean sh*t if the winner can move the offense.

Wouldn’t be shocked.

Conference is wide open and other teams lost a lot especially at QB

Don’t know if it happens but a greater chance than only winning 7
You think there's a better chance that this team with major issues all over the offense will win the Big 12 than win seven games?

Not to mention that it can create some misguided emotions amongst the rest of the team. THe bottom line is that the winner of some stupid f'n QB Circle Drill doesn't mean sh*t if the winner can move the offense.
bingo.

Reactions: ArielC
Sorry, Ketch. Ridiculous to talk about Herman's job security at this point. It is not on the table.
this. you know, he's just has to chunk some controversy in there. this team was in every game last year sans TCU with a terrible OL and a fish QB and Herman could be in trouble? Herman's on the "hot seat" talk shouldn't even be mentioned at this point.

Reactions: ArielC
So I hear.

Quite honestly, any Jalen Hurts thread on OB ends up being one of the most humorous and head-shaking ones you will find. Been that way ever since they started the day after the title game. FWIW, I don't expect any decision by Hurts to transfer, if any, before the December. But if for some reason he picks up the phone and calls Herman today TH would be a GD fool to not listen and listen hard.

You think there's a better chance that this team with major issues all over the offense will win the Big 12 than win seven games?
I’m not predicting Texas wins the big 12 this year. The poster that did isn’t normally connected to hyperbole though. Contending isn’t wild

If Herman is the coach we think he is this teams wins 8-9 games and a bowl with the likely state of the big 12 this year. I don’t subscribe to this team being no better than last year..or worse.

this. you know, he's just has to chunk some controversy in there. this team was in every game last year sans TCU with a terrible OL and a fish QB and Herman could be in trouble? Herman's on the "hot seat" talk shouldn't even be mentioned at this point.
No one said Herman was on the shot seat.

What was said is that Herman KNOWS this season is critical to him remaining off of it.

Nothing controversial about that. There's a reason why only a couple of people have mentioned it in this thread.

I’m not predicting Texas wins the big 12 this year. The poster that did isn’t normally connected to hyperbole though. Contending isn’t wild

If Herman is the coach we think he is this teams wins 8-9 games and a bowl with the likely state of the big 12 this year. I don’t subscribe to this team being no better than last year..or worse.
No, you said it's more likely that it wins the Big 12 than wins seven games. That's what I'm commenting on, not you predicting that it will happen.

Quite honestly, any Jalen Hurts thread on OB ends up being one of the most humorous and head-shaking ones you will find. Been that way ever since they started the day after the title game. FWIW, I don't expect any decision by Hurts to transfer, if any, before the December. But if for some reason he picks up the phone and calls Herman today TH would be a GD fool to not listen and listen hard.
Herman would crawl to Hurts if that's what it took.

Reactions: I Hear Voices
No, you said it's more likely that it wins the Big 12 than wins seven games. That's what I'm commenting on, not you predicting that it will happen.
If Texas only wins 7 it’s pretty much a disaster season for Herman so yeah, I think there is a greater chance of not having that happen. This is a big year especially with other teams in the conference losing talent/breaking in new QBs etc

If Texas only wins 7 it’s pretty much a disaster season for Herman so yeah, I think there is a greater chance of not having that happen
You not wanting it to happen doesn't make it less likely.;)

If Texas only wins 7 it’s pretty much a disaster season for Herman so yeah, I think there is a greater chance of not having that happen. This is a big year especially with other teams in the conference losing talent/breaking in new QBs etc

If Herman only wins 7 games and then has to reset his coaching staff in the off season it will be a bad sign.

No one said Herman was on the shot seat.

What was said is that Herman KNOWS this season is critical to him remaining off of it.

Nothing controversial about that. There's a reason why only a couple of people have mentioned it in this thread.
yeah, but you know what you were doing. i've been here too long not to see the tiny, insignificant bb gun shot you made. IMO, there's no need to even mention that at this point. but, what do I know.

Last edited:

Everyone was predicting 9-10 wins last season too. The QB position is still terrible and the OL is what the OL has looked like for a decade... CRAP.

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
@JinSOTEX is it more likely that Herman has to replace Beck or that Texas wins a Big 12 title with Beck as the play-calling coordinator?

yeah, but you know what you were doing. i've been here too long not to see the tiny, insignificant bb gun shot you made. IMO, there's no need to even mention that at this point. but what do I know.
Discussing important topics related to Texas football is what we do here. We don't just ignore truths because they are uncomfortable. That's what Aggies do.

ADVERTISEMENT