ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Tom Herman is all-in on the 2018 Longhorns ...)

@JinSOTEX is it more likely that Herman has to replace Beck or that Texas wins a Big 12 title with Beck as the play-calling coordinator?
I’ve not bought in to Beck being the primary play caller all this coming season since Herman basically only committed to him “helping” in the spring and the fact it’s know by some insiders that Herman was kicking the tires on at least one OC candidate this offseason. I think Herman will be highly involved no matter what is claimed
To the public. That and he brought in Hand who likely will help on offense as well beyond coaching OL

Reactions: PabloDeTejas
I’ve not bought in to Beck being the primary play caller all this coming season since Herman basically only committed to him “helping” in the spring and the fact it’s know by some insiders that Herman was kicking the tires on at least one OC candidate this offseason. I think Herman will be highly involved no matter what is claimed
To the public. That and he brought in Hand who likely will help on offense as well beyond coaching OL
I'm not sure you answered the question.

I'm not sure you answered the question.
It’s kinda hard to answer when I think Herman will be involved in calling plays in some form or fashion starting from game 1. He may not admit it but I think it’s going to happen. I don’t think beck is “removed” in some public announcement though especially when he’s known to be an excellent recruiter

It’s kinda hard to answer when I think Herman will be involved in calling plays in some form or fashion starting from game 1. He may not admit it but I think it’s going to happen. I don’t think beck is “removed” in some public announcement though especially when he’s known to be an excellent recruiter
ok, but which is more likely... Beck falling on his face or a Big 12 title?

Everyone was predicting 9-10 wins last season too. The QB position is still terrible and the OL is what the OL has looked like for a decade... CRAP.
yeah, and they were in every game with the exception of TCU with the worst OL in Texas history and a freshman QB. even a bad OL would have gotten them to 9 wins. No way they will be as bad as last year. it's virtually impossible.

yeah, and they were in every game with the exception of TCU with the worst OL in Texas history and a freshman QB. even a bad OL would have gotten them to 9 wins. No way they will be as bad as last year. it's virtually impossible.

I agree. 9-3 is my expectation.

Herman sees it right. OB writers failed to give enough credit for improvements. If Anderson is as good as billed and Hudson is ready and the RB transfers we will will score enough with this defense to win the conference.

The quarterback situation isn't improved, not significantly, anyways?
The running back situation is not yet improved.
The tight end position isn't really improved.
The offensive line situation isn't really improved.

Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

Herman sees it right. OB writers failed to give enough credit for improvements. If Anderson is as good as billed and Hudson is ready and the RB transfers we will will score enough with this defense to win the conference.
Why are people constantly bringing up an unproven offensive lineman coming off of a major injury as a source for major help in this upcoming season?

Never mind. I know the answer.

@Ketchum I'm curious what your take on each Big XII team is compared to last year.

For instance, I think Texas takes a step forward this year despite key defensive losses because the OL, QB play almost has to improve over last year. the OL simply cannot be worse.

OU will take a small step back. Still plenty of talent but you simply cannot replace a Baker Mayfield without losing a step.

Iowa State seems like the kind of team that will take a step (or two) forward. Every game under Campbell they improved last year and those kids feel like they can beat anyone they step on the field against.

Ok St, see OU and replace Mayfield with Rudoph, Washington and Ateman.

Etc.

BTW, just beacuse OU will take a step backwards, doesn't mean they become an easy W. It just means the chances of them almost beating Georgia in a national semifinal game are lower than they were last year.

@Ketchum I'm curious what your take on each Big XII team is compared to last year.

For instance, I think Texas takes a step forward this year despite key defensive losses because the OL, QB play almost has to improve over last year. the OL simply cannot be worse.

OU will take a small step back. Still plenty of talent but you simply cannot replace a Baker Mayfield without losing a step.

Iowa State seems like the kind of team that will take a step (or two) forward. Every game under Campbell they improved last year and those kids feel like they can beat anyone they step on the field against.

Ok St, see OU and replace Mayfield with Rudoph, Washington and Ateman.

Etc.

BTW, just beacuse OU will take a step backwards, doesn't mean they become an easy W. It just means the chances of them almost beating Georgia in a national semifinal game are lower than they were last year.
It's a tough question to answer because Texas always looks better on paper than other teams because of the highly rated recruits in the program.

How about I make it a section in next week's column?

The quarterback situation isn't improved, not significantly, anyways?
The running back situation is not yet improved.
The tight end position isn't really improved.
The offensive line situation isn't really improved.

Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?
@Ketchum I just want you to confirm that your position is that this year’s offensive line is not going to be improved over last year‘s. And don’t give me this nonsense about “that’s not what I said, I meant it’s not improved right now.” If that’s your point you may as well not talk about it at all. The question obviously is whether it will be improved during the season, not after spring practice, and your position is that it will not, correct?

Reactions: Hotlanta Horn
Ketch,
I get your point (that you make all the time) about the value of experience at QB. Having said that, SE threw too many risky balls (that could/should have been intercepted) making me wonder if he is going to continue to blow games this season with bad choices. SB missed a couple of wide open receivers. Though I had been on the SE camp, I now am just flat out starting to wonder whether we actually a horse to ride. The freshman QBs, on the other hand, seemed to be overall more effective than the experienced ones. Do you have stats on them? I would love to look at the numbers for all four QBs to see how my impression lines up with the numbers.

Regarding your predictions, OU is breaking in a new QB this year. Given how OU game usually goes, the quality of our defense, and their having a new QB, I am quietly optimistic its our turn this year.

@Ketchum I just want you to confirm that your position is that this year’s offensive line is not going to be improved over last year‘s. And don’t give me this nonsense about “that’s not what I said, I meant it’s not improved right now.” If that’s your point you may as well not talk about it at all. The question obviously is whether it will be improved during the season, not after spring practice, and your position is that it will not, correct?
I don't know that this team's play will be better along the offensive line. I have very little faith in the players being counted on.

Ketch,
I get your point (that you make all the time) about the value of experience at QB. Having said that, SE threw too many risky balls (that could/should have been intercepted) making me wonder if he is going to continue to blow games this season with bad choices. SB missed a couple of wide open receivers. Though I had been on the SE camp, I now am just flat out starting to wonder whether we actually a horse to ride. The freshman QBs, on the other hand, seemed to be overall more effective than the experienced ones. Do you have stats on them? I would love to look at the numbers for all four QBs to see how my impression lines up with the numbers.

Regarding your predictions, OU is breaking in a new QB this year. Given how OU game usually goes, the quality of our defense, and their having a new QB, I am quietly optimistic its our turn this year.
A few thoughts...

a. I do believe Sam will turn the ball over less as he gets older. He's got some wildcat in him and he needs to be house broken. Colt had some of that as well. A lot of young quarterbacks do.

b. OU is simply much further ahead in the development of their entire program. It's more than ok to be optimistic about that game because what fun is it being pessimistic as a fan, but the two programs aren't the same right now.

Reactions: NativeTex
I just watched the spring game today after somewhat following the thread yesterday. I’ve got to say that, at least the board is consistent. Not saying it was perfection, but it was a damn Spring game. I think the overreaction by some is a bit over the top. Sounding the alarm after a spring game is like calling the fire department when you see someone light a cigarette.
what exactly is the overreaction?
Sorry Ketch, not from you. Reading your thread reminded me of some of the comments on the spring game thread. Was making a general comment about some of the sky is falling comments on that thread.
Was not commenting on your column.

Sorry Ketch, not from you. Reading your thread reminded me of some of the comments on the spring game thread. Was making a general comment about some of the sky is falling comments on that thread.
Was not commenting on your column.
gotcha. thanks.

Reactions: eastexbigeasy
Who’s correct here? I just assumed Hurts would not be a grad transfer after 2 1/2 years at Alabama. He will already have graduated?

According to articles posted about him possibly transferring, he will be eligible to graduate after the 18 season, and thus a transfer for the 2019 season.

I don't feel like I've jumped off of it as much as the coaches have.

Lil Jordan Humphrey would be my starting running back if I was calling the shots.

I don't know Ketch... you saying LJH would be my starting running back if I was calling the shots sounds an awful lot like you jumping off of the Daniel Young bandwagon to me. Your words, not Herman's.

ADVERTISEMENT