ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Tom Herman's big 2018)

I just want so badly for us to not suck this year. Don’t care who plays QB, don’t care who said what about whom in the locker room, just win football games.
source.gif

I remember a number of articles last year during the summer and beginning of fall practices quoting Herman about how Deshon Elliot was a leader, had turned things around, and taking over the DB room. Now all of a sudden, he never bought into Herman and was a cancer, and all this BS. Stop it. I haven't heard the Stanford coach or LSU coach talk poorly about Mcaffrey or Fournette for skipping their bowl games. Whether it was his antics on the sideline during the bowl game (with the bag) or these issues with players (Jefferson/Elliot), and even shots he took at the previous staff when he came in (most new coaches keep that stuff to themselves), there is a little bit of immaturity to Herman. Maybe his intelligence overcomes that and Texas wins anyway, but it's something that is definitely there.

Reactions: Golfer301980
If you believe the offensive line will be average to above average, we have 2 championship caliber WR’s and a healthy Watson goes for over 1000 you better raise your win prediction and get off the fence.

hedge your bets
. to protect yourself against making the wrong choice: The weather forecasters were hedging their bets, saying the storm might come into land or go out to sea. (Definition of “hedge your bets” from the Cambridge Academic Content Dictionary © Cambridge University Press)

"Josh Hader was given a standing ovation by Milwaukee Brewers fans. Fellas, he's not a victim. He did nothing to warrant such an ovation."

That was an expression of public distaste for the "gotcha" kind of opposition research that has spread from politics to now seeking out any public figure they can embarrass for something they said or thought many years ago. Who thinks it is a good idea (or should matter) to hunt down what someone put in someone else's high school yearbook decades ago or find a class book report where the person said something stupid when in high school? The public is kinda sick of this stuff and it is one reason that bashing of the press resonates with many. If he said that this year, okay. As a minor in high school? It is just stalker level creepy you are even looking that far back.

BUY or SELL: In the Tom Herman era, Texas takes home the national championship?

(Sell) See the top of this column.
I love that you’re already off the bandwagon 13 games into the Herman era. This will be shoved so far up your ass when you’re wrong. And no backtracking. Herman won’t win a national title at Texas is your position. Noted.

I know I’ll get some snarky remark but in over 17 yrs of feeding this place 10.00 a month that is the most mail it in column in the history of this place.

Not one damn bit of new info , recruiting news or team coverage.......that was straight up piss poor.

Time to beat the bushes and get some new sources.

Flame away.

giphy.gif

Herman has learned to temper expectations. Calling the OL last year the best that he ever coached couldn't have turned out any worse. He doesn't make the same mistake twice.

Also "championship caliber what"? Big12 or BCS? Big difference. If your talking Big 12, we have more than 6. You can add Anderson, Brandon Jones, Kerkstetter, even Charles O. OU doesn't have more than 9 or 10.

Reactions: bozans
It is amazing there is so much "hope" and not really any specific strategy or for sure stars on our team. Usually, this points to a let down of reality versus hopeful expectations.
We have been the most subdued about a season than I have seen since being on OB. Not much kool aid being given out just yet.

Reactions: Bay Horn
It is amazing there is so much "hope" and not really any specific strategy or for sure stars on our team. Usually, this points to a let down of reality versus hopeful expectations.
We have been the most subdued about a season than I have seen since being on OB. Not much kool aid being given out just yet.
I honestly don’t think we’re going to be markedly better this year, but I do think most of the teams we’re playing will be worse due to the plethora of veteran quarterbacks graduating/getting drafted last year. Will probably swing a few more games our way this year.

As an aside, this is what honestly scares the shit out of me about the Maryland game. The only really big piece they lost was a WR. I still think they win last year even without him.

*Please don’t lecture me about how we played against Maryland last year and how it won’t happen again this year because honestly, no one knows what will happen. I’m not calling an L to start off the season, but to consider Maryland a gimme is baseless optimism.

I know I’ll get some snarky remark but in over 17 yrs of feeding this place 10.00 a month that is the most mail it in column in the history of this place.

Not one damn bit of new info , recruiting news or team coverage.......that was straight up piss poor.

Flame away.
This column has always been an editorial. It's Ketch's thoughts from the weekend. I'm not sure why you'd expect news in this.

I honestly don’t think we’re going to be markedly better this year, but I do think most of the teams we’re playing will be worse due to the plethora of veteran quarterbacks graduating/getting drafted last year. Will probably swing a few more games our way this year.

As an aside, this is what honestly scares the shit out of me about the Maryland game. The only really big piece they lost was a WR. I still think they win last year even without him.

*Please don’t lecture me about how we played against Maryland last year and how it won’t happen again this year because honestly, no one knows what will happen. I’m not calling an L to start off the season, but to consider Maryland a gimme is baseless optimism.
I agree. I can see us as 3 pt favorites but the game really is a tossup at this point. Our OL needs to have a good game for us to win.

Reactions: bozans
Real question for you Ketch. Do you truly think Shane could beat out Sam and start the season, and then keep the starting job until conference play?

I don't think anyone does, so I think most people have already penciled in Sam to be the guy. It doesn't really feel like a QB competition to me. It just feels like trying to get Sam ready for his 2nd season.

Bet we get a look at Rising in week 2. He can spin the ball.

Reactions: Horntalker
Out of the 6 championship level guys you named there was only 1 lineman. That's bad for business, without elite level lineman we'll never ascend to the championship ranks.
if you want to see championship level DL, just watch Clemson's line kick the holy shit out of Aggies this year. Our OL is better than theirs.

Reactions: MB-HORNS

Flame away.

So you're saying this was Big 12 quality not sec material. o_O

Reactions: coopdog
College cake at a wedding? Weird.
Agreed.

Who's weirder or maybe more deranged? His putting Alabama on the icing of their wedding cake or her putting LSU colors in their wedding cake mix?

What is it what people in the Southeast?!?

It's why it's hard for me to give the benefit of the doubt after having done so a year ago with a last-minute nine-win season prediction.

Therefore, I sit in opinion purgatory as the season approaches, unable to quite figure out if this season is the beginning of something special or the ignition of a realization that this is the beginning of something less than that.

I hear you man. I went from full-on believer over the Mack years, to optimistic skeptic under Strong. After getting excited during most recruiting and off seasons, I now just have to see it to believe it during the actual season. But this is what I will also say about Herman. I definitely would not want him coaching at a rival school and would feel pretty worried about it if he was at a place like OU, even though he hasn't produced a "Texas good" result on the field in Austin yet.

hedge your bets
. to protect yourself against making the wrong choice: The weather forecasters were hedging their bets, saying the storm might come into land or go out to sea. (Definition of “hedge your bets” from the Cambridge Academic Content Dictionary © Cambridge University Press)

Are we playing craps??

Herman has learned to temper expectations. Calling the OL last year the best that he ever coached couldn't have turned out any worse. He doesn't make the same mistake twice.

Also "championship caliber what"? Big12 or BCS? Big difference. If your talking Big 12, we have more than 6. You can add Anderson, Brandon Jones, Kerkstetter, even Charles O. OU doesn't have more than 9 or 10.

Brandon Jones hasn’t shown much yet not sure how he’s championship quality or even close until he shows us something on the field. Kerstetter had a good freshman campaign but was far from being championship quality. Charles O has the potential but again needs to prove it. I think Ketch was right on with his group

#10 was pretty damn funny-

I think one “holds his head high” I’m not sure how one “hangs his head high” - vote to add this to the list of OBisms.

Reactions: Walt Longmire
ADVERTISEMENT