ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Tom Herman's big 2018)

Spieth’s accomplishments at age 24 are in line with Jack, better than Tiger, and WAY better than Phil:

Major 1st place, Major 2nd place, Major 3rd place, Total pro wins
Jack: 3, 3, 2, 12
Jordan 3, 3, 1, 14
Tiger: 2, 0, 2, 15
Phil 0, 0, 1, 4

The key to winning Majors is to consistently be in position to win because it is HARD to win. Spieth has done that better than anybody since Jack and has a historically solid winning percentage when in position to win.

I cited Elliot's BEHAVIOR, he made himself the outlier, he got ZERO help from me in that department. I see no current teammates behaving publicly as he does.

Contrast that with Breckyn Hager telling Coach Tom Herman during a game last season, "I love you man!", or words to that effect. He's still on the team.

Contrary to alleging you are naive, I'm going by the objective evidence at hand.
We're talking about different things.

It amazes me that you can pass judgement on a people's and an event from 1400 miles away that you have no 1st hand experience or practical knowledge of. You are tops on your field partly because of the standards you hold yourself to as a journalist. You are falling to use them here.
How am I wrong. Lay it out for me.

Its all about perspective. Here we are so starved for a 9 win season it's seems ludicrous to call it disappointing. But after a 13 win season, to lose to Navy, SMU and Memphis in the same year was disappointing to Houston fans.
That was a UH team that finished the season unranked. Thus, the disappointment.

The whole Hader thing is stupid. It was stupid for him to say those things then, even as a teenager. But it was much, much stupider for a journalist to dig that stuff up all these years later for no good reason.

I think the fans giving him an ovation was more a sign of support than a sign of adoration.

Nothing to see here... Move along.

From the perspective of the people he wrote hatefully about, I expect only a few dozen saw his posts those years ago. So this journalist who dredged all this up from long ago, spread the hatred among millions of new people who were hurt by it and reopened the old wounds of the few who saw it originally. That's on the journalist if you are really worried about the feelings of those who would be hurt by it, instead of lusting for punishment of the baseball player. Most people in the public sensibly see that the actions of the journalist here are not a good thing, not for society, not for those who would be injured by the words, nor really anyone but the journalist who gets credit for breaking what other journalists see as a big story.
What the statue of limitations on hate and bigotry? Serious question.

In order to fully judge Herman you have to wait until he has his players and not a mix. Even Saban had the same problem. I think now that he has the right OL coach we will see quite an improvement on the offensive side of the ball. Plus the fact that the guys aren't learning a new system makes a big difference.
That's fair.

Did Charlie ever really get that, though?

This isn't a fair world.

Ketch - I usually don't feel this way , but it seems to me that you teed up some very interesting topics and IMHO didn't develop them. The in depth analysis seemed lacking and felt kind of like a drive by effort especially topics 1 & 2.

BTW - Normally love the column my man.
I always strive to do better. In my defense, it's late July and I'm basically out of different off-season takes.

I don't think you can view this in a vacuum. Did you not say stupid or irresponsibly immature things as teenager? Have you changed mentally since high school?
Nothing remotely like that. Ever.

When I was a kid, living in east Austin next to Reagan, I used the N-word, hated gays, called girls hoes, etc. Most boys go through that phase. I don't use those words anymore.
a. I spent a lot of time on the East side. Personally, I wasn't wired like you.
b. Not even close to what happened with Hader. Apples and Buicks.

People change, their perceptions change as dictated by experience.
That's not really what anyone is discussing. Yes, people can change. That's not the topic at hand.

Spieth’s accomplishments at age 24 are in line with Jack, better than Tiger, and WAY better than Phil:

Major 1st place, Major 2nd place, Major 3rd place, Total pro wins
Jack: 3, 3, 2, 12
Jordan 3, 3, 1, 14
Tiger: 2, 0, 2, 15
Phil 0, 0, 1, 4

The key to winning Majors is to consistently be in position to win because it is HARD to win. Spieth has done that better than anybody since Jack and has a historically solid winning percentage when in position to win.
Not disputing how great he can be.

The whole Hader thing is stupid. It was stupid for him to say those things then, even as a teenager. But it was much, much stupider for a journalist to dig that stuff up all these years later for no good reason.

I think the fans giving him an ovation was more a sign of support than a sign of adoration.

Nothing to see here... Move along.
The most stupid thing of the three things you mentioned is the deal involving the fans.

This fixation with blaming the messenger is ridiculous.

In order to fully judge Herman you have to wait until he has his players and not a mix. Even Saban had the same problem.

I missed Saban's 60-man second recruiting class which paved the way for a 12-2 record in year 2.

I've heard and read quite a bit about the issues of Milwaukee and race. It's received quite the spotlight.

It's impossible to discuss the horrible optics of that moment this weekend without acknowledging the uncomfortable truths that come with the discussion.
Ok, then please give me an explanation complete lock that the Democrat party has had on the city of Milwaukee mayor office, appointed police chiefs, city councils, etc for the last 100 years and the issue of racism. So, a whole city of racists (ecept those going to Brewers games) have been electing progressive democrats st every level of city and county government for the last 60 years. Can you explain that accusation of yours? No. There is a reason for race issues in Milwaukee but most of them have to do with geographical segregation and education which the Democrat elected institution maintains and not the hearts of the residents. The God we went through mandated desegregation in the South. We are better for it. There was no such mandate up here and politicians refuse to address it.
I've heard and read quite a bit about the issues of Milwaukee and race. It's received quite the spotlight.

It's impossible to discuss the horrible optics of that moment this weekend without acknowledging the uncomfortable truths that come with the discussion.
You have read about a few specific episodes from 1400 miles away. You are a good man Ketch. But, the race issues in Milwaukee are very different from those in Texas and the South. I promise, you have no concept of what they can be. They are more hardwired in the gyrations of political structure and geography than in the hearts of the people. I jave pastored over 3000 souls in a mostly conservative area and they abhor racism, won't stand for it. They get it. They are proud of their magnamity and that is what they were applauding that night.

Not disputing how great he can be.

Understand, just didn’t know if you realized how great he already has been despite losing a few majors with the lead. It happens to the best of them...Jack won 18 Majors but came in 2nd 19 times.

Ok, then please give me an explanation complete lock that the Democrat party has had on the city of Milwaukee mayor office, appointed police chiefs, city councils, etc for the last 100 years and the issue of racism. So, a whole city of racists (ecept those going to Brewers games) have been electing progressive democrats st every level of city and county government for the last 60 years. Can you explain that accusation of yours? No. There is a reason for race issues in Milwaukee but most of them have to do with geographical segregation and education which the Democrat elected institution maintains and not the hearts of the residents. The God we went through mandated desegregation in the South. We are better for it. There was no such mandate up here and politicians refuse to address it.

You have read about a few specific episodes from 1400 miles away. You are a good man Ketch. But, the race issues in Milwaukee are very different from those in Texas and the South. I promise, you have no concept of what they can be. They are more hardwired in the gyrations of political structure and geography than in the hearts of the people. I jave pastored over 3000 souls in a mostly conservative area and they abhor racism, won't stand for it. They get it. They are proud of their magnamity and that is what they were applauding that night.
I'm more educated on the subject than you probably believe, and yes, there's a lot of nuance there.

Let me put it to you like this.

Let's pick the imaginary non-racist city out there that is free of these issues. Let's say a player on the team beats a woman and his first time back on the field, the fans stand up and give him a standing ovation.

What signal do you think that sends to women, victims of abuse, etc..?

What the statue of limitations on hate and bigotry? Serious question.

Statutes of limitations apply to criminal matters and civil lawsuits, not to personal insults. But if you are serious about your question, the closest criminal or civil matter to compare it to would be defamation, which in about half the states is a one-year statute of limitation and in the other half is two-years. Tennessee is six months. The longest any state would have to something similar is three years for libel in a few states (Arkansas, Rhode Island). Generally a minor can't be criminally charged with libel, slander or defamation in most states, although their parents might be sued in some states for their child's conduct. Clearly, in this case, defamation, slander or libel from many years ago when a minor either cannot be charged at all or would be long past relevant statutes of limitations.

Serious question. Bobby Burton or someone at 247 sends you an email about one of your employees at OB. Maybe it is Alex or Dustin or Such. He gives you proof that back when they were juniors in high school they wrote something terrible, maybe racist or sexist or homophobic or someway insulting to another person. Would you fire that employee? Or would you wonder why Bobby Burton or 247 has dug up something 27 years old on Such or 15 years old on Dustin? Would the employee's plea when you confront them that they don't think at all like that now, they were running with a bad crowd and trying to impress some tough guys in high school, would that matter? Or need they be punished? Or would the motives of the accuser and your curiosity about why they were digging around in Such or Dustin's distant past history going to override that?

Last edited:
Let's pick the imaginary non-racist city out there that is free of these issues. Let's say a player on the team beats a woman and his first time back on the field, the fans stand up and give him a standing ovation.

That would be bad, but that would also be RECENT, not finding something in someone's distant past history, back when they were in high school and trying to sabotage their career. Your proposed scenario here is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what happened with the all star pitcher.

Have to quibble with you. It's only 6 years younger than Fonda San Miguel. According to the link, started in 1933 as a gas station and watering hole... and as a restaurant in 1981.

Claims Janis Joplin developed her style there. That's some pretty original Austin stuff, IMO.

http://www.threadgills.com/history/
and as a restaurant in 1981

My guidelines were places 40+ years old.

Statutes of limitations apply to criminal matters and civil lawsuits, not to personal insults. But if you are serious about your question, the closest criminal or civil matter to compare it to would be defamation, which in about half the states is a one-year statute of limitation and in the other half is two-years. Tennessee is six months. The longest any state would have to something similar is three years for libel in a few states (Arkansas, Rhode Island). Generally a minor can't be criminally charged with libel, slander or defamation in most states, although their parents might be sued in some states for their child's conduct. Clearly, in this case, defamation, slander or libel from many years ago when a minor either cannot be charged at all or would be long past relevant statutes of limitations.
For the public.

Serious question. Bobby Burton or someone at 247 sends you an email about one of your employees at OB. Maybe it is Alex or Dustin or Such. He gives you proof that back when they were juniors in high school they wrote something terrible, maybe racist or sexist or homophobic or someway insulting to another person. Would you fire that employee? Or would you wonder why Bobby Burton or 247 has dug up something 27 years old on Such or 15 years old on Dustin? Would their pleas when you confront them that they don't think at all like that now, they were running with a bad crowd and trying to impress some tough guys in high school, would that matter? Or need they be punished? Or would the motives of the accuser and your curiosity about why they were digging around in Such or Dustin's distant past history going to override that?
You're going to need to give me as much context as possible.

Frankly, I don't live in a world where I motives don't get evaluated, but there are things that could be so terrible that motive doesn't matter.

Also, what is being discussed is how the fans reacted. That's it, at least as it pertains to my comments in the column.

You're going to need to give me as much context as possible.

Frankly, I don't live in a world where I motives don't get evaluated, but there are things that could be so terrible that motive doesn't matter.

Also, what is being discussed is how the fans reacted. That's it, at least as it pertains to my comments in the column.

I think the fans reacted based on concerns about the motivation of someone digging around in a guy's history, going many years back to high school, to find anything they could to sabotage him with. It is completely unlike if he had said those things recently and it was being reported.

Nothing remotely like that. Ever.

a. I spent a lot of time on the East side. Personally, I wasn't wired like you.
b. Not even close to what happened with Hader. Apples and Buicks.

That's not really what anyone is discussing. Yes, people can change. That's not the topic at hand.
Please. I was raised as a "Born Again" Christian in an Assembly of God church. Lots of the fundamentalist teachings were ingrained in me. I also harbored some taught feelings about homosexuals, so in every respect (when I was in high school and college) I was homophobic. I'm sure I called people fags (friends who, as Michael Scott would say, acted gay) and made crude comments about homosexuals. Over the years, I went through an Agnostic phase, and radically changed my views on homosexuality and many other areas. None of these learned views of mine, mind you was in how I have ever viewed people from different races, but the general point remains. I was young, then grew up and developed my own views of the world which are radically different from when I was in high school and college.

Today, I'm Pro-Choice, Pro-equality in marital laws, etc today. Not because of how society has changed, but because of how I have changed.

It's completely asinine, and even offensive in my opinion, to suggest that because you never used inflammatory language about people from different groups, that nobody who has in their youth should be immune from criticism TODAY in the present from it. Especially when they have character witnesses to attest to that.

Your commentary takes people who might otherwise share their stories to further effect positive social change and makes them scared to speak up, as they would then be providing their own "social media" (thank god no twitter existed when I was a young man) evidence that they had backwards views. Very scary frankly.

There are no statute of limitations on non-crimes for a reason. They aren't crimes. Why on earth can't we accept that and not even feel like we have to forgive them? We should always evaluate situations on the specifics, instead of looking at everything in the big picture. Again, our times are very scary.

Also, where is El Patio in your list? Some great, though different, Tex-Mex of its own style. Man I miss their queso on saltine crackers. Puro Austin.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrothmanII and Hill
ADVERTISEMENT