ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (UT's Batman finally has his Robin...)

This looks like OB's first example of a "When is a "buy" actually a "sell" response", when explained.

"We don't have to agree with him...but he convinced himself."

I'm not persuaded CTH did convince himself. Or a majority of those who have considered the issue from multiple angles.
Agree to disagree. It's not rocket science. He explained his whys very clearly.

Which new coach do you feel will have the biggest impact this year?
If you had to bet how many players in each group will Texas end up with?0-1-2-3..
OL: Brockermeyers, Byrd, Roberts, or Foster
RB: Johnson, Wheaton, or Edwards
WR: Davis, Earle, or a 4*OOS WR
DE: Thomas, Jackson, Turner?
DT: Burris, Murphy, Gilliam, Page? We would be a dream to land and that would hurt LSU for sure but I don't see it happening.
LB: Blackshire, C.Smith, Willis, or Flowe
DB: Coffey, Washington, Ibraheem, or Wilcoxson from FL, OOS top player

Best odds to de-commit and a player we might steal from a team close to the wire?

I had a long thing typed up that was a good question my son hit the back arrow. ERRRR so I will try again.
1. Which RB does Texas land on signing day? Wheaton, Johnson, or let down other?
2, On the OL how many of the following players does Texas land? Brockermeyerx2, Rucci, Byrd, Walden, Foster, or OG Roberts?
4 kids plus the one they have would be the best OL class in a long time.
3. DL: Turner, Langston, Jackson, Ford, or Brooks at DE do we land 1-2-3 of them? DT: Do we land Burris, Page, or Gilliam? Do we land any of them?

4. DB, and LB. I will list Corner and Safety together. How many do we land from the following players?

Isaiah Johnson,
Burke from AZ
Harman, or Cooper?
S. Wilcoxson, Coffey,

LB: Smith , Cooks, Willis, and Blackshire

Thanks so much for all the hard work you put in.
This is going to take some time.

I'll circle back around to it in about an hour.

This!
It goes back to before Mack left. I remember wishing Mack would just involve himself with being the CEO and recruiting and hire some people to coach 'em up. Jeez
I can remember screaming bloody murder about what was happening on both sides of the lines back in 2008 and 2009.

I screamed to the rafters that trouble was coming.

I was labeled as a trouble-maker and over the top alarmst.

Reactions: OldBlood
Great and fun read, Ketch. Thank you.

I’m ok with where you have Kim on the BB/BCS top 10 but Mike at 9 is silly. The absolute lowest he should be is 7 behind Saul/Jimmy. Hell, I sometimes fast forward to his scenes only during a rewatch. Hector and Lalo are definitely in the top 10, but just can’t be ahead of Mike.
I just don't think his character has aged well on this show. It's not his fault, but there's a little bit of the DeNiro beating up the guy in The irishman thing going on with his character.

I guess you have to define "succeed." I think he's got a real chance to make a name for himself. FWIW, he clearly brings a significantly stronger player resume to the table than Romo did. He's also built up a pretty damn deep reservoir of goodwill his last 15 years in New Orleans as very charitable person. Plus, I think you mean voice of "Sunday Night Football," not MNF. Also, NBC seems to have quite a plan to groom Brees before he takes over for Collinsworth, including working as color guy for Domer games and SNF studio analyst.
Yeah, but Romo's not a success because of his resume. He's a success because of his personality.

Dandy Don wasn't a success because of his resume.

Reactions: magnahorn
Would be interested to know how Jake Smith's freshman season stacked up historically as well. Seemed like he was on a crazy TD/catch ratio for a while before fumbling a bit.
He was on his way to one of the best freshman seasons the school has ever seen... right up until the staff lost all confidence in him.

Seemingly.

Probably best to simply skip to dessert for the cobbler.
I feel bad. The Salt Lick paid me to endorse their product and all these years later, I feel like I've done the opposite.;)

- Great Batman analogy. Herman's view on Yurcich was very revealing. I also remember asking him who ultimately makes the call during crucial situations, and Herman made it clear he still is the boss, aka Batman.

- As a non-native, Salt Lick should never be in the top Austin BBQ spot conversation. It's like saying McDonald's is as good as Dan's.

- You have predicted Hudson Card will become Sam Ehlinger's successor since last year. All I know next year's offseason quarterback battle will be the biggest offseason story in years. You'd have to give me the appropriate time frame.

- What Simone Biles did was unreal.

- My friend did an Easter Egg hunt for her teenage boys yesterday. There was cash in a few eggs. These things can last as long as you want it to.

- Great Batman analogy. Herman's view on Yurcich was very revealing. I also remember asking him who ultimately makes the call during crucial situations, and Herman made it clear he still is the boss, aka Batman.

- As a non-native, Salt Lick should never be in the top Austin BBQ spot conversation. It's like saying McDonald's is as good as Dan's.

- You have predicted Hudson Card will become Sam Ehlinger's successor since last year. All I know next year's offseason quarterback battle will be the biggest offseason story in years. You'd have to give me the appropriate time frame.

- What Simone Biles did was unreal.

- My friend did an Easter Egg hunt for her teenage boys yesterday. There was cash in a few eggs. These things can last as long as you want it to.
* Batman lets Joker drive the Batmobile on days when The Joker is busy.

* Herman needs to have Herb Hand take him eating more often. Maybe it's good that Herman doesn't have the best BBQ list. He might be as big as me if he did.

* It's a great question. I need to think about it. Maybe going back to 2006 and VY left, which left Texas choosing between a true freshman and redshirt freshman at the quarterback position following its greatest player in school history.

* Biles gonna have dudes thirsting fore gymnists.

* Easter Eggs with cash? Now I want in.

Putting anyone ahead of Bob Odenkirk in the BCS rankings is ridiculous.

Putting anyone ahead of Bob Odenkirk in the BCS rankings is ridiculous.
It's a stacked Mount Rushmore.

Walter White is arguably the greatest character in TV history. If he's not, it might be Pinkman.

Saul ain't the GOAT. He just isn't.

How much time does it take you?
Not long at all, since I've done it so much. A few minutes. I portion out all the supplements every week into containers, which takes a while.

And I'll note that you'd need a vitamix or similar to make my concoction quickly. Plunking down 300+ for a blender is not easy, but I've easily gotten my money's worth.

Not long at all, since I've done it so much. A few minutes. I portion out all the supplements every week into containers, which takes a while.

And I'll note that you'd need a vitamix or similar to make my concoction quickly. Plunking down 300+ for a blender is not easy, but I've easily gotten my money's worth.
Does your creation actually taste good? lol

Agree to disagree. It's not rocket science. He explained his whys very clearly.

It wasn't persuasive football science either.

It's not true you can only run two running plays with 4 WR sets. You may block them with a WR who weighs 35 pounds less than a TE, but that WR may be faster, just as good a blocker, and blocking against a DB instead of a LB, for example (CTH's assertion that the D will substitute in a DB / go to Dime coverage).

Football science says put your most effective / productive players on the field, regardless of official position designation. That hasn't been a split out TE on 3rd down during CTH's tenure. It's Jimmys and Joes, not Xs and Os. That's football science.

I'd love to see David Thomas out there, catching 10 balls in a game for 88 yards and winning a National Championship. That's football science. Circa 14 catches, 145 yards, and 1 TD for a season by a TE is NOT persuasive football science productivity.

It takes more than asserting a thing clearly for it to be valid.

For the record I'm a big fan of really productive TE play. I'm a fan of the reality of it, not smitten by the idea of it so that I perseverate in unproductive TE usage when it's not justified by player production.

Meredith is my favorite TV football guy of all time. The chemistry between he and Cosell and Gifford was excellent and entertaining. I don't mind that maybe DM smoked a bit of sticky icky occasionally before the show. He was entertaining and knew his football.

Yes. They weren't going to say no to Tom on his first request IMO.

I was thinking the same thing about Major this morning...but I think Major may have crossed the line of no return with his shenanigans at the Fiesta Bowl.

Yeah, but Romo's not a success because of his resume. He's a success because of his personality.

As a non-Cowboy fan I can say what makes Romo stand out is his almost prophet level insight on play-calling all game long. Dandy Don was just a great personality.

For every Romo we have to wade through a dozen Boomer Esiasons.

Proud my question about his favorite bbq restaurant is getting a lot of play!!!

Have to say.... enjoyed doing this column. Hope it translates.
My kids are 10 and 12 still believers. Not totally sure they still believe but I think they are smart enough to know that the fun will end when the cats out of the bag.

It wasn't persuasive football science either.

It's not true you can only run two running plays with 4 WR sets. You may block them with a WR who weighs 35 pounds less than a TE, but that WR may be faster, just as good a blocker, and blocking against a DB instead of a LB, for example (CTH's assertion that the D will substitute in a DB / go to Dime coverage).

Football science says put your most effective / productive players on the field, regardless of official position designation. That hasn't been a split out TE on 3rd down during CTH's tenure. It's Jimmys and Joes, not Xs and Os. That's football science.

I'd love to see David Thomas out there, catching 10 balls in a game for 88 yards and winning a National Championship. That's football science. Circa 14 catches, 145 yards, and 1 TD for a season by a TE is NOT persuasive football science productivity.

It takes more than asserting a thing clearly for it to be valid.

For the record I'm a big fan of really productive TE play. I'm a fan of the reality of it, not smitten by the idea of it so that I perseverate in unproductive TE usage when it's not justified by player production.
I'm not debating you the merits of his argument. I'm telling you that he believes what he believes and when we see history repeated in the fall, we're at least going to know the whys behind the thing we don't agree with,

Not really! I have to focus on the healthiness to choke it down.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Walt Longmire
I'm right there w Tom on The Wire. About 6 episodes in & not seeing it, starting to lose interest.

At yours & other's recommendations (& considering the times) I'll keep on keeping on (but Lucrezia (Holliday Grainger) & Borgias has my full attention)

Reactions: jpatfarrell
ADVERTISEMENT