ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (UT's biggest declining natural resource...)

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
texas-9-638.jpg

Offensive Linemen used to be on this list, but over the course of the last decade, the position has declined significantly as a significant natural resource for the Texas Longhorns.

As Tom Herman and Co. continue to put the pieces together for a wide receivers and defensive back groups that should rank as one of the very best in the country for the 2018 recruiting, one of the elephants in the room for many Texas fans each time is related to this former tried and true natural resource.

"But, what about the offensive and defensive lines?"

Given that no one has ever invented a way to play football with 11 wide receivers on the field at the same time, it's a fair question to ask, even in the midst of a celebration over the latest potential game-breaking skill talent to say, "I do" to the Texas coaches.

So, let's talk about it.

There's no question that the Longhorns are in need of adding the same type of talent on both lines that it is currently injecting itself into the program from the nation's top receivers and defensive backs. Future seven-on-seven workouts in Austin are going to be out-of-this-world good, but in order to win titles, Texas needs its one-on-one battles in the trenches to match them. At this point, you can't say that with a straight face.

Why?

Well, it's complicated, so let's break it down.

Offensive line recruiting

1. It's a poor year for offensive line prospects in the state of Texas. Of the current top 20 players in the state, only one is an offensive lineman and I'm not even sure there's a consensus on how good Justin Northwest tackle Darrell Simpson really is (he's the only top 20 player in Texas with an offer from Herman's staff). If we expand the numbers, there are only three offensive lineman from Texas currently ranked in the state top 35, which is another way of saying that the truly big-time options from this state are very limited.

2. Texas hasn't really reached for players in terms of offers. The only in-state offers that Texas has handed out went to four-star prospects Barton Clement (committed to Texas A&M) and Chasen Hines (committed to LSU), as well as high three-star prospects Rafiti Ghirmai, Trey Stratford and Reese Moore (committed to Texas).

3. Of the out of state options, Texas has emerged as a possible leader for four-star tackle Junior Angilau out of Salt Lake City and has been able to get three-star LSU commitment Cameron Wire of Gonzales, La. to visit twice this year, including once at the Texas Heat Wave event last weekend.

So what happens?

The smart money says that the Longhorns will build around Moore and likely Ghirmai and another in-state prospect such as Stratford, while hoping that they can close with one or two of the out of state guys that they are in on. It's not out of the realm of possibilities that Texas could put together a Moore/Ghirmai/Angilau/Wire class.

If you're wondering, no, that's not anywhere near an elite offensive line class, but this is what it looks like in late June. A potentially solid, but certainly not spectacular group. That's not reason for panic, but it makes the position even more critically important than it already represented.

Defensive line recruiting

1. It's not a great year in-state for defensive lineman, although it's a much better year than the offensive line class. Of the top 25 prospects in the state, No.10 Max Wright and No.12 Jarrell Cherry represent national-level prospects, but both are off the board, committed to Texas A&M and LSU, respectively. Four-star strong-side end Bobby Brown of Arlington Lamar and four-star defensive tackle Keondre Coburn represent the highest-end prospects that are currently uncommitted and seriously considering the Longhorns. Texas is also still trying to gain ground on Dallas Bishop Dunne big man Calvin Avery.

2. The de-commitment of Oklahoma defensive end prospect Ron Tatum to Oklahoma was such a sting because there's no one of his caliber immediately around to fill the void. St. Louis Lutheran North Ronnie Perkins is probably the one out of state defensive lineman that's without question on the radar, and he could visit Texas officially later in the recruiting cycle. Outside of that, it's sort of slim pickings at this stage.

So, what happens?

I've expected Coburn to be a commitment in this class since December and nothing has changed. Very quietly, the recruitments of Brown, Avery and Perkins are starting to represent three very key puzzle pieces for the 2018 class.

If the Longhorns can nab a Coburn/Brown/Avery defensive line group and potentially sprinkle in another in-state guy to finish off the numbers need, we'll be talking about another very solid, but not spectacular position group for this class. Still, the Longhorns are a long walk away from that trio, which makes this area of 2018 recruiting the most opened-ended of any area in the class.

Ok, let's move on to the rest of the weekend.

No. 2 – For the record …

Number of Texas high school offensive line prospects offered by schools

Oklahoma: 5
Texas A&M: 5
LSU: 3
Alabama: 2

It's not just Texas that is giving the offensive linemen in the state this year a little bit of the side-eye.

No. 3 – Speed is like a beautiful woman... it's basically undefeated

I don't care what how big he is? I don't care what his ranking is. When I watch new Texas commit Rondale Moore, the only thing that matters is that he brings elite game-changing speed and suddenness to the football field.

I mean... 4.33 speed in the 40-yard dash and a 4.01 short-shuttle? Both recorded at the Nike Regional Camp? Throw in a near 43-inch vertical jump? Add in some obvious functionality on the football field?

Yeah, there might be 52 cards in the deck, but that kind of raw athleticism makes him the joker, a true one of a kind. He has a lot of young Marquise Goodwin in him.

p.s. I fully expect his recruiting ranking to catch up to his speed in the coming months.

p.p.s Justin Watkins has removed all things related to Texas off of his Twitter page. We're likely looking at one commitment coming in and one de-commitment going out.

No. 4 – Not that anyone is counting, but ...

Let's add the state of Kentucky to the list.

In order: California, Kentucky, Missouri, Oklahoma and Florida.

All states that Tom Herman and Co. have invaded to fill the needs of this class. Including the state of Texas, the Longhorns have 12 current commitments in the 2018 class from six different states.

giphy.gif

No. 5 – One more recruiting thought ...

By the time we get to Labor Day, I think the Texas coaching staff will have as much attention on the 2019 class as the 2018 class, if not more.

While four months ago, folks were wondering if Texas would hit double-digits by the state of the season, it wouldn't be surprising to see them in the 17-18 commit range by the start of the school year, which means they'll cherry pick (or attempt to) with those final spots and it'll be full speed ahead for next year.

No. 6 – Pulling the curtain back on my own hypocrisy …

Something that occurred to me this weekend.

When it comes to Texas running back Chris Warren, I typically hang out with the glass-half empty crowd.

When it comes to Philadelphia 76ers center Joel Embiid, I typically hang out with the glass-3/4 full crowd.

Why the hypocrisy?

With one, I wear my fan (short for fanatical) hat and with the other, I wear my non-fan hat. All it takes is a little emotional investment to create potentially extreme best-case outlooks in any sports discussion.

No. 7 – Buy or Sell …

BUY or SELL: If Rondale Moore was from Texas he would be the best slot receiver in the state?

(Sell) Man, it's close. His physical attributes are through the roof good and better than anyone else in the discussion. Therefore, no player at the position probably has his ceiling as a prospect. That being said, I'm not sure he flat out flashes as a player quite like Jaylen Waddle, who is as good as a pound for pound player, as anyone in Texas. I'm slightly selling very good player with out of this world speed against the great player with not quite the same level of speed and explosiveness.

p.s. - if you're wondering what 4.33 speed combined with 4.01 shuttle quickness, go look at film of a young Ted Ginn Jr.

BUY or SELL: Contrary to what most believe, the Horns actually have a decent shot at beating USC because of a totally new offensive line the Trojans have and lack of playing time and experience together?

(Buy) - If we define a decent shot as competitive for a couple of quarters before the team playing at home with the No.1 quarterback in college football eventually pulls away to win by a couple of scores, sure.

BUY or SELL: The 2008, 2009, and 2005 teams would have won national championship in 2016?

(Sell) I'll buy the 2005 and 2008 Longhorns,but that 2009 group always seemed to be playing uphill, even in running the regular-season without a loss. Neither Alabama or Texas was special that year. I think Clemson wins that game, maybe by 10.

BUY or SELL: Texas has at least three offensive and three defensive players named first team All-Big 12?

Note:I misread the question when I originally answered it. Here is my correct answer.

(Sell) Barring injuries, I expect Malcolm Roach, Malik Jefferson and at least one defensive back on the first-team all-defense. In Jason Washington, I trust. All that dude does is develop all-conference defensive backs. So, I'm in on offense. I just don't know where the all-Big 12 players on offense are coming from outside of Connor Williams. Maybe Collin Johnson?

BUY or SELL: Horns are .500 or better away from home in 2017?

(Buy) Really good question. I'm giving Tom Herman some benefit of the doubt, but I think he wins three games out of USC, Iowa State, Baylor, TCU and West Virginia. I'm very much on the fence with my answer.

No. 8 – Stunt on'em, Kev...

Dear Russell Westbrook and the entire state of Oklahoma, you can take your cupcakes and shove'em right up KD's... ring.

No. 9 – I double-dog dare you …

giphy.gif

Name a nerdier hobby than the one I've picked up in the last couple of months... Liverpool soccer card collecting.

It seems like a lifetime ago since I collected cards as a kid, but a friend since the 5th-grade led me to the water and now I'm drinking from the well like a camel.

The genre as a whole just picked up in the last five-years and in the last few days alone, I've communicated with people in England, China, Hong Kong, Norway, Russia and beyond, and this is fairly normal on a weekly basis.

I'm admitting this because I'm tired of living in shame. Who wants to join me in owning their shame?

raw

No. 10 – And finally …

68 days and change until the season opener, but who is counting?

Oh, and five days until vacation starts!

Last edited:
I think there s a comment in parentheses in the first paragraph ... the 'll Darrell Simpson is the only top 20 prospect offered by Texas?

Good work, there Ketch, and thank you for your efforts, as always. However, I'm pretty sure I've seen absolutely no paperwork cross my desk regarding this "vacation" thing. You going AWOL?

BUY or SELL: Contrary to what most believe, the Horns actually have a decent shot at beating USC because of a totally new offensive line the Trojans have and lack of playing time and experience together?

(Buy) - If we define a decent shot as competitive for a couple of quarters before the team playing at home with the No.1 quarterback in college football eventually pulls away to win by a couple of scores, sure.
Smarmy.

We've seen what TH and TO can do to top-level QBs. I'd say decent sounds about right. Doesn't mean a coin flip, but it sounds like you're discounting the possibility entirely.

Are there any decent prospects for the OL the juco route.

Gundy and Sherman when he was with aTm did a nice job of finding and developing prospects. Hope we can do the same with this group

@Ketchum First, you only posted 3 defensive 1st team Big 12 projections. That was the easy part. Name 2 on offense not named Connor Williams.

Second, few have "jobs" that most would consider vacation. The time away from OB should be considered work.

Last edited:
Good read Ketch. What would you predict win wise for home games this year?

texas-9-638.jpg

Offensive Linemen used to be on this list, but over the course of the last decade, the position has declined significantly as a significant natural resource for the Texas Longhorns.

As Tom Herman and Co. continue to put the pieces together for a wide receivers and defensive back groups that should rank as one of the very best in the country for the 2018 recruiting, one of the elephants in the room for many Texas fans each time is related to this former tried and true natural resource.

"But, what about the offensive and defensive lines?"

Given that no one has ever invented a way to play football with 11 wide receivers on the field at the same time, it's a fair question to ask, even in the midst of a celebration over the latest potential game-breaking skill talent to say, "I do" to the Texas coaches.

So, let's talk about it.

There's no question that the Longhorns are in need of adding the same type of talent on both lines that it is currently injecting itself into the program from the nation's top receivers and defensive backs. Future seven-on-seven workouts in Austin are going to be out-of-this-world good, but in order to win titles, Texas needs its one-on-one battles in the trenches to match them. At this point, you can't say that with a straight face.

Why?

Well, it's complicated, so let's break it down.

Offensive line recruiting

1. It's a poor year for offensive line prospects in the state of Texas. Of the current top 20 players in the state, only one is an offensive lineman and I'm not even sure there's a consensus on how good Justin Northwest tackle Darrell Simpson really is (he's the only top 20 player in Texas with an offer from Herman's staff). If we expand the numbers, there are only three offensive lineman from Texas currently ranked in the state top 35, which is another way of saying that the truly big-time options from this state are very limited.

2. Texas hasn't really reached for players in terms of offers. The only in-state offers that Texas has handed out went to four-star prospects Barton Clement (committed to Texas A&M) and Chasen Hines (committed to LSU), as well as high three-star prospects Rafiti Ghirmai, Trey Stratford and Reese Moore (committed to Texas).

3. Of the out of state options, Texas has emerged as a possible leader for four-star tackle Junior Angilau out of Salt Lake City and has been able to get three-star LSU commitment Cameron Wire of Gonzales, La. to visit twice this year, including once at the Texas Heat Wave event last weekend.

So what happens?

The smart money says that the Longhorns will build around Moore and likely Ghirmai and another in-state prospect such as Stratford, while hoping that they can close with one or two of the out of state guys that they are in on. It's not out of the realm of possibilities that Texas could put together a Moore/Ghirmai/Angilau/Wire class.

If you're wondering, no, that's not anywhere near an elite offensive line class, but this is what it looks like in late June. A potentially solid, but certainly not spectacular group. That's not reason for panic, but it makes the position even more critically important than it already represented.

Defensive line recruiting

1. It's not a great year in-state for defensive lineman, although it's a much better year than the offensive line class. Of the top 25 prospects in the state, No.10 Max Wright and No.12 Jarrell Cherry represent national-level prospects, but both are off the board, committed to Texas A&M and LSU, respectively. Four-star strong-side end Bobby Brown of Arlington Lamar and four-star defensive tackle Keondre Coburn represent the highest-end prospects that are currently uncommitted and seriously considering the Longhorns. Texas is also still trying to gain ground on Dallas Bishop Dunne big man Calvin Avery.

2. The de-commitment of Oklahoma defensive end prospect Ron Tatum to Oklahoma was such a sting because there's no one of his caliber immediately around to fill the void. St. Louis Lutheran North Ronnie Perkins is probably the one out of state defensive lineman that's without question on the radar, and he could visit Texas officially later in the recruiting cycle. Outside of that, it's sort of slim pickings at this stage.

So, what happens?

I've expected Coburn to be a commitment in this class since December and nothing has changed. Very quietly, the recruitments of Brown, Avery and Perkins are starting to represent three very key puzzle pieces for the 2018 class.

If the Longhorns can nab a Coburn/Brown/Avery defensive line group and potentially sprinkle in another in-state guy to finish off the numbers need, we'll be talking about another very solid, but not spectacular position group for this class. Still, the Longhorns are a long walk away from that trio, which makes this area of 2018 recruiting the most opened-ended of any area in the class.

Ok, let's move on to the rest of the weekend.

No. 2 – For the record …

Number of Texas high school offensive line prospects offered by schools

Oklahoma: 5
Texas A&M: 5
LSU: 3
Alabama: 2

It's not just Texas that is giving the offensive linemen in the state this year a little bit of the side-eye.

No. 3 – Speed is like a beautiful woman... it's basically undefeated

I don't care what how big he is? I don't care what his ranking is. When I watch new Texas commit Rondale Moore, the only thing that matters is that he brings elite game-changing speed and suddenness to the football field.

I mean... 4.33 speed in the 40-yard dash and a 4.01 short-shuttle? Both recorded at the Nike Regional Camp? Throw in a near 43-inch vertical jump? Add in some obvious functionality on the football field?

Yeah, there might be 52 cards in the deck, but that kind of raw athleticism makes him the joker, a true one of a kind. He has a lot of young Marquise Goodwin in him.

p.s. I fully expect his recruiting ranking to catch up to his speed in the coming months.

p.p.s Justin Watkins has removed all things related to Texas off of his Twitter page. We're likely looking at one commitment coming in and one de-commitment going out.

No. 4 – Not that anyone is counting, but ...

Let's add the state of Kentucky to the list.

In order: California, Kentucky, Missouri, Oklahoma and Florida.

All states that Tom Herman and Co. have invaded to fill the needs of this class. Including the state of Texas, the Longhorns have 12 current commitments in the 2018 class from six different states.

giphy.gif

No. 5 – One more recruiting thought ...

By the time we get to Labor Day, I think the Texas coaching staff will have as much attention on the 2019 class as the 2018 class, if not more.

While four months ago, folks were wondering if Texas would hit double-digits by the state of the season, it wouldn't be surprising to see them in the 17-18 commit range by the start of the school year, which means they'll cherry pick (or attempt to) with those final spots and it'll be full speed ahead for next year.

No. 6 – Pulling the curtain back on my own hypocrisy …

Something that occurred to me this weekend.

When it comes to Texas running back Chris Warren, I typically hang out with the glass-half empty crowd.

When it comes to Philadelphia 76ers center Joel Embiid, I typically hang out with the glass-3/4 full crowd.

Why the hypocrisy?

With one, I wear my fan (short for fanatical) hat and with the other, I wear my non-fan hat. All it takes is a little emotional investment to create potentially extreme best-case outlooks in any sports discussion.

No. 7 – Buy or Sell …

BUY or SELL: If Rondale Moore was from Texas he would be the best slot receiver in the state?

(Sell) Man, it's close. His physical attributes are through the roof good and better than anyone else in the discussion. Therefore, no player at the position probably has his ceiling as a prospect. That being said, I'm not sure he flat out flashes as a player quite like Jaylen Waddle, who is as good as a pound for pound player, as anyone in Texas. I'm slightly selling very good player with out of this world speed against the great player with not quite the same level of speed and explosiveness.

p.s. - if you're wondering what 4.33 speed combined with 4.01 shuttle quickness, go look at film of a young Ted Ginn Jr.

BUY or SELL: The 2008, 2009, and 2005 teams would have won national championship in 2016?

(Sell) I'll buy the 2005 and 2008 Longhorns,but that 2009 group always seemed to be playing uphill, even in running the regular-season without a loss. Neither Alabama or Texas was special that year. I think Clemson wins that game, maybe by 10.

BUY or SELL: Texas has at least three offensive and three defensive players named first team All-Big 12?

(Buy) Easy one for me. Barring injuries, I expect Malcolm Roach, Malik Jefferson and at least one defensive back on the first-team all-defense. In Jason Washington, I trust. All that dude does is develop all-conference defensive backs.

BUY or SELL: Horns are .500 or better away from home in 2017?

(Buy) Really good question. I'm giving Tom Herman some benefit of the doubt, but I think he wins three games out of USC, Iowa State, Baylor, TCU and West Virginia. I'm very much on the fence with my answer.

No. 8 – Stunt on'em, Kev...

Dear Russell Westbrook and the entire state of Oklahoma, you can take your cupcakes and shove'em right up KD's... ring.

No. 9 – I double-dog dare you …

giphy.gif

Name a nerdier hobby than the one I've picked up in the last couple of months... Liverpool soccer card collecting.

It seems like a lifetime ago since I collected cards as a kid, but a friend since the 5th-grade led me to the water and now I'm drinking from the well like a camel.

The genre as a whole just picked up in the last five-years and in the last few days alone, I've communicated with people in England, China, Hong Kong, Norway, Russia and beyond, and this is fairly normal on a weekly basis.

I'm admitting this because I'm tired of living in shame. Who wants to join me in owning their shame?

raw

No. 10 – And finally …

68 days and change until the season opener, but who is counting?

Oh, and five days until vacation starts!

Are evaluations of OL as easy as with DB's and WR's? What is the history of discovering OL's during their senior year as opposed to the positions that have more easily measured attributes such as track times, Jumps, etc.
Difference in confidence in evaluations of linemen from their junior to senior years?
Are linemen really later to develop?

Last edited:
Smarmy.

We've seen what TH and TO can do to top-level QBs. I'd say decent sounds about right. Doesn't mean a coin flip, but it sounds like you're discounting the possibility entirely.
I wasn't going for smarmy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT