ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Very good isn't good enough)

Ironically, I'm getting there with my passion for the team.
2011 against the Giants- the Dez catch that wasn't. That was the play that broke me. We're Al Davis'd until we're not.

Here's a late B/S submission:
Texas wins the Big 12 Championship in 2018 with the roster we had, if Sark's coaching staff coached that team all year long.

Reactions: Duanej6

So do we believe the kid’s story to his mom that it was a staring contest and he was trying to distract her? She is pretty engaged other than when the adult yells something to interrupt in the beginning.

@Ketchum , you give CDC credit as nothing more than a fundraiser? TBD on how their replacements work out, but he gets credit on Tom and Shaka moving on. And favorable reviews on their successors.

Saban completely dominated recruiting, pretty much from the jump, at both LSU and Bama. We all know what needs to happen for UT on the recruiting front. And the quality of portal transfers is going to need to go way up as well. I'm not expecting UT to make the Big 12 championship game in 2021 so the next class is critical.
Texas will win The 12 championship

No Blue Skies? Come on man. Seven Spanish Angels bores the hell out of me.

Hey, now that was a well written piece, sir ... interesting, entertaining, educational even, and kept my attention all the way through. Was kinda disappointed when it ended. Good job Geoff and thank you. 🙃

Reactions: marinehorn
There's a lesson to be learned here about not being so married to your original plans when the time calls for you to be flexible.

That's a life truism no matter what your profession is.

Reactions: Ketchum
Hey, now that was a well written piece, sir ... interesting, entertaining, educational even, and kept my attention all the way through. Was kinda disappointed when it ended. Good job Geoff and thank you. 🙃
Thanks for the kind words! Always appreciated.

Reactions: DKinnamon
Per the Falcons and Matt Ryan, their draft is likely a combination of QBs available, belief that Ryan still has his fastball, freak Pitts and a new HC, former Titan OC Arthur Smith.

Although about 1/3rd of Falcons fans wanted a 1st round QB, ATL must believe the best play is to build on status quo, address QB later.

Reactions: utsaappt802
Per the Falcons and Matt Ryan, their draft is likely a combination of QBs available, belief that Ryan still has his fastball, freak Pitts and a new HC, former Titan OC Arthur Smith.

Although about 1/3rd of Falcons fans wanted a 1st round QB, ATL must believe the best play is to build on status quo, address QB later.
Believing in hopeless dreams is part of being an NFL fan, I suppose. ;)

Reality. It’s so annoying.
It's not that annoying. Anwar likes to ask that type of question all the time. It's far from some revelation.

The reality is that if you have elite talent, which Texas has had virtually none of in the last decade outside of punter, you don't have to worry about these types of questions.

When you don't have elite talent, you end up having answer annoying questions.

Texas tied Oklahoma for most draftees in the Big 12.
Woo-hoo we won the tallest midget contest! Let’s add some context;

Of the total of 259 draft selections available in the 2021 draft;

SEC 65
ACC 51
Big 10 44
PAC-12 28
Big-12 22

For the first time in history, the Big 12 went without a first-round draft selection. For the 10th straight year, the conference (which has 10 schools, the fewest of any Power 5) had the fewest amount of draft picks.

Woo-hoo we won the tallest midget contest! Let’s add some context;

Of the total of 259 draft selections available in the 2021 draft;

SEC 65
ACC 51
Big 10 44
PAC-12 28
Big-12 22

For the first time in history, the Big 12 went without a first-round draft selection. For the 10th straight year, the conference (which has 10 schools, the fewest of any Power 5) had the fewest amount of draft picks.
Yeah, man..,. not good.

Herman almost did it in 2018. It can be done with these players on the current roster IMO. Elite coaching matters.
This.

We have gotten way too accustomed to seeing our talent underperform, and lose to less talented teams. While Ketch is right that we need elite talent to compete for the playoffs, we were plenty talented last year to beat every team on the schedule, including OU.

What we need is a little better development, but mostly we need a better offensive & defensive scheme to take advantage of our strengths, and better game plans to exploit mismatches against our opponents.

Talent aside, what we put on the field last year was not a good product. We were not fun to watch and didn't really dominate anyone, even in games where we were clearly better across the board. If we start playing an exciting, aggressive brand of football like Sark & PK are trying to do, I believe we will win games and be fun to watch. And if that happens, recruiting should really go through the roof.

It's not that annoying. Anwar likes to ask that type of question all the time. It's far from some revelation.

The reality is that if you have elite talent, which Texas has had virtually none of in the last decade outside of punter, you don't have to worry about these types of questions.

When you don't have elite talent, you end up having answer annoying questions.
I agree with both you and Anwar, but annoying may not be a strong enough word choice. For example, OU has recruited five 5-star WR and two 5-star QBs in the last few years, while we had of lot of WR drops in the spring game. We’ve got to improve our recruiting to beat them but will probably need to get there through player development first.

This.

We have gotten way too accustomed to seeing our talent underperform, and lose to less talented teams. While Ketch is right that we need elite talent to compete for the playoffs, we were plenty talented last year to beat every team on the schedule, including OU.

What we need is a little better development, but mostly we need a better offensive & defensive scheme to take advantage of our strengths, and better game plans to exploit mismatches against our opponents.

Talent aside, what we put on the field last year was not a good product. We were not fun to watch and didn't really dominate anyone, even in games where we were clearly better across the board. If we start playing an exciting, aggressive brand of football like Sark & PK are trying to do, I believe we will win games and be fun to watch. And if that happens, recruiting should really go through the roof.
The last steps are the hardest to take.

I'm not sure that Texas is nearly as close as some of you believe. The "we almost did it three years ago" mantra reveals a lot in an unintentional way.

@Ketchum @Alex Dunlap

You guys should do a state of Texas draft recap.

List each player drafted from Texas in order of selection, their Rivals rating, LSR ranking, and college attended with a sentence or two about them as a recruit coming out of HS.

Reactions: Ketchum
ADVERTISEMENT