ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Very good isn't good enough)

It's not that annoying. Anwar likes to ask that type of question all the time. It's far from some revelation.

The reality is that if you have elite talent, which Texas has had virtually none of in the last decade outside of punter, you don't have to worry about these types of questions.

When you don't have elite talent, you end up having answer annoying questions.

They have had more than enough to beat every school not named OU. That’s the point. You can debate it if you would like. But it would be foolish.

The last steps are the hardest to take.

I'm not sure that Texas is nearly as close as some of you believe. The "we almost did it three years ago" mantra reveals a lot in an unintentional way.

Excuses.

I'm going to keep asking that question until Texas takes that next step. Hopefully, for all us, Sarkisian has the answer

Yeah to imply the main reason Texas has not won in the last decade is talent deficiency is just dishonest. It’s simply not true. In any sense.

I couldn't agree more. The schedule sets up for a potentially tough season. I'm less concerned with the W/L outcome than with the actual product on the field.

I'm expecting an aggressive offense that will do a better job of attacking weaknesses in opposing defenses. I'm also expecting growing pains with a new QB and a lot of uncertainty in the OL/WR corps. Possibly some costly turnovers due to inexperience at QB combined with an aggressive scheme. But I'd rather the offense fail boldly than go turtle.

I'm also expecting improvement and a more aggressive defense, with some concerns at LB and in the secondary (the talent is there in the backfield, but can we translate it to productivity?) I also expect the D to be in a few sudden change situations as we work out the kinks in the offense.

What I'm hoping for is (1) cleaner, more disciplined play, (2) a more aggressive and fun style of play on both sides of the ball, and (3) hopefully a team that's not afraid to run up big numbers and lopsided wins when they get a chance. I really like that Sark understands football is meant to be fun - I want to see our guys play to their potential and have a great time doing it.

I believe everyone would agree. If they have been paying attention at all.

Reactions: styrbjorn
It's not when the player hasn't proven to be.

He's played one year of small school football and really hasn't played at in 2 of the last 3 seasons.
It’s pretty telling when just about all the analysts agree That He’s got the tools, makeup and Intelligence to be extremely good. It’s up to KS to coach him up and develop him which leads to my point he’s the biggest X-factor and the potential to be the best of all 5 QB’s taken

Flip when Cox and Wright were taken and all of a sudden it’s a damn good draft.
Not really. I'm tired of letting my bias drive my thoughts with regards to Dallas and the draft.

It’s pretty telling when just about all the analysts agree That He’s got the tools, makeup and Intelligence to be extremely good. It’s up to KS to coach him up and develop him which leads to my point he’s the biggest X-factor and the potential to be the best of all 5 QB’s taken
Lots of dudes have tools. He has elite-level upside. He also significant bust potential.

Lots of dudes have tools. He has elite-level upside. He also significant bust potential.
He does, that's why i think he's the X-factor of the QB class! It will be very interesting to follow his career and see if he can reach his potential

@Ketchum Ketch, why have you been critical of CDC? Not mad or anything but in all your collums I've never noticed anything being critical of chris?

@Ketchum Ketch, why have you been critical of CDC? Not mad or anything but in all your collums I've never noticed anything being critical of chris?
I thought his handling of TEOT was terrible, right down to his students athletes across all sports being asked to answer questions from the media about it and him never having the guts to do so.

B/S Bijan Robinson is a top 3 pick in the 2023 draft.

(Sell) The NFL just doesn't put enough value on the running back position to think that's definitely going to happen. I'd sell at Top 10 as well.

agree with ketch, the NFL is a passing league right now. the highest pick for a rb was 24 by the Steelers with Harris and i think a lot of that had to do with him being on Bama's title team. might be a bit overrated because of that.

look at the draft. before Harris at 24 there were 5 qb's, 4 wr's and 1 te drafted. right now the NFL values those positions more than running back. for Robinson to be a top 10 pick and especially top 3 he'd have to put together two monster seasons at UT and win the Heisman. he certainly has the potential but that's a tall order.

Rondale Moore is a bust, IMO. You heard it here first.

He's going to eat in that offense.

again going with ketch. Moore is perfect for slot wr with 4.33 speed. at 5'7" doesn't have the height for a true wr but AZ doesn't need him there especially with Fitzgerald at 6'3". say what you will about Kingsbury ultimately flaming out at Tech but offense wasn't the reason. Moore was Big 10 freshman of the week four times. Brohm at Purdue knows how to get slot guys open and so does Kingsbury.

anyone remember that Moore originally committed to Texas then backed out to go to Purdue? i think that had a lot to do with Brohm's hiring at Purdue who has his own track record as a offensive minded coach. and Moore is from Indiana so there's that too.

interesting that Colt McCoy landed with the Cards this off season. just the type of qb along with Murray that Kingsbury wants in his offense, accurate passer that knows this type of passing game and can make quick reads and get the ball out fast.

to this day i think Colt could have been a good NFL starter if he hadn't started out at Cleveland. anywhere but Cleveland. the Browns have been the qb killers of the NFL for forever it seems. perhaps Mayfield finally breaks that curse?

ADVERTISEMENT