ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (What I really think after 12 games...)

Hell, I think Ehlinger is likely the guy, but I don't know what that means. Like Shane Buechele in 2016

Neither Sam nor Shane should be leading the team next year. Neither have all the intangibles needed to become a successful QB. There are more requirements needed other than just being a good runner or an accurate passer. We need a good juco/transfer next year.

By the way what's up with the TH main screen picture? It's been used a few times and looks like he's in pain like bas gas pains LOL

Players were pretty unhappy with each other as well.It was a disaster.

I've gotta think Mack's seat would have been pretty hot had we not made a BCS game in 2004. We go to another Holiday Bowl and lose and I suspect he's gone.

Was really expecting one of those dramatic “the bowl game is a must win” comment. Basically what OB has been claiming since week 2. Proud you didn’t. No need suggesting the obvious.
I mean... it's pretty must win.

The year 1 comparison to cs just defies logic.

You’re just too smart of a guy for me to think otherwise so that leaves ‘agenda’ to me.

Maybe a piece of what you are writing is emotional and I get that but what Herman has done this year is definitely better than what CS did in year 1.

I guess the final deciding factor for you will be the bowl game but I have seen enough. Even after that dog ‘s’ tek loss, I feel different than any time under Charlie.

I still have hope...
You should have hope. I do as well. And you’re right, very little seems comparable about Herman’s 1st season when compared to Charlie’s, other than the ugly 6-6 record and the latter is defensible with Herman because of the 2nd toughest schedule in the country and how close Texas was to winning 5 of the 6 that were lost.

Yet there is 1 glaring similarity that troubles me and continues to linger after the dreadful 3rd and 2 play call, the decision to, once again, place the burden of victory on the passing of a pure freshman QB with a wounded psyche and a disturbing pattern of late-game turnovers. And to do so when Texas needed to burn clock and force Tech to use their final TO.

Stunning to me, Tom Herman has been Charlie Strong-awful at game management all season. Not just late in the game, but early as well. No time to cite all of the game-coaching blunders here. Just a few:

- Maryland: turning down a FG from the 5 early in the 3rd quarter, then an extra point, followed by the terrible play calls on 3rd and 4th and 2 from midfield, early in the 4th quarter trailing by 3

- USC: rejecting a short FG on 4th and 3 on UT’s 1st possession, with a rare opportunity to seize the lead on the road, a FG that would’ve given Texas the victory in regulation.

- Ok State: not calling timeout before the critical 3rd and 4 (to come up with a great play call and counsel your pure freshman QB NOT to force a throw into coverage) from the 5, then calling the most difficult possible play call for your young QB, a rollout L.

- Texas Tech: after a brilliant opening drive TD, a result primarily of quick, short passes, the O never returned to what worked (a disturbing season-long pattern of Beck/Herman). Then, the infamous 3rd and 2 play call with 2:06 to go from the Tech 30. Herman elects to put the game on the erratic arm and fragile mindset of his pure freshman QB, without calling time out to tell him to throw only if the target is wide open, instead to look to run for the 1st down with MAXIMUM ball security.

That’s 4 games that were HIGHLY WINNABLE. Instead, all 4 were lost. Smart game-coaching wins at least 3 of them. Disturbing.

Last edited:
And inexplicably they get the #6 seed. A gigantic “WTF?” Moment.

From ESPN:
“Texas is ranked No. 2 in the American Volleyball Coaches Association poll, has two losses (none since Sept. 8), ran the table in the Big 12, yet ended up the No. 6 seed in the NCAA tournament. And, if seeds hold, Texas will have to face No. 3 seed Stanford for a trip to the final four. Last year, the Cardinal beat the Longhorns in the national championship match.“
Sounds like a good time to avenge that loss.

Except this is not “first opportunity”. Evidence has been front and center all year. Some HCs would likely have either fired or reassigned Beck by mid season and fired him after TT.
Name one head coach that has ever fired his OC in the middle of his first season.

Shane's skill set worked in last years offense. Too much reading in this offense. I went onto MaxPrep and looked at Sam's stats. These are his total high school stats. He was hurt most of his senior season. He was ranked 118 Nat / 11 Texas coming out last year. Not a crazy large sample size. Can Sam ramp it up to the next level? It remains to be seen but I think he has the work ethic/desire and is a good enough athlete (strong arm/body type) to make it happen. If not, we have a couple really good prospects coming into this season that can push him.

This is Sam's total passing stats over a total of 26 games in high school:
Total Passing Yards:
Passing TDs:
Passing Yards/Game:
Pass Completions:
Pass Attempts:
Interceptions:

Total Rushing Stats (26 games):
1749 yards
Carries:
Avg per carry:
4.7 yards
Y/G:
67 yards
TD:

Reactions: I Hear Voices
Point 1 - it’s sad to be out-coached by Kingsbury but it happened.
Point 2 - Sam’s performance was not “less than outstanding.” It was Bad. I think he has potential but you have call it for what it is. I have to believe SB will transfer. Sad to see it but how can he think he has a chance when he couldn’t get in game after watching Sam’s bad performance.
That had to be very telling, to only get one series, even when Sam wasn't effective. Don't think I was sugarcoating Sam's performance. It was not in any shape, form or appearance good enough.

Reactions: eda5420
Ketch, any intel on CTH’s state of mind? QUOTE]
YES he is the MASTERMIND......
2017-Summer-Cover-Main-low-res-245x300.jpg

Where is the “lost the lockeroom” shit coming from?

Everyone is just projecting all of the last 8 years at Herman’s and feet and flippantly saying, “Fix this football program, you son of a bitch!”

I understand disappointment and frustration but the vitriol and made up charges are just bizarre and unwarranted.
I don't think he lost the locker room, he's never had it.

How many kisses have we seen this season?

I remember the 2007 season well, and this board was comical in its desire to replace Colt with John Chiles.

When we were down late to Nebraska, Chiles has to come in for a series, we ran a zone read that popped J Charles, and that was all the proof folks needed.

Then the following week when we got down big to OSU, I vividly remember the in game melt down threads wanting to dump Colt.
People basically pretend that 2007 wasn't a giant clusterf*** formuch of the season.

Keep in mind that Jamaal Charles was on the hot seat and many wanted him benched mid-season.

Patterson is obviously a great coach, but he is also hard to judge historically because he has only been in a big time league since TCU joined the Big 12 in 2012.

Since then he is 50-25 which is really good, but not all time great. Mike Gundy is 53-23 over the same period with one tie for 1st. 8 of Patterson’s 10 win seasons came in the Mountain West, C-USA, and the WAC. They count about as much as Herman’s 13-1 season. He has also never really won anything except the 2010 Rose Bowl. Great coaches win big games. TCU never really plays those big games.

Patterson is odd in that he decided to stay in a comfortable job instead of trying to keep climbing. He been amazing, but you have to wonder if TCU will ever be truly relevant like OU or long ago Texas. They have been a couple of years and stumbled each time. Patterson has chosen not to test himself at a big time program with the pressures that come with that challenge. That’s got to count against him in the discussion. Patterson may go down as the best coach to never win anything which probably keeps him from really being considered a historically great coach.
Gary Patterson almost saved that program by himself. It's in a major conference because of him.

Reactions: DrHorn98
And it's funny, some of our fans are still so eaten up and butt hurt about Davis, they completely ignore his success both before 2003 and after.

Beck OTOH, does not have that resume/track record.

So my question.

Does CTH have the ability and willingness to truly self evaluate and adjust/re-build whatever he wants to call this "offense" (a term I use very loosely) into something that better fits his talents?
It remains to be seen.

Pride is one of those seven deadlies.

Question @Ketchum :

In your opinion, does A&M become the new flagship program in Texas (not that we are necessarily at this point)? If so, does Texas claim king of the hill again in the next 10 years?

I remember the mid 80's when the coin flipped to the maroon side, and it feels eerily similar. We had David "CS" McWilliams bringing seasons of mediocrity (except for the WIT year) followed by John "TH" Mackovic the offensive "genius" giving us more mediocrity with a little false hope.

The admin over in Aggie land sure seems to see the revenue potential in football, thereby making it a priority, more so than Fenves & co. at this point (almost a billion in facility upgrades, 40M+ in new coaching search, an actual AD in place). I hear Patterson is the Ag's #2 prospect if Fisher doesn't work out. Either of those coaches would be able to take A&M to heights not seen since 1939. I'm not ready for the apocalypse....errr an aggie NC....in my lifetime.
Too early to get that far ahead of ourselves.

"Say whatever you want, but if A&M hires Jimbo Fisher away from Florida State with a contract worth more than $35 million, it'll be exactly the kind of hire I've suggested the Longhorns make in each of its last two openings. Fisher is an absolute guarantee on the box."

The dysfunction of the Forty Acres was on full display at the end of 2013. Vain, outgoing Mack Brown didn't want the greatest coach in college football history to succeed him. Mack first convinced new AD Steve Patterson that hiring Saban would result in Patterson eventually being fired. Then Mack, Patterson, and Mack's attorney Joe Jamail worked to persuade UT President, Bil Powers, that hiring Nick Saban would be bad for Powers' image and UT's reputation in the academic community.

What we saw then is the same thing Ketch saw at Bellmont now. Those in charge at UT are more concerned about their own personal interests than they are with winning championships.

Last edited:
Reactions: CutaneousHorn
We'll see. One isn't paying attention if they think Herman doesn't have some advantages in terms of political capital that Strong never had.
Oh, I agree with you on that point, but I think all college coaches at major programs are on the same time frame these days. You get three years or else.

Reactions: CutaneousHorn
I don't think he lost the locker room, he's never had it.

How many kisses have we seen this season?
Just like Tom became an instant arrogant SOB after the Maryland game, now Tom has lost the locker room after the Tech game.

Last week it was Kumbaya.

This week it's There Will Be Blood!

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
You should have hope. I do as well. And you’re right, very little seems comparable about Herman’s 1st season when compared to Charlie’s, other than the ugly 6-6 record and the latter is defensible with Herman because of the 2nd toughest schedule in the country and how close Texas was to winning 5 of the 6 that were lost.

Yet there is 1 glaring similarity that troubles me and continues to linger after the dreadful 3rd and 2 play call, the decision to, once again, place the burden of victory on the passing of a pure freshman QB with a wounded psyche and a disturbing pattern of late-game turnovers. And to do so when Texas needed to burn clock and force Tech to use their final TO.

Stunning to me, Tom Herman has been Charlie Strong-awful at game management all season. Not just late in the game, but early as well. No time to cite all of the game-coaching blunders here. Just a few:

- Maryland: turning down a FG from the 5 early in the 3rd quarter, then an extra point, followed by the terrible play calls on 3rd and 4th and 2 from midfield, early in the 4th quarter trailing by 3

- USC: rejecting a short FG on 4th and 3 on UT’s 1st possession, with a rare opportunity to seize the lead on the road, a FG that would’ve given Texas the victory in regulation.

- Ok State: not calling timeout before the critical 3rd and 4 (to come up with a great play call and counsel your pure freshman QB NOT to force a throw into coverage) from the 5, then calling the most difficult possible play call for your young QB, a rollout L.

- Texas Tech: after a brilliant opening drive TD, a result primarily of quick, short passes, the O never returned to what worked (a disturbing season-long pattern of Beck/Herman). Then, the infamous 3rd and 2 play call with 2:06 to go from the Tech 30. Herman elects to put the game on the erratic arm and fragile mindset of his pure freshman QB, without calling time out to tell him to throw only if the target is wide open, instead to look to run for the 1st down with MAXIMUM ball security.

That’s 4 games that were HIGHLY WINNABLE. Instead, all 4 were lost. Smart game-coaching wins at least 3 of them. Disturbing.
I don't hold any of the fg stuff against him. Not running the ball on 3rd and 2 is inexplicable, that was clock killing time. Of course, maybe Sam was supposed to run?

ADVERTISEMENT