ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Will Texas let TCU take its cornbread... again?)

I'm betting the North Texas coaching staff had to alert every referee on the field to be ready for this play and not blow it dead by accident. If the refs didn't know in advance that this trick play was coming, one of the refs would have assumed a fair catch was called and blown the play dead long before the North Texas player ever started running down the field.

Interesting comparison, since both guys went to Harvard.
The photos of him from yesterday did not scream, "HARVARD!"

Trends do change and maybe they have and I just haven’t perceived it yet. But if I am betting on a business proposition, I am betting on the guy with the most money to prevail over time.
I'd probably put my money on those with the best leadership. Sometimes it ends up being the same thing, but when it's not, give me brains and know-how over all else.

Here's a look at my Top 10 Journey/Perry jams.

10. Foolish Heart
9. Separate Ways
8. Who's Crying Now
7. Any Way You Want It
6. Oh Sherrie
5. Faithfully
4. Lights
3. Wheel in the Sky
2. Open Arms
1. Don't Stop Believing

Stone In Love belongs.

A Journey/Perry reunion would go well beyond "off the charts." Won't happen, but one can dream. BTW @Ketchum if you ever get a chance to see a Journey tribute band called Resurrection you should go. They were f'n great when we saw them in Fredericksburg. They are playing the State Fair the night before the OU game.

A Journey/Perry reunion would go well beyond "off the charts." Won't happen, but one can dream. BTW @Ketchum if you ever get a chance to see a Journey tribute band called Resurrection you should go. They were f'n great when we saw them in Fredericksburg. They are playing the State Fair the night before the OU game.
Isn't the current band actually the best Journey tribute band?

Reactions: TilGabriel
Isn't the current band actually the best Journey tribute band?

giphy.gif

But this one doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Reactions: TilGabriel
Totally agree with opening statement.

STEVE PERRY!!
HELL YEA!!
ABOUT DAMN TIME!!

Don’t disagree with his 10 songs you listed, however I found better ones on his Greatest Hits + 5 album than any he had with Journey or other solos.

Totally agree with opening statement.

STEVE PERRY!!
HELL YEA!!
ABOUT DAMN TIME!!

Don’t disagree with his 10 songs you listed, however I found better ones on his Greatest Hits + 5 album than any he had with Journey or other solos.
feel free to share the names of these magic tracks.;)

Ketch, you're just like the coaches, lets start the guy that averages a yard or two less per carry.

On Ehlinger, he had a couple passes dropped but also I was impressed that instead of throwing into a crowd, he threw quite a few balls away which has a big impact on his completion pct.

feel free to share the names of these magic tracks.;)
“Melody” is a really good one
“What Was” is awesome
“You Better Wait” awesome
“Missing You” awesome
“I Stand Alone” the best one!!
“When You’re in Love (for the first time) “
“Forever Right or Wrong (love’s like a river)”
“If You Need Me, Call Me” Nice one!
“It Won’t Be You” good one

During Sam's drought of 6 or so incompletions, weren't there like 2 or 3 that went off the hands or chest of the receiver?
To me, drops and throw-aways aren't incompletions. Yes, they count, but Sam made the right call at least 3 times to throw the ball away and go on to the next play. That cuts down on completion rate, but also cuts down on interceptions.

I like that he checked down. I know TH said the game plan was to trade completion percentage for long throws that had a chance to score, but dang the intermediate routes were open, and SE was hitting those pretty well. Also, the pass to LJH while sprinting to his right under pressure...man, he threw that perfectly to where he would be.

Ketch, you're just like the coaches, lets start the guy that averages a yard or two less per carry.
Watson versatility makes him a guy that needs to be on the field when Ingram isn't on the field.

153-33.

Some of you will dismiss my opening section this week as emotional hyperbole, but my response to that claim will be consistently short and sweet.

153-33

38.25-8.25

ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY-THREE TO THIRTY-THREE.

What Gary Patterson and the TCU Horned Frogs have done to the Texas football program over the course of the last four years is only about 10 times more emphatic than B.J. Foster's hit on that poor dude from USC on Saturday night. To give you some perspective about the level of ugliness we're talking about, consider the following ...

In comparison to Oklahoma's five-season period of dominance over Texas between 2000-2004, a window that defined Mack Brown's career before Vince Young forever changed the narrative, TCU has averaged more points per game (38.25 vs. 37.8), less points allowed (8.25 vs. 10.8) and a larger average margin per win (30 vs. 27) over the course of the last four seasons against Charlie Strong, Tom Herman and every player on the entire Texas roster.

I know Oklahoma looms in a few weeks, but nothing matters more in the entire 2018 season than the Longhorns putting an end to this TCU thing that exists. More so than any game on the schedule, this is the game that will tell me everything I need to know about what the 2018 season is going to look like.

Every player on the TCU team that arrives in Austin this weekend is anticipating that he can walk over to any Texas player any moment that he so chooses and take his damn cornbread. Why would they think that? BECAUSE EVERY RETURNING PLAYER ON THIS ROSTER HAS HAD HIS DAMN CORNBREAD TAKEN, MOSTLY REPEATEDLY!

You might as well call this the Cornbread Bowl and it's time for Texas to re-claim that thing that becomes lost when someone takes your cornbread. It's the only way Texas can truly take a step forward this season in my mind. This is the game that will determine whether the Longhorns are staring at 3-3 at the mid-season point or perhaps something better can be a possibility.

When TCU comes knocking on the door this weekend for Tom Herman's cornbread, how this Texas team responds means everything. Don't you dare let yourself pretend that it won't.

MadeupWeirdBlueshark-size_restricted.gif

No. 2 - The good and bad news at quarterback ...

Before the season started, I made the claim that everyone should wait until we're three games deep into the season before drawing any kind of a firm conclusion on Sam Ehlinger. There's nothing scientific about the thought other than it represents 25 percent of the season and seems like a fairer indicator of overall play than any single-game performance could ... good or bad.

Inspecting the data thus far tells us two important things.

The first thing it tells us is that Ehlinger has made some progress from his true freshman season, as his passer efficiency (134.88) is 10 points higher. In 11 of 12 quarters this season, Ehlinger has refrained from throwing an interception, which has allowed his interception percentage to drop by a 20-percent margin (even with the two disaster throws against Maryland).

So, there is some good on which he can hang his hat ... yet, there is some downside.

When your eyes tell you that Ehlinger isn't as accurate as he needs to be or that he's left some big plays on the field because of errant throws, your eyes aren't wrong. Ehlinger's 57.6 completion percentage ranks ninth among Big 12 quarterbacks. His yards per attempt ranks seventh. His passer rating ranks eighth.

In order for the Longhorns to win eight games this season with the schedule this team has in front of it, Ehlinger has to play better.

No. 3 - When your best leaders aren't your best players (Part II) ...

After calling out Tom Herman's five captains a week ago because of some very uninspiring play against Tulsa, it's only fair to single them out when the opposite is true.

Andrew Beck was more influential than he's ever been in his career.

Breckyn Hager was more influential than he's been all season.

Elijah Rodriquez might have had his best game as a Longhorn.

Chris Nelson played his best game since the Notre Dame game in 2016.

Anthony Wheeler scored the game-clinching touchdown.

Well done, fellas. That's what it needs to look like every week.

No. 4 - My thoughts on Herb Hand's work in the form of a gif ...

26Bk.gif

No. 5 - Last night was a statement maker in recruiting ...

Make no mistake about it, Texas A&M was able to create a recruiting game-changer with its game against Clemson last weekend.

Given the state of 2019 and 2020 recruiting, it was imperative that Texas find a way to answer A&M's flashy show with one of its own.

Well, in front of 103,000+ fans and one of the best recruiting visit lists the Texas program has seen for a home game in recent memory, Tom Herman and Co. accomplished the mission. Never has the program so timely produced one of the most memorable game environments of the last 20 years.

The evidence is everywhere, ranging from the comments from Texas commitment Javonne Shepherd to the actions of new UT commitment Derrian Brown, who made the unusual decision in the current era of recruiting to commit on his official visit (as opposed to making a video or looking for a way to boost numbers on The Gram).

Given the momentum that was built in College Station a week ago, it was important for Texas to send a message that the program is ascending the way the A&M program appeared to be last week.

"It was great. No better place than TEXAS. 103,000 last night. More than most SEC schools' attendance," Shepherd told Orangebloods.

Meanwhile, you had five-star Bru McCoy saying things like this ...

"The game and the environment at the game was something special. I mean 103,000 people, sold out, big game against SC. It was definitely electric the whole weekend.”

It can't be stressed enough how important Saturday night was from a recruiting perspective. It was just what the doctor ordered.

No. 6 - Compare and contrast ...
636449904910610635-USATSI-9576310.jpg

If you didn't have your eye on the Alabama game on Saturday night, you missed one of the scariest looking performances you'll see all season. Seriously, this might be Nick Saban's version of the 2005 Texas team.

Inside of a 62-7 win over Mississippi, former West Orange-Stark safety prospect Deionte Thompson recorded his second interception of the season and looked like a star in the Bama secondary.

That seems like as good of a reason as any to take a look back at the top players from the 2015 DB class in Texas.

(Rankings are from the Rivals Top 100 in Texas)

No. 4 Deionte Thompson (West Orange-Stark) - After nearly losing his college career for off-field issues, Thompson has finally emerged as a star for Nick Saban in his final season at Alabama. Was just a part-time player for much of his career entering this season.

No. 5 Kendall Sheffield (Fort Bend Marshall) - After transferring from Alabama, Sheffield as emerged has a key piece of the Ohio State secondary, ranking second in pass break-ups on the team since the start of the 2017 season.

No. 13 Kris Boyd (Gilmer) - An all-Big 12 performer in 2017 who is competing for national honors at cornerback as a senior this season.

No. 14 Holton Hill (Houston Lamar) - Was on his way to an all-American-type season in 2017 before his season ended prematurely because of off-field issues. Declared early for the NFL Draft and is currently a member of the Minnesota Vikings.

No. 15 Roney Elam (Newton) - The biggest bust of the class so far at the position. Pretty much a non-factor with the Aggies.

No. 18 Justin Dunning (Whitehouse) - Was forced to retire from football last season after injuries kept his career from every really taking off.

No. 19 Larry Pryor (Sulphur Springs)- The junior has been a part-time starter in the last two seasons for the Aggies, but has emerged as a true difference maker.

No. 7 – Buy or Sell …
BUY-SELL.gif

BUY or SELL: Texas is...... back?

(Sell) ...
giphy.gif

BUY or SELL: We will play to our opponents’ level for the rest of the year?

(Sell) I think it's still too early to say. Texas didn't play up or down to USC's level of player on Saturday, I know that.

BUY or SELL: Daniel Young needs to be the starting RB?

(Sell) Tre Watson would still be my starter, but Young would get a heavier workload.

BUY or SELL: If Texas plays as close to a complete game against TCU as it did against USC, can we win?

(Sell) I think Texas has to play an even better brand of football to beat TCU on Saturday. Ehlinger can't throw for less than a 50-percent completion percentage if Texas wants to win.

BUY or SELL: That was Herman calling the offense?

(Sell) I thought he seemed to be listening more than dominating the conversation when the cameras panned to him when the Longhorns were on offense. Tim Beck had more to do with the success on Saturday than some probably want to give him.

BUY or SELL: If the refs had correctly ruled that USC got a safety, UT would have lost and we’d be discussing another crushing Ehlinger mental error?

(Sell) Todd Orlando had J.T. Daniels' number by that point.

BUY or SELL: An argument can be made that two of the best players on the team are on the bench most of the game. (Moore and Foster)?

(Sell) It depends on how big of a group qualifies as "best players on the team," but I don't think either is a top 5-6 player on the team just yet, although they certainly could be by the end of the season.

The best players on this team are Lil'Jordan Humphrey, Collin Johnson, Chris Nelson, Gary Johnson, Kris Boyd and Caden Sterns (not in that order).

BUY or SELL: Texas offensive coaches will realize that their offense is more efficient in an up-tempo setting, and will run more up-tempo each game.

(Sell) I don't think that is the identity they want as an offense.

BUY or SELL: We have permission to dream big?

(Sell) Man, I took that Notre Dame game hook, line and sinker.

BUY or SELL: Each of the mods are given a one-time free pass from their significant other for a night out on the town. Anything goes NO questions asked.

They go as a group to the hottest nightclub in Austin:

B/S: Anwar hooks up with an 8+ UT coed
B/S: Ketch hooks up with an 6+ UT coed
B/S: McComas hooks up with two 1 1/2 UT coeds
B/S: Suchomel hooks up with coed that has a package bigger than his

(Sell) This very much felt like a Bill Simmons Mailbag question, so I thought I would reward you by allowing me to say, "And these are my readers..."

No. 8 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... Urban Meyer is going to be eaten alive by the national media this week. No comment ain't gonna work.

... Tulsa lost to Arkansas State and Maryland lost to Temple, which means I don't know what anything means any more.

... Oklahoma State is good. West Virginia seems good. Texas Tech might even be better than decent. All three have had excellent quarterback play. It's not rocket science.

... Tua Tagovailoa is as fun to watch as any college football player I can remember from the last few years. It just looks different when he throws the football. He's like a college-version of the pro-version of Aaron Rodgers.

... I came away impressed by both Ohio State and TCU after they duked it out for four quarters. Shawn Robinson just isn't ready to win a quarterback battle against Dwayne Haskins and that was pretty much the difference in the game.

... TCU’s team speed is pretty crazy. The Horned Frogs made Ohio State look like the slower team, which is pretty crazy to think about.

... Oklahoma can be had, but Kyler Murray has been absolutely ridiculous through three games. It doesn't matter that they have a sketchy running game because he'll just be the running game. He's not my cup of tea, but he's a baller.

... The Big 10 wet its pants this weekend. That league's street cred for the rest of the season is non-existent.

... Tip of the cap to Ed Oregeron.

... Which is worse ... getting boat-raced at home by North Texas if you're Arkansas or having this happen to you?

... Some NFL teams could have used Cameron Dicker this weekend.

... I don't know what I think about the Houston Texans right now. They just don't look good through two games.

... The Chiefs look great through two games, but you'll forgive me if I wait a little longer before pulling out my anointing oil. Folks were pretty gassed up by the start the Chiefs had last year, too. That being said, Patrick Mahomes looks incredible.

... Ryan Fitzmagic is apparently a thing. Like when Jeremy Lin went on a heater.

... The Rams look like the best team in football to my naked eye.

... In your heart of hearts, every last one of you knows that Josh Gordon is destined to be a Dallas Cowboy.

... Life didn't allow me to watch Canelo/GGG (Part II) and honestly it doesn't feel like I missed anything.

... Liverpool still isn't out of second gear yet in a perfect start through five games. The offensive avalanche is coming, hopefully as soon as Tuesday against PSG. Tottenham was lucky the Reds didn't hang a 6 or 7 on them.

... This is the most amazing thing that happened all weekend.

No. 9 - The List: Journey/Steve Perry ...

One of the most interesting things I read this weekend was this New York Times features on former Journey singer Steve Perry.

10. Foolish Heart
9. Separate Ways
8. Who's Crying Now
7. Any Way You Want It
6. Oh Sherrie
5. Faithfully
4. Lights
3. Wheel in the Sky
2. Open Arms
1. Don't Stop Believing

No. 10 – And Finally...

Just wanted to let anyone know that have missed the announcement on Thursday, but we've made some changes over at The Yakk after taking two weeks worth of feedback over the last two weeks.

1. We've dropped the price to $5 per month through the rest of the year. Just enter the pass-code "OBYAKK" when signing up.

41838083_10215961651367730_8421509837489176576_n.jpg

2. We're going to start offering up several free podcasts to Orangebloods members each week. If anyone has concerns about the podcasts, you'll be able to inspect what's happening for free.

Since the announcement of the network, we've churned out more than three dozen podcats and the feedback from those that have given it a shot has been very positive.

We'll have announcements on more new podcasts from non-Orangebloods providers in the coming weeks. Stay tuned.

Nice write up but a bit overly-negative about Sam given his gutsy performance and no turnovers. I was less concerned with throws he missed and more concerned with throws never made to open receivers as well as that really huge sack he took in the first half. Cannot make that type of mental error in big games on our side of the field. That being said, he made some really good throws over the middle, to our TE on multiple occasions and a few bombs. On top of that his running isn't Murray like but he will get us a handful of first downs a game at critical moments as well as a red zone threat given his TD last night.

Surprised you dont talk more about the running game needing to improve a lot more. I thought Young looked the best of the three. He is the only explosive back we have right now and as long as he doesn't fumble too much if it were my decision he starts from now on. Watson is not fast enough, but does show toughness.

The kicker was HUGE and he will keep us in games like against SC as well as win some. I think this is the biggest deal of our game. We had zero expectations here given how he was not used at all the first two games and to come out 3/3 with two of them 46 yards! Big deal.

Defense is still not really able to show off or not. SC was not a very good team and for the most part did not play very hard in the 3rd or 4th quarter. TCU is our first major league test.

I have not been to a home game in 2 years. The difference between last Sat and 2 years ago is night and day. CDC gets my MVP award for the game. The house was rocking pre, during and of course post. Student section was a major force of nature and its good to see young and crazy fans all game long on that jumbotron. I would love to see him continue to add on to all the good things we have installed so far and keep the momentum going.

Steve Perry is the the guy from Styx, not enough rocker and too much ballad for my tastes. Damn good voices though.

Speaking of bands in Austin on Friday night there was a trio at the Driskill who were amazing. Fantastic vocals and amazing guitarist. I wish I knew their name.

Any Journey list should include:

Loving, Touching, Squeezing
Stone in Love
Only the Young (Vision Quest)
I'll Be Alright
Still They Ride

Phenomenal band

Re:
Just wanted to let anyone know that have missed the announcement on Thursday, but we've made some changes over at The Yakk after taking two weeks worth of feedback over the last two weeks.

1. We've dropped the price to $5 per month through the rest of the year. Just enter the pass-code "OBYAKK" when signing up
-----------
Not paying extra for content that I should already get with a regular subscription! Some people are getting greedy?

Reactions: jpatfarrell
To me, drops and throw-aways aren't incompletions. Yes, they count, but Sam made the right call at least 3 times to throw the ball away and go on to the next play. That cuts down on completion rate, but also cuts down on interceptions.

I like that he checked down. I know TH said the game plan was to trade completion percentage for long throws that had a chance to score, but dang the intermediate routes were open, and SE was hitting those pretty well. Also, the pass to LJH while sprinting to his right under pressure...man, he threw that perfectly to where he would be.
Bottom line -- Sam still needs to play better. This can't be the level all season or Texas will be .500 team.

I prefer the extra yards. Watson is a good 3rd down back.
At this point,you prefer the extra 0.8 yards.

Watson isn't the team's best back, but his versatility allows for him to be involved in almost every possible line-up/scheme/formation the team wants to run, something Young doesn't quite allow for at the same rate.

Nice write up but a bit overly-negative about Sam given his gutsy performance and no turnovers. I was less concerned with throws he missed and more concerned with throws never made to open receivers as well as that really huge sack he took in the first half. Cannot make that type of mental error in big games on our side of the field. That being said, he made some really good throws over the middle, to our TE on multiple occasions and a few bombs. On top of that his running isn't Murray like but he will get us a handful of first downs a game at critical moments as well as a red zone threat given his TD last night.

Surprised you dont talk more about the running game needing to improve a lot more. I thought Young looked the best of the three. He is the only explosive back we have right now and as long as he doesn't fumble too much if it were my decision he starts from now on. Watson is not fast enough, but does show toughness.

The kicker was HUGE and he will keep us in games like against SC as well as win some. I think this is the biggest deal of our game. We had zero expectations here given how he was not used at all the first two games and to come out 3/3 with two of them 46 yards! Big deal.

Defense is still not really able to show off or not. SC was not a very good team and for the most part did not play very hard in the 3rd or 4th quarter. TCU is our first major league test.

I have not been to a home game in 2 years. The difference between last Sat and 2 years ago is night and day. CDC gets my MVP award for the game. The house was rocking pre, during and of course post. Student section was a major force of nature and its good to see young and crazy fans all game long on that jumbotron. I would love to see him continue to add on to all the good things we have installed so far and keep the momentum going.

Steve Perry is the the guy from Styx, not enough rocker and too much ballad for my tastes. Damn good voices though.

Speaking of bands in Austin on Friday night there was a trio at the Driskill who were amazing. Fantastic vocals and amazing guitarist. I wish I knew their name.
a. There's another level of quality that Sam must reach this season if Texas is going to win 8 games. Same with the run blocking in the OL. The competition is about to get much tougher.

b. The problem with Young, based on his usage, if that his presence on the field seems to be a huge give-away for what the offense is going to do, yet no defense has really been able to counter it That probably changes at some point if he's only used in the same capacity each week.

c. I think you live with a freshman kicker from week to week. Take nothing for granted.

d. CDC is a godsend.

Not paying extra for content that I should already get with a regular subscription! Some people are getting greedy?
Interesting perspective. Ironically, that feels a little greedy.

153-33.

Some of you will dismiss my opening section this week as emotional hyperbole, but my response to that claim will be consistently short and sweet.

153-33

38.25-8.25

ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY-THREE TO THIRTY-THREE.

What Gary Patterson and the TCU Horned Frogs have done to the Texas football program over the course of the last four years is only about 10 times more emphatic than B.J. Foster's hit on that poor dude from USC on Saturday night. To give you some perspective about the level of ugliness we're talking about, consider the following ...

In comparison to Oklahoma's five-season period of dominance over Texas between 2000-2004, a window that defined Mack Brown's career before Vince Young forever changed the narrative, TCU has averaged more points per game (38.25 vs. 37.8), less points allowed (8.25 vs. 10.8) and a larger average margin per win (30 vs. 27) over the course of the last four seasons against Charlie Strong, Tom Herman and every player on the entire Texas roster.

I know Oklahoma looms in a few weeks, but nothing matters more in the entire 2018 season than the Longhorns putting an end to this TCU thing that exists. More so than any game on the schedule, this is the game that will tell me everything I need to know about what the 2018 season is going to look like.

Every player on the TCU team that arrives in Austin this weekend is anticipating that he can walk over to any Texas player any moment that he so chooses and take his damn cornbread. Why would they think that? BECAUSE EVERY RETURNING PLAYER ON THIS ROSTER HAS HAD HIS DAMN CORNBREAD TAKEN, MOSTLY REPEATEDLY!

You might as well call this the Cornbread Bowl and it's time for Texas to re-claim that thing that becomes lost when someone takes your cornbread. It's the only way Texas can truly take a step forward this season in my mind. This is the game that will determine whether the Longhorns are staring at 3-3 at the mid-season point or perhaps something better can be a possibility.

When TCU comes knocking on the door this weekend for Tom Herman's cornbread, how this Texas team responds means everything. Don't you dare let yourself pretend that it won't.

MadeupWeirdBlueshark-size_restricted.gif

No. 2 - The good and bad news at quarterback ...

Before the season started, I made the claim that everyone should wait until we're three games deep into the season before drawing any kind of a firm conclusion on Sam Ehlinger. There's nothing scientific about the thought other than it represents 25 percent of the season and seems like a fairer indicator of overall play than any single-game performance could ... good or bad.

Inspecting the data thus far tells us two important things.

The first thing it tells us is that Ehlinger has made some progress from his true freshman season, as his passer efficiency (134.88) is 10 points higher. In 11 of 12 quarters this season, Ehlinger has refrained from throwing an interception, which has allowed his interception percentage to drop by a 20-percent margin (even with the two disaster throws against Maryland).

So, there is some good on which he can hang his hat ... yet, there is some downside.

When your eyes tell you that Ehlinger isn't as accurate as he needs to be or that he's left some big plays on the field because of errant throws, your eyes aren't wrong. Ehlinger's 57.6 completion percentage ranks ninth among Big 12 quarterbacks. His yards per attempt ranks seventh. His passer rating ranks eighth.

In order for the Longhorns to win eight games this season with the schedule this team has in front of it, Ehlinger has to play better.

No. 3 - When your best leaders aren't your best players (Part II) ...

After calling out Tom Herman's five captains a week ago because of some very uninspiring play against Tulsa, it's only fair to single them out when the opposite is true.

Andrew Beck was more influential than he's ever been in his career.

Breckyn Hager was more influential than he's been all season.

Elijah Rodriquez might have had his best game as a Longhorn.

Chris Nelson played his best game since the Notre Dame game in 2016.

Anthony Wheeler scored the game-clinching touchdown.

Well done, fellas. That's what it needs to look like every week.

No. 4 - My thoughts on Herb Hand's work in the form of a gif ...

26Bk.gif

No. 5 - Last night was a statement maker in recruiting ...

Make no mistake about it, Texas A&M was able to create a recruiting game-changer with its game against Clemson last weekend.

Given the state of 2019 and 2020 recruiting, it was imperative that Texas find a way to answer A&M's flashy show with one of its own.

Well, in front of 103,000+ fans and one of the best recruiting visit lists the Texas program has seen for a home game in recent memory, Tom Herman and Co. accomplished the mission. Never has the program so timely produced one of the most memorable game environments of the last 20 years.

The evidence is everywhere, ranging from the comments from Texas commitment Javonne Shepherd to the actions of new UT commitment Derrian Brown, who made the unusual decision in the current era of recruiting to commit on his official visit (as opposed to making a video or looking for a way to boost numbers on The Gram).

Given the momentum that was built in College Station a week ago, it was important for Texas to send a message that the program is ascending the way the A&M program appeared to be last week.

"It was great. No better place than TEXAS. 103,000 last night. More than most SEC schools' attendance," Shepherd told Orangebloods.

Meanwhile, you had five-star Bru McCoy saying things like this ...

"The game and the environment at the game was something special. I mean 103,000 people, sold out, big game against SC. It was definitely electric the whole weekend.”

It can't be stressed enough how important Saturday night was from a recruiting perspective. It was just what the doctor ordered.

No. 6 - Compare and contrast ...
636449904910610635-USATSI-9576310.jpg

If you didn't have your eye on the Alabama game on Saturday night, you missed one of the scariest looking performances you'll see all season. Seriously, this might be Nick Saban's version of the 2005 Texas team.

Inside of a 62-7 win over Mississippi, former West Orange-Stark safety prospect Deionte Thompson recorded his second interception of the season and looked like a star in the Bama secondary.

That seems like as good of a reason as any to take a look back at the top players from the 2015 DB class in Texas.

(Rankings are from the Rivals Top 100 in Texas)

No. 4 Deionte Thompson (West Orange-Stark) - After nearly losing his college career for off-field issues, Thompson has finally emerged as a star for Nick Saban in his final season at Alabama. Was just a part-time player for much of his career entering this season.

No. 5 Kendall Sheffield (Fort Bend Marshall) - After transferring from Alabama, Sheffield as emerged has a key piece of the Ohio State secondary, ranking second in pass break-ups on the team since the start of the 2017 season.

No. 13 Kris Boyd (Gilmer) - An all-Big 12 performer in 2017 who is competing for national honors at cornerback as a senior this season.

No. 14 Holton Hill (Houston Lamar) - Was on his way to an all-American-type season in 2017 before his season ended prematurely because of off-field issues. Declared early for the NFL Draft and is currently a member of the Minnesota Vikings.

No. 15 Roney Elam (Newton) - The biggest bust of the class so far at the position. Pretty much a non-factor with the Aggies.

No. 18 Justin Dunning (Whitehouse) - Was forced to retire from football last season after injuries kept his career from every really taking off.

No. 19 Larry Pryor (Sulphur Springs)- The junior has been a part-time starter in the last two seasons for the Aggies, but has emerged as a true difference maker.

No. 7 – Buy or Sell …
BUY-SELL.gif

BUY or SELL: Texas is...... back?

(Sell) ...
giphy.gif

BUY or SELL: We will play to our opponents’ level for the rest of the year?

(Sell) I think it's still too early to say. Texas didn't play up or down to USC's level of player on Saturday, I know that.

BUY or SELL: Daniel Young needs to be the starting RB?

(Sell) Tre Watson would still be my starter, but Young would get a heavier workload.

BUY or SELL: If Texas plays as close to a complete game against TCU as it did against USC, can we win?

(Sell) I think Texas has to play an even better brand of football to beat TCU on Saturday. Ehlinger can't throw for less than a 50-percent completion percentage if Texas wants to win.

BUY or SELL: That was Herman calling the offense?

(Sell) I thought he seemed to be listening more than dominating the conversation when the cameras panned to him when the Longhorns were on offense. Tim Beck had more to do with the success on Saturday than some probably want to give him.

BUY or SELL: If the refs had correctly ruled that USC got a safety, UT would have lost and we’d be discussing another crushing Ehlinger mental error?

(Sell) Todd Orlando had J.T. Daniels' number by that point.

BUY or SELL: An argument can be made that two of the best players on the team are on the bench most of the game. (Moore and Foster)?

(Sell) It depends on how big of a group qualifies as "best players on the team," but I don't think either is a top 5-6 player on the team just yet, although they certainly could be by the end of the season.

The best players on this team are Lil'Jordan Humphrey, Collin Johnson, Chris Nelson, Gary Johnson, Kris Boyd and Caden Sterns (not in that order).

BUY or SELL: Texas offensive coaches will realize that their offense is more efficient in an up-tempo setting, and will run more up-tempo each game.

(Sell) I don't think that is the identity they want as an offense.

BUY or SELL: We have permission to dream big?

(Sell) Man, I took that Notre Dame game hook, line and sinker.

BUY or SELL: Each of the mods are given a one-time free pass from their significant other for a night out on the town. Anything goes NO questions asked.

They go as a group to the hottest nightclub in Austin:

B/S: Anwar hooks up with an 8+ UT coed
B/S: Ketch hooks up with an 6+ UT coed
B/S: McComas hooks up with two 1 1/2 UT coeds
B/S: Suchomel hooks up with coed that has a package bigger than his

(Sell) This very much felt like a Bill Simmons Mailbag question, so I thought I would reward you by allowing me to say, "And these are my readers..."

No. 8 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... Urban Meyer is going to be eaten alive by the national media this week. No comment ain't gonna work.

... Tulsa lost to Arkansas State and Maryland lost to Temple, which means I don't know what anything means any more.

... Oklahoma State is good. West Virginia seems good. Texas Tech might even be better than decent. All three have had excellent quarterback play. It's not rocket science.

... Tua Tagovailoa is as fun to watch as any college football player I can remember from the last few years. It just looks different when he throws the football. He's like a college-version of the pro-version of Aaron Rodgers.

... I came away impressed by both Ohio State and TCU after they duked it out for four quarters. Shawn Robinson just isn't ready to win a quarterback battle against Dwayne Haskins and that was pretty much the difference in the game.

... TCU’s team speed is pretty crazy. The Horned Frogs made Ohio State look like the slower team, which is pretty crazy to think about.

... Oklahoma can be had, but Kyler Murray has been absolutely ridiculous through three games. It doesn't matter that they have a sketchy running game because he'll just be the running game. He's not my cup of tea, but he's a baller.

... The Big 10 wet its pants this weekend. That league's street cred for the rest of the season is non-existent.

... Tip of the cap to Ed Oregeron.

... Which is worse ... getting boat-raced at home by North Texas if you're Arkansas or having this happen to you?

... Some NFL teams could have used Cameron Dicker this weekend.

... I don't know what I think about the Houston Texans right now. They just don't look good through two games.

... The Chiefs look great through two games, but you'll forgive me if I wait a little longer before pulling out my anointing oil. Folks were pretty gassed up by the start the Chiefs had last year, too. That being said, Patrick Mahomes looks incredible.

... Ryan Fitzmagic is apparently a thing. Like when Jeremy Lin went on a heater.

... The Rams look like the best team in football to my naked eye.

... In your heart of hearts, every last one of you knows that Josh Gordon is destined to be a Dallas Cowboy.

... Life didn't allow me to watch Canelo/GGG (Part II) and honestly it doesn't feel like I missed anything.

... Liverpool still isn't out of second gear yet in a perfect start through five games. The offensive avalanche is coming, hopefully as soon as Tuesday against PSG. Tottenham was lucky the Reds didn't hang a 6 or 7 on them.

... This is the most amazing thing that happened all weekend.

No. 9 - The List: Journey/Steve Perry ...

One of the most interesting things I read this weekend was this New York Times features on former Journey singer Steve Perry.

10. Foolish Heart
9. Separate Ways
8. Who's Crying Now
7. Any Way You Want It
6. Oh Sherrie
5. Faithfully
4. Lights
3. Wheel in the Sky
2. Open Arms
1. Don't Stop Believing

No. 10 – And Finally...

1. We've dropped the price to $5 per month through the rest of the year. Just enter the pass-code "OBYAKK" when signing up.

41838083_10215961651367730_8421509837489176576_n.jpg

2. We're going to start offering up several free podcasts to Orangebloods members each week. If anyone has concerns about the podcasts, you'll be able to inspect what's happening for free.

Since the announcement of the network, we've churned out more than three dozen podcats and the feedback from those that have given it a shot has been very positive.

We'll have announcements on more new podcasts from non-Orangebloods providers in the coming weeks. Stay tuned.

Soccer is not my game. However, that goal was beyond "sick." How he was able to torque his body and his leg, to get that much on the kick, incredible! And, I am with you 100% on the season for the game vs TCU and Sam's performance. By my account he is leaving 7-10 points on the field every game. He MUST get better. Finally, I talked to my best friend, who you will remember is Nick's best friend, and told him it is not fair for Alabama to have a good to great quarterback with all the other athletes and Nick's coaching. He said they have already signed Tua's brother and he thinks Nick might stay for one more season even if he breaks Bear's number this year. I told him Alabama is the closest thing to a lock with Tua at QB. Your comparison to the Vince Young Longhorns was spot-on. One question if I may. Do you believe that Sam can improve enough with his passing for us to win this year? I just do not see him being that piece. I think the defense or turnovers will have to fall our way.

Soccer is not my game. However, that goal was beyond "sick." How he was able to torque his body and his leg, to get that much on the kick, incredible! And, I am with you 100% on the season for the game vs TCU and Sam's performance. By my account he is leaving 7-10 points on the field every game. He MUST get better. Finally, I talked to my best friend, who you will remember is Nick's best friend, and told him it is not fair for Alabama to have a good to great quarterback with all the other athletes and Nick's coaching. He said they have already signed Tua's brother and he thinks Nick might stay for one more season even if he breaks Bear's number this year. I told him Alabama is the closest thing to a lock with Tua at QB. Your comparison to the Vince Young Longhorns was spot-on. One question if I may. Do you believe that Sam can improve enough with his passing for us to win this year? I just do not see him being that piece. I think the defense or turnovers will have to fall our way.
I'm not sure with Sam. I think it's possible, but I don't know if it's likely.

p.s. You probably had my favorite post in the thread this week. Nice job.

Reactions: Jack87
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT