ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (With doubt in the air, UT created some belief on Saturday...)

We all shared many of the concerns heading into the game and frankly, through 2+ quarters, all those concerns appeared to be justified. Slow start on offense, wasted possessions, bizarre calls.

With one strike and a dive, the tide turned and quick. Orlando’s D was once again the spark that lit the fuse and thankfully, the offense finally capitalized.

To truly achieve what they want to achieve, the O is going to have to quit wasting halves of football games dithering.
We're on the same page.

LOL. I realize you whiffed on a lot for the game so like I said, I'll cut you some slack. The run game wasn't but it was quietly effective. Leave it at that and cut your losses. On to KSU.
quietly effective?

I think that's misleading. Texas was trailing 16-10 late in the third quarter and it was a combination of big plays on defense and in the passing game that were the difference.

The running game held Texas back for most of the game, unless those 10 points were somehow not representative of what the running game was producing.

Honestly, you should just focus on Tiger...

I beg to differ only slightly. The runs Ingram gave us coming off the 5 were huge. It jump started the offense. We are still not consistent enough, but we can get chunk yards in the run game that get things moving.

We need Ingram to heal up. He is the real deal. I know they promised Tre playing time to get him here, but Keontay need more carries.

I beg to differ only slightly. The runs Ingram gave us coming off the 5 were huge. It jump started the offense. We are still not consistent enough, but we can get chunk yards in the run game that get things moving.

We need Ingram to heal up. He is the real deal. I know they promised Tre playing time to get him here, but Keontay need more carries.
Define chunk yards? The offense had one run of more than 11 yards.

The run game wasn't a disaster, but it is still slightly below average.

It ranks eighth in the Big 12 in yards per game and ninth in yards per carry.

Our season is made or lost October 5th. Win there, then we can talk. Our toughest game after that will be TT in Lubbock. WVU is being overrated, yet again. OSU, too. TCU was beat in the trenches, not through the air. If we can keep our composure, we will fare well. I’m out for now.

Define chunk yards? The offense had one run of more than 11 yards.

The run game wasn't a disaster, but it is still slightly below average.

It ranks eighth in the Big 12 in yards per game and ninth in yards per carry.

Again, I only take slight exception. It was effective at a few key moments and that was enough to get us moving and force them to play us honestly.

Our season is made or lost October 5th. Win there, then we can talk. Our toughest game after that will be TT in Lubbock. WVU is being overrated, yet again. OSU, too. TCU was beat in the trenches, not through the air. If we can keep our composure, we will fare well. I’m out for now.
I'm not so sure that West Virginia is overrated. I've watched them a couple of times. That team is good.

@Ketchum - You're sleeping on Billy Bob Thornton's performance in Fargo. He played an impeccable bad guy. I'd also give a nod to John Lithgow's performance in Dexter. That scarred me for life. Great read, though.

Reactions: jpatfarrell
Again, I only take slight exception. It was effective at a few key moments and that was enough to get us moving and force them to play us honestly.
I'm just saying that there might..."might"... be some confirmation bias in Texas fans feeling good about what amounts to the second worst running game in the Big 12 by almost every measurable way.

Two more shows I've never seen. :(
I can't recommend the entire series of Dexter, because it fell off the rails. I highly recommend the first season of Fargo, though. BBT was nails. It's also an anthology, so you don't have to watch additional seasons to get the finality.

I'm just saying that there might..."might"... be some confirmation bias in Texas fans feeling good about what amounts to the second worst running game in the Big 12 by almost every measurable way.

I think that works both ways. You are pretty negative...understandable given the last few years.

It’s a work in process and the situation is fluid but it is coming along. The more Sam is able to make plays in the passing game the more the run game will open up. It has been a while since we have run over TCU for 5 yards and a TD. I will take it.

@RLong68 arguing with @Ketchum is so funny. You both win some and lose some every week. At least @Ketchum admits when he's wrong though it takes some time.

Well, in this case for the most part Ketch is not wrong. Our running game has been so wretched in the recent past outside of one year with Donte anything looks good to us.

That said I feel like the signs for continued improvement are there there was sparks against a very good TCU D.

Reactions: BobR
can you name an example? I mean if I tend to do it, you can rattle the occasions off,m no problem.

Merely asked a question. Very few people are completely objective about anything.

I think that works both ways. You are pretty negative...understandable given the last few years.

It’s a work in process and the situation is fluid but it is coming along. The more Sam is able to make plays in the passing game the more the run game will open up. It has been a while since we have run over TCU for 5 yards and a TD. I will take it.
I'm not being negative. I'm merely pointing out the data that exists.

Reactions: Topcat79
Well, in this case for the most part Ketch is not wrong. Our running game has been so wretched in the recent past outside of one year with Donte anything looks good to us.

That said I feel like the signs for continued improvement are there there was sparks against a very good TCU D.
Didn't say either was wrong but I agree with you.

We reliably ran the ball on early downs for solid yardage which allowed us to keep Sam in decent down and distance and own time of possession, which ultimately had an impact in breaking the opponents will. The stats aren’t great but the emergence of a credible running game is one of the biggest differences to my eyes between good Texas football and crap Texas football no matter what the stats say.

Reactions: HorntoWin and Perdy
All the mods have admittedly been glad to accept their crow after their predictions. Hell most people believed the same outcome. Throw a couple of jabs but then get over it.

I go on board as being pissed as everyone about the first game. But I have always loved how this program is established. The strength program is superb. The love is even greater. But the loser mentality persisted. I don’t know how far we will go, but this is NOT a bad program. On the contrary, we are as strong, as smart, and as well coached as any team. We’ve just gotta shake the fear. Step by step we are getting there. It takes time.

No they do need to read them, embrace them and want more. This scenario is all up in Herman’s wheelhouse. He’s got this.

1. ou
2. WV
3. OSU Still a good team
4. ISU Gonna be a dogfight
5. TT Not consistent
6. KSU Not a good team at all
7. Kansas ditto
8. Baylor ditto
Do y'all realize Baylor just killed Kansas?

ADVERTISEMENT