ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (With doubt in the air, UT created some belief on Saturday...)

The key will be Herman’s ability to surround himself with a top flight staff which he upgraded this year with the Hand hire.
That top flight staff will have at least 2-3 new coaches next season 1-2 on offense and 1 on D

We’ll allow you to get back on the Herman train this once, ketch.

... Old Dominion took Virginia Tech's cornbread (!!!!!!!!). Why in the hell was Virginia Tech playing on the road in that contest? The Hokies are scheduled to play in Norfolk six times over the course of the next 14 seasons. What. The. Hell.

Same reason UT would place at Rice. Recruiting. VaTech is in western VA. All the talent is in VA is around DC and the coast (Norfolk).

Will Grier has completed 71 of 95 passes for 1,117 yards, 14 touchdowns and three interceptions. That's a quarterback rating nearly 17 points higher than the one posted by Baker Mayfield last year.
And without all the douchebaggery!

It has always been apparent that you did not want to give Herman credit for having to completely change the culture in the football room. It was necessary and it is working.

What your analysis of the game failed to note is that Herman's call to go for it on fourth and one with a slow developing sweep completely changed the momentum before halftime in favor of TCU. We had it up to that point. Herman let the team down with that bad call and it took the team most of the third quarter to get it back. But we did it and should be able to compete in every game for the rest of the season as a consequence. WVU is the best team in the conference now and we get them in Austin.
Posts like this are why I hate the momentum concept. It’s just some stupid made up concept. If you look at the immediate possession following a “momentum shifting play” you will notice that rarely did anything significant happen. Why? Because it’s not freaking real! If it were real, there would be measurable changes following these big plays and not from some arbitrarily identified time that fits your narrative. If it is real, then results should be immediate.

Ron Prince was 2-0 against Mack.
I pointed this out to Mrs Native Tex last night. I was at the game in Austin.
What a weird day. Freaky thunderstorm soaked us. The alumni band outmarched the regular band. Nothing went right, then we lost to Ron F'in Prince, whose eventual ineptitude brought the wizard back out of retirement.

Reactions: RLong68
not really offended about all of the mods picking against us......but I had my own vision of how the game would go down and the gameday crew saw it the same way.

When some of you explained your reasoning for picking tcu was that they have our number and have beaten us 4 years in a row. Just don't understand that reasoning. In my opinion you should look at team A as it stands today versus team B as it stands today.

We win on paper in almost every category across the board....yet none of the mods on the Longhorn site thought we could win. It's more strange than upsetting. Now calling us aggie on facebook live......that is upsetting:)

Love the facebook live podcast.....it's a good way to wind down the day and get your takes. Some of them good and some that make us scratch our heads.

and Ramsey Bolton cut somebody's dong off......what do you have to do to make your list:)
I thought TCU was simply better than Texas. Period. I was wrong.

Reactions: HorntoWin
... Old Dominion took Virginia Tech's cornbread (!!!!!!!!). Why in the hell was Virginia Tech playing on the road in that contest? The Hokies are scheduled to play in Norfolk six times over the course of the next 14 seasons. What. The. Hell.

Same reason UT would place at Rice. Recruiting. VaTech is in western VA. All the talent is in VA is around DC and the coast (Norfolk).
Texas has never scheduled six Rice away games in 14 years.

I pointed this out to Mrs Native Tex last night. I was at the game in Austin.
What a weird day. Freaky thunderstorm soaked us. The alumni band outmarched the regular band. Nothing went right, then we lost to Ron F'in Prince, whose eventual ineptitude brought the wizard back out of retirement.
Texas learned the hard way about Jordy Nelson.

Reactions: NativeTex
Does anyone remember when people clamored for Gruden to be our head coach???

We take the old man in Manhattan this weekend then **** up the midget and the land thieves the following weekend. We’re just getting started...
We are not there yet quality and depth wise to be picked over OU or W. Va. but if these are the only games we lose we will be 9-3 and have made a giant leap forward and maintain or significant improved our future recruiting. Love to see us do better but, realistic, would be thrilled with this scenario.

@Ketchum, I have the same concerns about Herman’s football knowledge as you and felt like his unwillingness to lead the offense was a huge red flag.

I think Herman patterns himself after Mack’s CEO of the program style but tries to incorporate some of Urban Meyer’s toughness along with the Mack approach. If Herman can win 8-9 games this year he may be able to recruit his way to success because I do think Herman is a pretty good talent evaluator. The key will be Herman’s ability to surround himself with a top flight staff which he upgraded this year with the Hand hire.
Patience, grasshopper. This was a mental rebuild even more than physical; that is much harder. I obviously don't know your level of coaching acumen, but every game I hear people who have no idea questioning this and that. If Herman lacked football knowledge his successes at Iowa State, tOSU, and UH wouldn't have happened. We have to accept that the 'mental illness' that had crept into the program is more insidious than coaching can correct in one year. New players not contaminated certainly help, as you can see this year, but I don't see our problem as coaching acumen.

It has always been apparent that you did not want to give Herman credit for having to completely change the culture in the football room. It was necessary and it is working.

What your analysis of the game failed to note is that Herman's call to go for it on fourth and one with a slow developing sweep completely changed the momentum before halftime in favor of TCU. We had it up to that point. Herman let the team down with that bad call and it took the team most of the third quarter to get it back. But we did it and should be able to compete in every game for the rest of the season as a consequence. WVU is the best team in the conference now and we get them in Austin.

I disagree; it was a good call that didn't work out. They were stacked inside, a pitch sweep made sense. If you remember, the defense held, but the offense lost ground and ended up 4th and a bunch from the 5. Then the decision was made by Orlando (the ref asked him) to decline the 5 yard penalty on a 37 yard punt from our 5 yard line with 2:23 left in the half. Quan was right beside us, we asked WTH, he said word was they were afraid of a Turpin return. IMO, odds were better if we took the penalty and punted from the 10. Aussie rookie punter is inconsistent, but hard to do worse than giving them the ball at our 42 with over 2 minutes left.

Reactions: longhornms
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT