ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (You know I want to say it...)

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood succeeds because Tom Hanks is Mr. Rogers. It's in the top 10.

Shaka is a 2 time NIT powerhouse coach with nba lottery picks on his roster being paid as if he is Rick Pitino ...
This post season will define his coaching legacy at Texas. I hope he has a great run. But it has been meh so far.
Not this season.

Reactions: dattexboy
The issue is that for me and many more like me, the bridge has been burned. I camped out at the Erwin center for almost every conference game as a student, and I was one of the first handful of students in the OZONE's first ever game during TJ's freshman season. That said, going into this season I hadn't watched a single minute of Texas basketball since November 2018. I read every column and follow what happens, but the product is unwatchable. I finally watched about 20 minutes of a game earlier this season and had to turn it off it was so disappointing and discouraging. I am honest enough to say I will likely watch the upcoming tournament game(s), but I am expecting to see a very poorly coached team that makes bad mental mistakes and tries to win with talent and hero ball. I just don’t think I will ever be able trust a Shaka coached team.
You seem fun.

Gotta disagree a little with your assessment of Golf as the Longhorn's number 1 pro sport. Yes, there may not be a top 5 player like Durant, but the shear numbers are pretty strong:

1) Five major champions (Crenshaw, Kite, Leonard, Spieth, Mark Brooks)
2) Numerous PGA Tour Winners, no small feat (Those 5 above plus Phil Blackmar, Johnny Vegas, Bob Estes, Wes Ellis, Harrison Frazar, Cody Gribble, Rik Massengale, Wes Short, Brandel Chamblee)
3) Current tour players .... 7 competed in the Players Championship, 5 made the cut (Grim, Spieth, Vegas, Fratelli, Hickok) Scheffler & Hossler missed cut.
4) Yes, we sent a number of basketball players to the pros, some decent players, but mostly journeymen, besides Duran and I'll give you Slater Martin if you want to go back that far, although I would rate Crenshaw, Kite & Spieth well ahead of him in terms of impact on the sport.

That your sentiment was so low in the midst of us having our best football season since Colt, probably says more about you as a person than it does about Shaka or the program — which has been excellent and fun to watch this year.

Hook Em
It was simply watching us build a 34-16 lead against Michigan State, then watching us go 8-40 from the field the rest of the way, being completely outclassed in every way imaginable. That was the breaking point in which I decided it was better for me to just not watch anymore. I tried again this year against Tech in Austin, and an eerily similar thing happened: we blew another lead while being inept and completely out-coached. It's ironic that Shaka has created the exact apathy that is the reason he wasn't fired... nobody really cares anymore.

Regarding @ellie44’s question about UT golf, I imagine @Ketchum literally has zero clue that Texas is the only school to have a grand slam pieced together by 4 different golfers. Texas has more golfers in the Hall of Fame than basketball does and that doesn’t include Spieth who literally has already met requirements for entry. For @Ketchum to argue basketball over and add a “not even close” is pretty ignorant.

Can’t get head around 25 out of 26 Baylor wins over UT? Kim Mulkey says hold her beer. I remember when she just wasn’t the right fit at UT. Still isn’t I guess.

No Philadelphia on Hank list?

You've missed one hell of a fun season.
Didn't seem that way reading the columns from Dustin, or hearing you guys on the podcast joking about "we don't really need to get into the Shaka/basketball discussion, do we?" Blowing big leads, mental mistakes, bad basketball, team leaders having near fist fights on the sidelines. Just because the ending was fun doesn't change the fact that in the middle of it nobody was enjoying it.

Gotta disagree a little with your assessment of Golf as the Longhorn's number 1 pro sport. Yes, there may not be a top 5 player like Durant, but the shear numbers are pretty strong:

1) Five major champions (Crenshaw, Kite, Leonard, Spieth, Mark Brooks)
2) Numerous PGA Tour Winners, no small feat (Those 5 above plus Phil Blackmar, Johnny Vegas, Bob Estes, Wes Ellis, Harrison Frazar, Cody Gribble, Rik Massengale, Wes Short, Brandel Chamblee)
3) Current tour players .... 7 competed in the Players Championship, 5 made the cut (Grim, Spieth, Vegas, Fratelli, Hickok) Scheffler & Hossler missed cut.
4) Yes, we sent a number of basketball players to the pros, some decent players, but mostly journeymen, besides Duran and I'll give you Slater Martin if you want to go back that far, although I would rate Crenshaw, Kite & Spieth well ahead of him in terms of impact on the sport.
I didn't say the numbers weren't strong.

But, it's not even worth comparing to football IMO.

Tom Hanks deserve more than top 10. You left out Philadelphia which he won Best Actor. Hard to leave off Sully and Charlie Wilson’s War,

It was simply watching us build a 34-16 lead against Michigan State, then watching us go 8-40 from the field the rest of the way, being completely outclassed in every way imaginable. That was the breaking point in which I decided it was better for me to just not watch anymore. I tried again this year against Tech in Austin, and an eerily similar thing happened: we blew another lead while being inept and completely out-coached. It's ironic that Shaka has created the exact apathy that is the reason he wasn't fired... nobody really cares anymore.
Maybe basketball isn't your sport?

Top 10 list of Tom Hanks movies and no Philadelphia? Lol. Talk about a total fail on multiple levels. And clearly ZERO understanding of what Philadelphia did for Hanks’ career.

Top 10 list of Tom Hanks movies and no Philadelphia? Lol. Talk about a total fail on multiple levels. And clearly ZERO understanding of what Philadelphia did for Hanks’ career.
Or I just didn't think it was one of his top 10 movies in 2021.

It's no You've Got Mail.

Every time I watch Sleepless I think “Meg who?”.
3dFR.gif

You've missed one hell of a fun season.
You knew the anti-Shaka crowd would come out for you. Like most of us, I had been disappointed in the results coming into this year and was questioning whether he could get it done. At the same time, I realized we had everything other than the locust plague happen during some of these years. So many critical injuries and illnesses at the exact wrong time.
Count me in the crowd that thinks Shaka has done a good job this year. I believe he out coached the opposition in several games. Switching to the best defensive group at the Tech game was gutsy and the right move. Going with a big man screen game against the OSU zone. They have been very fun to watch. Finally seeing Simms realize he can make offensive moves is a cherry on the top of the sundae. Now, if they can keep it together for the big tournament. Maybe Shaka needs to keep the hairdo as his lucky rabbits foot.

ADVERTISEMENT