ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (You know I want to say it...)

Holy s***. Victory lap? Tap the godforsaken brakes. Great weekend for the team, but victory lap? LOL have we been watching a different sport since 2015?
He’s 0-2 in NCAA games at Texas. The idea that getting a 3 seed here in his sixth year should result in any gloating is absurd.

I was a fan of the hire and like the guy, but he’d have to have several years in a row like this one, with commensurate results in the Tournamenr, before @Ketchum should consider pounding his chest.

Reactions: DanielSucks
He’s 0-2 in NCAA games at Texas. The idea that getting a 3 seed here in his sixth year should result in any gloating is absurd.

I was a fan of the hire and like the guy, but he’d have to have several years in a row like this one, with commensurate results in the Tournamenr, before @Ketchum should consider pounding his chest.
I didn't pound my chest. I just made fun of myself a little.

Tom Kite went to my high school. He won a single major and had 19 tour wins.

Historically, he's not an all-time guy.
HOW CAN YOU NOT BE AN ALL TIME GUY if you are the all time money winner? His record is superior to Ben's when considering longevity and there are only a few "All Time Money Winners" in any sport ???????????????

When the truth comes out about #9, soon, it’s going to shock the world. A lot of people will cry

Having to wait 3 years before finding anything that feels like justification tells me how wrong your original column was.

Not as a player, yet.

As a prospect for the next level? Sure, he can.

You have been doing the recruiting game a lot longer than I have. I love your breakdowns of star levels and the draft. However, I thought as a base line, a player needs to dominate his competition in high school to be worthy of scholarship offer at a top end program.

With that in mind, how many players end up being studs in college that were unable to win starting job until their junior year of high school and were not able to dominate their competition?

You have been doing the recruiting game a lot longer than I have. I love your breakdowns of star levels and the draft. However, I thought as a base line, a player needs to dominate his competition in high school to be worthy of scholarship offer at a top end program.

With that in mind, how many players end up being studs in college that were unable to win starting job until their junior year of high school and were not able to dominate their competition?
I mostly think about Jonathan Scott when I think about this.

People used to point out that he never won all-district as a high school player.

I think as a general rule of thumb, your point is valid.

I'll be honest in that I've never quite seen anything like Murphy as a quarterback prospect. The circumstances of his recruitment are 1 in a million.

You don't get to where he is without being damn good.
And where is he?

.536 winning percentage at Texas.
.477 winning percentage in the Big12.
Has yet to make it past the 1st round in the tournament that matters.
In the season following that column, his team failed to make the NCAA tournament (But won the NIT!) for the 2nd time since he became Texas' coach (which is 1 more time than Rick Barnes during his 17 seasons with Texas).

Shaka didn't take over a program that was in shambles. The powers that be grew tired of Barnes not making it past the 2nd round of the tourney. Since Shaka was hired, would you say he has improved the program he took over, made it worse or kept it about the same?

Or maybe we just disagree on what "damn good" is.

Reactions: DanielSucks
And where is he?

.536 winning percentage at Texas.
.477 winning percentage in the Big12.
Has yet to make it past the 1st round in the tournament that matters.
In the season following that column, his team failed to make the NCAA tournament (But won the NIT!) for the 2nd time since he became Texas' coach (which is 1 more time than Rick Barnes during his 17 seasons with Texas).

Shaka didn't take over a program that was in shambles. The powers that be grew tired of Barnes not making it past the 2nd round of the tourney. Since Shaka was hired, would you say he has improved the program he took over, made it worse or kept it about the same?

Or maybe we just disagree on what "damn good" is.

5 - average
6 - good
7 - very good
8 - damn good
9 - great
10 - Alien

You don't make a Final Four at a mid-major, get to the NCAA Tournament nearly 70-percent of career seasons, land 5 stars in recruiting and cut down the nets as Big 12 Tournament champion.... without being damn good at your job.

I could live with Philadelphia being in and Toy Story being out, but it wasn't a performances list... it was a movies list.

If it's a performances list, the entire list gets a shake-up.
Fair. I still think Gump is at the top of that list

commitments?
What's your guess? I would have thought the OL from Austin would have already committed and they would have added a WR after losing such a big target. I messed up and looked at the recruiting top 40 WR and saw OU has number 1, 4, and 20. We have some major catching up to do.

What's your guess? I would have thought the OL from Austin would have already committed and they would have added a WR after losing such a big target. I messed up and looked at the recruiting top 40 WR and saw OU has number 1, 4, and 20. We have some major catching up to do.
I think a lot of kids are waiting to see if they can take visits beginning in June.

This is the first class ever to be made up almost entirely of kids that have never taken visits to the schools they are interested in.

I don't know how to quantify the impact of this anomaly.

It's like 76ish days until June. If you were 17, wouldn't you wait it out for a few weeks and months so that you could take some visits?

p.s. I kind of agree with you on the Ol from Westlake, but I'd slow play that if I was Texas. JMO. I think there's every chance that we'll get to the end of this class and view his possible commitment as the least historically valuable of the OL class.

p.s. I kind of agree with you on the Ol from Westlake, but I'd slow play that if I was Texas. JMO. I think there's every chance that we'll get to the end of this class and view his possible commitment as the least historically valuable of the OL class.
I would rather take him as a 6th OL since most of the top guys are OT and he might end up as a OG. It sucks that OU is kicking our butt again on and off the field.

I would rather take him as a 6th OL since most of the top guys are OT and he might end up as a OG. It sucks that OU is kicking our butt again on and off the field.
I see most of the guys being talked about as tackles actually being guards in college, including all of the big three.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT