ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
“The Longhorns probably aren't any closer to really knowing who the starting quarterback is going to be in September than they were at the beginning of spring drills. Both players flashed potential, but they each made a couple glaring mistakes with the interceptions that were thrown. Basically, they looked like a couple freshmen that are still trying to find their way. If the coaching staff or the fans were hoping for an answer to the question of who will emerge as the starter in September, they were probably disappointed, but this was to be expected at this stage of the game. The real battle at this position will take place in earnest this summer when the team begins seven-on-seven drills.”

379554.jpg

Nine years ago, that was my take on the quarterback battle between Colt McCoy and Jevan Snead coming out of the spring game.

Deadlocked.

All these years later, it’s easy to forget some of the small details of a jersey-retiring career, but before McCoy emerged as a freshman all-American during his redshirt freshman season, he was neck-deep in competition with Snead, a competition many assumed that he was destined to lose.

After all, Snead was seen as a recruiting blue-chip savior when he signed his letter of intent that year and he was seen by almost everyone as the player with the most upside. It was 50-50 coming out of the spring … a total coin-flip.

Yet, by the time the team arrived for camp that August, it was clear to almost everyone following the team that McCoy had taken the job and made it his before another full-padded workout ever took place. When almost no one was watching, McCoy took complete control of the team during summer workouts.

McCoy opened the gates to practice and closed them. McCoy picked up teammates that needed rides to practice. McCoy dedicated himself to his craft. By the time the coaches got a second look at the players, McCoy had turned a 50-50 battle into a 65-13 beat-down. No decision really even needed to be made because it had become that clear to everyone watching.

The former three-star from Jim Ned High School just flat out took the damn job.

I present to you this history lesson on Longhorn football because as the 2015 Longhorns head into the searing heat of summer workouts, exactly the same situation at quarterback exists once more. While I firmly believe that both Tyrone Swoopes and Jerrod Heard will play in the opener at Notre Dame, it doesn’t have to be that way, as a 50-50 battle can turn into a lopsided romp if ... if … IF … either Swoopes or Heard just takes the damn job this summer.

If I’m Swoopes or Heard, I’m looking at what the other guy is doing and I’m forever doing more. If the other guy calls 10 players to organize an off-season workout, I’m calling 20. If he drives three guys to practice, I’m driving six. If he takes three reps, I want six. That’s how McCoy did it in 2006, as he willed his way to the starting position by doing everything he could to look like he was the starting quarterback. Believe me, because I watched it happen in workouts before being banned from the summer practice fields for the first time in my career.

Want-to meant everything that season and in a battle as close as the 2015 starting quarterback derby, it can mean everything in the final 3 ½ months before an official decision is made. The question I have about both Swoopes and Heard is whether either of them wants it as bad as McCoy wanted it back in 2006?

If the answer is yes, we’ll know before Big 12 Media Days who the likely full-time starter will be.

If the answer is no, Charlie Strong will have a much bigger problem at hand.

No. 2 – Scattershooting on the Longhorns …

… I’ve been saying it for months, but Sachse wide receiver Devin Duvernay, who won the state 6A 100-meters title this weekend with a time of 10.27 seconds, might be the most important non-quarterback target in the 2016 recruiting class for Charlie Strong. This kid would immediately change the Texas offense with his speed and play-making skills. It’s time for Rivals to start having a five-star discussion about this kid.

… Prediction: If the Longhorns land 2016 Trophy Club Byron Nelson defensive end Brandon Bowen, Charlie Strong will turn him into a first-round draft choice, barring injuries or off-the-field knuckleheadness.

… State Top 10 (from the 2016 Class) defensive tackle Ed Oliver currently lists Houston as his favorite. It’s possible that I’m getting really old, but I can’t remember the last time Houston signed a top-25 prospect from the state, let alone a top-10 prospect. Anyone want to dare to help me out here?

… I don’t know what is holding up things, but it’s probably time for 2017 La Grange running back J.K. Dobbins to receive an offer. If Texas is his childhood dream school, it might benefit all things burnt orange to keep it that way.

… Since it sounds like 2016 defensive end Mark Jackson of Cibolo Steele might be the next prospect that Texas has offered that makes a decision, here’s a refresher scouting report on the 6-3, 215-pound pass rusher.

“My goodness, is this kid is so quick off the edge that it’ll jump out at you within seconds of watching him play. His quick-twitch upside makes him a potential nightmare off the edge as a pass rusher, which is the reason why so many schools are interested in the 6-3, 215-pound Jackson. He’s potentially a special edge guy, but there’s no getting around the fact that he’s an undersized player that is going to need to develop a little more physically before he’s a real option as a down lineman at the college level. It’ll take some time before he’s ready to take on all aspects of playing defensive end, but if he can harness his strengths and commits himself to the weight room, he can be an elite college pass-rusher.”

… Potential future Longhorn defensive back commit Christian Wallace ripped it up this weekend at a 7-on-7 event in North Carolina. He just looks like a bad dude on the football field.

1688663.jpg

No. 3 – Buy or Sell …

BUY or SELL: Texas offense averages over 28 points a game next season?

(Buy) Hell of a good question because I spent about 15 minutes thinking about this one. That’s a full touchdown ahead of last year’s numbers, which gave me reason for pause, but then I realized that 28.0 points per game would still rank seventh in last year’s Big 12 and wouldn’t truly represent a monumental leap forward because last year’s offense really was that bad. It’ll be close, but I’ll go with a buy.

BUY or SELL: Jake Raulerson starts somewhere on the OL before the season is over?

(Buy) We’re talking about an offensive line that doesn’t have a lot of depth and a player that brings a lot of versatility to the table. Eventually, I think Raulerson is going to be a very good player because football matters quite a bit to him and a spot start or two in 2015 wouldn’t surprise me at all.

BUY or SELL: The Aggies won't win a single conference game this year?

(Sell) Come on, they’ll win a couple of those home games and probably win at Vanderbilt.

BUY or SELL: Shaka takes us to the sweet 16 this coming year?

(Buy) Yes, assuming Tevin Mack commits this week.

BUY or SELL: We will rush for more than 2,000 yards this season?

(Buy) The Longhorns were only 224 yards away from that number a year ago (technically, Texas rushed for 2,174 yards, but lost 388 yards along the way) and I think the combination of an improved Johnathan Gray and added quarterback run yardage will get the offense there.

BUY or SELL: Texas will sign only one DT off the LSR 2016 Top 100?

(Sell) In Charlie, I trust. Little bit of a leap of faith at this point, but February is a long time away and I'll say they sign two.

BUY or SELL: Chris Warren has more yards than any other backup RB next season?

(Sell) Kirk Johnson is my guy. Just a hunch.

BUY or SELL: Patrick Vahe ends up getting significant snaps/starts by game five?

(Sell) Put me in the camp that believes Vahe is a year away and needs the redshirt season.

BUY or SELL: Steve Patterson is the AD for the home opener 2017... for the purpose of this buy/sell reason for departure is not relevant. I don't care if the Lakers throw $5 mil per at him, or Fenves decides he doesn't like him. Buy/sell Patterson is still here for 2017?

(Buy) That’s 27 ½ months from now and he’s got at least 27 ½ months in the books in my opinion. Football and football attendance would have to be in the toilet for this to change.

BUY or SELL: Cavs coach David Blatt is fired after this season even if his team reaches the NBA Finals?

(Buy) LeBron will never forget that he was a missed technical foul on Blatt (who was trying to pull a Chris Webber) away from being down 3-1 to the Bulls.

BUY or SELL: The Cubs win their next World Series before the Phillies win theirs?

(Sell) It’s the Cubs. We’re practically the Yankees when standing next to them.

No. 4 - T-minus 2 days until Tevin Mack announces his decision ...

I don’t really have anything new to add to the Mack decision, although all the tea-leaves seem to be pointing to a commitment to the Longhorns and I’d put $20 on it happening if I was in Vegas.

However, the excitement surrounding his decision, which would represent the first major landmark moment in the Shaka Smart Era in Austin, reminds me of a story I used to tell people about the Longhorn basketball program.

On the day that Kevin Durant committed to Texas, we left his commitment story up as the lead on the front page for more than 12 hours and we didn’t sell a single new subscription. Later that same day, I switched the lead on the front page to something related to UT football and by midnight, four news subscribers had signed up.

That’s not to say that people didn’t care about the commitment of Durant because it was a huge deal when it went down in the summer of 2005, but there was a limit to the interest in Texas basketball because it was … well … basketball.

Perhaps I’m crazy for thinking you can teach an old dog new tricks, but I sense an interest in basketball with the hire of Shaka Smart that I didn’t even sense at the height of Rick Barnes’ time in Austin.

It all starts with Mack’s decision on Tuesday, which will almost certainly be at the top of the front page of the website. My guess is we’ll do better than zero sign-ups on Tuesday.

No. 5 – On this date in Orangebloods history ...

I’m not sure if this is a piece I’ll keep in the column each week, but it’s always fun to look back at the things we were all focused on over the last decade-plus on the site.

14 Years Ago: David Thomas was narrowing down his list of favorites.

11 Years Ago: Colt McCoy committed to the Longhorns.

"Texas is the place I that want to be."

10 Years Ago: Jamaal Charles won double-gold and was dreaming about his UT future.

5 Years Ago: I profiled the top 25 prep quarterbacks from Texas I had covered since 1996.

No. 6 – Houston, we have lift-off!

Forget about what happens in the next two weeks against the Golden State Warriors in the Western Conference Finals for just a moment and appreciate the vindication that occurred on Sunday.

For everything that has been written about the Houston Rockets over the last few years, the bottom line is that the Daryl Morey way has worked itself within eight wins of an NBA title. For all that has been said about James Harden and Dwight Howard, the pair is two more series wins away from a much-coveted championship. For all of the abuse that Kevin McHale takes from his critics on a daily basis, his team has not only taken a major step forward, but he gets head-to-head wins over Rick Carlisle and Doc Rivers in the process.

Everyone can just shut up about what this team isn’t because whatever this team is, it’s capable of flipping the script on a team like the Clippers, while in a 3-1, back-against-the-wall hole.

Meanwhile, what an epic collapse by the Clippers. That’s going to be one long flight home from Houston.

Oh, and give me the Warriors in five games.

No. 7 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

… Good Deed of the Weekend

… The fight of the year in boxing hasn’t taken place yet if promoters can find a way to put Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez in the square circle before the end of 2015. After watching GGG destroy Willie Monroe Jr. with a sixth-round knockout, it’s time we get to see him in a fight against someone that might actually have a chance to win. As someone that would root for GGG in a fight with Alvarez, I’m not sure that I’d favor him going into the fight, but I know I want to see it take place. Or Miguel Cotto … if he’ll stop ducking GGG.

… We all need to do each other solid and remind each other the next time flyweight champion Roman Gonzalez gets into the ring. That dude is boxing’s version of UFC champion Demetrious Johnson, which makes him must-see-TV.

… Speaking of the UFC, I can’t remember being more disappointed in a fight that I thought would be electric than I was in the snoozer that was Frankie Edgar’s shutout win over Urijah Faber. That’s 30 minutes of my life that I want back and it’s never going to happen.

… Two down, one to go. I haven’t watched American Pharoah do its thing yet, but after a rain-soaked Preakness win, I’m down for watching the Belmont in the hopes of witnessing some history. Question … how big would it be if American Pharoah actually wins the Triple Crown? It’s not 1978 any more …

… In my first year as a Liverpool supporter, I’m glad I can say I had a chance to watch Steven Gerrard with the Reds, even if it felt a lot like the Julius Erving send-off that haunts the memories of my childhood. According to the Daily Telegraph, the house DJ played the following songs in tribute to Gerrard: “Simply The Best”, followed by “It’s The End Of The World As We Know It”, “No More Heroes”, “It Must Have Been Love”, “LA Woman” and “Nothing Ever Lasts Forever”. Good God, no wonder Liverpool lost 3-1 to Crystal Palace.

No. 8 – God help the dads out there with teenage daughters ...

As the father of a 14-month daughter, I haven’t even come to grips with what the future holds for those of us that will have daughters attending proms in the year 2030, 2031 or 2032.

No. 9 – Game of Thrones Season Five - Episode 6 randomness

******* WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD ***********

******* LAST CHANCE TO TURN AWAY ***********

1. I feel like Arya is about to snap. Danielson would have never lost a point to Johnny is Mr. Miyagi had coached him up like this. Good grief, what kind of mercenary is going to come out on the other side?

2. If Tyrion thought Jorah was lacking incentive for conversation, he sure as hell isn't going to be chatty after Tyrion loosely let out that his old man had been murdered by his own men. Good gried, Jorah needs a hug... too bad nob one can touch him.

3. Littlefinger has all kinds of swag. It's hard not to like his hustle.

4. The scene between Cersei and Littlefinger lasted about an hour on my TV, as I waited for Hendrix to go down for the night... it was a long night. Prety much threatens to ruin the entire episode for me because every time I try listen to anyone say anything, he cries out in fury. Fun stuff.

(Note: This part of the column cannot be completed because Hendrix has deemed it impossible. I'll finish the final 30 minutes later tonight)

******* END OF SPOILERS ***********

No.10 - And Finally...

Happy 63rd birthday on Monday to King George.

Since I’m working on a B.B. King list for next week (just not enough time this week), I thought we might celebrate the work of the birthday boy with a look at my Top 10 list for one of the titans of country music.

Last five out: Check Yes or No, Write This Down, Ocean Front Property, One Night at a Time and Right or Wrong

10. I Cross My Heart

Pure Country ranks as one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies of all-time that feature country singers.

9. All My Ex's Live in Texas

Has to be on the list, right?

8. Baby Blue

Although never officially confirmed, it's thought that this is a song her sang for his 13-year old daughter Jenifer, who died in an car accident in San Marcos.

7. You Can't Make a Heart Love Somebody

One of my personal favorites.

6. Does Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind

I bet George had a hell of a time at Southwest Texas back in his younger days. I'd love to jump in the hot tub time machine and catch one of his first shows.

5. The Fireman

George is one of the few live shows that I have yet to see. When he does another show down the road, I have to catch it. No excuses.

4. Amarillo By Morning

You can make a case that this song deserves to be higher on the list. A masterpiece.

3. The Chair

Mack-daddy George spitting game.

2. You Look So Good in Love

It's not the best song George ever released, but it's probably my favorite. Once upon a time, I enjoyed one hell of a waltz to this song at Dallas Night Club.

1. The Cowboy Rides Away

The quintessential George Strait song.

Ketch you need to leave that disclaimer for GOT in there so people know you didn't watch it all at once. You'll understand why

That was an excellent view of things for summer workouts Ketch. Hope you are correct and someone takes control of matters like Colt did.

VN writeup

The question I have about both Swoopes and Heard is whether either of them wants it as bad as McCoy wanted it back in 2006?

From what I've seen, NO. Neither Swoopes nor Heard seems to have either the moxie or God-given "it" factor that McCoy had. Heard is a far better raw athlete than Colt, of course.

Doesn't mean neither kid will eventually emerge as a good player, either. I just don't see it happening over the course of one off-season.

State Top 10 (from the 2016 Class) defensive tackle Ed Oliver currently lists Houston as his favorite.

To me, there's obviously something (non-talent related) about the kid or his background or some behind the scenes issue(s) going on for Texas not to be heavily involved in his recruitment. I can't think of anything else as to why CS wouldn't be all over the kid. Maybe he has his hand out, maybe he has a handler, maybe CS knows something about his character or his motor or the reports the staff gets from the kid's teachers/coaches/whatever.

Kids these days... WTF is up with that dress and his hand on her ass? I'd lose it if that were my daughter.

In the end wheres your guess d.duvarnay ends up? Is it true that colt Mccoy was close to flipping to lsu?

I thank God regularly I had boys. It wasn't always easy, but I never felt the urge to hurt someone and if I had a girl I'm sure I would've.

BUY or SELL: Chris Warren has more yards than any other backup RB next season?

(Buy) And Kirk Johnson, too.

Maybe I don't understand the question, but it seems like the question can only have one answer. You have two.

Who has more yards next year Warren or Johnson?

Mighty Mouse is not a good comparison to Chocolatito.

In his last 7 fights, 5 went to 5 rounds for Johnson.

Zero of Roman's got anywhere close to the distance.

Both looked like freshmen.....

Except one was in his 3rd spring game, and the other was in his 1st. Lol

Heard is the starter and SHOULD be named starter by mid August. Most redshirt freshmen I've researched are named starters in mid August, probably to prevent transfers and lack of depth of named earlier.

But yeah, Heard is the starter, and if he isn't, we have much bigger problems on our hands.

Mighty Mouse is not a good comparison to Chocolatito.

In his last 7 fights, 5 went to 5 rounds for Johnson.

Zero of Roman's got anywhere close to the distance.
Come on, Mighty Mouse might be the best pound for pound fighter in the sport and he's been beyond dominant in the last few fights, while clearing out his entire division.

Come on, Mighty Mouse might be the best pound for pound fighter in the sport and he's been beyond dominant in the last few fights, while clearing out his entire division.

Not denying that at all. But MM is much closer to PBF than Chocolalito who is getting guys out. Obviously GSP and PBF were hand in hand in dominating but never finishing, but MM (or Aldo) has replaced him.

Guys fight Roman and they not only aren't seeing the bell....they aren't even getting into shouting distance of it.

Does FW ever cross your mind is the greatest song ever. In the history of man.

Also Mods, I'd love to know the real deal with Oliver. CS isn't stupid and he is a no brainer offer. What's the baggage?

I've already bought plane ticket to Chicago and bus ticket to see Touchdown Jesus. God, please let us have a definite stud at QB that Saturday night. (Love the Buys!)

Your comment re Durant is beyond amazing

I followed his recruiting from his Sophmore year in HS and gave continuous reports to all of my friends

He and TJ elevated Texas basketball to the next level above BMW and Shaka will take the Horns to the Mecca

Sorry for the confusion - by "your" comment, I was referring to Ketch

That is a pretty good list for George Strait. Only thing I would change is 1. Amarillo By Morning. My second fav song of all time. Number one is Willie Nelson singing Always on my Mind.

Reactions: fryguy89
Thanks Ketch.

Love your #1 discussion of the QBs, you are spot on with that. I'm hoping both QBs are McCoy-driven specimens of dedication at winning the position. If they are we'll have 2 QBs game-ready by August. I prefer Heard, I believe he is a more natural Alpha, I believe he'll never forget his HS career and consequently believe he'll be able to succeed on the big stage in college just as he did in high school. I think he has the physical tools and leadership ability.

I heard two things about Colt when he was at Texas. He LIVED in the film room more than maybe any QB ever at Texas. And he transformed his body in the weight room in a way that few did during most of the MB years (exception Brian Orakpo--who was similarly self-motivated in the weight room). If I'm Heard I don't defer to TS one iota as far as leading 7 on 7 this summer. Both QBs need to live in the film room and transform themselves in the weight room. That and an O Line and Texas is in business.

ADVERTISEMENT