ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend

Originally posted by True horn:

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Originally posted by jstreet1514:
Sorry, If you're trying to sell the proposition that BYU has a talent edge over Texas, much less one that results in a 41-7 blowout, that simply defies all reason.
The first half performance shows that the BYU talent edge wasn't material. Texas has won many games after trailing at halftime. They came out of the halftime unprepared for the second half. That's a coaching issue IMO.
Just to be clear, you don't believe BYU had a QB/OL advantage for four quarters?
They absolutely had a QB and OL advantage.
Stop. That's all you had to say.

Originally posted by hankmartin:

but the terrible Non-tackling in the Second Half and giving up in the last 30 minutes is NOT Mack Brown's ... it is on Charlie Strong and on Vance Bedford and the team who suited up but did NOT play their hearts out IMHO.
I think the coaches would agree with you and have said as much. Charlie fell on the sword the way he needed to IMO.
Oh come on. A correct statement would have stopped with "This is my fault, I didn't have the team prepared." Blaming the players for not tearing down signs he put up shows his lack of awareness of the climate he has established.
or it shows you your lack of awareness and the climate that was previously established.

And I would suggest that a large number of players have been coached up, including Tyrone Swoopes, John Harris, Mykelle Thompson, Steve Edmond, Caleb Bluiett, Hassan Ridgeway, Paul Boyette, etc...

Agreed 100%. Stating the obvious, but we need to see some OL peeps on this list.

There's not an offensive scheme alive that can cover for questionable quarterback play and atrocious offensive line play.

Disagree (slightly). Go watch the Leach years at Tech. They couldn't run the ball worth a damn but had a very simple playbook that was executed to near perfection no matter who the QB was. They had literally 5-10 plays (perhaps with modest variations in set-up) that accounted for 90% of their play calls. They were all plays designed for quick release throws. Tech would just chip away at the yardage and move the chains at a good clip. And every few plays a WR would make a guy or two miss and turn in a big gain.

I think the staff needs to be more aggressive with Swoopes, but I kind of understand where the coaches are coming from to a degree. If they try to throw a five-step deep ball off play-action, it's probably more likely that a sack or pressure leads to a turnover than if a big play is completed.

Agreed - see points above. Keep it simple and effective. We know the personnel cannot run a pro-style offense. We need to have quick hitting plays that get us small-medium chunks.

You still have to try, though.

Every 10th play I am willing to throw a bone and call a draw...

I think he gets 21 months or so, which takes us to the beginning of next season, which means he's only 8-9 months in at this point.

Two off-seasons..

I suppose that is a fair enough runway. But I hope you are wrong in that it doesn't take that long to get the Mack stink off the program. You hope you are wrong. Your twins don't know it yet, but they hope dad is wrong. Everyone will be better off if you are wrong on this one. You will have to agree with me there...
wink.r191677.gif

Appreciate your thoughts here - all good assessments.

Here's to me being wrong!
Ketch, did you delete True Horn's gem of a post and all the follow up posts in this thread? Just wondering where it went...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT