ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend

At what point do you quit blaming Mack, Ketch? Next year? 5 years from now when no one Mack recruited remains?

Strong needs to get this thing turned around NOW. At least get it headed in the right direction. And it ain't happening. Our offense is completely inept. Recruiting is in the toilet. Etc.

If you compare the talent on BYU's roster to the talent on Texas', who would you pick? If it's Texas, then what was the problem Saturday night?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

"… Malcolm Brown and Johnathan Gray are very good college running backs, but there's just nothing exceptional about either player's explosiveness or overall athleticism....."

Since when have you held this opinion, particularly of Gray? I don't recall these guys ever being described as this kind of JAG-plus player.

Not shooting the messenger here, seriously. But haven't these guys gotten a ton of hype on this site, especially Gray?. When/why did you change your assessments (if you did)? Or is this just my reading with my ridiculously rose colored glasses?

I was on a similar opinion of OU being extremely overrated and while that might still end up being slightly true, I now believe they could represent in the top-4 playoff. I'm still not 100% sold on Knight and their defense hasn't still faced any offense worth a dang.

I still believe the South Carolina from the first 2 weeks is going to be scratching and clawing to win 6 games this year. East Carolina has to be leaving that game thinking they are the better team and that they let one slip away. To my eye ECU was the better team and again, USCeast looked terribly bad.

So with that said, the media should slow roll all this love for aTm an especially the nonsense of Kenny Hill and the Heisman. All the same questions before the year and still left unanswered on aTm. No way they are a top10 team.

Shame the BYU game fell apart on Strong in the second half. Texas actually had played some solid football in the 1st half. Once one wheel fell off it was as if the other wheels said the heck with if and folded as well. Shame the players did that to Strong.

North Texas stomped a mudhole into SMU along the lines of a varsity team spanking a FR team. It was bad bad bad on SMU. Baylor smoked SMU as well a week beforehand. The North Texas dominating win will continue to look like a great win as year goes by.

Agree on JJ Watt. I still don't think even the true expert diehard fan realized how good his 2012 season was.

Shame on Clowney injury as he played great before his injury. Early returns IMO are that the Texans got it right taking him #1 overall.

I understand the Romo dilemma for Cowboys fans but who out there right now is better than him? Name me 10 guys? You cant.

Still top 3 teams in NFL: Seattle, Denver, & 49ers.

Miami won but Tannehill played very avg. If Tannehill could take a step then they will be a giant.

No love for the Boardwalk Empire premiere?

This post was edited on 9/8 1:09 AM by texaspaulo

Originally posted by longhorn73:
Sorry Ketch... The turnovers, terribly timed penalties and the give up in the third quarter is the current staffs responsibility.

Strong said it was his responsibility in the opening statement of the presser. That sh-t is coaching.

Contininualy blaming Mack for the mental mistakes listed above is just ridiculous.

We can talk talent all night long if you want and you have a great point there but the rest is just bs.

Let's not hand out journalistic crutches that support terrible coaching.

That's Strong's job and he gets a nice paycheck from Texas confirming that's his responsibility.
Agree totally. C'mon Ketchum, that is weak f'n sauce you keep blathering on with.

"Waa waa waa. It's all MB's fault. Boo hoo hoo." Seriously, STFU with noise!

Everything that happened last night was the fault of the man who currently occupies the office that says Head Coach. So far all he's done is collect paychecks, recruit 3* prospects and kick starting players off the team. Blame the dude that did not have HIS team even remotely prepared to play last night.

Originally posted by clark98ut:
At what point do you quit blaming Mack, Ketch? Next year? 5 years from now when no one Mack recruited remains?

Strong needs to get this thing turned around NOW. At least get it headed in the right direction. And it ain't happening. Our offense is completely inept. Recruiting is in the toilet. Etc.

If you compare the talent on BYU's roster to the talent on Texas', who would you pick? If it's Texas, then what was the problem Saturday night?

I agree with you 100%. Mack has been gone for 9 months. He's out of the picture and he left behind a lot of talent that's just waiting to be coached up.

That said, Texas can beat UCLA with motivated players and the right game plan. At the very least it should be competitive.

Ketch good write up, and I think there's some really good takes in there, but, I've got to take you to task on your view(s) on Charlie Strong right now.

The problem is simply not the Mack Brown curse, or the soul sapping hangover of entitlement. Its the current coaching staff.

In true OB fashion, here's my big 5 reasons why:

1. This is Texas. We don't "burn it to the ground". There's no reason to. When you're at Louisville and the program is a hollowed out shell after a couple of middling runs under Petrino, and then falling off a cliff after he left you, there is nothing left. Going wholesale napalm on the program makes sense. Louisville doesn't have a ton of tradition and what tradition they have is anything but recent. Anything and everything to change the culture makes sense. At Texas, 2009 was only 5 years ago. Going wholesale napalm, burning it to the ground, and raising up a new program out of the burnt ashes is throwing away a ton of history, a ton of success, a fair amount of political capital in recruiting you have left and a ton of all of that is within most people's recent memory. When you're the type of program that prints money, and stands atop college football in terms of resources and access to resources, not to mention amongst its elite tradition wise, you don't burn it to the ground...you simply go get a top tier coach, flip the switch in recruiting, and return to your successfull ways (as evidence of this, I offer you Alabama, Ohio State, Florida State, LSU, and so on).

2. Halftime. At half time of the BYU game the score was 6-0. Defensive execution had been fairly high in the first half (the game plan also seemed to work). Offensive execution was lacking, but, the young guppy of an offense had shown some flash in the first half and had some building blocks to work with.
So, what happened during half time that turned what was a VERY competitive game into a total rout? To this naked eye, it seemed as though one team made half time adjustments and one team did not. Suddenly, a BYU blocking scheme change was opening the gate every play. On the offensive side, no twist. No variation. No obvious attempt to exploit something in the BYU scheme. Zero adjustments.
While we can all sit around and boo Mack Brown for leaving a snake bitten qb situation, and a lacking offensive line group when he left, there is simply no excuse for the in game coaching job that was done on Saturday. At some point, you find a way to get vertical with Tyrone Swoopes. At some point, you find a trick play. At some point you find a way to help a young offense. At some point, you have to make the calls on the defensive side of the ball to reinvigorate the confidence of defensive players that seem to be taking a step back.

The mormon kids had help from a talented coaching staff on Saturday to get over the hump, and to make the scheme changes neccessary to finally unlock the success they thought they could have. I saw absolutely no evidence of that on Saturday for the Longhorns. There was not a single adjustment made at the half, and I found myself wondering over and over again all game when somehow this supposedly X's and O's based coaching staff was actually going to display some of that rigor.

3. Special Teams. While I think its great the Charlie wants to block every punt that's ever happened, and show just how bad mamma jamma and physically imposing his team is I couldn't help but wonder why the decision was made not to try to setup Shipley for a return all night. At the end of the day, Strong favored the punt blocking skills of 2nd and 3rd string defensive players, to the punt return skills of one of the best players (and one of his best playmakers) on his team. To me, that's not an issue with Jaxon Shipley (or any of the other skill players) not making enough big plays, that's a bone headed coach infatuated with himself putting his ego ahead of the playmaking talents of his team.

4. The fumbles. At issue here was a team wide lack of technique that bit us twice. Quite frankly, we were lucky it wasn't worse. My guess is had we simply had more success on offense we would have seen more fumbles. Again, who does this come down to? Teams that do not pay attention to ball protection are and always have been given a moniker: poorly coached.

5. At the end of the day, the common thread of the prior 4 points is coaching. The coaching performance was abysmal, and in my eyes, only punctuated by some of Strong's lame cop outs post game. "They weren't mentally prepared correctly"...I couldn't believe I was hearing that. There is a very tidy salary being paid to ensure someone gets a Texas team to have the right mentality every Saturday. The lack of accountability was poignant as it belied the lack of coaching effort that seemed to go into Saturday's preparation and game time decision making. Say all you want about depth issues, lack of experience, or even lack of talent, there was just as poor a coaching job that went along side it.

Strong simply doesn't get where he is at right now, what the expectations are, and I'm beginning to doubt if he truly knows how to get there. He looked like a deer caught in headlights most of Saturday night. Most of the last several months and the fall camp rarely seemed to be about football. It was about a whole lot of intangible things that are great and all but rarely win you football games in and of themselves. Accountability, and Strong's 5 pronged code, seem somewhat hollow when the guy you've chosen who meets up to those standards is getting hurdled by a guy with a knee brace on for a TD, and sportscenter humiliation.

Originally posted by champ6369:

Vegas probably had it right. Since you are obviously clueless about how lines work, Vegas sets the line at the point it takes to equalize money bet on each side, which guarantees they win. If Texas being a slight favorite accomplished that, then they were spot on. Vegas doesn't predict who will win and by how much, their line is their prediction of what it takes to get an equal amount bet on both sides.
Vegas/books aren't built on 10% dude. A lot of people believe as you do, but it's not entirely true.

This whole the team wasn't ready is a bit of a mystery to me - a team not being ready doesn't really wait until the third quarter to show that it isn't ready. The first half team looked ready, at least on the defensive side of the ball - the third quarter melt smells more to me of halftime let down but I can't for the life of me get why that would happen. Come out completely flat in the second half after fighting your guts out in the first.

The offense really does need to open things up. The D may continue to throw in the towel if they think the O is going to keep sucking at the level it sucked at on Saturday night. BYU's D was in formations that made it very difficult to take deep shots which means Ty should have made them pay with his feet or Watson should have made them pay with some well timed draw plays. I didn't see a lot of misdirection to try to take advantage of the aggressive pursuit of the BYU D -

I get the cultural mess Mack left behind, I get that it may take time - but the second half meltdown seems to me is on the Coaches that were in the locker room on Saturday night - for some reason, their time which played toe-to-toe in the first half, layed down in the second half - and that's one that is difficult to figure out.

Originally posted by jaguar02:
Burn it to the ground? Mighty scary proposition for a coach that loses his best talent this year, has little in the cupboard, and a bad season probabably causes recruits to jump ship. I'd argue that's a recipe for being fired after a similar year next year with the hated AD that hired you.
Correct. CS won't make it 3 years with that approach. There is no guarantee he can rebuild it. So far he is good at tearing it down. I don't know how much more he has to tear it down before you would consider it burnt to the ground.

We were told that that we needed a coach to instill toughness, develop players, coach good defense, and install sound game plans. Everyone thought that is what we got. Two games into the season these same people are now saying burn it to the ground.CS won't make it 3 years with that approach. There is no guarantee he can rebuild it.

Excuse me but I am not listening to these people any more.

Originally posted by SAMike74:
Swoopes best throw was the laser he threw to Joe. Beautiful pass.

If Sherroid Evans can come back in the next few weeks Strong needs to move Duke Thomas to offense permanently IMO. I have never see an offense at Texas lack playmakers like this in a looooong time.

Also any idea why they can't at least try warrick on a few jet sweeps, end around, etc???

It really doesn't matter if they run the ball up the middle 75% of the time.

Originally posted by Texasfred:
Ketch, I agree with most of what you had to say...However coach wick needs to step
up his game plan...I went back a checked Rivals recruiting for off. line....Here is what
we got: Even though Estelle & Cochran are no longer on the team....
Flowers #8 4*
Cochran#27 4*
Hutchins #54 3*
Doyle #78 3*
Estelle #9 4*
Riser #12 4*
Hughes#25 4*
Perkins#3 4*
James #6 4*
Raulerson #18 4*
Yes they are young but there should be a ton of talent (8-4*) in the last 3 years...that ismore than he had at Okie state...
Just a thought from long time fan...and yes I was there when we were humiliated by UCLA back
in the 90's.......
Hook'em...
Stars mean nothing when it comes to OL especially if they haven't benn developed.

I think Strong has already burnt it to the ground. He's suspended 8 players. He has a first year starter at QB and the youngest and crappiest OL in the country.

I'd like to see more A. Foreman and Joe at WR but it doesn't matter if the game plans aren't better.

Good job Ketch. I'm too numb to comment on the Horns but as far as the Cowboys go and your question In #6 I hope they get the #1 pick next year and take Mariota. I know that won't fix the defense but I think he is going to be special in the NFL. They have to get a QB to groom to take over for Romo and it may need to be sooner than most expected. BTW, Garret is a terible play caller. Murray was running very well and the o-line was dominant in the run game but twice they get inside the 5 and don't run it once? Just like you said with the Horns, It's time to burn it down and start over in Dallas.

It's going to take longer than an off-season to fix the problems this program has. Texas fans have an entitlement problem.

Exactly. 4*....there's zero 4 star talent on the offensive line. Zero. Coach February bamboozled you into actually believing stars mean stars.

There's no coaching up that can done here. I expect some upside just from experience but what person on offense did byu fear??? Answer is no one!

Also any idea why they can't at least try warrick on a few jet sweeps, end around, etc???

They can. Thy just haven't. Not exactly the most creative of offenses thus far.

Originally posted by A-10HORN:
Also, have you heard anything on the possibility of Ash being cleared for next week? Saw a post about it and was wondering if you heard anything. Obviously I think it's a stupid idea.
a. I've heard about it, but I've heard all kinds of things about it. Hell., there have been rumors that people don't think he even had a concussion. There's a lot out there right now.

b. IMO, you can't let the kid play. It's on Texas if he gets seriously hurt again. How many warning signs are needed?

c. He has not been through the entire concussion protocol at this point, so he can't officially be cleared... yet.

Originally posted by BRHornz:

I love JJ Watts, but he is no Deacon Jones, IMO. Stats be damned. One of the things that made Deacon Deacon was that he part of the Fearsome Foursome, which makes 1-on-1 comparisons impossible. But I am an old guy, and Deacon was the best I have ever seen. But I love me some JJ, who signed a big $$ contract but intends to earn every penny.

Hook 'em!!!

This post was edited on 9/8 5:40 AM by BRHornz
Thing about Deacon is that he played in a generation that didn't have the monsters up-front that Watt has to deal with. The players were smaller, slower and not as good.

Originally posted by unihorn:
What do you think Mack's true reaction to Saturday was? A little dark satisfaction that he lost to BYU by less than Strong, or a bit of shame that he left the talent so bare, or ... ?
The former ALL the way.

Originally posted by Texasfred:
Ketch, I agree with most of what you had to say...However coach wick needs to step
up his game plan...I went back a checked Rivals recruiting for off. line....Here is what
we got: Even though Estelle & Cochran are no longer on the team....
Flowers #8 4*
Cochran#27 4*
Hutchins #54 3*
Doyle #78 3*
Estelle #9 4*
Riser #12 4*
Hughes#25 4*
Perkins#3 4*
James #6 4*
Raulerson #18 4*
Yes they are young but there should be a ton of talent (8-4*) in the last 3 years...that ismore than he had at Okie state...
Just a thought from long time fan...and yes I was there when we were humiliated by UCLA back
in the 90's.......
Hook'em...

Getting the Mack stink off of the players in this program won't happen overnight. There are pieces in place, but it's going to take more than eight months to get there.

Originally posted by Ketchum:

They can. Thy just haven't. Not exactly the most creative of offenses thus far.
That's because Strong views his offense as an extension of his defense. He doesn't believe in needing any creativity on offense. When the acumen of your offensive staff is low, the creativity will need to come from the elite talent you recruit on offense. Recruiting elite talent on offense also appears to be an issue as well, since the best playmakers in Texas for 2015 aren't even giving the school a sniff.

Strong either needed a group of BAMF's as recruiters on offense, or offensive assistants with a high level of offensive coaching acumen, and it's quite possible he got neither.

Burn it to the ground? Mighty scary proposition for a coach that loses his best talent this year, has little in the cupboard, and a bad season probabably causes recruits to jump ship. I'd argue that's a recipe for being fired after a similar year next year with the hated AD that hired you.
Strong will get three years. Best way to get over the jump is get all of the stink out of the program, while developing for the future. No reason to be playing for 2014.

Originally posted by BRHornz:

I love JJ Watts, but he is no Deacon Jones, IMO. Stats be damned. One of the things that made Deacon Deacon was that he part of the Fearsome Foursome, which makes 1-on-1 comparisons impossible. But I am an old guy, and Deacon was the best I have ever seen. But I love me some JJ, who signed a big $$ contract but intends to earn every penny.

Hook 'em!!!

This post was edited on 9/8 5:40 AM by BRHornz
Thing about Deacon is that he played in a generation that didn't have the monsters up-front that Watt has to deal with. The players were smaller, slower and not as good.
I think what makes JJ so special in this comparison are the rules he plays with today---all designed for the offense, holding is OK and no touching the QB.
It is hard to compare sizes of people when you look at different eras, IMO.

Strong will get three years. Best way to get over the jump is get all of the stink out of the program, while developing for the future. No reason to be playing for 2014.
At what point will we know that losses can be correctly attributed to Strong instead of Mack Brown stink?

Originally posted by longhorn73:
Sorry Ketch... The turnovers, terribly timed penalties and the give up in the third quarter is the current staffs responsibility.

Strong said it was his responsibility in the opening statement of the presser. That sh-t is coaching.

Contininualy blaming Mack for the mental mistakes listed above is just ridiculous.

We can talk talent all night long if you want and you have a great point there but the rest is just bs.

Let's not hand out journalistic crutches that support terrible coaching.

That's Strong's job and he gets a nice paycheck from Texas confirming that's his responsibility.
You'll never get it because you don't want to get it.

You've lived in a hole for years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT