ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend

Yes, the previous experience line of thought that prevented Texas from going after Bob Stoops when it had the chance, will prevent Texas from going for one of the best young minds in college football...Herman...should it come to that.
Texas should never hire a coordinator as a head coach or a guy without major skins on the wall.

Period.

Reactions: Miami Horn
I know this will sound trite but I think our coaches inability to show up on time at press conferences is telling. It shows they are not organized enough not to keep other people waiting and get on to the next part of their day. Think about it like habitually showing up late to important meetings.
every coach in college football shows up late for press conferences.

I just hate ranking perception. That's what they do for the preseason rankings which every single CFB person from full-time analysts to drunks on the internet view as useless.

We saw how useful the perception of the slow, old Big 10 worked out in the Playoffs last year.

More than anything I hate how bulletproof the SEC is. Oh you win one game? Straight to the top 10 if not #1. Oh, did you struggle a bit anyone else? Here's a nice 12th-place ribbon for you, no we're out of Top 10 ribbons, son. We gave the last one to the guy with a double-digit loss at home.

If Strong needs until 2018/2019 to put forth a formidable team, then it's clear his program building methodology is best served at a mid-major or lower tier power 5 program. He would have the time he needs to implement a burn it down plan, and wouldn't have to deal with the scrutiny from media and alumni. He wouldn't have to operate in a pressure cooker and can move at a much slower pace. He would also face an overall lower set of expectations. At a mid major conference, he also wouldn't be facing coaches considered at the top of their craft.
After this season, he may not have much media scrutiny or fan interest at Texas, going forward.

You love you some penis. NO shame in that.
I thought of giving them each a designation like "Penis U" and "Penis St." and of course "Northwestern Penis A&M" but I was more focused on being angry at all of our football misery than landing the joke.

That's not the reason for my justification. I believe it just completed the most impressive win of the season thus far and I believe it is the best team. I've yet ti be convinced otherwise, certainly not the Baylor and TCU suggestions in this thread.

So you say Baylor hasn't beaten anyone, but your justification for rating Bama at #1 is the fact they beat Georgia, who have proven time and again over the last 15 years, they are the biggest fraud in all of college football.

In the biggest home game in recent memory for Georgia, Alabama went between the hedges and totally destroyed and humiliated them. Let's not act like that happens every day.
It doesn't but in the biggest game of every year Georgia goes Georgia and their style of play just made it that much easier for Bama. What Ole Miss did to Bama in their house & what Utah did to Oregon in their house were far more impressive because most people couldn't see those coming from a mile away.

I just hate ranking perception. That's what they do for the preseason rankings which every single CFB person from full-time analysts to drunks on the internet view as useless.

We saw how useful the perception of the slow, old Big 10 worked out in the Playoffs last year.

More than anything I hate how bulletproof the SEC is. Oh you win one game? Straight to the top 10 if not #1. Oh, did you struggle a bit anyone else? Here's a nice 12th-place ribbon for you, no we're out of Top 10 ribbons, son. We gave the last one to the guy with a double-digit loss at home.
Can I see a real Top 10? I've already admitted it's a wasted process at this point in the year, saying the same thing a week ago as well.

I'm just curious how you'd rank them. Hell, give me a top 5.

It doesn't but in the biggest game of every year Georgia goes Georgia and their style of play just made it that much easier for Bama. What Ole Miss did to Bama in their house & what Utah did to Oregon in their house were far more impressive because most people couldn't see those coming from a mile away.
Ole Miss barely beat Bama, despite fluke plays and a 5-0 turnover advantage going its way.

So you say Baylor hasn't beaten anyone, but your justification for rating Bama at #1 is the fact they beat Georgia, who have proven time and again over the last 15 years, they are the biggest fraud in all of college football.
Baylor hasn't beaten anyone outside of the Big 12 of note in over a decade and it has been far from impressive throughout this season against poor competition. One win over a Tech team that have up 55 a week ago, and everyone is forgetting reality.

I thought of giving them each a designation like "Penis U" and "Penis St." and of course "Northwestern Penis A&M" but I was more focused on being angry at all of our football misery than landing the joke.
Now that's fair.

Frankly, I'm pretty pleased with the AP Top 10 but I would have aggy, OU and both Floridas ahead of Bama.

Bama lost. I don't care if they win 90 out of 100 against Ole Miss. We would have beat 08' Tech 90 out of 100 but guess what?

Edit: I like the Coaches Top 10 a little bit more actually on further review.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

I remember when he brought his staff in folks were excited that he had guys who had out of state roots to recruit. Guys who had Florida, and Cali ties. He needed to hire a top flight OC who knew how to score points.

No one I know felt that way.

We ALL wondered how he would recruit in Texas with all those OOS coaches. Then he keeps Chambers and lets Wyatt go? Brings Watson? Dismisses kids that he might have saved?

Then he insults a whole gathering of HS coaches. (Don't even attempt to refute this because I personally talked with coaches that were present). That alone assured his failure. What kind of idiot insults Texas HS coaches?

While CS may or may not be intelligent, he is not good at making decisions.

Reactions: Dualthreat
Ole Miss barely beat Bama, despite fluke plays and a 5-0 turnover advantage going its way.
Ole Miss dominated that game for 3 quarters and then fell asleep at the wheel while Bama made a comeback but make no mistake Ole Miss was dominating that game. It's the reason even a guy like Finebaum was saying that Bama dominance era might be over and the only reason I can think of to why people had Georgia favored. Bama loses a game just about every year but they never get manhandled in Tuscaloosa like that.

Frankly, I'm pretty pleased with the AP Top 10 but I would have aggy, OU and both Floridas ahead of Bama.

Bama lost. I don't care if they win 90 out of 100 against Ole Miss. We would have beat 08' Tech 90 out of 100 but guess what?
a. I refuse to name an Ohio State team that hasn't played well for five weeks against substandard comp as the No.1 team, just because it won the title a year ago. TCU has struggled all season in stopping teams until facing one of the worst offenses in college football.

b. I'm more comfortable with my approach to putting the team I think is the best over the reward from last year approach.

Ketch, you say that Boyd's retweet won't have a giant impact in the locker room, but what about with recruits? It seems to me that it's a gift from Heaven for teams recruiting against Texas. Every coach can just say, "He talks about family and values, but look at what his players are tweeting at halftime of a game when they're down by 30. You really want to be part of that?"

Am I making too much of this?

Why is it that we need top ten recruiting classes to win? How many teams are our schedule have three consecutive years of top ten classes? Shouldn't we at least be competitive with the majority of teams on our schedule even if we don't land a top ten class?

Reactions: Dualthreat
a. I refuse to name an Ohio State team that hasn't played well for five weeks against substandard comp as the No.1 team, just because it won the title a year ago. TCU has struggled all season in stopping teams until facing one of the worst offenses in college football.

b. I'm more comfortable with my approach to putting the team I think is the best over the reward from last year approach.

I'll absolutely concede Ohio St. I said to a friend during the Indiana game that enough was enough for them. But the last time I called them overrated they won the title and all of this was only 10 months ago so I won't be shocked if they flip the switch and go. But yes, I'll say they are not #1 right now.

Ketch, if Kelly gets fired at the end of the season and expresses genuine interest in coming to Texas, do you fire Strong and bring him in knowing that the window will be closed if you don't make a move an immediate move?

Based on results on the field to date IMO:

1) LSU
2) Utah
3) Clemson
4) Florida
5) TCU
6) Ohio State
7) OU
8) A&M
9) Michigan State
10) Baylor

JMO

Bama? By what measure should they be ranked ahead of Florida? Exclusively past performance...Nothing this season would indicate they should be.

Reactions: doughty77 and Cdun
Advanced numbers name Alabama the best team in the country.

Last edited:
Ketch, you say that Boyd's retweet won't have a giant impact in the locker room, but what about with recruits? It seems to me that it's a gift from Heaven for teams recruiting against Texas. Every coach can just say, "He talks about family and values, but look at what his players are tweeting at halftime of a game when they're down by 30. You really want to be part of that?"

Am I making too much of this?
No, you're almost certainly right about that.

Why is it that we need top ten recruiting classes to win? How many teams are our schedule have three consecutive years of top ten classes? Shouldn't we at least be competitive with the majority of teams on our schedule even if we don't land a top ten class?
Top 10 classes provide immediate impact (see this season). You can win with top 25-50 classes, but they usually take a few years to develop (hence 2018 and 2019 remarks in the article).

I'll absolutely concede Ohio St. I said to a friend during the Indiana game that enough was enough for them. But the last time I called them overrated they won the title and all of this was only 10 months ago so I won't be shocked if they flip the switch and go. But yes, I'll say they are not #1 right now.
I don't know who to place in that slot other than the team I think is the best. All the undefeated options give me the shakes.

Plus, the pre-season poll is nothing but a prediction for what we think things will look like at the end of the season. I believe at the end of the season Alabama will be viewed as the best team in the country.

Ketch, if Kelly gets fired at the end of the season and expresses genuine interest in coming to Texas, do you fire Strong and bring him in knowing that the window will be closed if you don't make a move an immediate move?
If Kelly is your guy and you're comfortable with everything that comes with him, it would be impossible to ignore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT