ADVERTISEMENT

Kobe Bryant dead....

News confirming the 13 year old daughter and another daddy and daughter on board.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Man he was one of the fiercest competitors in any sport. He was a stone cold killer on the basketball court. What a tragedy. My heart goes out to his wife and kids.

Reactions: JonBinge
Being a Spurs fan, I never liked him. That said, he was a great competitor. I’m shocked and sad to hear of his passing, especially with his daughter and others involved. RIP Mamba.

Let's play this out.

9 folks on board.
3 in the Kobe party. Kobe, daughter, pilot.
3 in the baseball coach's party. Coach, wife daughter.
That leaves three unaccounted for.

Kobe owns the Sikorsky 76 helocraft. Kobe's estate will sue the maintenance company depending on the findings of the NTSB and FAA.
The coach's remaining family will sue the same maintenance company as well as the Bryant's estate.
The other party(s) of three could do the same.

I have yet to see evidence of what the possible causes of the crash could be. Weather? Trees? Power lines? Failed equipment? Loss of power?

Whatever the cause, impact with terra ferma was the result. A helocraft has to be operating properly on all three axes of rotation. Remove one axis and sh!t gets super hairy, really quick. As most of you dudes know, Bernoulli and his principles don't apply in this case which is why I fvcking hate riding in whirly birds.

It's a crappy situation all the way around. Nothing good will come of this. Someone get @GuaranteedFresh! In here to expound on the dangers of riding in helocraft. I'm sure some of you with your oil field jobs have done it in the past, and perhaps some have on sight seeing tours have as well. I've never had a problem in any one I've ever ridden in. Anybody have a near miss story?

Reactions: westx
Reports are now coming out that it was either CFIT or malfunction of equipment. A cyclist called in a report of a helo in "trouble".

We're taking about one of the 10 greatest players of all time. We're taking about one of the greatest athetes of contemporary times.

And just like that he's gone along with his daughter and 7 other people. I really don't know what to say.

RIP
Kobe Bryant
1978-2020

Reactions: freeper and westx
9 people on board.

Saturday night -- less than 24 hours before -- Lebron passed Kobe for #3 on the all-time scorers list. Kobe was at the game, and they "had a moment." I'm glad for Lebron.

Wife and 3 other daughters left behind. 17 YO, 3 YO and 6 month.

Let's play this out.

9 folks on board.

Kobe owns the Sikorsky 76 helocraft. Kobe's estate will sue the maintenance company depending on the findings of the NTSB and FAA.
The coach's remaining family will sue the same maintenance company as well as the Bryant's estate.

I have yet to see evidence of what the possible causes of the crash could be. Weather? Trees? Power lines? Failed equipment? Loss of power?

Whatever the cause, impact with terra ferma was the result. A helocraft has to be operating properly on all three axes of rotation. Remove one axis and sh!t gets super hairy, really quick. As most of you dudes know, Bernoulli and his principles don't apply in this case which is why I fvcking hate riding in whirly birds.

It's a crappy situation all the way around. Nothing good will come of this. Someone get @GuaranteedFresh! In here to expound on the dangers of riding in helocraft. I'm sure some of you with your oil field jobs have done it in the past, and perhaps some have on sight seeing tours have as well. I've never had a problem in any one I've ever ridden in. Anybody have a near miss story?
Flew in a helicopter in Kauai and it will be the last for me. Don’t trust it and now in less than a year two crashes that I know about. No thx.

Let's play this out.

9 folks on board.

As of this morning they are saying it was pilot error. They said that the likelihood of the twin engine failure on that aircraft is highly unlikely but not ruled out. He was flying without his instruments in poor visibility. Should have more information released throughout the day.

From what I've read it was very low visibility due to dense fog so naturally the pilot should be flying instrument. Even though it was a short flight that they've run hundreds of times, I doubt it was pilot error.
Had to be a catastrophic mechanical failure or faulty TAWS in my opinion. The pictures look like they were cruising along and hit vs just dropping down.
It sucks whenever a bird goes down with people but it really hits hard when there's children aboard.

It's very sad all of those that lost their lives yesterday in the helicopter crash. It would great if this nation would give the attention to our military, law enforcement, and first responders whose lives are lost like they give a basketball player.
I had this discussion with my veteran cousin. He gets upset that our military doesn’t get this much coverage. I agree. With that said the Americans that serve our country and are KIA are not constantly on tv and we don’t get to “live” through them on a basketball court, football field, tennis court or a pitch. Not saying they don’t deserve the same respect or even more but that’s reality. We don’t know the fallen soldier like we know our sports “heros”. This is also why when people get upset for someone kneeling in my opinion SOME of it’s false patriotism. Why aren’t we all this pissed about our veterans not getting enough attention? Exactly!

Reactions: LonghornMM
Flew in a helicopter in Kauai and it will be the last for me. Don’t trust it and now in less than a year two crashes that I know about. No thx.
Did the same trip in Kauai on my wedding there. Enjoyed it, but won’t do it again. Brother in-law has a private plane here in town and we refuse to fly with him. Especially with kids, not worth the risk, no matter how small the chances.

Reactions: LongfellowDrew
Did the same trip in Kauai on my wedding there. Enjoyed it, but won’t do it again. Brother in-law has a private plane here in town and we refuse to fly with him. Especially with kids, not worth the risk, no matter how small the chances.
I get your perspective but even small airplanes, in my opinion, are safer than helos. If you lose thrust in a plane, you can still create lift over the wings via gliding. It's all stick and rudder and continuing to get air flow over and under your wings until you find a safe patch to land. If you lose lift on a helo, you're nothing more than a rock with no wings and gravity always wins. What I mean is, in a winged craft, if the SHTF, you've got a second chance. No second chance in a helo.

From what I've read it was very low visibility due to dense fog so naturally the pilot should be flying instrument. Even though it was a short flight that they've run hundreds of times, I doubt it was pilot error.
Had to be a catastrophic mechanical failure or faulty TAWS in my opinion. The pictures look like they were cruising along and hit vs just dropping down.
It sucks whenever a bird goes down with people but it really hits hard when there's children aboard.
I saw the video my daughter sent me. It whirled straight down sideways and circles.

It's very sad all of those that lost their lives yesterday in the helicopter crash. It would great if this nation would give the attention to our military, law enforcement, and first responders whose lives are lost like they give a basketball player.
Very sad indeed. Agree about keeping things in perspective. I’m more sad about the kids that lost their lives actually but they are hopefully in a much better place. RIP to all of those folks and prayers for their coping families. I’m sure the attorneys are already lining up.

Reactions: freeper and westx
Can you link that video please

After looking at it closer, I don't think that is the real video. As Drew said, it looks like the Grand Canyon and the hillside in the Kobe crash was grassy. Sorry gents, I didn't question it at first when it was sent to me, but I don't think it is it.

Last edited:
I have a very good friend who has lived on Kauai over 40 years. "How do you know that you're on the prettiest spot on the island? There's a helicopter overhead."

Reactions: LongfellowDrew
My dad flew fighters over Europe "for the duration" during WWII. Whenever a local doctor crashed his plane, he would tell me, "when I was in the Air Corps, I flew every day and I was pretty good. Now I'm a doctor and I practice medicine every day and I'm pretty good. I don't fly once a month."

ADVERTISEMENT