Late Night Bites - 5-star DE on Texas defense: "They were eating"

Cole Patterson

Gold Member
Jul 21, 2021
Fh5nk35XwAEf4du.jpeg

Caught up with Colin Simmons and Ka'Davion Dotson tonight following Duncanville's 41-0 playoff win. Simmons was in Austin last weekend for the TCU game.

-- Simmons really enjoyed himself on campus, even in spite of the loss. He spoke really highly of the fans, the atmosphere in Austin, and the energy throughout the game. Simmons mentioned how the defense played really well and he paid close attention to how DeMarvion Overshown performed.

-- It was big for Texas to get Simmons on campus. Simmons has always told OB that Texas is at or near the top of his list, but it's always good when those actions back up the words. He was able to spend some time with the coaches, players, and other commits while at the game. The 5-star took notice of how the Texas edges played against TCU, coming away really impressed.

"The way they were using their linebackers and edges -- oh my God. They were eating that night. Going crazy," Simmons said.

-- Ka'Davion Dotson is another top 2024 target for Texas on the defensive side. He plans to come out with a top list of schools in the very near future, and the Longhorns have done a good job of establishing themselves as a contender for the Rivals100 DB. Dotson didn't visit anywhere last weekend but said he may visit Texas next week, depending on what day Duncanville plays (they're set to play against The Woodlands in Pflugerville).

-- Texas safeties coach Blake Gideon is a big reason why Texas is firmly in the mix for the four-star prospect.

"Coach Gideon is my dog. He's a legend. I'd love to be coached by him," Dotson told OB.

Arkansas, LSU, and Oregon are other contenders for Dotson.

Texas has yet to offer, but I have to bring up RB Caden Durham. Durham had a four-touchdown performance tonight -- weeks after scoring five against DeSoto. He's certainly due for a strong rating at the next rankings update for his monster junior season. Alabama and Oklahoma are two early contenders. I would imagine Texas jumps into the mix sooner than later.

Latest posts

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.