ADVERTISEMENT

Let's see a show of hands here

Belldozer1

Aug 20, 2014
So I graduated in the late 80's from the New Braunfels fighting Unicorns and I played baseball thru high school. Now let me preface this by admitting I'm getting old etc. and don't keep up with the times but I'm watching this attached video and Carlton Fisk makes mention that he wore a metal cup while catching, I think he retired early 90's. Now I can assure you we weren't using metal cups hell I don't think they existed back when I played. Did anyone else on here that came up in the late 80's early 90's use a metal cup?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: danhorn
No. It's a joke. Clank.
Are you saying he was joking and he didn’t wear a metal one? I was looking online and they exist today, maybe they were around back then? He was saying something to the effect about a fastball breaking his plastic one and after that he switched to metal.

Are you saying he was joking and he didn’t wear a metal one? I was looking online and they exist today, maybe they were around back then? He was saying something to the effect about a fastball breaking his plastic one and after that he switched to metal.
Metal composites that exist today didn't exist in the firm they do now, back then. If you go back through the baseball history websites, there's no mention of metal cups. This leaves me with the conclusion that a metal cup is some form of joke-- and Fisk is poking fun T himself in some way. Yogi is notorious for self deprication. I'm assuming Fisk is trying to do the same.

I played ball into the early 80s....never saw a metal cup....always wore a plastic one....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT