ADVERTISEMENT

Letters of Intent

FlourBluffHorn

Jan 5, 2007
I remember back in the day , it was DKR that told ya if you was good enough to play here, if ya wasn't he would tell ya up front for sure and that would be a sign that ya wasn't gonna play here. Things have changed , that's for sure

05d763e81c1a76417da48bd7cb40ff782a572744_zpswj0nnmgd.jpg

Hook'em

I liked DKR's comment that when he was recruiting schoolboys, they were prospects. Once they signed, they became suspects.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
He could see a fly on your ass from the drill tower, and if ya messed up he would let ya know in 60 y yrs so many players and coaches with different ideas, I really thought MB was gonna be like DKR until he just crashed, well, the bar is set real high by Texas fans and its hard to achieve, I tell ya MB didn't beat DKR and they would not let him beat his record, the cards wasn't right for MB , Saturn wasn't lined up with Mars or some shit, it will always make me wonder if they would have let him do it, so close, 1 Trophy and I Buss ride home

Hook'em

Last edited:
FB, I loved Coach Royal and I love Coach Brown. Both did great things at Texas. However, Royal had his faults too. His teams failed at times, just as all teams do under all coaches. Towards the end, he wasn't exactly setting the world on fire at UT.

they burnout fast at Big Unis I guess, To the old guys DKR was it and to the young guys MB was it I guess, but at Texas as long as ya winning your good, but start losing and you are bad, everybody loves a winner MM,,, I still think the SWC was rougher than the Big 12..LOL

Hook'em

FB, I loved Coach Royal and I love Coach Brown. Both did great things at Texas. However, Royal had his faults too. His teams failed at times, just as all teams do under all coaches. Towards the end, he wasn't exactly setting the world on fire at UT.

My father was a small money donor. But he knew some big money guys. Those guys said at the time that Darrell's drinking had gotten out of hand. When that first child died, things got worse.

MM I appreciated Mack for bringing back Texas football. We all owe him a debt of gratitude. However....he was no DKR and perhaps that was his biggest offense. Had he had DKR's mentality, he might very well have won a Natty in both 2008 and 2009. He did not because he was a gentleman and believed he could prosper by merely winning games and not crushing the spirit of opposing teams. In short, he never ran up a score if he could help it. That prevented him from getting valuable snaps to his younger players during game time. That is why GG had almost no experience in the title game when he had to come in for Colt. DKR on the other hand never took his foot off the gas. He just ran in the second team to go all out, and then ran in the third team. Everyone on the bench had game time experience. Did you know that in 1969 no first teamer played enough minutes to earn a letter under the then current rules?

In 2008, Texas could have/should have punished opponents so bad that OU would have NEVER gotten the nod over Texas to play for the title.

Had Mack won just one more title, he would still be the coach here today.Had he won two they would have renamed Austin Mackville.

My father was a small money donor. But he knew some big money guys. Those guys said at the time that Darrell's drinking had gotten out of hand. When that first child died, things got worse.

I imagine if I lost a child, I woulda done the same as him, he probably had a lotta pressure on him from them Big money guys also before the child died, there has been no coach at Texas that didn't have his ass close to the fire, the Big money guys have different outlook than we do, we know we gonna lose a few and they want them all won regardless, no excuses, cause they hired the Coach, there is power in having a lotta money, betcha every Coach had a winning and losing clause in the contract.

Hook'em

MM I appreciated Mack for bringing back Texas football. We all owe him a debt of gratitude. However....he was no DKR and perhaps that was his biggest offense. Had he had DKR's mentality, he might very well have won a Natty in both 2008 and 2009. He did not because he was a gentleman and believed he could prosper by merely winning games and not crushing the spirit of opposing teams. In short, he never ran up a score if he could help it. That prevented him from getting valuable snaps to his younger players during game time. That is why GG had almost no experience in the title game when he had to come in for Colt. DKR on the other hand never took his foot off the gas. He just ran in the second team to go all out, and then ran in the third team. Everyone on the bench had game time experience. Did you know that in 1969 no first teamer played enough minutes to earn a letter under the then current rules?

In 2008, Texas could have/should have punished opponents so bad that OU would have NEVER gotten the nod over Texas to play for the title.

Had Mack won just one more title, he would still be the coach here today.Had he won two they would have renamed Austin Mackville.

Put Mack Brown coaching last year in Red River against an OU team coming off of a loss.
It would have been 55-10.
Brown's biggest fault was preparing teams and then making corrections during the game because he relied on his coordinators.
DKR was a lot more hands on. His biggest fault was that UT could not use their entire population.
Before the game of the century in 1969 DKR already had the play for a 2 point conversion. He told the play to James Street on the bus. Reason why was that in 1964 against the Piggies UT missed out on a NC because of a failed 2 point conversion.

To me Herman is the best of both.
A football coach who wants to be involved in the game plan and an excellent recruiter.

Once Aggy goes 6-6 and UT wins at least 9 this year.
It will be goodbye to A&M

Last edited:
Reactions: oldhorn2
ADVERTISEMENT