ADVERTISEMENT

Longhorn Football

dj701919

Nov 20, 2012
Has anyone heard anything meaningful about the team going into August?

Great topic. It’s about that time to start gathering scoop for Longhorn football. Unfortunately, I know nothing.

We are still missing on big time OL recruits. If Kerstetter is in the starting line-up for game 1, that means that we missed on Tyler Johnson, Isaiah Hookfin, and ran off Javonne Shepard.

So the Horns didn't have a BBQ weekend like Riley did at OU? Sooners getting some good results. Only 55 more days.

We are still missing on big time OL recruits. If Kerstetter is in the starting line-up for game 1, that means that we missed on Tyler Johnson, Isaiah Hookfin, and ran off Javonne Shepard.
I think its impossible that Kerstetter will start. He played all year with a fracture and then in the KSU game it fractured completely. He's limited even when healthy. With Johnson, Jones, and Karic, were fine.

So is the Horn OL looking about like last year's? Assume some improvement. If not, can't wait to Oct. 9. OU Dline may be best we have had in many years.

So is the Horn OL looking about like last year's? Assume some improvement. If not, can't wait to Oct. 9. OU Dline may be best we have had in many years.
The OK recruit that worries me is Clayton Smith. If he's as good as I'm afraid he is it doesn't bode well for the rest of the Big XII.

The offensive line will be good this year. Jake Majors will start at center. He was an improvement over Kerstetter. The run game really bumped up when Majors and B Robinson started.

The big question will be QB. I don't know if we have a QB who can win out of the blocks.

Reactions: weevilcatch
The offensive line will be good this year. Jake Majors will start at center. He was an improvement over Kerstetter. The run game really bumped up when Majors and B Robinson started.

The big question will be QB. I don't know if we have a QB who can win out of the blocks.

Yeah, QB will be frustrating at times, but also very exciting.

We need the run game to be elite.

Our Oline did not look good during the Spring game, and lost it's best and most experienced member.

after the first 3 games y'all will be so over whelmed with guilt at not believing this is the first legitimate team we have fielded in years that you should hang your heads in shame......but you will be happy...

after the first 3 games y'all will be so over whelmed with guilt at not believing this is the first legitimate team we have fielded in years that you should hang your heads in shame......but you will be happy...

I've never heard that before.

I saw something I think it was TX homer and somebody was asking about all the transfers coming in. They said only 1 will end up starting. But he said the greater point was creating a sense of urgency. I guess that's part of the all gas no breaks mantra.

we have a chance to be pretty damned good.....not Bama or Clemson good, but good enough to take care of most teams...

In football, you win upfront. At this moment, I have no reason to believe that our Oline will be better than last year.

In football, you win upfront. At this moment, I have no reason to believe that our Oline will be better than last year.
I'm not worried about the line. This team lives and dies with the QB and WR play. This team will go as far as the QB & WR's can take them. Teams are going to stack the box and dare the new QB to beat them. The QB will need to have mastered Sark's vast playbook.

The defense is also a concern. We have a solid DL and secondary. I think the new transfers will help considerably at LB and edge. I am wary of a gimmicky defense but the new coach has many more skins on the wall than Orlando. I don't think he blitz's from deep secondary every play.

Reactions: freeper
I'm not worried about the line. This team lives and dies with the QB and WR play. This team will go as far as the QB & WR's can take them. Teams are going to stack the box and dare the new QB to beat them. The QB will need to have mastered Sark's vast playbook.

The defense is also a concern. We have a solid DL and secondary. I think the new transfers will help considerably at LB and edge. I am wary of a gimmicky defense but the new coach has many more skins on the wall than Orlando. I don't think he blitz's from deep secondary every play.

Are you suggesting that our Oline is not a weakness or that it does not directly impact the performance of our QB?

Are you suggesting that our Oline is not a weakness or that it does not directly impact the performance of our QB?
It's not a weakness. Kerstetter is a much better tackle than center. We will be better at the Oline this year. The starters were split in the spring game. Our Dline may be the best in the B12. The Oline played well last year after the Kerstetter injury. How does B Robinson averaging almost 9 yards per carry imply we have a bad Oline?

Looking back on Ricky's Heisman season if I remember correctly only 1 of his ol played in the NFL. But Mack came in and they formed an ol built to Ricky's talents. I guess they will build an ol to match Bijan's strengths.

Kwiatkowski’s defenses at UW were known for their big, tough, mean DLs and LBs. Thankfully, no blitzing safeties.

It's not a weakness. Kerstetter is a much better tackle than center. We will be better at the Oline this year. The starters were split in the spring game. Our Dline may be the best in the B12. The Oline played well last year after the Kerstetter injury. How does B Robinson averaging almost 9 yards per carry imply we have a bad Oline?
Nueces gets it! Frankly, I think we had a pretty good team last year. Tom was just too over Mensa'ed to recognize it or how best to use it. I would be amazed if he ever got a HC gig again. Now, back to what Nueces said about the Oline. We dont know if Flood can coach a lick, but Sabin seemed to have thought so. The fact is that the Oline did pretty well after Cosmi and Kersetter were not out there......and that has to indicate a degree of talent. Think about it.....How many Big12 teams could lose their best 2 Olinemen and still show good production?

to add to what I just said....Either our Oline was damned good last year with out the best 2 linemen.....or Bijan is completely other worldly and will damned near score at will with an even average Oline....9 yds per carry with a ragtag Oline?...My God!

to add to what I just said....Either our Oline was damned good last year with out the best 2 linemen.....or Bijan is completely other worldly and will damned near score at will with an even average Oline....9 yds per carry with a ragtag Oline?...My God!
Kerstetter was not our 2nd best ol he was our worst. Karic, Majors, and maybe Johnson or Jones could be the change we've been waiting for.

I dont agree Kersetter was our worst Olineman....He started as a freshman. He has just been poorly coached. Hopefully Flood is not just the latest "much better Oline coach" that we have been promised from Wickline to....crap, I can't think of all of them, but I think there have been 4. No wonder we cannot develop any Oline guys( or recruit em for that matter)

I dont agree Kersetter was our worst Olineman....He started as a freshman. He has just been poorly coached. Hopefully Flood is not just the latest "much better Oline coach" that we have been promised from Wickline to....crap, I can't think of all of them, but I think there have been 4. No wonder we cannot develop any Oline guys( or recruit em for that matter)
Kerstetter is not a natural center. He is a tackle. He played center because we needed him. He should be commended for doing it. Herman was at fault because he couldn't find a center. Majors is a natural center and a good one. We will be much better this year. Kerstetter is back at tackle and our 2-3 deep is stacked. We have all the pieces except for QB and a WR that can stretch the defense. We are close. Can we put it together in year 1? We are about to find out.

Clob's review on technique and discipline will be the tell.

Reactions: oldhorn2
ADVERTISEMENT