ADVERTISEMENT

Loses to Liberty and UTSA?

Belldozer1

Aug 20, 2014
I've seen some monumental collapses but this one may be one for the ages.

You know it looked to me that Matt Rhule was the perfect choice to replace to Art Briles. You couldn't have found anyone more different. He had success at Temple. We'll find out.

Matt Rhule is probably a good coach. He gas very little chance of any early success. To many transfers and decommits over the last 2 years. You are basically stsrting over.

Reactions: westx
They could very well be 0-7 when they face the Horns. Their schedule is going to simply drown them with Duke, OU,K-State, Okie St. then West Virginia before Texas. Too bad !

I didn't see either game, but they shouldn't be this bad. I would guess a lot of players are just mailing it in for Rhule. He is a well respected coach.

Well, I watched every play. And the Bears are THAT bad. UTSA basically ran it every play, and we couldn't stop them. Our offense consisted of a recovered muffed punt. We have no O Line (2 starters lost to season ending injuries during spring), no D Line, a QB transfer that is running for his life wondering why KD Cannon and the dog beater turned pro early. I don't think its a mail in. I think it is a lack of talent. Rhule is not stupid - he negotiated a 7 year contract. Good news/Bad news - 6 years and 10 games left in the Matt Rhule era. Here is my Christmas Present for all my Orangeblood friends: Duke at home -13. WHAT??? This will be a 30 point game. Get down early before this line goes crazy.

I honestly thought Baylor would lose a few Big 12 games but never thought it would be like this. Has Baylor been given a reduction of scholarships or anything?

I'll have to take your word for it. Rhule is a respected coach but I knew Baylor was never going to get back to the level Briles had them at, but being out talented by Liberty and UTSA is quite the drop from just being a 6 win bottom tier P5 program which where I expected them to be. That's why I assume the players are just phoning it in.

I honestly thought Baylor would lose a few Big 12 games but never thought it would be like this. Has Baylor been given a reduction of scholarships or anything?
We had a lot of attrition, but no scholarship reductions. The biggest disconnect of this whole fiasco - if Briles was so amoral that he promoted a culture of rape, then how in the world would he draw the line at paying players?

No actual reduction in scholarships but most in not all of their incoming freshman class of 2016 decommited after the scandal broke and Briles was fired. I'm sure the class of 2017 wasn't good. So they basically have no freshman or sophmore class. I'm sure they had a few would be Jr's and Sr's transfer out to. It's basically a shell of a program almost like what you'd see after sanctions.

How many defected from the 2016 class? I thought it was 6, and yeah I imagine their 2017 class sucked (ranked 40th btw). That certainly hurts things for being competitive in a major conference, but that doesn't mean losses to Liberty and UTSA.

Either a good portion of the roster isn't buying into Rhule, or he is Baylor's Charlie Strong.

Off the top of my head - KD Cannon and dog beater, top 2 WR's, left early. Blanchard, our best DB, is suspended while reviewing his domestic dispute (seriously dude??? WTH??). Two starting OL tore up knees and are out for year. Hasty and T Williams (our top 2 returning RB's) are out injured. Even under Briles, we had speed but no depth (hence a lot of 61-58 games). Add in that the top 6 recruits from 2016 bolted, a lackluster 2017 class (BTW you are in trouble if you are depending on them this year), and other defections that should now be contributing (see Stidham) - this is a roster needing help at every position. But I didn't expect this.

Reactions: bubba2023
How many defected from the 2016 class? I thought it was 6, and yeah I imagine their 2017 class sucked (ranked 40th btw). That certainly hurts things for being competitive in a major conference, but that doesn't mean losses to Liberty and UTSA.

Either a good portion of the roster isn't buying into Rhule, or he is Baylor's Charlie Strong.
It may not necessarily be buying in to Rhule as much as it is just being checked out in general. Last year started 6-0. Lost the 1 point game to UT and then just got drubbed for 5 straight weeks. It was like once they dropped a game that was it everyone checked out. Seems to have continued in to this year.

Off the top of my head - KD Cannon and dog beater, top 2 WR's, left early. Blanchard, our best DB, is suspended while reviewing his domestic dispute (seriously dude??? WTH??). Two starting OL tore up knees and are out for year. Hasty and T Williams (our top 2 returning RB's) are out injured. Even under Briles, we had speed but no depth (hence a lot of 61-58 games). Add in that the top 6 recruits from 2016 bolted, a lackluster 2017 class (BTW you are in trouble if you are depending on them this year), and other defections that should now be contributing (see Stidham) - this is a roster needing help at every position. But I didn't expect this.

If I remember correctly it was their top 9 recruits from 2016, not top 6, who xfrd. And from what I understand when you consider that Baylor had only one commit when Rhule was hired they actually have a good freshman class. By some Big XII accounts only TX and OK we're ranked higher. They also signed some 4* players from out of state.

As I said earlier Rhule did something that Briles wouldn't have even considered. Their best player Travon Blanchard was kicked off the team. You can see how bad their defense is without him and Big XII play hasn't even started yet. Their second best player Terrance Williams is out with a shoulder injury and may not play again.

Finally there is for all intents and purposes a completely new football staff. I'm not just talking about the ad and coaching staff I mean everybody. Even the secretaries. Finally one day a lot of Baylor fans are going to realize just how many of those Baylor players from the Briles era never really gave a damn about the school they played for. Most of them only cared about fb and doing just good enough to get by in school. You'd be astounded by how many of their players graduated with completely worthless degrees. As we all know every school has their own personality, their own traditions, and cultures. Were grateful at UT that most of our players grew to appreciate it. It was the exact opposite at Baylor under the Briles regime. I'm just now starting to realize just how much the football culture at Baylor needs to be changed. A lot more than i realized.

And Art Briles is chilling at his place in Horseshoe Bay, 60 years old, counting his millions financially set for life and not having to truly answer for what he created.

And the innocent, the new coaches, and their 2017 recruits, the future Baylor players are going to suffer and suffer.

Last edited:
No kidding. The guy is weird and has mental issues.
Oh hey crazy sumbitch. Nice to see you make an appearance. Any outlandish predictions for the UT vs USC game you'd like to throw down BEFORE the game? None of that "I told you so" after the game you've been known for.

Finally one day a lot of Baylor fans are going to realize just how many of those Baylor players from the Briles era never really gave a damn about the school they played for. Most of them only cared about fb and doing just good enough to get by in school. You'd be astounded by how many of their players graduated with completely worthless degrees. As we all know every school has their own personality, their own traditions, and cultures. Were grateful at UT that most of our players grew to appreciate it. It was the exact opposite at Baylor under the Briles regime. I'm just now starting to realize just how much the football culture at Baylor needs to be changed. A lot more than i realized.

And Art Briles is chilling at his place in Horseshoe Bay, 60 years old, counting his millions financially set for life and not having to truly answer for what he created.

And the innocent, the new coaches, and their 2017 recruits, the future Baylor players are going to suffer and suffer.
If Cali is correct, Art Briles was a straight out mercenary. Did anyone at Baylor or even elsewhere realize this? I had no idea.

Realize what? FB players don't care about school, or that Briles is rich and not going to jail?

From 2008 through 2015, when Briles was running Baylor, did you have any idea that he was completely in it for himself, without any concern for morals, but only for the $$$? That he was a mercenary?

Or is that even true? It'd be good if we had a Baylor version of Clob to verify.

Aside from the without any morals part yes. Otherwise you are pretty much describing 90% of college programs. 90% of other jobs as well. I am not really sure what revelation you are seeing? We've all discovered that Briles' moral compass makes him the scum of the earth, the fact that he was making a crapload of money coaching for Baylor despite having no real feelings for the program is nothing new to the coaching world.

Reactions: diadevic
From 2008 through 2015, when Briles was running Baylor, did you have any idea that he was completely in it for himself, without any concern for morals, but only for the $$$? That he was a mercenary?

Or is that even true? It'd be good if we had a Baylor version of Clob to verify.
My next door neighbor was a couple of years older than I. She was our homecoming queen (gorgeous girl) and was given a scholarship to Baylor for basketball. I'll save the Grant Teaff/ Chuck reedy stories for a later date-- but she stayed very active inside the baylor community after her graduation and on several occasions she would make remarks about the shadows during Briles tenure.

My next door neighbor was a couple of years older than I. She was our homecoming queen (gorgeous girl) and was given a scholarship to Baylor for basketball. I'll save the Grant Teaff/ Chuck reedy stories for a later date-- but she stayed very active inside the baylor community after her graduation and on several occasions she would make remarks about the shadows during Briles tenure.
Whenever you are ready, start that thread on Reedy. I always wondered about him because he came from Clemson under Danny Ford, one of the dirtiest around, and he wasn't Southern Baptist. How in the world did he end up at Baylor?

Whenever you are ready, start that thread on Reedy. I always wondered about him because he came from Clemson under Danny Ford, one of the dirtiest around, and he wasn't Southern Baptist. How in the world did he end up at Baylor?
He was, for CERTAIN, not a Christian. You don't do what he did (in this particular case involving me) and get to wave your jesus flag.

Realize what? FB players don't care about school, or that Briles is rich and not going to jail?

I disagree. We've hag a lot of players at UT who have strong feelings about being a Texas Longhorn while they were there. There are too many Baylor players who don't have a diploma or a job.
Aside from the without any morals part yes. Otherwise you are pretty much describing 90% of college programs. 90% of other jobs as well. I am not really sure what revelation you are seeing? We've all discovered that Briles' moral compass makes him the scum of the earth, the fact that he was making a crapload of money coaching for Baylor despite having no real feelings for the program is nothing new to the coaching world.

Well let me put it this way. Yes 90% of the programs are like that I don't have even one shred of argument on that.

But when someone gets caught in the act and you get the details it still angers me. I mean I'm 60 years old and I've seen it all. But it still pi**es me off.

I probably have at least a dozen family members and friends I've known at least 40 years that went to Baylornd they've admitted they are ashamed of their program. These friends of mine really take Baylor's Christian mission seriously. I feel for them.

And I'm convinced that a lot of players and coaches at the University of Texas have great feelings for the school. I mean Darrell Royal, Earl Campbell, the last goes on and on.

I disagree. We've hag a lot of players at UT who have strong feelings about being a Texas Longhorn while they were there. There are too many Baylor players who don't have a diploma or a job.

Well let me put it this way. Yes 90% of the programs are like that I don't have even one shred of argument on that.

But when someone gets caught in the act and you get the details it still angers me. I mean I'm 60 years old and I've seen it all. But it still pi**es me off.

I probably have at least a dozen family members and friends I've known at least 40 years that went to Baylornd they've admitted they are ashamed of their program. These friends of mine really take Baylor's Christian mission seriously. I feel for them.

And I'm convinced that a lot of players and coaches at the University of Texas have great feelings for the school. I mean Darrell Royal, Earl Campbell, the last goes on and on.
Feelings are great! I used to be a huge fan of OJ simpson......and then one day, OJ "allegedly" cut off his wife's head and stabbed another dude to death. I was no longer an OJ fan after that.

I was, at one point of my life, very proud that Joe Pa sat on my couch and offered me a scholarship. Now, I rarely tell that story any more and, though no fault of my own, am not so proud of it these days.

Baylol did the oldest of the old moves- they sold their soul for something they thought would be better. The first lesson taught to humanity in the bible is this:
God- "Hey! You two! See this awesome place? Knock yourself out. See that tree over there? Leave it the fvck alone. Don't touch the fvcking tree.....got it?"
A&E- "Sure man! No tree. Got it"
Snake- "Seriously, try this. Nobody will know. Tastes like chicken."
Eve- "But.....the rules are 'don't touch the tree.'"
Snake- "Pfffft......rules are for suckers!"
Eve- "You're right. Nobody will know..."
God-- "GTFO!"

Reactions: LonghornMM
ADVERTISEMENT