ADVERTISEMENT

Mad props to Baylor football

jsto60

Sep 3, 2005
Clearly they learned from this year missing the playoffs.

They just locked in La Tech to their non conf schedule for 2020-2022. Two home games, one in La Tech.

So I ask you Aggie fans, now that Baylor is taking cues from you and La Tech is off the table........will you be relegated to rock Sam Houston St and ATM Prairie View in football OOC for the early 2020s.

Originally posted by jsto60:
Clearly they learned from this year missing the playoffs.

They just locked in La Tech to their non conf schedule for 2020-2022. Two home games, one in La Tech.

So I ask you Aggie fans, now that Baylor is taking cues from you and La Tech is off the table........will you be relegated to rock Sam Houston St and ATM Prairie View in football OOC for the early 2020s.
They have one series with a Power 5 conference member in the next 5 years..............Duke.

their scheduling model (if you want to call it that, its just as easy as possible) was developed when their only goal was to make a bowl game. Get three sure wins on the schedule, hope you can beat ISU and KU, and you are one win a way from a bowl.

Now they have to weigh their options. If the goals are more lofty now, do they count on Texas and OU to come back to being annual top 10 teams to beef up their schedule, or do they write off one or both of them and try to schedule non con top 25 teams to pad the schedule.

Originally posted by horn01:
their scheduling model (if you want to call it that, its just as easy as possible) was developed when their only goal was to make a bowl game. Get three sure wins on the schedule, hope you can beat ISU and KU, and you are one win a way from a bowl.

Now they have to weigh their options. If the goals are more lofty now, do they count on Texas and OU to come back to being annual top 10 teams to beef up their schedule, or do they write off one or both of them and try to schedule non con top 25 teams to pad the schedule.

I think realistically with the new playoff format, you just have to win as many games as possible and have a stronger schedule than the next guy who has the same record as you.

So to do that, you gotta control what you can.....which is having a decent OOC. You are not in control of how your in conference foes will fan out in any given year.

Baylor and hell everyones goal should be to win an NC. Sure that isn't realistic for schools like La Tech or ATM or New Mexico St or Vanderbilt. But you still should try. I say if you set a weak OOC and it hurts you....sorry bud but thats on you. And BU and the rest of the world were smart enough to see this coming in the playoff format. Hell they only debated it for the years that the format was agreed to and set to start years later (being this year). Everyone was saying they had to beef up OOC to help for the playoff push. If BU was shocked by it, thats their bad. Now I get that maybe they never thought they had a chance to be in it and just wanted bowl elig. How very Aggie of them.

Not only that, but it is starting to look like they kicked a homeless kid off their team and blamed the NCAA for the whole thing. It may bite them in the @ss when everything comes out.

I agree with everything you are saying...if you wan't to leave no question you schedule as tough a schedule as possible, because you can't depend on any particular team to be good in any given season.

My point is that Baylor is coming from a mind set of doing as little as possible to achieve the best record possible, and didn't take a hint when other teams started intentionally beefing up their schedule. From that mindset, it looks risky to schedule perennial top 25 teams in non con when you face 3-4 during you conference schedule. They should be looking at it as risky not to do that.

This post was edited on 2/26 5:01 PM by horn01

This post was edited on 2/26 5:02 PM by horn01

This post was edited on 2/26 5:03 PM by horn01

(a) If Terry Bradshaw has a great grandson, this could be a tough series.

(b) Nacitas - this kid demonstrates why the NCAA's time has passed. The kid lived on couches, and even slept outside at Cameron Park. There has to be a common sense response to extreme situations like this.

I agree with everything you are saying...if you wan't to leave no question you schedule as tough a schedule as possible, because you can't depend on any particular team to be good in any given season.

My point is that Baylor is coming from a mind set of doing as little as possible to achieve the best record possible, and didn't take a hint when other teams started intentionally beefing up their schedule. From that mindset, it looks risky to schedule perennial top 25 teams in non con when you face 3-4 during you conference schedule. They should be looking at it as risky not to do that.

Your are right on the button. 4 years ago, just getting to a bowl was a monumental accomplishment for BU. The question is staying power. And it looks like as long as Briles is there, BU will be competitive. So time to step it up.

Evidently TCU had the right idea last year. Schedule Minnesota. A decent team, but not a real threat if you are a Top 10 contender. We (BU) need to find our Minnesota.

Originally posted by diadevic:

Your are right on the button. 4 years ago, just getting to a bowl was a monumental accomplishment for BU. The question is staying power. And it looks like as long as Briles is there, BU will be competitive. So time to step it up.

Evidently TCU had the right idea last year. Schedule Minnesota. A decent team, but not a real threat if you are a Top 10 contender. We (BU) need to find our Minnesota.
Haha, that's horrible. You guys want to be considered a big boy, right? Yeah, TCU got a bit more respect for playing a "decent team" but they also have (or have had) games or series with Arkansas, LSU, and Ohio State on the slate. Minnesota is, quite frankly, a lite year for them... and I still think they're missing the mark by scheduling FCS games.

Texas still needs to get back to competing for conference championships, but at the moment, due to perception of the Big 12, they're scheduling the way any team in the conference should be if they are expecting to be in the running for a play-off spot.

Basically, if Texas does decent in their OOC games and ANY Big 12 team makes the playoffs they probably have Texas to thank, in part. And there's no way a 1-loss Texas team with Cal/Notre Dame on the slate the next 2 years, Maryland/USC the next 2, and teams like LSU, Ohio State, and Michigan waiting in the wings, would ever be passed over. They're scheduling in the range where a 1-loss team could be potentially compared to an unbeaten team from another conference and would probably bypass any other 1-loss team.

Finding your "Minnesota" is ridiculous logic. Are you trying to trick the committee into getting in? Or are you trying to show that, "we're Baylor and we're as tough as any of the rest of you! get out of our way!"

Sorry, but if Baylor sticks with focusing on Lousisana Techs, Dukes, and even, yes, Minnesotas, then despite wanting to see the Big 12 get past their perception problem it makes it really hard for me to validate thinking they don't deserve criticism.

All of that said, the Louisiana Tech series is currently the only game that they have scheduled for those 3 seasons. SO... while it doesn't help them look like they're fixing it, it COULD... COULD... be that they wanted to get that out of the way so they could figure out a big home/home to go along with it.

I mean, even with Texas' really strong scheduling, we still have our one game a year against North Texas or Rice or UTEP or UCF (which is actually a bigger game than when it was scheduled) or Tulsa or USF. So if Louisiana Tech is that game for them, that will help.

I'm really puzzled though, why a fan of a team would want to pay money for season tickets to watch their team spend 2 or 3 games beating the snot out of Incarnate Word, UTSA, and Rice in the same season. Why would you spend money on that? It'd piss mess off as a fan. Give me something worth paying for. Worth watching!

If Baylor had played Minnesota last year, we would've been in. We didn't, and paid the price.

Ohio St. got in by playing Va Tech and nothing else. Alabama got in by playing West Virginia and nothing else. I submit those 2 were worse than Minnesota. The lesson learned was schedule one Power 5 game, preferably not against Alabama, and you have done enough to get in the Final 4.

I hate to bring up the good old day syndrome, but there was one year in the '80's when the U beat the champion of the Pac 10, Big 8, SWC, ACC and Big 10, all in one year (Miami was independent). With the Final 4 now the ultimate goal, no one will ever schedule that way again (to the detriment of the regular season).

Baylor will most likely suck by 2020. Very good team today, but the program is built on Briles. If he leaves, they will be Baylor again quickly.

Originally posted by diadevic:

If Baylor had played Minnesota last year, we would've been in. We didn't, and paid the price.

Ohio St. got in by playing Va Tech and nothing else. Alabama got in by playing West Virginia and nothing else. I submit those 2 were worse than Minnesota. The lesson learned was schedule one Power 5 game, preferably not against Alabama, and you have done enough to get in the Final 4.

I hate to bring up the good old day syndrome, but there was one year in the '80's when the U beat the champion of the Pac 10, Big 8, SWC, ACC and Big 10, all in one year (Miami was independent). With the Final 4 now the ultimate goal, no one will ever schedule that way again (to the detriment of the regular season).
Right now you're in the following situation. You're Baylor. They're Ohio State, Florida State, Oregon, and Alabama. They all have a built in advantage that Baylor does not. The name alone is an advantage. If Baylor's qualifications and Ohio State's... or Baylor's and USC's... or Baylor's and LSU's... or Baylor and Oklahoma's resume is pretty much even... the other team gets the advantage every time. The only reason they might not would be if, say, Baylor got snubbed one year and then they get the opportunity to do a "make up call" the next year. It's a fact of life. Does it suck? Yup. Is it unfair? Sure. But Ohio State got killed by a horrible team at home, ended the season slaughtering a couple of other reasonably big-name teams, and had the name power. Baylor (who, unfortunately, doesn't have the name power) lost to a better team than they did on the road and beat better teams (despite not playing anyone in their OOC slate). TCU (who also doesn't have the name power) lost to the best team of the three, played a mid-level team out of conference, and didn't get the nod. Also, the SEC and Pac 12 were basically assured spots because, fair or unfair, those two conferences don't have perception problems at the moment. The ACC got a team in because FSU was NC the year before and went unbeaten, so that plus their name power overcame the ACC's perception issues. The Big 10 and Big 12 have, recently/currently, had more of a perception problem (something that the Big 12 is helping, between their bowl wins, Ohio State's performance in the playoffs, and Michigan's coaching hire), whether that's fair or not. People on a national level aren't sure what to make of the Big 12. Its teams with name power are having down years. It wasn't that long ago that the teams that are winning the conference were really bad.

If you think there's a level playing field between Baylor and Ohio State, or Baylor and Alabama, or Baylor and USC... in a system that, whatever tweaks they've made, is still about perception and personal opinions... then I don't know what to tell you. Baylor should be playing like it has something to prove. I think last year that TCU and Baylor both DID have something to prove and, in an ideal world, they would have had a chance to prove it. But both have disadvantages to overcome and denying that is the case doesn't make it less true, it makes you delusional. Don't be delusional. I'd rather have seen the Big 12 represented in the playoff.

And NONE of that even addresses my other point. Why, as a fan, would you WANT your team to play the slates Baylor has signed up to play? WHY? That's not just boring... though it is boring... it's not just delusional... though it is delusional... but it's not worth the money to see the game... and it's just embarrassing! Trust me, as someone who went to a school whose team has played in plenty of big games... those are the games that actually made being a football fan worthwhile. Yeah, we're going to have a home opener against New Mexico State or something... which means that, aside from it being a home opener it's not great for the football aspect of things. But if you asked me if I could take BYU and UCLA off last year's slate and replace them with Incarnate Word and and UTSA... but I also had to replace Ohio State in 2005-2006...? I'd say HELL NO! Give me the tougher games with the excitement, the motivation it gives the team, and the memories (along with the occasional clunker that's bound to happen) rather than a vanilla schedule where I don't give a crap about going to the games at all. You're talking like someone who just wants to see the trophy, but doesn't care to watch the games.

This post was edited on 2/26 7:14 PM by misterTeasyEmalcomXf'inAkicksomeS

Originally posted by barkingwater2000:
How many times are you guys going to play Rice?
"You guys" being Texas or "you guys" being Baylor?

If you mean Texas, we used to play them every year since they were also in the SWC. Since forming the Big 12 we've played them 11 times in 19 years and, based on future schedules that are full through 2018, we'll play them 12 times in 23 seasons (as we have them on the slate 1 more time).

Texas has certainly played several 2-for-1 series with Rice, giving us two home games and a game in Houston... so yeah, if Baylor is doing something similar, fine. But that said, the years that we've played Rice as an OOC opponent we've also played...

-UCLA and Rutgers
-UCLA and New Mexico State
-NC State, Stanford, and Rutgers
-Arkansas, New Mexico State, and Tulane
-Arkansas and North Texas
-Ohio State and Louisiana-Laf
-Ohio State and North Texas
-TCU, UCF, and Arkansas State ****
-Arkansas, UTEP, and FAU
-UCLA, Wyoming, and FAU
-UCLA and BYU
-Notre Dame and Cal

Point being that Rice was never our biggest OOC game. Every year we played at least one "BCS Conference" opponent except for the year we played TCU (who, of course, now is in the Big 12). And, for what it's worth, I was one of the ones who felt that the 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th of those were too light since they only had one big opponent. I much prefer our current scheduling policy of 2 power-5 opponents (counting Notre Dame and BYU). I'm glad we started upgrading them, even if it means things are a bit rougher until we get back to where we're supposed to be.

Originally posted by mm42:
Baylor will most likely suck by 2020. Very good team today, but the program is built on Briles. If he leaves, they will be Baylor again quickly.
You should know. ATM was built on Slocum, and hasn't won a conference title since he left.

Originally posted by barkingwater2000:
How many times are you guys going to play Rice?
Why are you so "Obsessed" with who Texas plays? You're so "Obsessed" that you felt the need to take a shot at Texas scheduling in a thread about Baylor that doesn't even involve cheater u.

However, since you went their. Texas schedules Rice about as often as cheater u schedules Tulsa, and Rice has been to 3 consecutive bowl games.

There isn't a single team in a power 5 conference that schedules all power 5 opponents for non con. Texas is definitely on the better end of non conference scheduling. Two power 5 teams and a cupcake, but always at least a division 1 school. Knocking Texas' scheduling is a joke.

These posters on here mocking UT ot Baylor for playing Rice.

Excuse me but two years ago the owls won their first conference title in 57 years and went to the Liberty Bowl a respectable bowl. Last year they went to the Hawaii Bowl and won.

We all know they're not a P5 school but if they win their conference again it should be treated with respect by the playoff committee.

ADVERTISEMENT