ADVERTISEMENT

Mayfield crying

Running as a QB is starting to find more of a place in the NFL with the expanded protection rules. It will never be like the college game because the disparity in athleticism isn't there, but it's finding it's niche. The trick is developing the correct instincts to run in the NFL, and having a smart enough coach to weaponize it. None of those are givens.

Running as a QB is starting to find more of a place in the NFL with the expanded protection rules. It will never be like the college game because the disparity in athleticism isn't there, but it's finding it's niche. The trick is developing the correct instincts to run in the NFL, and having a smart enough coach to weaponize it. None of those are givens.

I agree with this somewhat. Russell Wilson has shown this in his game and has managed to stay fairly injury free during his career. I attribute that to him being a very smart guy. He rarely takes a straight on hit.

However, even big guys like Cam, VY and Big Ben have incurred significant injuries by running. Having good scrambling skills is a huge asset at any level, but if I'm an NFL coach, I don't want my QB running much. QB's are much too valuable to risk injury by having them run the ball against the level of guys playing in the NFL.

I agree with this somewhat. Russell Wilson has shown this in his game and has managed to stay fairly injury free during his career. I attribute that to him being a very smart guy. He rarely takes a straight on hit.

However, even big guys like Cam, VY and Big Ben have incurred significant injuries by running. Having good scrambling skills is a huge asset at any level, but if I'm an NFL coach, I don't want my QB running much. QB's are much too valuable to risk injury by having them run the ball against the level of guys playing in the NFL.

I think extending plays is what keeps you alive but straight running all the time will get you killed. I'm hoping Deshawn will be more of an extender not a runner and drafting an OL will keep these scrambling QBs just that and not an RB that can throw.

Ideally absolutely, but if you are an NFL coach you've got to take what you can get because QBs that can win on this level don't grow on trees, and not all of them come in the traditional pocket passer mold. Unless your fan base is one that will put up with you constantly losing giving you several chances with top picks.

Being sucessful in the NFL requires a QB to sit in the pocket and go through your progressions. The hardest part is throwing to spots on the field where guys who aren't open might end up being open for a split second. Becuase of the NFL hash marks there are no easy reads and the NFL refs spot the ball much slower than the college refs so there is no chance of getting vanallia looks on defense. Not saying Mayfield can't be sucessful in that type of setting but guys under 6 ft are more of the exception than the rule.

"Baker won so much hardware this year, I ain’t thinking he cares about your opinion. The truth is Oklahoma over achieved while Baker played there. Sooner board fans are demanding Lincoln fire Mike. They just signed 9 defensive players in the early signing period. That would be a bad move now. I’m enjoying the boards especially SS. Damn they are a brilliant bunch. This board is having fun because OU got beat. That figures from fans of a 7-6 team that throttled mighty Missouri forced to use a first time offfensive play caller. Back to comparing hardware again. I’m sorry if this offends anyone. This is the only board I post on. Anyway you need to get better to talk smack. It’s meaniless at the present time."

I wouldnt say ou "over achieved" while Mayfield was there......ou seems to start out hyped up by the media and in the polls just about every year. Granted only one team can win the national championship so theres no shame in ou losing in the playoffs.....nor is there no shame in ou having one national championship (the same exact amount TEXAS has while being in the BIG XII together.....TEXAS title being the more recent of the two) with all those conference titles. Sure i wish TEXAS had a few more conference championships but i would like to think they would've had more than 1 national championship if they were winning all those conference championships ou was winning. So did ou really over achieve while Mayfield was there or is it the same sooner teams underachieving on the big stage again? Big game bob or Lincoln.....still same results in big games.

The truth is Oklahoma over achieved while Baker played there.
Ehh. You guys own the conference, there's no doubt about that. But I've got to think you have to be getting tired of settling for conference titles, no? I have the feeling your fanbase is mad you squandered having that baller at QB with never grabbing the big one.

Ehh. You guys own the conference, there's no doubt about that. But I've got to think you have to be getting tired of settling for conference titles, no? I have the feeling your fanbase is mad you squandered having that baller at QB with never grabbing the big one.
I’ve never been one for outright calling for a coach’s head but enough is enough with Mike Stoops. Good grief. No pressure, 3 man fronts, 240lb linebacker playing end and expected to hold the edge in our “4-3”. Etc. Etc. The game passed both Stoops bros. by in my opinion.

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
I’ve never been one for outright calling for a coach’s head but enough is enough with Mike Stoops. Good grief. No pressure, 3 man fronts, 240lb linebacker playing end and expected to hold the edge in our “4-3”. Etc. Etc. The game passed both Stoops bros. by in my opinion.
mike-stoops.jpg

r960-1214b3894c9b6f75d5d0ea5d03750588.jpg

The game passed both Stoops bros. by in my opinion.

Think you’re a little hard on Bobby. Six 10+ win seasons in his last seven (three of those with 11 wins and one with 12) is pretty elite performance. Good for fifth among all P5 programs, actually. I think he and OU slipped in recruiting more than anything.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Think you’re a little hard on Bobby. Six 10+ win seasons in his last seven (three of those with 11 wins and one with 12) is pretty elite performance. Good for fifth among all P5 programs, actually. I think he and OU slipped in recruiting more than anything.
True but he did not have the fire to be a NC coach imo. Stoops knew the direction he wanted to go but wasn’t totally dedicated to get there anymore. Also, there’s no way he’s not still talking to Mike and putting his input in. He was okay with Mikes schemes the last couple years so I’m sure he still thinks Mikes scheme is sufficient.

Jake Trotter ESPN Staff Writer
Former Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield, who attended the OU-Texas basketball game Saturday, was asked about the Red River Showdown. He didn't mince words about the Longhorns: "You come to Oklahoma to beat Texas. I was born and raised in Austin. They didn't recruit me. I grew up 15 miles from their campus. I can't stand them. Anything they do, I don't care. I talked to the NFL guys and they said I need to calm it down a little bit. But when it comes to Texas, absolutely not. No. end of story."

Jake Trotter ESPN Staff Writer
Former Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield, who attended the OU-Texas basketball game Saturday, was asked about the Red River Showdown. He didn't mince words about the Longhorns: "You come to Oklahoma to beat Texas. I was born and raised in Austin. They didn't recruit me. I grew up 15 miles from their campus. I can't stand them. Anything they do, I don't care. I talked to the NFL guys and they said I need to calm it down a little bit. But when it comes to Texas, absolutely not. No. end of story."

Screw Mayfield. I hope he gets his ass kicked when he visits Austin. Dude will be a bust in the NFL. Mark it down.

OU didn’t recruit you either, crying baker.

Yeah, but a kid who grew up a stones throw from dkr, doesnt get recruited there and ends up going to their biggest rival and wins a heisman. I might have a chip on my shoulder too. yeah OU didnt offer, but he also didnt grew up in Norman. Just adds a little spice to the situation. He hates tx as much as you guys hate him, it's good for the rivalry =) dont act like you guys wouldnt love to have an OU hating heisman winner from norman.

Reactions: ASURAM2010
If you watched the Super Bowl you saw the Eagles running the Sooner O...R.P.O. plays from the spread. Chip Kelly brought to the NFL and Mayfield is going to take it to another level.

I will also say I did enjoy his absolute weeping after he blew it in the playoffs. Couldn't have happened to a bigger Dbag (rivaled only by the Boz who failed in the NFL like crying baker is about to).

Screen-Shot-2018-01-02-at-8.00.57-AM-613x586.png

Reactions: LonghornMM
Yes that would be funny but only to a certain extent. Nobody here would want someone who acts like that complete doosh though.

I doubt that. At least one person wouldnt mind one bit. Probably more than one.
I will also say I did enjoy his absolute weeping after he blew it in the playoffs. Couldn't have happened to a bigger Dbag (rivaled only by the Boz who failed in the NFL like crying baker is about to).

Screen-Shot-2018-01-02-at-8.00.57-AM-613x586.png

So he entertains you. That's why OU fans like him, he's entertaining. Are you not entertained?

Reactions: Scholz
I'm sorry but why should we longhorn fans give an f about Baker Mayfield anymore? He's yesterday's news. All those great stats he put up but they barely beat us.

I don't know or care how he does in the NFL. When it comes to OK qb's all I care about is the one we'll face on Oct 6th on Dallas.

F Baker Mayfield.

Last edited:
Hating on this kid is funny. Hating on anyone is funny. I’m an adult and I agree F-him and the dog he rode in on! Higher learning is a beautiful thing.

ADVERTISEMENT