ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s Hoops: Do you care?

I said what I meant. Jackson Hayes was not a guy who was “one and done” coming in to Texas. He became a one and done guy
Debatable:
2016-2017 Jarrett Allen. Record 11-22
2017-2018 Mohamed Bamba. Record 19-15
2018-2019 Jason Hayes. Record 21-16
2019-2020 Kai Jones/Will Baker Record 19-12

Reactions: diadevic
Shaka is not an X and O coach with the ability to strategically out coach anybody. He relies too heavily on having more talent and by trying to motivate players to perform. It eventually reaches a point where the fraud is exposed and players start to notice. He's a supreme woketard who has no chance of taking any team with talent to a championship. The coach at Washington is the guy to get.

Shaka is not an X and O coach with the ability to strategically out coach anybody. He relies too heavily on having more talent and by trying to motivate players to perform. It eventually reaches a point where the fraud is exposed and players start to notice. He's a supreme woketard who has no chance of taking any team with talent to a championship. The coach at Washington is the guy to get.
None of that is accurate.

Meh. This coaching staff has gotten a lot of criticism some deserved some not, but one thing they have done as good if not better than anyone is develop big guys.
What the hell!!!! We don’t even feed the big man so how the hell does he develop them???? Maybe I’m watching different games than you.

Reactions: diadevic and westx
What the hell!!!! We don’t even feed the big man so how the hell does he develop them???? Maybe I’m watching different games than you.
What are you talking about? Our entire offense or lack there of for the last 4 years have basically all come from Bemba, Simms, Hayes and Allen because none of the gourds can shoot

No it really isn’t. Players don’t buy in to Shaka? Well how is he recruiting elite talent then?

He doesn't recruit elite talent when compared to KU, Gonzaga, Kentucky, Dike, etc. Basketball 5-stars are much diiferent than football recruiting. There are tons more 5 star basketball recruits than football. Hell, Will Baker was a 5 star recruit. He recruits decent talent because he talks a great game. He's a salesman. Not a coach. He's basically John Lucas. Great motivator but an extremely ineffective coach. Rick Barnes actually recruited better talent and was a far more superior coach than Shaka Smart. He's the Tom Herman of college BBall. He belongs on a mid-major program. Thanks to Steve Patterson, we made one of the worst hires in program history. If all you want is mediocre finishes in the B12 and 1st round NCAA tourney exits then Shaka is your guy. If you want a real BBall coach, bring in Mike Hopkins from Washington. Great coach and a stand up no nonsense guy that relates very well with players.

What are you talking about? Our entire offense or lack there of for the last 4 years have basically all come from Bemba, Simms, Hayes and Allen because none of the gourds can shoot
I can agree with you on this statement as we have had good guards but they couldn't shoot to save your life. The talented bigs have been here but guard have been the one who usually lost the games. When looking at the issues for the Horns, it falls on the One and Done players. Hayes wasn't a one and done player but he was a player that the NBA drool over.
My Solution: Continue to recruit top bigs. Always recruit 2 great defenders per cycle. Always recruit 2 pg's (pass first, shoot second). Recruit 2 deadeye shooters. If you can get one from each group, You will have a great recruiting class. Bonus if you can find a guard who can defend, pass, shoot and have a 6'5 - 6'7 height frame.

Take a peek at his last 3 classes.
You mean the 3 classes that netted one lottery pick, what could be 2 more this year? Plus a 5 star big man that just transferred? Basketball recruiting is way different than football recruiting. Your not looking to bring in a ton of guys every year unless your Kentucky who turns over there roster every year. Most teams bring in 2-3 guys every year. Sometimes only 1 depending on your roster

He doesn't recruit elite talent when compared to KU, Gonzaga, Kentucky, Dike, etc. Basketball 5-stars are much diiferent than football recruiting. There are tons more 5 star basketball recruits than football. Hell, Will Baker was a 5 star recruit. He recruits decent talent because he talks a great game. He's a salesman. Not a coach. He's basically John Lucas. Great motivator but an extremely ineffective coach. Rick Barnes actually recruited better talent and was a far more superior coach than Shaka Smart. He's the Tom Herman of college BBall. He belongs on a mid-major program. Thanks to Steve Patterson, we made one of the worst hires in program history. If all you want is mediocre finishes in the B12 and 1st round NCAA tourney exits then Shaka is your guy. If you want a real BBall coach, bring in Mike Hopkins from Washington. Great coach and a stand up no nonsense guy that relates very well with players.
He doesn’t recruit elite talent???? Come on! It’s literately the only thing he’s been successful at since he’s been here. In 4 years he’s had 4 lottery picks, and has a couple more likely on the team this year. Shaka smart is actually a better recruiter than Bill Self. KU doesn’t recruit near the level of talent you would think a program like theirs would. Self is just a master at using what he has.

He doesn’t recruit elite talent???? Come on! It’s literately the only thing he’s been successful at since he’s been here. In 4 years he’s had 4 lottery picks, and has a couple more likely on the team this year. Shaka smart is actually a better recruiter than Bill Self. KU doesn’t recruit near the level of talent you would think a program like theirs would. Self is just a master at using what he has.

He's had 3-4 one and done lottery picks while Self, Few, Calipari and the Duke coach have had just as many while also developing twice as many 1st and 2nd rounders in the NBA. Even if you assume that he recruits "elite" talent, Smart still consistently finishes 4th or 5th in the Big 12 against teams with supposedly inferior talent. The dude can't coach at a high level. He's an AAU coach. Bob Huggins and Frank Martin out coach him every year with far less talent. He needs to go after this season. He'll win us about 20 games or more this year but his coaching decisions will cost us in the tournament.

Reactions: westx
You mean the 3 classes that netted one lottery pick, what could be 2 more this year? Plus a 5 star big man that just transferred? Basketball recruiting is way different than football recruiting. Your not looking to bring in a ton of guys every year unless your Kentucky who turns over there roster every year. Most teams bring in 2-3 guys every year. Sometimes only 1 depending on your roster

2021 24
2020 96
2019 17 Without Will Baker this drops to outside 50
2018 8

What would be acceptable recruiting for Texas has not occurred since 2018. Shaka Smart does not recruit well. Yes, he sells a few big names but as a team, we are well below expectations.

Shaka Smart's offense up to this season has been bad. He plays 3 guards while the rest of the league plays 2 power forward, a center, and 2 guards. Shaka's teams never win the offensive rebound category which is very important considering our poor shooting. Drtxhorn is correct. Shaka is not an X's and O's coach. I remember 2 years ago ESPN did a sideline feed for a Texas vs Kansas game. Shaka's halftime strategy was for our players to show their "mean" faces. I almost died of laughter. I wish it were on youtube.

Men up 4 on Davidson at halftime. Started out a little sluggish but picked up the pace. This team moves the ball much better than in years past

if shaka ever finds an offense.... i doubt he will, but IF he were to do that, he would be fine. he's an adult. kinda the opposite of tom-- tom has the xs and os, but not the other stuff. shaka has the other stuff-- as i said, he's an adult; seems like a competent leader; etc; -- it's just that awful, clogged toilet of an offense. somebody said they seem to move the ball better so far-- i hope that's the case. if he lucked out and avoided getting fired due to the chinavirus, and turns into the coach we kinda thought he would be... i'm good with that

if shaka ever finds an offense.... i doubt he will, but IF he were to do that, he would be fine. he's an adult. kinda the opposite of tom-- tom has the xs and os, but not the other stuff. shaka has the other stuff-- as i said, he's an adult; seems like a competent leader; etc; -- it's just that awful, clogged toilet of an offense. somebody said they seem to move the ball better so far-- i hope that's the case. if he lucked out and avoided getting fired due to the chinavirus, and turns into the coach we kinda thought he would be... i'm good with that
Yep a lot less standing around one on one type stuff in the first two games. Less forced 3’s. Most of the 3 attempts so far have been set up from good basketball. Which means if they don’t go down you can live with it. What I hate are the forced 3’s after dribbling around for 25 seconds.

just as example. Texas did not score 90 at all last year. Already did that first time out. Only scored 78 or more 3 times last year. Already done that twice in the first two games.

Last edited:
Looks like playing Indiana tomorrow afternoon. They are putting it on providence. Should be a fun game.

The passing game is looking good, haven't seen them move the ball around like. This team can do something with all that talent if they play to their abilities.

The passing game is looking good, haven't seen them move the ball around like. This team can do something with all that talent if they play to their abilities.
Yep. 6 guys in double figures. Couple things I noticed Coleman has improved his shot. That will open up the offense more. Simms is looking to throw it down every time he gets the ball. Love the aggressiveness. That’s what has been missing from his game the last few years, and once again Kai Jones is going to be a beast

Yep. 6 guys in double figures. Couple things I noticed Coleman has improved his shot. That will open up the offense more. Simms is looking to throw it down every time he gets the ball. Love the aggressiveness. That’s what has been missing from his game the last few years, and once again Kai Jones is going to be a beast

Coleman is almost looking like a complete player he also has alot of players to complement his play now so he is not having to make all the decisions. Simms is aggressive and I like that game plan for him feed him low don't think about the next step and just go up and poster someone. Kai is going to be a beast as long with Brown if both of them find themselves during the season nobody will be able to stop them both.

Coleman is almost looking like a complete player he also has alot of players to complement his play now so he is not having to make all the decisions. Simms is aggressive and I like that game plan for him feed him low don't think about the next step and just go up and poster someone. Kai is going to be a beast as long with Brown if both of them find themselves during the season nobody will be able to stop them both.
Yep. I think today you got a glimpse of why Baker bounced he just isn’t seeing the floor with Brown, Jones and Simms here

The depth is stupid this year, I guess I don't blame him but hard work does pay off.
Yep. I think Shaka probably expected Simms to be gone this year when he recruited baker and Brown. Simms injuries last year kinda changed that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT