ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s Hoops: Do you care?

Listened to the last 3 minutes in the car driving home. I think I was going way over the speed limit on the last play and hearing Craig Way going nuts on the radio.
Rather interesting that we have a 9-3 record against these guys.
Solid win and as mentioned before, will definitely increase the confidence going forward. Big XII is going to be a beast this year.

“Matt Coleman has the soft touch like Bruce Hornsby soft touch playing the piano keys”
-Bill Walton
That guy is kooky.
But I’m a Bruce Hornsby fan. That’s just the way it is.

Reactions: weevilcatch
“Matt Coleman has the soft touch like Bruce Hornsby soft touch playing the piano keys”
-Bill Walton
That guy is kooky.
But I’m a Bruce Hornsby fan. That’s just the way it is.
Bill Walton is one of those people that never quite left the 70’s lol

This was a great showing by our guys and they need to build on this early season success. Best start of the past 5 years. There's a ton of things they need to clean up - rebounding and post defense are the two biggest areas of weakness right now. Greg Brown needs to be playing mostly on the perimeter. He's stuck having to guard PF's and Centers and he's getting physically manhandled. He needs to be out on the wing to take advantage of his speed and athleticism. He's a matchup nightmare for most wings in college basketball but Shaka is playing him as a power forward right now which is not his natural position. Greg Brown is a perfect 3 and D wing similar to the likes of Kawhi Leonard, Kevin Durant or Paul George. He's that special of a talent. Shaka needs to feature him much more on both ends of the floor. If you move GB to the 3 position and start Kai and Sims at 4 and 5 we would have the most athletic and versatile lineup in the nation. GB could easily use his length and athleticism to overwhelm smaller perimeter players just like KD did in his only season at UT. This lineup also gives Coleman many more options as the quarterback. He's the guy that will determine how successful this team will be this year. His leadership and understanding of the game is what makes this team go. He's the best pg in the B12. If he goes down we're screwed. He's literally a coach on the floor and being this is his 3rd year in the program he's light years ahead of most other point guards in the ncaa.

Conference play will be huge for us and we have the talent to go very far but for me the difference will come down to coaching and execution in key situations. That's where I have little confidence in Shaka making the right decisions with matchups and play calling adjustments in close games.

Reactions: freeper
This was a great showing by our guys and they need to build on this early season success. Best start of the past 5 years. There's a ton of things they need to clean up - rebounding and post defense are the two biggest areas of weakness right now. Greg Brown needs to be playing mostly on the perimeter. He's stuck having to guard PF's and Centers and he's getting physically manhandled. He needs to be out on the wing to take advantage of his speed and athleticism. He's a matchup nightmare for most wings in college basketball but Shaka is playing him as a power forward right now which is not his natural position. Greg Brown is a perfect 3 and D wing similar to the likes of Kawhi Leonard, Kevin Durant or Paul George. He's that special of a talent. Shaka needs to feature him much more on both ends of the floor. If you move GB to the 3 position and start Kai and Sims at 4 and 5 we would have the most athletic and versatile lineup in the nation. GB could easily use his length and athleticism to overwhelm smaller perimeter players just like KD did in his only season at UT. This lineup also gives Coleman many more options as the quarterback. He's the guy that will determine how successful this team will be this year. His leadership and understanding of the game is what makes this team go. He's the best pg in the B12. If he goes down we're screwed. He's literally a coach on the floor and being this is his 3rd year in the program he's light years ahead of most other point guards in the ncaa.

Conference play will be huge for us and we have the talent to go very far but for me the difference will come down to coaching and execution in key situations. That's where I have little confidence in Shaka making the right decisions with matchups and play calling adjustments in close games.
You are right on Greg Brown. Felt like he did a better job of using his skills today than he had the previous games. The good news for Texas and Brown is they aren’t depending on him go he “the guy”so he can come along and get better as ffs season goes along.
Man the schedule is brutal this year. Villanova on Sunday, Kentucky later uh the season and obviously Baylor, tech, west VA, Kansas in conference play.

Kansas is King of the Big 12 until they are not. IMHO.
They still have to be beaten but talent wise Baylor and Texas have better rosters this year imo. This is no where near Bill Self’s best roster.

Baylor took down No. 5 Illinois tonight. Tap the breaks on Coleman being the best PG. BU has four (4!) pretty solid guards. But our middle is very thin. UT will be an interesting matchup.

Simms is a really talented guy, but just isn’t aggressive enough in the post. He should be dominating most guys he goes up against.

Well, I turned the game on with Texas leading 27-20, only to watch them give up a 12-3 run and Shaka the lead away by halftime. Off to find something else to do...

On the contrary, I've watched more Texas basketball under Shaka than any well-adjusted, non-self-loathing person should.

Whatever is analogous to PTSD for a college sports fan, I have it when it comes to Shaka's teams. I'm mostly just done with it, at least when it comes to watching live. The DVR is running, so if they win, I'll enjoy the rest of it after the fact. If not, I'll be a lot less pissed off this way.

And judging by the espn.com game tracker, I've made the right call so far.

Last edited:
Those two turnovers by Ramey and Coleman with a couple mins left really hurt the chances. Ah well. You play a tough schedule you are going to drop a couple. Just win the games your supposed to win and win a few of the toss ups.

Those two turnovers by Ramey and Coleman with a couple mins left really hurt the chances. Ah well. You play a tough schedule you are going to drop a couple. Just win the games your supposed to win and win a few of the toss ups.

How many games on the schedule this year? 25? I think 15-10 is likely, with some luck 16-9. Should be enough for a 1st round exit in the tourney!

How many games on the schedule this year? 25? I think 15-10 is likely, with some luck 16-9. Should be enough for a 1st round exit in the tourney!
27 plus the conference tournament. 22 left. 4 more non conference games 3 of which would be easy wins. If you just gave them those 3 wins plus 9 conference wins that would be 16-10. I think we will be slightly better than that. I’ll say 18-8 going in to the conference tournament. That’s of course not knowing who will play and not play from day to day.

Reactions: weevilcatch
ADVERTISEMENT