ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s Hoops: Do you care?

I missed the game, but I am looking at the box score. By the score it looked like a good defensive ball game. Very evenly as far as stats go, except the box score has one outlier:
Nova: Texas:
FG%. 24/56=42.9%. 27/60=45%
3pt%. 6/19=31.6%. 7/22=31.8%
FT%. 14/19=73.7%. 3/6 =50%

Well, actually two outliers: 1) Nova went to the line 19 times and Texas 6 times. 2) Nova was 73.7% with free throws and Texas was 50%.

This is more of the same with Shaka's teams. They keep the game on the perimeter and never drive in or take it to the paint and force the opposing team to foul.

Last edited:
This ⬆! Also as much as I’m wanting AJ to do good....Kai has to start and play more minutes than him!
Yeah I think you are going to see Kai start to take more mins from Simms. Simms just isn’t aggressive enough in the post. He should be getting a double/double every time out, and getting to the line 5-7 times a game. He’s good enough and he gets plenty of opportunities

The best lineup for this team:

PG Coleman
SG Ramey
SF Brown
PF Kai Jones
C Simms

This group defensively is virtually positionless. They can switch all of the pick and rolls plus they all have the footspeed to guard anyone on the perimeter. The length and athleticism of this lineup is ridiculous. Simms is the anchor in the middle protecting the rim. He really doesn't have to do anything offensively. We just need him to defend the paint and rebound like a fothermucker. Jones and Brown both need to develop some playmaking ability. Both of them are below average passers. Coleman and Cunningham can't be the only playmakers on the team. Championship teams always have multiple playmakers on the floor at the same time. That means Jones and Brown need to start driving relentlessly into the paint and kicking it out to an open shooter if the defense collapses into the paint. The shooters need to knock down shots consistently. If all of these things are all clicking at once, we can beat anyone in the country. It's all going to come down to coaching. So far, Shaka has Brown playing out of position and Kai is being used as an energy guy off the bench to go against the opposing team bench players. That won't get it done in the Big 12 and NCAA tournament where the rotations tighten up and only 6-7 players get to play all the meaningful minutes. He's playing an 8-9 player rotation currently. That's a big adjustment for the players who play all season with one consistent rotation then have to adjust with a brand new rotation come tournament time. He needs to start playing a consistent lineup and rotation now with his best players at each position on the floor to start the game.

The best lineup for this team:

PG Coleman
SG Ramey
SF Brown
PF Kai Jones
C Simms

This group defensively is virtually positionless. They can switch all of the pick and rolls plus they all have the footspeed to guard anyone on the perimeter. The length and athleticism of this lineup is ridiculous. Simms is the anchor in the middle protecting the rim. He really doesn't have to do anything offensively. We just need him to defend the paint and rebound like a fothermucker. Jones and Brown both need to develop some playmaking ability. Both of them are below average passers. Coleman and Cunningham can't be the only playmakers on the team. Championship teams always have multiple playmakers on the floor at the same time. That means Jones and Brown need to start driving relentlessly into the paint and kicking it out to an open shooter if the defense collapses into the paint. The shooters need to knock down shots consistently. If all of these things are all clicking at once, we can beat anyone in the country. It's all going to come down to coaching. So far, Shaka has Brown playing out of position and Kai is being used as an energy guy off the bench to go against the opposing team bench players. That won't get it done in the Big 12 and NCAA tournament where the rotations tighten up and only 6-7 players get to play all the meaningful minutes. He's playing an 8-9 player rotation currently. That's a big adjustment for the players who play all season with one consistent rotation then have to adjust with a brand new rotation come tournament time. He needs to start playing a consistent lineup and rotation now with his best players at each position on the floor to start the game.
I like that. Andrew Jones coming off the bench has a scorer. He was great on that role last year. Brown looked like he figured out how to play college basketball late in the game today.

Texas up 62-45 with 5 mins to go on Texas State. Not the prettiest game on the world but several teams around the country have struggled in these games the last couple weeks, so good to see them handle their business

Reactions: Oldmanastro
Brown with 18 points tonight. Nice to see him have a game. Maybe build some confidence as the schedule toughens

Reactions: Drtxhorn
I like when they are aggressive to the rim, let's get ready for Bailor
Yep 10 dunks tonight. That’s what this team should be able to do against a team like Texas state. Credit Texas state. Though they play tough.

BU is a Covid BBall mess. Gonzaga was on Gonzaga. But we already missed AZ St. because Drew got it. Now this one. Get it together Bears!

BU already beat No. 6 Illinois, and scheduled top ranked Gonzaga as well as Pre Season Top 20 Az St., so I don't know where you are getting this skepticism from.

Just watched today’s game. Great to see Brown really take over that game. Seems like it’s clicked for him the last couple games. Right in time. Ok state I think is in that bottom 5 behind Baylor, KU, Texas. WVU and Tech, but they are going to be a problem for teams along the way. Shaka needs to start bringing Simms off the bench. Idk what’s up with the dude, but he just isn’t the force in the post he needs to be.

You talk a lot!!! The meaning was in winning the game....not getting fired.
I assumed by “saved Shaka’s ass” and asking how long it lasts you were referring to his job. Since for most of the board it’s a foregone conclusion he’ll be fired

I was rewatching parts of the game. Heppa is the worst defensive player I have ever seen. I mean he can score, seems like a good kid, and strikes me as a leader on the team watching him on the bench but has zero clue on the defensive end of the court.

Shaka will never win the b12. He's not a good coach. His teams are soft. Too many fouls and not enough free throws.

ADVERTISEMENT