ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s Hoops: Do you care?

This team is a lot of things soft isn’t one of them.
They don't go inside well. They don't drive the lane well. They commit too many fouls. Rick Barnes teams were disciplined and went inside well. We wanted to take thenext step. Shaka wasn't the answer.

They don't go inside well. They don't drive the lane well. They commit too many fouls. Rick Barnes teams were disciplined and went inside well. We wanted to take thenext step. Shaka wasn't the answer.
Rick Barnes had LaMarcus Aldridge, Tristan Thompson, cam Ridley, dexter Pittman, etc. that helps the post game. Simms is not those guys. He should be, but he isn’t. Besides the game is really moving away from that type of play anyway

Rick Barnes had LaMarcus Aldridge, Tristan Thompson, cam Ridley, dexter Pittman, etc. that helps the post game. Simms is not those guys. He should be, but he isn’t. Besides the game is really moving away from that type of play anyway

Gotta recruit the players to be good.

Having a bunch of shooting guards on the floor do shoot around for 40 minutes is not basketball.

I think many of the coaches don't want to teach the x's and o's of offense. Defense is much easier if the team has athletes like Texas does. It's also much easier to pass the ball around the perimeter and jack up a 3 instead of yelling at your team to push the ball inside. I see Shaka as taking the path of least resistance. He's an AAU coach at heart.

Shaka has had Mo Bamba, Jarrett Allen, Jaxson Hayes. All first round picks - two in the lottery. And hardly any impact on UT BBall. That's not a criticism of the players.

Shaka has had Mo Bamba, Jarrett Allen, Jaxson Hayes. All first round picks - two in the lottery. And hardly any impact on UT BBall. That's not a criticism of the players.
Right and when he has those guys we were good in the post lol. Simms has the skills to be as good a big man as there is. He just doesn’t play with the same intensity and toughness that his teammates do, and you can’t coach that you either have it or don’t

Right and when he has those guys we were good in the post lol. Simms has the skills to be as good a big man as there is. He just doesn’t play with the same intensity and toughness that his teammates do, and you can’t coach that you either have it or don’t
Good? More like squandered opportunity!

Jarrett Allen 2016-2017
Team Record 11-22
Conference Record 4-14

Mo Bamba 2017-2018
Team Record 19-15
Conference Record 8-10

Jaxson Hayes 2018-2019
Team Record 21-16
Conference Record 8-10

Didn’t have the guard play when Allen was there. I think when Shaka recruited Allen he did so thinking Taylor was going to come back. When that didn’t happen it left a hole.

the reality is recruiting guys like Bamba and Allen isn’t going to get you a winner. Guys like that will be much better pros then they will be college players. I’m glad Shaka has moved away from that a bit. If I’m recruiting big men I’d much rather take guys like Kai Jones and Jackson Hays who are more projectable than sure fire one and dones

Today we have Kansas, 11am. We are sitting at #9, them at #3, so a true test to see where we are at.
Hook Em

A letter to Shaka,
By clob

Dear Shaka,

Fvcking sucks, don't it?

This ain't Kenyon college anymore. You ain't the starting point guard anymore. VCU? Nah. Remember that one year you spent at Florida as an assistant? Remember watching Billy Donovan and his slicked coif grow damp with sweat after every game? How bright the lights were on him? How you longed for the day where you had YOUR moment in the sun?

Well my dude-- after five years of stinking up the joint, guess what?

Today's your day, MoFo.

Today is the day that you can turn back all the naysayers and make it right with the folks like me that supported you. I knew you could get us here, I just thought you'd do it before you got gray hairs on your ball sack. Don't ask how I know. My spies are everywhere.

Today, you can usher Texas one giant leap toward legitimacy again in basketball. We don't demand a final four every year, but a sweet 16 would be nice. And today is a chance for you to get us on that path.

You wanted your Billy Donovan moment, well, here it is. Now go make us proud or be prepared to GTFO of dodge.

I expect to see Texas work the big guys today. KU is going to have trouble with Kai Jones, Simms, and brown. Hamm and heppa are out due to Covid protocols. Hamm will be a loss. He’s brings some toughness off the bench.

Kansas doesn’t have a true point guard. With a defensive team like Texas that is getting exposed. 4 quick points off of two turnovers

Texas takes - 37-28 lead to the half. Should be more honestly. Too many unnecessary mistakes. Kinda what I thought would happen though Simms and Jones are causing trouble for KU

Reactions: Oldmanastro
This team has all the talent to be the top defensive team in the country. The only thing that keeps me from feeling 100% confident in them is with Shaka's decisions with matchups and play calling in big game situations. At some point, we're going to be in a tight game and he's going to have make decisions and call plays out of timeouts that actually work. Right now, we can beat KU by 25 but turn around and lose to OU or WV by 20 a week later. Not enough consistency in big games yet. If we win the next 3-4 conference games then I'll start to believe. It all starts on the defensive end. They establish consistency and toughness on that end they will give themselves a chance to go deep in the tournament.

New AP rankings moved the boys up to #4.
Let’s hope they can hang on. They are looking good.
Also saw a report they will be holding the whole tourney in Indianapolis.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
New AP rankings moved the boys up to #4.
Let’s hope they can hang on. They are looking good.
Also saw a report they will be holding the whole tourney in Indianapolis.
Yeah they have an interesting set up in Indy. Should be fun and different right now Texas is in the running for a #1 seed. Just win the games your supposed to win and pick up another quality win or two and probably looking at no worse than a 3 seed

Kai Jones needs to play more minutes. This kid is an absolute stud and is getting better each time he steps out on the court. He needs to be our go to guy when we need a basket. He’s 6’11” and can defend, shoot and pass at a high level. He can handle the ball well enough to run the offense through him. He needs to touch the ball on every possession. Nobody can guard him due to his size and length. He’s definitely a lottery pick next nba draft. Maybe even top 5.

Reactions: westx
Not sure about the top 5.......but yes it’s a crime that he’s not starting.

ADVERTISEMENT